Casemiro & McTominay

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Well never dominate a midfield with McT in it. It’s understandable why he’s being chosen now. Solidity to get some points on the board and build confidence until we improve to the point where we’re able to control possession better.

OrcaFat

I don't see why not. He's covered more ground per 90 than anyone else at United this season.
Yeah. I mean, I didn’t know that but it’s useful info. Just quite a few people have posted “he hasn’t got the stamina”. Possibly he is running harder and further than other players for 60 mins and runs out of steam.

Lecland07

I'm pretty certain it will be Casemiro and Eriksen if we stick with the same system. I believe Ten Hag wants someone who can pass in that second role, and Eriksen is much better than McTominay at passing. I can't see past that midfield.

Eriksen being subbed off is not an indicator that he will be dropped for McTominay. We were under pressure from Leicester and needed more defensive presence, but we haven't started any games like that.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
For real nightmare fuel, please consider Magcaseminay in a midfield 3. Maybe Ten Hag fancies Harry in a DM role after all...

Borys

Statistics Wizard
McTominay has been alright recently, so he probably doesn't deserve to be dropped. But in the long run, I'm pretty sure it will be Casemiro +Eriksen/Fred and McTominay will be replacing Casemiro in some games.

Fred is the better player if we want to play good football, although McTominay is useful as well but in different way.

I'd be fine if Casemiro and McTominay started against Arsenal (especially that Eriksen will most likely not be ready), but this seems like a defensive overkill for most games and still a midfield that will struggle to control central areas.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
McTominay is being rewarded for good form but will in time drop out. My guess is Eriksen, Bruno and Casemiro will be the main 3. 2 of Antony and Sancho/Rashford on the wings. Martial the main striker with Ronaldo rotating for him. Fred and mctominay rotating in the midfield.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I think the eight other players City have on the pitch also helped.

You can't get away with a lightweight midfield if the rest of your team is poor in possession. Especially the front three.
Thing is I just don't buy this "light weight" nonsense. Its overblown. As long as you have a proper 6 on pitch. You won't be physically bullying smaller size footballing midfielders because you would rarely get near them. As long as the tactics are right and your team presses efficiently and moves the ball quickly. You can play giants yet ran rings around them. Look for example how 2 dwarfs in Kante and Jorginho function together. They next to never get bullied, yet physically Ericksen is more robust than Jorginho.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Remind me, who came of for Casemiro? McTominay?

Also, we need height and playing Fred means we are worse off and his passing is just as erratic as McTominay.

We have better in Eriksen, Donny in the 8.
Donny can't even get game time with ETH, how can you say he's a better option when he provides literally NOTHING?

Trequarista10

Dunno why people are referring to Eriksen being subbed off. He's played virtually every minute so far.

90'
87'
86'
90'
90'

What has happened is we've subbed off forward players for another CM and pushed Eriksen forwards towards the end of matches (except the first game vs Brighton where the opposite happened).

This suggests to me ETH doesn't fully trust Eriksen defensively especially when we're protecting a lead, but values his on the ball quality enough to keep him on the pitch. Sancho and Elanga have been the ones subbed off first. This may change with the addition of Antony, and if Martial and Co can remain fit.

RetroStu

No one mentions Fred partnering Casemiro, understandably so if you look at it from a Utd angle, but Fred and Cssemiro have done well together for Brazil. In fact, and i could be wrong here, but i believe they have only lost 1 match when Fred and Casemiro have played together.

For me, i'd rather play Fred over McTom.

Mr Smith

As others have said, it depends who we play. But it does appear that Ten Hag seems to prefer McTominay to Fred, so I think seeing the former partner Casimero against Arsenal on Sunday is quite likely.

Gasolin

No one mentions Fred partnering Casemiro, understandably so if you look at it from a Utd angle, but Fred and Cssemiro have done well together for Brazil. In fact, and i could be wrong here, but i believe they have only lost 1 match when Fred and Casemiro have played together.

For me, i'd rather play Fred over McTom.
Different roles, Scott brings something with his energy and intensity. Fred is more useful when counter pressing high. And when Scott can pass the ball through quick, it brings a chance like against Liverpool and Elanga for the post.

Fred, sure, there are games where he would be useful but we have to find the right game.