Captain to the rescue

Chief123

Surely we’ve found our new captain? Gigantic difference in influence and presence to our current one.

Surely we are all unanimous Casemiro is the best choice of captain now?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
A new player should never be made captain right away. Maguire shouldn’t have even got it as soon as he did.

Chief123

We’ve not only signed one of the best in his position, he’s got a physical presence (which helps our set pieces weakness), he commands respect and is in the perfect position on the pitch to lead from as captain.

TsuWave

Is Casemiro fluent in English?

Either way, a team that has Ronaldo (for now), Varane and Casemiro shouldn’t be captained by Maguire

Chief123

A new player should never be made captain right away. Maguire shouldn’t have even got it as soon as he did.
I agree but it’s a sign of how bad a state our lack of leaders is. When the difference between the new signing and the rest is so big, I think we have to make an exception.

It seems absurd Maguire would be captain to Casemiro.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Making a new player, who only know a couple of his new teammates captain, is just weird.

Chief123

Is Casemiro fluent in English?

Either way, a team that has Ronaldo (for now), Varane and Casemiro shouldn’t be captained by Maguire
To be fair even though Maguire speaks English, he’s the most uninspiring person when he talks. Casemiro would just have to look at you to know what he meant.

Chief123

Making a new player, who only know a couple of his new teammates captain, is just weird.
I don’t think ETH would change it immediately. But I’d be surprised if we dont start Casemiro as captain.

Fishy

Everyone who has ever managed a team or any kind of performance group knows that you do not give main responsibility to the very new guy. Suggest close thread. The captain in the modern game is likely more like a symbolic figure anyway, we need overall more leader type personalities in the team and I think Casemiro will aid plenty there (does he speak English by the way?). Bottom line, we do not need to formalize this any further.

Last edited:

GreatDane

I agree but it’s a sign of how bad a state our lack of leaders is. When the difference between the new signing and the rest is so big, I think we have to make an exception.

It seems absurd Maguire would be captain to Casemiro.
He'll be the de facto captain in no time.

Tap

Everyone who has ever managed a team or any kind of performance group knows that you do not give main responsibility to the very new guy. Suggest close thread. The captain in the modern game is likely more like a symbolic figure anyway, we need overall more leader type personalities in the team and I think Casemiro will aid plenty there (does he speak English by the way?). Bottom line, we do not need to formalize this any further.
If the captain in the modern game is a symbolic figure then I don’t see how giving Casemiro the armband is burdening him with the main responsibility. Your points contradict each other.

Nonetheless, i am fine with Maguire holding onto the armband for this season, let Casemiro ease into the team and assess the suitability of Casemiro to be captain next season.

Last edited:

m1tch

If Maguire is on the bench (not beyond the realms of possibility) then someone else will have the armband for those games. Ronaldo or Varane in those instances if either are here/fit respectively.

Casemiro next season though, as others have said, it's not ideal giving it the new guy for either party.

Thom Merrilin

I don't think a new player should be given the captains role right away. If he proves to be the right man for the job over several months then I'd consider it but in an ideal world the captain earns his place over at least a full season.

TheLord

The best thing our captain will have ever done is to leave for Chelsea for a hefty sum now, freeing the playing slot and wages for another defender to come in. That would be a terrific transfer window then.

justboy68

I agree with those saying he will be captain by next season. Or maybe even January. Let him settle in a bit and then hand it to him.

Tap

I don't think a new player should be given the captains role right away. If he proves to be the right man for the job over several months then I'd consider it but in an ideal world the captain earns his place over at least a full season.
Which is something Maguire has not done.

Nonetheless, we have to live with Solskaear’s mistake and hopefully, Casemiro is deemed suitable for the role next season.

Last edited:

Ema_datsi

Wish there were shoot interviews like in wrestling - so we can finally hear the story of why that gremlin Ole made McGuire the Captain, and why RR and ETH persisted with this guy. He may have cost 80 mil, but the amount of angst and anger this guy engenders in the fanbase has cost the club even more; yet another example of the Glazer’s genius business practices.

Boondog

Casemiro probably already knows he's captain. Give him the band when he walks through the door and close the door behind him so they can sort their shit.

R'hllor

Oh yea lets give an armand again to someone who just joined, we should try to beat Oles record with current one while we at it, time starts from the moment he signs a dot.

Boondog

Oh yea lets give an armand again to someone who just joined, we should try to beat Oles record with current one while we at it, time starts from the moment he signs a dot.
Who else would you give it to. This is the problem. Not a lot of choices at least with Casemiro he chose to come to this mess and is still at the top of his game. In the crunch that's a guy you want this locker room looking to.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Just because you wear the armband doesn’t mean the ones who don’t wear the armband can’t take a lead others including leading the one who wears the armband. If Maguire leaves to chelsea assume it becomes reality, I will give it to Bruno as temporary and then next season we will re-assess again.

Foxbatt

Don't want Rashford to call him a knob head. He won't understand. :lol:

Chief123

Comparing giving the armband to Casemiro and Maguire is pretty ludicrous.

It’s not the timing that’s the bigger problem, it’s the character of the player.

Classnordic

Why is it weird to sign a captain if your team has horrible leadership? We desperately need change.

Last edited:

R'hllor

Comparing giving the armband to Casemiro and Maguire is pretty ludicrous.

It’s not the timing that’s the bigger problem, it’s the character of the player.
Either way, character or not, giving it to someone who just signed for you is beyond stupid, just stinks on so many levels.

el3mel

Ronaldo should be the captain if he ends up staying. Yeah I know he doesn't want to stay and all that but there's no better option.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Who wears the armband matters more to the fans than it does to the players. Leaders are going to lead whether they wear the armband or not. Besides, if Maguire wasn't wearing the armband then who would you scapegoat?