Casemiro | United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Still funny how we got him as an alternative to fecking rabiot off all people.

Can't wait to see him in an United shirt.

Dion

Honestly if the only thing you can think to say to valid criticism of something is 'well don't watch then' you shouldn't be involving yourself in the discourse because you have absolutely nothing to add.

RedMilo

Yes we need a CM. Currently the closest we have to a CM is Garner, who is also capable of playing DM. Iqbal is good with holding up play, but he is not very good with his defensive duties and decision making at times. I actually think Savage would be a good option. The formation has to change, otherwise we will need to go with makeshift CMs such as Fred and DVB while Casemiro plays DM.
I agree with some of that. I think of we don't get a de Jong type in then based on the players he has got i think he has to play 4-3-3 as opposed to 4-2-3-1 which clearly he wants to play.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I agree with some of that. I think of we don't get a de Jong type in then based on the players he has got i think he has to play 4-3-3 as opposed to 4-2-3-1 which clearly he wants to play.
Id much rather a 4-3-3, especially now we have a DM. Will give us more balance and allow the other cms to focus on what there best at. Fred can play a bit further up the pitch now where he looked quality under ralf, his high energy and high pressing could help us create chances.

Laurencio

Still funny how we got him as an alternative to fecking rabiot off all people.

Can't wait to see him in an United shirt.
It's like we suffered from an inferiority complex for a few weeks. Baffling. Must be a money issue that got resolved or something. From arnautovic and Rabiot to Casemiro.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Jesus Christ ! he's South American too. This is going to be a disaster !!
Disaster!!!!!!!!!

RedMilo

Neither Kroos or Modric are all that hardworking?
Unless I'm missing some sarcasm, sorry that's not true. They both clearly are.

EtH wants to play 4-2-3-1 and for it to work in the EPL we need a hardworking press resistant ball carrying midfielder next to him and FDJ is that player.

Thiagoal

Music to the ears. Hope he has a transformative influence on the team in this regard
This is exactly why this signing is so much more important than just what he brings out on the pitch.

He is a renowned winner and expects very high standards on and off the pitch. It’s crucial for ETH that he has these sorts of characters to influence the others that are happy to let standards slip. Ironically, Ole was trying to achieve the same but went about it in the wrong way by buying ‘solid British lads’ for overinflated prices who ended up showing weak mentalities!

In addition, other top players around the world are far more likely to see Man Utd as a serious team with a project worth joining.

Laurencio

Jesus Christ ! he's South American too. This is going to be a disaster !!
Disaster!!!!!!!!!
He won't feel loved! That always happens. Then he'll sulk and cry to his agent...

He's also far too old. Not sure if they will allow him to bring his walker on the pitch, plus we have to account for the pee-breaks he will need every 10 minutes. Are dementia medication on the list of prohibited substances? Really feel like we should have checked that out before splurging on a geriatric. Bad planning.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
And we are at min, 2 years from being able to challenge for a title. By the time the rest of the squad is ready, he'll be on the downturn. So it makes 0 sense to spend 70 million for a player and in 2-3 years be in a situation where you have to replace him
I don't get that logic at all.

Even if we add both Casemiro and Antony this summer, we're more likely than not to finish outside the top four. It's a long road back to the top from here.

So if we were actually back challenging for a title in 2 (or even 3, 4 or 5) years, that's great. Things will be going really well.

And if Casemiro helps get us to that position before then having to be replaced, it's an excellent signing. He doesn't only provide value if he's central to an imagined title challenge that is a long, long way away. Getting us back challenging is a goal in itself. We can worry about the actual challenge when the time comes.

AndySmith1990

I know it's greedy but I'd love for us to sign another CM, someone like Savic. The midfield transformation would be insane

Bigfoot2

The very worrying question regarding why any player at the top of their game would desert the current European champions for Old Trafford is still uppermost in my mind. I have a very worrying doubt which I hope is false.

cyberman

Unless I'm missing some sarcasm, sorry that's not true. They both clearly are.

