Carrick confirms he will retire at the end of the season

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes

:drool:

Can someone make an "All Carrick passes" compilation? :drool: :lol:

el3mel

One of the most underrated midfielders in his era. Good luck for him in our coaching stuff then becoming a manager himself.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Just below Busquets as the best DM of the last decade.

el3mel

Just like Rooney, he had won every possible trophy with us bar UEFA Super Cup.

I consider him one of our legends personally, definitely not in our top 10 most important legends but he's close.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
You are going to be hard to replace Michael. A truly great player and a nice guy. Good luck in your coaching job and it will great knowing you will still be around the place.

Zoo

Would love to see him become manager one day.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
'Hard to believe its not Scholes...'

In the early years I was never fully bought into Carrick. For me he had an unusual tendency to make mistakes when pressed and concede possession in front of our defence. I thought Hargraves would be the end of him. I though Fletch would be the end of him.

That game at QPR when the fans really leaned into that song though, that was the moment when I really came around. 2012/13 Carrick was immaculate. He's been a brilliant servant of this club. Long may it continue from the dugout.

Red Stone

Possibly the most underrated midfielder ever to play in the Premier League. World class at his best, and by all accounts a great bloke too. Never brought any hassle or controversies with him.

Hard to pick a favourite moment, but those two goals against Roma in that game are definitely up there.

Djemba-Djemba

What a Utd career he's had. Maybe the last of those Utd players with the absurdly huge medal collections.

Hope he stays on next season as a coach.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
5 premier leagues,1 FA Cup, 3 league cups, 1 CL, 1 Europa league, 1 club world cup. He is the most successful English midfielder after Paul Scholes.

Absolute legend.

stu_1992

A player I was highly skeptical of when he was signed, probably because I was young and dumb and he was taking the number of my hero and effectively his replacement. Can honestly say I was made to look stupid on that one, because what a great player he turned out to be. Grew into the team over time and eventually became absolutely key for us. Great range of passing and just a very calming influence on the team, all while dictating the tempo. Had a good defensive contributions as well, by always seemingly in the right place and I always felt his inceptions were a key part of his game.

Favorite memory of him was probably the 2 goals in the 7-1 Roma game. Not exactly known for his goal-scoring, but 2 great strikes in that game. The title win in 2013 will always stand out as well, particularly the title celebration after the open-top bus on the stage in the city center with the crowd singing "It's Carrick you know...".

Martin(6)Buchan

Greatly under rated, great servant and every success in your new adventure at the end of the season.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Crazy to think if he’d have joined Liverpool that Summer all he would have won in 12 years would have been a solitary League Cup.

Bobski

Great player, the fans did not take to him early because of still being in that phase when they wanted a new Roy Keane but he has been an exceptional player for Utd. Matic is getting a lot of credit this season, but peak Carrick was levels above him. Superb at finding a pass into the forwards feet from deep, great awareness of options and just a composed presence who allowed the others to go and play.

Totally misused by England.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Really glad he’s joining the coaching team - has so much knowledge to impart. Hope we can add to his trophy cabinet before he departs.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brilliant player for United, having a Carrick that's ten years younger to play alongside Matic today would make us a near complete side. Didn't we already know he was retiring and becoming a coach before today though?

waza7111

What a signing. SAF made 3 brilliant signings in 2006- Vidic, Evra and Carrick.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
He was signed for 16m back in 06 and many thought it was too much. Looking back I think it’s safe to say he was incredible value for money. One of Fergies greatest acquisitions, one of my favourites.

Mike Smalling

Great servant to the club and very underrated player. Was especially fantastic from 2006-2010. I will definitely count him among our legends given the success during his stay.

Crazy to think he has only made 34 appearances for England. I think his style of play would have really suited a partnership with Gerrard or Lampard.

Big Andy

Bloke
He was signed for 16m back in 06 and many thought it was too much. Looking back I think it’s safe to say he was incredible value for money. One of Fergies greatest acquisitions, one of my favourites.
£18.6m I think...

I remember the uproar on here at the time...

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
What a signing. SAF made 3 brilliant signings in 2006- Vidic, Evra and Carrick.
Imagine if we could sign them again in their prime?
Something like:
Lukaku
Rashford------Lingard-----Sanchez
---------Carrick-----Matic
Evra-----Bailly-------Vida--Valencia
---------------De Gea
Backed up by Pogba, Mata, Herrera, Smalling, Ibra etc
We'd win trophies like it was the 90's again.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Crazy that England never utilised him correctly either, could have given some real balance to the Gerrard/Lampard midfield.

