Carrick confirms he will retire at the end of the season

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Great servant for the club, very reliable player in his heyday. Look forward to seeing him in a coaching role.

slir32

Fantastic player and such a likable person. It has been a joy to watch him play for us.

El Pasillo

Not really. I love Carrick, but would definitely rate Busquets and Alonso over him. Both of them have an edge offensively, but Carrick was a tad better in the defensive side of the game. Plus both Sergio and Xavi had the advantage of having operated in far more set midfields than Carrick who always had to operate in a mix-n-match.
And this couldn't be said the same about Busquets?

The guy still looked excellent alongside with the likes of Paulinho, Gomes, Rakitic or even Iniesta (who's way past his prime btw) or various of formations.

stevoc

Sad but inevitable, the only player left from Fergusons last great side 2006-09.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Got a lot of time for Carrick. Think it's likely I shed a tear or two on his last game. Really hope we send him off the way he deserves - with a trophy.

Revaulx

Crazy to think if he’d have joined Liverpool that Summer all he would have won in 12 years would have been a solitary League Cup.
You may well be right. Though if he’d played as well for Rogers’ Liverpool in 13-14 as he’d done for United the previous season they would have probably won the league :annoyed:

Denis79

Great servant, great player. Think it's the right choice to finish his career here.

klayton88

Always remmber his over the top reverse pass for Hernandez (I think) who looped it over Cech (think again) against Chelsea.

EDIT:

Luke1995

Do you guys see any scenario where he plays in the Champions League this season ? (If we don't get knocked out tomorrow)

If say, we get to the final, I wouldn't want to see a scenario like with Rooney in the last europa league one when Mourinho put him on with about 30 seconds remaining just so he could lift the trophy having ''played''. Better to trust experienced players in these moments.

fergies coat

Brilliant player. To think the likes of Scott Parker got ahead of him for England is a travesty. If he was Spanish he would be praised by the English media and pundits. Easily a United legend for me.

Kostov

Michael Carrick, a Manchester United legend. Sad to see him go, great servant to this club and for one I can't wait to see what he brings to the coaching team.

Lam

Made a significant contribution to our success in the last 10 years. I understood how good and important he is to us only after seeing him play live.

Great player and professional.

BenjaminP

United legend. Played big part in our one of the most successful era.

davidmichael

I’d love Carrick to be 10 years younger so he could do it all over again, imagine a 26 year old Carrick alongside Matic and Pogba in a midfield three

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Such a classy player. A shame he played for United.

Web of Bissaka

Damn it, I still want to see him in the squad and play even at least a squad player. But, I guess the few final games he should get should suffice.. and like Scholes, need to prepare myself mentally to move on.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Rolls Royce, Smooth and steady. Great on and off the pitch, glad he will be a member of the staff as he is a model professional.

Bwuk

Actually think Carrick might go on to be a good manager, more so than any of the Class of 92.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Loved him, it's a picture of England's failure at international level that Gerrard and Lampard were persisted with and Carrick was ignored. A fantastic midfielder at his peak who would've been appreciated in any other major European team.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Deserves more credit than he sometimes gets. been a great signing. he was so cool in the CL shootout in 2008. have loved watching a maestro at work

Solo Toure

Model professional. Cool, calm and collected. A true footballer.

Great news that he will take up a coaching position and keep on passing his extensive experience to the future generation.

Jericho

Completely wasted by England...just like Scholes.

I think he became a little more adventurous with his passing in his later years. I do recall a lot of sideways passing from him back in the day, but that might have been partly due to the fact that he was playing alongside the likes of Giggs and Scholes.

Davistiano

#16 has produced another legend for us, thank you Carrick for everything you have done for the club!

Absolutely one of the most underrated player! Somehow reminds me of FIFA The Journey that if you choose "cool" personality, you get less fans support but more manager's faith - I think Carrick is exactly that! A great bloke with no negative news on him, 100% focus on his career and this sport, a model player!

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Great servant to the club
I don't like when people overuse the word "legend" and I think that "a great servant to the club" sums up his career best.

We'll remember Carrick as a very good midfielder (mainly) in the Ferguson era. Someone who was underrated by England managers. We can only think what would have happened with your national team had your managers decide to play him instead of Gerrards and Lampards which never worked.

He's always been highly rated by his teammates, which - in football - is something you should really pay attention to. Those guys know what others are capable of. Carrick was an elegant midfielder, just like (for example) Rio Ferdinand was an elegant defender.

Thanks, Michael.