EtH wants to play 4-2-3-1 and for it to work in the EPL we need a hardworking press resistant ball carrying midfielder next to him and FDJ is that player.
They’re not, not overly so anyway. Unless you think old man Modric is a pressing machine at 36? Madrid play more of a low block, not 3 pressuring midfielders who get about the pitch.
What makes Casemiro so good is freeing up Kroos and Modric. Plus we have Eriksen now who can play beside him

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The very worrying question regarding why any player at the top of their game would desert the current European champions for Old Trafford is still uppermost in my mind. I have a very worrying doubt which I hope is false.
Money, obviously. Same reason most professional footballers move anywhere. It's a career, not a hobby.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
It's like we suffered from an inferiority complex for a few weeks. Baffling. Must be a money issue that got resolved or something. From arnautovic and Rabiot to Casemiro.
Either they were messing with us or they just panicked but I'm not complaining.

Only at United.

croadyman

This is exactly why this signing is so much more important than just what he brings out on the pitch.

He is a renowned winner and expects very high standards on and off the pitch. It’s crucial for ETH that he has these sorts of characters to influence the others that are happy to let standards slip. Ironically, Ole was trying to achieve the same but went about it in the wrong way by buying ‘solid British lads’ for overinflated prices who ended up showing weak mentalities!

In addition, other top players around the world are far more likely to see Man Utd as a serious team with a project worth joining.
Yeah signing who can hopefully persuade others that this project is worth buying into

RedMilo

They’re not, not overly so anyway. Unless you think old man Modric is a pressing machine at 36? Madrid play more of a low block, not 3 pressuring midfielders who get about the pitch.
What makes Casemiro so good is freeing up Kroos and Modric. Plus we have Eriksen now who can play beside him
Right okay I see what you mean, when I say hardworking I dont automatically mean pressing machine.

You're right in a 4-3-3 system he would do that for you. In a 4-2-3-1 he would need that type of player next to him. I don't think Eriksen is that player.

Hopefully we sign the right type of CM to go next to him if EtH persists with 4-2-3-1 as it will be needed.

croadyman

Honestly if the only thing you can think to say to valid criticism of something is 'well don't watch then' you shouldn't be involving yourself in the discourse because you have absolutely nothing to add.
Just frustrates me that people seem happier to pick faults in this transfer rather than give it a chance first

Dion

What they do is cover Casemiro's job of picking the ball up from deep and bringing it forward, which is the part of the midfield we are absolutely awful at.

I honestly can't think of a club Casemiro could have joined which will expose his weakness more than us. Especially coming from one that hides it as well as Madrid's.

Even someone like Savic wouldn't help, you need a press resistant midfielder capable of taking the ball off the defence and building play from the back. We still don't have that.

Hammondo

Some of the RAWK responses are really funny.

So, at 31 Henderson signed a new four year contract
At 30 Salah signed a three year deal

Why did they sign them on new contracts and not go out and get a 22/23 year old top prospect who will be with them for years???

Not seen that on CAF.

Perhaps the label is incorrectly attributed.

The bitterness is strong

We're using Radar now?

Irony: didnt they renew James Milner (36), VVD (30)
There is a massive difference between keeping a player you already have and has learnt the football your team plays, and buying someone for 70m.

RedMilo

What they do is cover Casemiro's job of picking the ball up from deep and bringing it forward, which is the part of the midfield we are absolutely awful at.

I honestly can't think of a club Casemiro could have joined which will expose his weakness more than us. Especially coming from one that hides it as well as Madrid's.

Even someone like Savic wouldn't help, you need a press resistant midfielder capable of taking the ball off the defence and building play from the back. We still don't have that.
Correct. He needs to change the system if he doesn't bring in a FDJ type.

croadyman

Yes I will admit we still need that too and would prefer to spend big on getting De Jong too rather than breaking bank for Antony

giggs-beckham

Clueless
It's not even funny though. Where's the exaggeration? I said 80m euro. That's how much he cost. And admittedly made a mistake about his age by 5 months. So fecking what. Enough with the silly exaggerations.
It's 70m euros for 4 years for a 30 year old
(£60m)

Rolaholic

Some right miserable gits on here :lol:

Even with the price, finding it very hard to be upset over addressing our years long hole at the base of our midfield by signing one of the best DM's ever still in his prime...

