Carlos Quieroz - DoF

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
i am genuinely curious why the name of Carlos Quieroz has not come up more often with regards to the vacant (perhaps mythical) DoF role. I am struggling to think of a better fit for the job.

- Is a cultural fit at the club, having coached here through our most successful era. He has friends and relationships in place already.
- He has a vast network of agents, players, coaches and chairmen.
- He’s hugely experienced in world football.
- He speaks multiple languages fluently.
- He’s well respected across Europe and the world.
- He’s familiar with Ole, having coached him through the early to mid 2000s.
- He is a superb tactical coach who must be extremely adept at understanding how players fit into systems, making him an outstanding choice for identifying required talent profiles.
- He’s a strong character known to stand up to bad behaviour, including a bust up with Roy Keane that he won. Demonstrating strong principles and a disciplined culture.
- He’s been beloved by many players, including former stars like Ronaldo, who described him as like a father figure. Demonstrating the ability to provide leadership.
- He was arguably our best ever No.2, demonstrating an ability to work as part of a team and not be the sole decision maker.
- He fits the Manchester United DNA that Ole and the board seem so desperate to return to.
- He loves the club.

Tell me why I am wrong. He blows any of the other candidates I’ve heard about - mainly ex players - out of the water as far as I am concerned. I am sure it would get the seal of approval from Fergie too.

The talent acquisition strategy of our club is laughable. This appointment would make far too much sense to actually happen.

Bondi77

He would get my vote.
He has great football experience at every level and he knows our club and is a lot better proposition than a player who has just played for our club ans was popular as a player but that is his only experience.

edcunited1878

i am genuinely curious why the name of Carlos Quieroz has not come up more often with regards to the vacant (perhaps mythical) DoF role. I am struggling to think of a better fit for the job.

- Is a cultural fit at the club, having coached here through our most successful era. He has friends and relationships in place already.
- He is a superb tactical coach who must be extremely adept at understanding how players fit into systems, making him an outstanding choice for identifying required talent profiles.
- He’s a strong character known to stand up to bad behaviour, including a bust up with Roy Keane that he won. Demonstrating strong principles and a disciplined culture.
- He’s been beloved by many players, including former stars like Ronaldo, who described him as like a father figure. Demonstrating the ability to provide leadership.
- He was arguably our best ever No.2, demonstrating an ability to work as part of a team and not be the sole decision maker.
- He fits the Manchester United DNA that Ole and the board seem so desperate to return to.
- He loves the club.

Tell me why I am wrong. He blows any of the other candidates I’ve heard about - mainly ex players - out of the water as far as I am concerned. I am sure it would get the seal of approval from Fergie too.

The talent acquisition strategy of our club is laughable. This appointment would make far too much sense to actually happen.
Great shout...makes too much sense!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think he's been out of the loop for too much time

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He was very good assistant manager, doesn't mean he should be good DoF too. If we are appointing one, then should go with proven ones.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
At first glance, Carlos Queiroz is someone who has been left in the previous decade, IMO — he was a good coach (not scout or technical director) once, but has managed Iran for 8 years before the latest Colombia appointment and is going to turn 67 soon...so his current performances might not match his historical accomplishments with United in the late 2000s. Will sound ageist but considering United need a fine-tuned and fresh long term vision...and someone who can see things through over a period of 5-6-7 years, we should look for someone who's much younger/hungrier and more in-tune with data analytics (for reference Galliani was also considered out-of-touch with contemporary football by the time he reached a similar age even though Milan won 5 European Cups with him as the Chief Executive).

Football evolves and moves on, and I doubt Queiroz can radically improve the club when you look at his track record in recent years. Someone like Overmars would be a much better appointment when you analyze his resumé: procures promising talent (De Jong, Ziyech, Neres, Lisandro, Onana, Tagliafico, Sánchez), associated with a positive ideology and only 46 years old...so he could drop deep roots at the club. Van der Sar as C.E.O. (give Woodward the boot) and Overmars for D.O.F. would be sooo good, though not very realistic under current ownership...and also, Overmars has business interests in Amsterdam so he might not want to move or maybe he wants to become their version of Zorc and is dedicated to the cause, dunno.

Another organisation we should be scouting for backroom/administrative talent is Red Bull: they are among the pioneers of data analytics, identify/develop a ton of talent and make progressive coaching moves — like appointing Rose/Marić before they moved to Mönchengladbach and now Nagelsmann from Hoffenheim.

liamp

At first glance, Carlos Queiroz is someone who has been left in the previous decade, IMO — he was a good coach (not scout or technical director) once, but has managed Iran for 8 years before the latest Colombia appointment and is going to turn 67 soon...so his current performances might not match his historical accomplishments with United in the late 2000s. Will sound ageist but considering United need a fine-tuned and fresh long term vision...and someone who can see things through over a period of 5-6-7 years, we should look for someone who's much younger/hungrier and more in-tune with data analytics (for reference Galliani was also considered out-of-touch with contemporary football by the time he reached a similar age even though Milan won 5 European Cups with him as the Chief Executive).

