Capello on Italian football

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't know why there are so many financial troubles. Italian league has the third most money of the top 5 leagues (TV deal), and it is almost tied with spain for the second place. Italian teams should be doing reasonably well financially.
Serie A has the 4th most money from TV rights and isn't even close to Spain actually

Kag

He’s right about the strikers. Lukaku banging them in over there was as predictable as it gets. Not as easy elsewhere.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I think a lot of it has to do with money, no? I imagine Lukaka would tear the bundesliga as well

nygaard

That's why I think Lautaro will be massively overpriced. Good striker with workrate but not elite

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
Serie A has the 4th most money from TV rights and isn't even close to Spain actually
Oh, I have been checking sources, and there are not two that say the same, I fear. Example,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_domestic_football_league_broadcast_deals_by_country

Does not agree with you.

This one does though

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/202...n-leagues-to-make-us11-billion-from-football/

This one (albeit older) agrees with neither of the above:

https://www.danielgeey.com/post/football-broadcasting-deals-across-the-top-5-european-leagues/

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
He shouldn't put them down, so much. Try being an England fan. At least they win stuff. England won't win anything for decades more.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He shouldn't put them down, so much. Try being an England fan. At least they win stuff. England won't win anything for decades more.
He seems to have a hard on for England which is peculiar as he never coached an English club, seems to really like the English football.

He's also said that he has England as one of the favorites for the world cup because it's going to be held in fall and so the players will be fresh, unlike say the Liverpool side in the final which was clearly exhausted.

His words.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
He seems to have a hard on for England which is peculiar as he never coached an English club, seems to really like the English football.

He's also said that he has England as one of the favorites for the world cup because it's going to be held in fall and so the players will be fresh, unlike say the Liverpool side in the final which was clearly exhausted.

His words.
Well, he did manage them!

Bepi

Supports
Juventus

His words.
Capello was the England NT coach for five years and most notably at WC 2010, the one with Lampard’s ghost goal.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Capello was the England NT coach for five years and most notably at WC 2010, the one with Lampard’s ghost goal.
Yeah I know that's why I said an English club.
His tenure at the national team seemed very phoned in, I don't think he gave a shit.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh, I have been checking sources, and there are not two that say the same, I fear. Example,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_domestic_football_league_broadcast_deals_by_country

Does not agree with you.

This one does though

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/202...n-leagues-to-make-us11-billion-from-football/

https://www.danielgeey.com/post/football-broadcasting-deals-across-the-top-5-european-leagues/
Those are only listing the domestic rights, the difference is in how they are reported - wikipedia does so per season while the other link is about totals

It's missing international rights

https://www.calcioefinanza.it/2022/05/12/liga-spagnola-ricavi-diritti-tv/

Article is in italian, but the gist of it is LaLiga made 1.1B out of domestic rights and 800M from international rights for this season. Serie A made 900M domestically, and 200M internationally. So there's a 800M difference between serie A and la liga this season in terms of TV money

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah I know that's why I said an English club.
His tenure at the national team seemed very phoned in, I don't think he gave a shit.
He did actually. Not the type to phone a job in at all. Just got the pre-WC training camp wrong, by his own admission. He's also always held that the english football season was the biggest thing holding england back in tournaments

Afganitia

Supports
Girona
Those are only listing the domestic rights, the difference is in how they are reported - wikipedia does so per season while the other link is about totals

It's missing international rights

https://www.calcioefinanza.it/2022/05/12/liga-spagnola-ricavi-diritti-tv/

Article is in italian, but the gist of it is LaLiga made 1.1B out of domestic rights and 800M from international rights for this season. Serie A made 900M domestically, and 200M internationally. So there's a 800M difference between serie A and la liga this season in terms of TV money
That's very little international cash! And I thought our federation president was bad enough.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
That's very little international cash! And I thought our federation president was bad enough.
Bundesliga doesn't make a lot of overseas money either. It's not so easy when you didn't have large colonial empire. ;)

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
This interview is a bit old(after Italy's failure to qualify ) but I found it interesting.
Here's the Interview .

This part may pick your interest as it's a jab at some foreign strikers, fair to say that he doesn't rate the likes of lukaku

he also added

Interesting insights some of which i think applies to United as well.

I apologize in advanced if this doesn't deserve a thread, I wanted to bump an older thread but couldn't find a suitable one so I just made a new onw.
The guy is a boomerist dinosaur who doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground these days.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Showing my ignorance as I may well be, could someone please enlighten me re: "Pep's teams don't play vertical passes"?

