Carlos Quieroz - DoF

MVBDX

Supports
Real Madrid
I think he would like to be more hands-on, probably wouldn't be interested in becoming a DoF, maybe in a couple of years time.

He's got the chops for it though.

AllezLesDiables

i am genuinely curious why the name of Carlos Quieroz has not come up more often with regards to the vacant (perhaps mythical) DoF role. I am struggling to think of a better fit for the job.

- Is a cultural fit at the club, having coached here through our most successful era. He has friends and relationships in place already.
- He has a vast network of agents, players, coaches and chairmen.
- He’s hugely experienced in world football.
- He speaks multiple languages fluently.
- He’s well respected across Europe and the world.
- He’s familiar with Ole, having coached him through the early to mid 2000s.
- He is a superb tactical coach who must be extremely adept at understanding how players fit into systems, making him an outstanding choice for identifying required talent profiles.
- He’s a strong character known to stand up to bad behaviour, including a bust up with Roy Keane that he won. Demonstrating strong principles and a disciplined culture.
- He’s been beloved by many players, including former stars like Ronaldo, who described him as like a father figure. Demonstrating the ability to provide leadership.
- He was arguably our best ever No.2, demonstrating an ability to work as part of a team and not be the sole decision maker.
- He fits the Manchester United DNA that Ole and the board seem so desperate to return to.
- He loves the club.

Tell me why I am wrong. He blows any of the other candidates I’ve heard about - mainly ex players - out of the water as far as I am concerned. I am sure it would get the seal of approval from Fergie too.

The talent acquisition strategy of our club is laughable. This appointment would make far too much sense to actually happen.
Those qualities while nice have little with one’s ability to do the job.

Being a superior DoF is a question of innate skill sets. Having played the game does give unique insight but as seen in many coaching and other jobs related to the sport it does not make them good football CEOs, which is what a DoF is supposed to be.

DoFs should be responsible for developing the vision for the club and planning for the execution. While this seems simple enough, there so many details that are addressed in both planning and executing.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Aww, some of you think we're actually going to appoint a DoF...

Aww, that's cute.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Can we just give a blank check to Dortmund’s or Ajax’s DoF?

Hell, I’ll even go over there and perform favors if need be.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
At first glance, Carlos Queiroz is someone who has been left in the previous decade, IMO — he was a good coach (not scout or technical director) once, but has managed Iran for 8 years before the latest Colombia appointment and is going to turn 67 soon...so his current performances might not match his historical accomplishments with United in the late 2000s. Will sound ageist but considering United need a fine-tuned and fresh long term vision...and someone who can see things through over a period of 5-6-7 years, we should look for someone who's much younger/hungrier and more in-tune with data analytics (for reference Galliani was also considered out-of-touch with contemporary football by the time he reached a similar age even though Milan won 5 European Cups with him as the Chief Executive).

Football evolves and moves on, and I doubt Queiroz can radically improve the club when you look at his track record in recent years. Someone like Overmars would be a much better appointment when you analyze his resumé: procures promising talent (De Jong, Ziyech, Neres, Lisandro, Onana, Tagliafico, Sánchez), associated with a positive ideology and only 46 years old...so he could drop deep roots at the club. Van der Sar as C.E.O. (give Woodward the boot) and Overmars for D.O.F. would be sooo good, though not very realistic under current ownership...and also, Overmars has business interests in Amsterdam so he might not want to move or maybe he wants to become their version of Zorc and is dedicated to the cause, dunno.

Another organisation we should be scouting for backroom/administrative talent is Red Bull: they are among the pioneers of data analytics, identify/develop a ton of talent and make progressive coaching moves — like appointing Rose/Marić before they moved to Mönchengladbach and now Nagelsmann from Hoffenheim.
I thought my OP made a really strong case. But this is a very good counter argument.

atticus finch

i am genuinely curious why the name of Carlos Quieroz has not come up more often with regards to the vacant (perhaps mythical) DoF role. I am struggling to think of a better fit for the job.

- Is a cultural fit at the club, having coached here through our most successful era. He has friends and relationships in place already.
- He has a vast network of agents, players, coaches and chairmen.
- He’s hugely experienced in world football.
- He speaks multiple languages fluently.
- He’s well respected across Europe and the world.
- He’s familiar with Ole, having coached him through the early to mid 2000s.
- He is a superb tactical coach who must be extremely adept at understanding how players fit into systems, making him an outstanding choice for identifying required talent profiles.
- He’s a strong character known to stand up to bad behaviour, including a bust up with Roy Keane that he won. Demonstrating strong principles and a disciplined culture.
- He’s been beloved by many players, including former stars like Ronaldo, who described him as like a father figure. Demonstrating the ability to provide leadership.
- He was arguably our best ever No.2, demonstrating an ability to work as part of a team and not be the sole decision maker.
- He fits the Manchester United DNA that Ole and the board seem so desperate to return to.
- He loves the club.

Tell me why I am wrong. He blows any of the other candidates I’ve heard about - mainly ex players - out of the water as far as I am concerned. I am sure it would get the seal of approval from Fergie too.

The talent acquisition strategy of our club is laughable. This appointment would make far too much sense to actually happen.
Very nice post, great read, thank you. CQ's style of football and his age would put me off but great effort.

atticus finch

At first glance, Carlos Queiroz is someone who has been left in the previous decade, IMO — he was a good coach (not scout or technical director) once, but has managed Iran for 8 years before the latest Colombia appointment and is going to turn 67 soon...so his current performances might not match his historical accomplishments with United in the late 2000s. Will sound ageist but considering United need a fine-tuned and fresh long term vision...and someone who can see things through over a period of 5-6-7 years, we should look for someone who's much younger/hungrier and more in-tune with data analytics (for reference Galliani was also considered out-of-touch with contemporary football by the time he reached a similar age even though Milan won 5 European Cups with him as the Chief Executive).

Football evolves and moves on, and I doubt Queiroz can radically improve the club when you look at his track record in recent years. Someone like Overmars would be a much better appointment when you analyze his resumé: procures promising talent (De Jong, Ziyech, Neres, Lisandro, Onana, Tagliafico, Sánchez), associated with a positive ideology and only 46 years old...so he could drop deep roots at the club. Van der Sar as C.E.O. (give Woodward the boot) and Overmars for D.O.F. would be sooo good, though not very realistic under current ownership...and also, Overmars has business interests in Amsterdam so he might not want to move or maybe he wants to become their version of Zorc and is dedicated to the cause, dunno.

Another organisation we should be scouting for backroom/administrative talent is Red Bull: they are among the pioneers of data analytics, identify/develop a ton of talent and make progressive coaching moves — like appointing Rose/Marić before they moved to Mönchengladbach and now Nagelsmann from Hoffenheim.
Another good read, thank you. The Overmars/VdS ticket sounds better than anything else I have read to date.