Canned crowd noise during Corona - Yay or Nay?

klayton88

Just watched Barca and for 90 mins it was fan noise. It was awful. Good in spells but for a solid 90 mins awful. Then the guy on the buttons for cheers when the goals went in was slow to react and every goal cheer was late. Good idea in short spells but for a constant game, no way.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
But it’s not the reality during those games. It would be an artificial addition. The players won’t be hearing it so they’ll be playing in silence but the audience will be patronized with fake noises because we’re too stupid to watch actual football. The reason the atmosphere and crowd noises make it a better viewing for me is because the players react off it.

Would Mctominay’s goal against city be celebrated to that extent with that amount of passion in a silent ground? Probably not. But we’ll be hearing an appropriate crowd response. That just causes a disconnect between what’s really happening.
I agree

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I thought it’d be rubbish but it’s actually pretty clever & makes the game so much more watchable.
at one stage in a game, I thought "why have they let some people in..." and then remembered. Sound idea is a far better than than cardboard cut outs in seats!

RU Devil

As long as the crowd noise isn't too loud, I rather prefer the piped in crowd noise, at least when I watch it on the telly. Some of the sound mixing is rather creative & interactive. The NBCSN commentators for the Aston Villa/Sheffield Utd match noted that they didn't hear the 'dubbed' in crowd noise in the first half, which made the match a bit off for them. Watching the Coppa Italia match without noise gives it the feel of a reserve or underage match being broadcast by some bored parents.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The noise they were playing for tonight’s matches was awful. It was actually too loud, could hardly hear yourself think. Perhaps I was missing the rendition of “the referee’s a wanker” every time Micheal Oliver blew the whistle after the disallowed goal.

Dan_F

Will wait and see how it goes for a team that has more than two chants. Genuinely think blue moon was sung once every two minutes.

I don’t mind it, but it’s a bit weird at times, no reaction cheering. Or if you’re only half watching, it’s surprising how much you rely on fan noise to know what’s going on.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
My theory is that the people who need the fake crowd noise are the same people who need a laugh track to tell them what's funny on a comedy show. :wenger:

CallMeV

Because of its less than perfect implementation it was a bit distracting at times. But I much prefer it to a totally flat atmosphere.

I think the Bundesliga games I've watched with crowd noise has been a lot more to the point in terms of reactions. Ohhhh on missed chances, Buuuuhh on yellow cards etc, clapping when home team is winning the ball back, and so on. And it's rapid reactions, almost real time. PL is more a steady buzz whatever happens, except for goals, that come with a three second delayed cheer.

In BL it works great. In PL, not so much- but still better than nothing, imo.

GenZRed

I'm not a fan. Seems pretentious, fake. Might as well stick blow up dolls of real humans for half of City's stadium when things get back to normal.

Zoo

I think the Bundesliga games I've watched with crowd noise has been a lot more to the point in terms of reactions. Ohhhh on missed chances, Buuuuhh on yellow cards etc, clapping when home team is winning the ball back, and so on. And it's rapid reactions, almost real time. PL is more a steady buzz whatever happens, except for goals, that come with a three second delayed cheer.

In BL it works great. In PL, not so much- but still better than nothing, imo.
Bundesliga wasn’t great at first either but there has been a definite improvement in the last 2 rounds of fixtures and now it’s really good. Hopefully the PL improves.

saivet

I thought the fan noise was too loud on Sky Sports. With the Bundesliga on BT is seemed quieter and I thought worked well as background noise. Given we know it's fake, I prefer the quieter level of fan noise.

That being said, I've been watching the Bundesliga on my laptop and yesterdays PL games on TV, so the acoustics may be a factor.

RUCK4444

I thought the fan noise was too loud on Sky Sports. With the Bundesliga on BT is seemed quieter and I thought worked well as background noise. Given we know it's fake, I prefer the quieter level of fan noise.

That being said, I've been watching the Bundesliga on my laptop and yesterdays PL games on TV, so the acoustics may be a factor.
In fairness portraying a packed crowd at the Etihad was always going to be a struggle to pull off. :wenger:

I prefer it to having no noise, I like to have the footy on in the background and with no crowd noise it doesn’t feel right.

I’m not sure if I will like it when a United game is on because then I’m in absolute game-mode and any nonsense I will probably want to filter out ha

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
They should set up a conference call that can handle all the fans. We can all dial in and sing down the phone with it being piped into the stadium. You'd get a comical 'Mexican wave' style cheer when the goals go in due to the broadcast delay, internet delay and stream delays but it might work :D

twitter thread suggester
The English version of canned noise is terrible! Way too loud and noisy. By far the worst effect by any league.

Falcow

The English version of canned noise is terrible! Way too loud and noisy. By far the worst effect by any league.
Agree fully. It might be ok if it wasnt so loud and out of sync. It needs to be more background noise given the stadium is empty.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Eugh, watched United on a stream which had it on, that was horrible.

Someone mentioned vuvuzelas and that's what it reminded me of. Constant noise for the whole game, no ebbs and flows and it feels like my ears have been assaulted. Feel strangely mentally because of it.

Was I imagining it, or did the sound guy think Martial's saved shot that was tipped over went in for a split second? Thought I heard cheering very briefly before it changed.

OldTrevil

It's an abomination, I'd rather listen to what's actually going on on the pitch than fake crowd noise and biased commentary. I'm now watching these games on mute and playing my own music

acnumber9

How difficult is it for them to actually get this right? The first while it was so loud you couldn’t hear the commentary and now fans are whispering their chants. Absolute shite.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How difficult is it for them to actually get this right? The first while it was so loud you couldn’t hear the commentary and now fans are whispering their chants. Absolute shite.
It's pissing me off. We give them so much money and they can't even get crowd noises right.

fps

Really like no crowd noise, just need no commentators too and I’m sorted.

twitter thread suggester
No canned noise for Europa League matches (at least here in Denmark)

I miss it.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Listening to the audio stream for the LASK game and for that it works perfectly bc its generally subdued anyway during those so it comes across as pretty natural.

mu4c_20le

I get tired of it after awhile, even if its done well. The jeers after a questionable decision always makes me laugh.

Dan_F

I’ve been mostly watching with the crowd noise, as that’s what has been on the streams I use. Trying the BT extra one tonight, it’s actually not too bad in silence. At least the cheers from the bench are something close to normality, instead of waiting for a second for someone to press a button.

alexanderplatz

Mostly terrible. In terms of insight I don’t know why you would turn down the opportunity to hear the instructions from the sidelines and to listen to the players speaking to each other. Won’t have that in future so at least it is cool to hear it now. Always funny to hear a player swearing after they miss a chance! Only one downside, hearing the player after they are injured can be unsettling. Brandon genuinely sounded frightened that he had done some more serious damage to himself when he got that head injury vs Southampton - that wasn’t nice

HarryRedCrumbs

A great big horse'y neighhhh lad! It's awful and completely fake so what is the point of it...? No fans are there so why would you want some tool with a row of buttons trying to convince you otherwise.... Tack on to that the fact that they can't even get the noises in sync with the action. Tragic

I would rather hear what the players can hear and get an interesting insight in to whats being shouted from the bench.

Robertd0803

I even turned the crowd noise off on Fifa recently. Hate the fake crowd noise.