A class act on and off the pitch.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
£18.6m I think...

I remember the uproar on here at the time...
Yeah. Here's the transfer thread.

worth no more than £6 million! hes clearly an average player and we could do better than that. I'd rather keep Fletcher in the team rather than waste all this money on the overpriced overrated Carrick. :nono:
10m too much. We get shafted on both transfers in one day.
Can't get excited about this signing.If the price is true it smacks of desperation.
I think it became a sore point because we sold Ruud around the same time for less.

Great career. Shame for him he didn't play more for England. Good way to cap off his time with us would be to win the CL again with him being the only member of the CL 08 squad left.

Bobski

Crazy that England never utilised him correctly either, could have given some real balance to the Gerrard/Lampard midfield.

A class act on and off the pitch.
Just not glam enough. One of England's biggest problem is the absurd influence of the media, specifically writers in the narrative of who has to play. They wanted Gerrard/Lampard, dropping one of them for balance would have created a scandal and none of the managers were big enough to cope with the fall out.

Carrick sitting with Scholes and Lampard ahead, Gerrard on the right, Cole on the left, striker, and would still have had the likes of Hargreaves, veterans like Butt and Beckham around.

Barry and Parker playing for England in midfield when Carrick was in his prime is just disgusting.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
At the time, I often didn't realise just how easy he made it look and how effective he was. He was often a player I noticed more if he wasn't playing. You really notice what he brings when there's no one else capable of doing something that he made look so simple. If you re-watch the 12/13 Season Review, he just seems to be involved in everything, how he just steps up to the edge if the final third and drives the ball along the ground to someone running in to the channel.

Should have been a key player for England, but England only wanted all-action blood-and-thunder midfielders who couldn't truly operate as midfielders anyway. He wasn't pinging them from 30 yards regularly nor was he a brutish stopper, so he was invisible to England. Oh well. Their loss was our gain.

Hansa

Just not glam enough. One of England's biggest problem is the absurd influence of the media, specifically writers in the narrative of who has to play. They wanted Gerrard/Lampard, dropping one of them for balance would have created a scandal and none of the managers were big enough to cope with the fall out.

Carrick sitting with Scholes and Lampard ahead, Gerrard on the right, Cole on the left, striker, and would still have had the likes of Hargreaves, veterans like Butt and Beckham around.

Barry and Parker playing for England in midfield when Carrick was in his prime is just disgusting.
It's really mind-numbing when you think about it. The midfield maestro of England's best team (and one of Europe's top 3-4 clubs). Would probably have featured regularly for Spain, Germany or Italy. As others have mentioned, not enough powerful runs and hopeful 35-yard efforts to be regarded as a true Lion.

We'll really struggle to replace this one.

Bobski

It's really mind-numbing when you think about it. The midfield maestro of England's best team (and one of Europe's top 3-4 clubs). Would probably have featured regularly for Spain, Germany or Italy. As others have mentioned, not enough powerful runs and hopeful 35-yard efforts to be regarded as a true Lion.

We'll really struggle to replace this one.
I partly blame Beckham for many of the problems with that era of England. I think he was a vastly overrated international(not club) player who needed a strong manager to curb his eagerness to hit every pass 60 yards looking for a killer ball. Terrible influence on the likes of Gerrard who had to spend his initial years in a England set up infatuated with the **** of Beckham, ended up replicating many of the problems in Beckham's game. Scholes having to chase knockdowns from Heskey off Beckham glory balls is one of my main memories of that time. Forget about patient build up and allowing an actual playmaker to do his job, just a runner from midfield.

kundalini

Yeah. Here's the transfer thread.
Note to self. Never make a comment in a transfer thread for fear of looking like a complete idiot.

I know about 50% of transfers are successful over the medium to longer term. Trying to predict which 50% is near impossible.

Having said that, Carrick was bought at a decent age so there was a chance he could be here for a long time. His injury record wasn't high risk (unlike Hargreaves).

Not sure if I did actually post in the thread but I was probably against the transfer and certainly considered him relatively ordinary in his first season, if not longer than that.

I like Carrick's calmness on the pitch; an important quality if you want to compete for titles. For a while I thought he was too soft when required to defend in our box.

Last edited:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Good. He's barely of use to us as a player, at this point, so glad the he's looking to focus on his coaching and not play for a bit at a different level.

Always think of that Roma game when thinking about his time with us.