I don't watch entire matches of Pep's teams as I find them somewhat boring (effective as hell obviously but it's a different discussion), but I do know how his teams play as I do watch footie regularly... While his teams play far less risky passes than any other team that comes to mind, surely you can't get to the opponent's box only passing sideways?

Has Pep himself ever mentioned such a 'rule'? Does he only allow his players to pass vertically in the final third of the pitch or something similar?
Or maybe I'm just confusing forward passing with vertical passing, as in Pep doesn't allow his players to pass at a 180-degree angle (sounds absurd)?

I realize it's a tad pedantic on my part but I was reading Capello's words and was thinking "wtf does that mean".
What is a risky pass? His teams don't play imprecise football if that's what taking a risk is. They just suffocate you with keep ball in amongst the forward passing which makes people think it's "safe".

VanDeBank

Ma’am

Does not agree with you.

This one does though

The draw of Barca and RM abroad is greater than all the Italian clubs combined. La Liga viewership is higher than Serie A's in most countries, especially globally. It's highly unlikely La Liga's tv money doesn't exceed Serie A's.

Pintu

The draw of Barca and RM abroad is greater than all the Italian clubs combined. La Liga viewership is higher than Serie A's in most countries, especially globally. It's highly unlikely La Liga's tv money doesn't exceed Serie A's.
That's true about all leagues, probably true about the PL if you exclude the oil clubs... But the other PL clubs are turning that now. We will soon have N'Castle fans everywhere in China and Ghana.

The Italian domestic market is crippled by consumer-protection rules. Sky (due to their "dominant position") wasn't capable of buying exclusive rights, if they'd won the auction they'd be forced to either sell that exclusivity or share them with another provider. And another group (Discovery or Dazn) won thanks to that.

This is from 20/21, La Liga was making more than double what Serie A was making abroad (contract sold in 2017 when la Liga had Messi v Ronaldo, and was clearly the best performing league in Europe). In the last contract, Serie A lost over 100M because of a deteriorated relationship with Qatari giant BeIn sports, but they doubled their income in the US and some other markets.

The french tv rights also lost circa 400M from their domestic rigths because of Mediapro. The PL is the only league constantly making bigger money from a cycle to the next. The oil owners bring with them their TV investors.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Used to be Italy had 3 of the 5 most followed teams in the world. How the mighty have fallen...

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The key passes thing is important. I absolutely can't stand those twitter player summaries that go :

5 tackles on.
93 percent pass completed
2.35 XG

"vital" (or some dramatic one word shite)

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
Keep in mind that Serie A is broadcasting Serie A for free in the MENA region, apparently, as they failed to strike a deal. Even Australia got done last minute.

It's run by morons. So yes, broadcasting rights SHOULD be higher, and will be higher. But at present, lower than should be, due to pure stupidity at a bureaucratic level, as per Italy.

ScholesyTheWise

People often use "vertical " as another way of saying "direct."

Generally, a pass is vertical if it's roughly parallel to the touchline, horizontal if it's roughly parallel to the goal line and diagonal if it's neither of the former two.

City - most positional play possession teams really - generally stagger their lines to make diagonal passes happen more naturally to advance up the pitch. You can see that in the triangles and rondos they create. Diagonal passes also go really well with vertical runners. City's half-space crosses and cut backs are both example of that kind of play in the final third.

Vertical passes don't have to be played over everyone's head, but when used in build-up it's usually with a view to breaking one or more opposition lines in a single play.

Off the top of my head, Leipzig under Nagelsmann and Inter under Conte I seem to remember heavily relying on low driven passes from centre halves into a forward, who would then lay it off for an onrushing midfielder/wingback.

Every team uses every pass sometimes, but obviously some just lean more heavily on a particular type - usually dependant on their underlying structure and how individual players prefer to receive.

Just realised how much I've waffled so TLDR: diagonal passes exist!
Very nicely explained, don't think you've waffled as much as you feared ;) appreciated, thanks!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What is a risky pass? His teams don't play imprecise football if that's what taking a risk is. They just suffocate you with keep ball in amongst the forward passing which makes people think it's "safe".
People would take less goals scored (his teams usually score most goals in the league) for more "directness", because of... vibes and Inshallah?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Why is Juve’s stadium so small, by the way?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Mostly to foster a more compact atmosphere (which creates a level of real-time support and intimacy that is fairly distinct in Serie A football), and also generate better return on investment in an era where matchday revenue is maybe only 10% of the overall pie at best (and is not as important as in the past, vis-à-vis the commercial or broadcasting streams). The Stadio delle Alpi was often half-empty even when Juventus were super successful under Lippi or Capello, so building another 70,000+ capacity stadium when the demand wasn't there would have been imprudent considering the league as a whole had declined from its absolute peak (if there's enough sustained clamor and Juventus' pragmatic management is convinced that they can sell out on a regular basis, the current stadium has the potential to be expanded by about 10,000—20,000 seats anyway).

