Carabao Cup semifinals

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No runners, no physical presence. 3 Spurs defenders basically free at any time to clean up any loose balls. Just a weird setup.
They had no physical presence because none of their players have it. No runners too is down to the type of players. It is a failing of Sarri to be sure, but changing 28-30 year old players isn't easy

PedroMendez

Acolyte
It's weird to start with hazard as #9 and still expect him to pick up the ball deep in midfield to drive it forward.
For all the talk about sarri being this amazing coach, almost anything meaningful comes from hazard's individual quality.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It's weird to start with hazard as #9 and still expect him to pick up the ball deep in midfield to drive it forward.
For all the talk about sarri being this amazing coach, almost anything meaningful comes from hazard's individual quality.
He has not won anything either has he? This talk about Napoli, they never won anything under him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I just find then a bit underwhelming.
It could be seen from a mile away to be honest. But the caftards went way over the top because they had a good start. This squad is not built for his style of play.

They had no physical presence because none of their players have it. No runners too is down to the type of players. It is a failing of Sarri to be sure, but changing 28-30 year old players isn't easy
Yes, that is obvious to see when he first came. This squad was not suited to his style of play but the caftards thought he had it all in place and he was a magician.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Chelsea missed the trick with not signing a striker. They should've gone for Lewandowski when he was whoring himself out and Bayern were tired of his shit. Throw a lot of money at him and Bayern and they'd have him.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's properly dull. We've had a stinker yet they're barely actually threatened us despite having a vast majority of the ball. It's all very comfortable, and whilst a proper striker would go a long way for them I don't think it would suddenly make their football super exciting. They are totally reliant on Hazard to create any dangerous situation.
It helps to have arguably the best centreback pairing in Europe.

I'm concerned for Sunday, especially if Lukaku leads then line. Less so if it is Rashford.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Chelsea missed the trick with not signing a striker. They should've gone for Lewandowski when he was whoring himself out and Bayern were tired of his shit. Throw a lot of money at him and Bayern and they'd have him.
Tony Cascarino was talking at the weekend and he said this team is not set up for an out and out striker, even though they had been linked with a couple.

RedCurry

Chelsea are so toothless up front. They have one of the best headers of the ball playing as a striker and not one ball for him to contest aerially.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
1 minute to go and Chelsea trying to pass it into the net. :lol:

saivet

Well at least that's put me in a mood ready for sleep.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Tony Cascarino was talking at the weekend and he said this team is not set up for an out and out striker, even though they had been linked with a couple.
Don't think I entirely understand this concept or agree with it. Just because Mertens worked as a #9 for Napoli it doesn't mean he could translate the same to Hazard playing wise. EPL is far more physical and Lewy would find himself very well here. Even at Napoli, Mertens wasn't a #9 before Milik got his knees fecked with ACL so Sarri knows how to work with more of an out and out striker.

I think that this Hazard as a #9 is some kind of a false #9 meme.

Edit: matter -> mean.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sarri's failing by not adapting to his players

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Glory, glory Tottenham Hotspur. :lol:

Mick321

Pretty comfortable for Spurs in the end. Second leg gonna be interesting.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
We've played very well, no striker on for 80 mins. Giroud only two days of training. Second leg hopefully we'll have replaced Morata, Son will be missing. We play like that confident we'll go through.

Just the one error with our offside trap. CHO needs to start every match now. I expected us to play way more defensively than that.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't think I entirely understand this concept or agree with it. Just because Mertens worked as a #9 for Napoli it doesn't mean he could translate the same to Hazard playing wise. EPL is far more physical and Lewy would find himself very well here. Even at Napoli, Mertens wasn't a #9 before Milik got his knees fecked with ACL so Sarri knows how to work with more of an out and out striker.

I think that this Hazard as a #9 is some kind of a false #9 meme.

Edit: matter -> mean.
Nah, more to do with Morata being useless and Giroud just came back from an injury

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
We’ve got far more about us than Chelsea up front. Looking forward to Sunday.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We’ve got far more about us than Chelsea up front. Looking forward to Sunday.

I expect us to be far better on Sunday, I think tonight we played within ourselves and didn't play with the same intensity we will bring to the league game. I doubt we'll even be recognisable.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Is this the best Chelsea can show? Meh...i felt asleep on the sofa in the second half. Nothing different from Conte.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Is this the best Chelsea can show? Meh...i felt asleep on the sofa in the second half. Nothing different from Conte.
We were the worst I've seen us all season and still won, and I wasn't even slightly uncomfortable for the rest of the game :lol:.

This Chelsea are the opposite of what they built so much success on in recent times. Just totally blunt. Yeah they pressed and passed well, but without Hazard they have nobody who is even remotely dangerous.