Football evolves and moves on, and I doubt Queiroz can radically improve the club when you look at his track record in recent years. Someone like Overmars would be a much better appointment when you analyze his resumé: procures promising talent (De Jong, Ziyech, Neres, Lisandro, Onana, Tagliafico, Sánchez), associated with a positive ideology and only 46 years old...so he could drop deep roots at the club. Van der Sar as C.E.O. (give Woodward the boot) and Overmars for D.O.F. would be sooo good, though not very realistic under current ownership...and also, Overmars has business interests in Amsterdam so he might not want to move or maybe he wants to become their version of Zorc and is dedicated to the cause, dunno.

Another organisation we should be scouting for backroom/administrative talent is Red Bull: they are among the pioneers of data analytics, identify/develop a ton of talent and make progressive coaching moves — like appointing Rose/Marić before they moved to Mönchengladbach and now Nagelsmann from Hoffenheim.
This is a thread for sentimentality, not practicality.

SirAF

Ageist
At one point Queiroz would have been nailed on to replace Ferguson but for reasons that @Invictus touch upon I’m not sure CQ would be a candidate for DoF today.

Fantastic coach in his day though.

Classical Mechanic

I think he's actually anti our DNA personally. I mentioned in the Keane thread that when he had a lot of influence over the team we played probably the worse football of Fergie's career at United. He's employs the same compact cagey tactics as most Portuguese managers which are not compatible with what the fans want .The restless chants of 'attack attack attack' were not uncommon in that era.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Isn’t his biggest strength lays in his ability to organize a team to defend really well?

How would that make him qualified for the DOF role of Manchester United?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Probably he still wants to be a manager rather than a DOF?
Afterall he was manager of Iran for 8 years and as soon as that contract expired he signed a 3 year deal (in feb 2019) to be columbia manager

Scotty McT

The signing of Bebe obviously immediately rules him out.

Watching him run out for us was one of those early moments (after replacing Tevez and Ronaldo with Owen and Valencia) where I realised that we're not taking this building a football team lark awfully seriously.

Given how completely catastrophic 2009- onwards has been for us in terms of our squad getting consistently worse, I'd really rather just get some fresh ideas rather than trying to bring back the guy who told us to get Bebe.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
maybe its because Ed has no intention of appointing one
So where did this entire conversation begin? Because it came from Woodward in the first place from my recollection.

Skills

Snitch
Ron Atkinson is still alive somewhere. He brought Robson to the club. Deserves a shot

Zlatattack

- He loves the club.

Two very well put arguements. The Caf at it's best.

hobbers

Much like with the manager position, I think Ed is only looking at candidates he feels would be easy to control.

Which has limited the field to mostly ex-players with no experience in the role. Fletcher, Evra, Rio etc etc.

Based Adnan

The kind of DoF we're looking for is only similar to an actual DoF in name. This is why we will most likely end up with someone with no actual experience in the role.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Probably he still wants to be a manager rather than a DOF?
Afterall he was manager of Iran for 8 years and as soon as that contract expired he signed a 3 year deal (in feb 2019) to be columbia manager
This. There's no indication he'd take the DOF job anytime soon.

NoLogo

Much like with the manager position, I think Ed is only looking at candidates he feels would be easy to control.

Which has limited the field to mostly ex-players with no experience in the role. Fletcher, Evra, Rio etc etc.
And that's why he chose Mourinho? I don't think there is any manager harder to control anywhere.

Falcow

The reason it sounds ageist is because it is.

hobbers

And that's why he chose Mourinho? I don't think there is any manager harder to control anywhere.
No, obviously his experience with Mourinho is exactly what led to him a) hire Ole for all the wrong reasons and b) stall on hiring a DOF/only look at unqualified candidates.

Ed had his fingers burnt and now he only wants yes men and puppets.

Foxbatt

Carlos as a Manager would have been better than Ole. As a DOF no.
We need someone who had either played and had technical ability or coached and loves attractive football. If I go for an ex player I will go for Berbatov.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, obviously his experience with Mourinho is exactly what led to him a) hire Ole for all the wrong reasons and b) stall on hiring a DOF/only look at unqualified candidates.

Ed had his fingers burnt and now he only wants yes men and puppets.
Ole was hired due to incredible results during the first months of his interim job, nothing else. Your theory is based on nothing other than your feelings, no one in here knows if yes men and puppets are within the club or at which level. What we do know is that the two managers that Woodward definitely targeted, LVG and Mourinho, are the opposite of yes men and puppets.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Regarding Queiroz, we don't know:

- If he actually has a network, he has been completely out of club football for a long time.
- If he is able to organize a football club
- If he can build a team.
- If he is good at negotiating with players, clubs and agents.
- If he is actually interested in that type of job.

OleGunnar20

- He loves the club.

Hadn't thought of it before but now that I do, sounds a great fit. Good idea.

Who wants to bet it'll be someone like Ferdinand.

edcunited1878

Current ownership and Woodward would not allow this vision. It's been extremely apparent that not everybody at United have been rowing the same direction for years, thus the rudderless direction they have been going.

The philosophy, strategy, approach and belief is in harmony from top to bottom, no questions asked at Ajax, Dortmund and Red Bull.

poleglass red

He was a good assistant but not so as a manager, I'd stick with the tried and tested at their actual job. An inexperience manager with a novice as DOF doesn't fill me with confidence.