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
That's why they're winning. They dont accept mediocrity
I don't think it's about accepting mediocrity or not.

Italy produce way better managers than England.

Mancini(a great manager) without being an all time great italian manager like Sacchi,Lippi, Ancelotti,Capello or Trappatoni is way better than all english managers in the last 30 years.

Southgate is doing well, despite all the criticism he receives for not playing attractive football.

Pragmatism has always been the way in international football, he still would get roasted if England plays attractive football and don't win anything.
Playing pretty football and getting praised despite not winning anything only happens in small nations.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
cause it's cheaper to build,maintain and fill.
As other said Delle Alpi was most of the times half full even when the team had the best players possible (Zidane,Del Piero,Davids,Nedved and so on and on) so they didn't want to risk to build a cathedral in the desert spending much more to build it.
Some argued that Delle Alpi was mostly empty due to how shitty it was to watch a game there and so full only for big games but then when you check how much other teams spent to build larger stadiums and how little Juventus (Exor) spent to build Allianz Stadium I wouldn't blame for their choice.
The only downside is that price for game and season ticket skyrocked over the year.
In 2011 the cheapest season ticket was 275€ nowdays 690€.
If the stadium was let says 60-70k seats maybe prices would be lower for average fans.
Specially in a country like Italy that struggle economically.
It's madness how Juventus tickets price policy goes for a country like Italy.
When you have Germany with greater economic income from workers but much cheaper game and season tickets!
Seeing Serie A always half empty stadiums and with nutty priced made for milking fans.... specially from smaller teams it's so dumb...

Reactions: Invictus

Pintu

If the stadium was let says 60-70k seats maybe prices would be lower for average fans.
When you have Germany with greater economic income from workers but much cheaper game and season tickets!
This is not straightforward though. North Italy is as rich as north Europe. And south Italy is as poor as south Europe. So basically people in the north (where Juve and the Milano clubs are based) can afford high priced tickets. Or at least enough people can.

This is from 2015, but the gap hasn’t changed much. Correct me if I am mistaken.

Last edited:

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
cause it's cheaper to build,maintain and fill.
As other said Delle Alpi was most of the times half full even when the team had the best players possible (Zidane,Del Piero,Davids,Nedved and so on and on) so they didn't want to risk to build a cathedral in the desert spending much more to build it.
Some argued that Delle Alpi was mostly empty due to how shitty it was to watch a game there and so full only for big games but then when you check how much other teams spent to build larger stadiums and how little Juventus (Exor) spent to build Allianz Stadium I wouldn't blame for their choice.
The only downside is that price for game and season ticket skyrocked over the year.
Seeing Serie A always half empty stadiums and with nutty priced made for milking fans.... specially from smaller teams it's so dumb...
690€ for like 19 home matches? That's like 37€ per match, and we are not adding other costs like transportation and food inside the stadium.

Whenever I think of, sometimes I feel 45 minutes is too cheap compared to other sports. We pay huge sums of money for weekly entertainment that's way too overpriced.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
690€ for like 19 home matches? That's like 37€ per match, and we are not adding other costs like transportation and food inside the stadium.

Whenever I think of, sometimes I feel 45 minutes is too cheap compared to other sports. We pay huge sums of money for weekly entertainment that's way too overpriced.
These mad lads in Italy actually play 90 minutes per match so it all evens out.

Arios

Supports
Juventus

zeegermans make a kill by selling beer which overtake their ticket sales income.
Clubs like Bayern sold out their stadium for the whole season by August as they sell all their tickets for home games in summer before the season start...
Which actually is very smart thing to do....

So expensive and managed badly is how I would sum italian price to follow football games.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He did actually. Not the type to phone a job in at all. Just got the pre-WC training camp wrong, by his own admission. He's also always held that the english football season was the biggest thing holding england back in tournaments
Interesting to hear, always thought he didn't give a shit and looked at the job as a retirement plan, but yeah knowing his personality he did probably try to do well.
The guy is a boomerist dinosaur who doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground these days.
I mean he obviously is a bit of a boomer *in my day* type of guy but come on, he was one of the greatest managers ever, his words hold some weight still.