Dion

Just frustrates me that people seem happier to pick faults in this transfer rather than give it a chance first
Then to use your own logic, why read a discussion thread about a transfer if other people expressing their opinion reduces your enjoyment?

And like I said in the other post, we have lots of data on Casemiro, what happens to aggressive ball winners as they age (note Kante, not Fernandinho), what happens when you play non-press resistant players in a position where they're going to be pressed closer to our goal, what happens when you put 30 year old world class players into entirely new systems in new league and what happens when you have massively high earners on long contracts long after the level they played at to earn that wage has fallen off.

There's a lot to be seriously concerned about with this transfer and I'm afraid if you don't want to hear it then you can't ask everyone else to bury their heads in the sand. That's not how forums work.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Music to the ears. Hope he has a transformative influence on the team in this regard
I’m definitely getting excited now. I still think there’s a big risk we’ll break him and he’ll submit to just a final payday, but we’ll have to work hard to break that kind of intrinsic motivation. Unlike someone like Varane who was obviously someone who would just go with the flow. If Ten Hag can earn the team’s trust then potentially Casemiro can be the kind of player to make people like Varane give a shit, and reassure future signings we have a serious culture here. Still a big if for Ten Hag but it is reassuring that our signings so far have warrior-like mentalities. He obviously sees a big part of what’s missing in the culture.

GreatDane

If you can't find joy in signing the perhaps best DM in the world presently then what will? Guess some people find joy in being miserable.

cyberman

Been hard working every time I've seen them. Against Liverpool they were compact as feck doing their defensive duties.
They were compact in a block yes but I wouldn’t say there were overly hardworking? Not saying they’re lazy or anything

OrcaFat

I don't get that logic at all.

Even if we add both Casemiro and Antony this summer, we're more likely than not to finish outside the top four. It's a long road back to the top from here.

So if we were actually back challenging for a title in 2 (or even 3, 4 or 5) years, that's great. Things will be going really well.

And if Casemiro helps get us to that position before then having to be replaced, it's an excellent signing. He doesn't only provide value if he's central to an imagined title challenge that is a long, long way away. Getting us back challenging is a goal in itself. We can worry about the actual challenge when the time comes.
Sensible. He’s bloody brilliant and if he helps us win a few matches that’ll do for me at this point.

Member 101269

There is a massive difference between keeping a player you already have and has learnt the football your team plays, and buying someone for 70m. corrected 60m
Utimately, it was about signing someone of the age when Liverpool are doing that.

If you want to make it about Money, you've not spread any sunk costs or renewal bonus or viewed it as costs per game or any other measure of analysing value.

Real Name

It's not even funny though. Where's the exaggeration? I said 80m euro. That's how much he cost. And admittedly made a mistake about his age by 5 months. So fecking what. Enough with the silly exaggerations.
Says someone who added to Casemiro age so he can make his point. Oh the irony.

Stadjer

Footballfans refuse to change their idea. When an idea about football or a player is set they wont change it.

30 was old 10/15 years ago but these days players can easily play at a high level until 35 if they dont suffer a major injury and took care of their body during their career. However because sport science wasnt developed as much and players were a lot less professional in the past (even more in England with the drinking culture) a player is considered old at 30. That is a 'fact' because it was that way 10+ years ago and it will stay that way until the ancient fossil pundits and people who have been listening/indoctrinated to them for years wont be able to spout their factual wrong opinion anymore.

For a player like Wayne Rooney who played a very high intensity football from the age of 16 and also didnt live like a professional at all it makes sense that they wont be able to play until their mid/late 30's but he is a bad example of how long footballers can keep playing. It is even more strange that Manchester United fans consider 30 too old when they watched Giggs, Scholes and even Carrick play until a ripe footballing age and do just fine.

There is no reason Casemiro cant play at the higest level for 5 more seasons. When he does and will do so with succes the price is worth it.

Same with Martinez being too short to play as a centre back. Nothing in his first few games suggested that being short is his problem but because 20 years ago Premier League teams crossed the ball at a targetman a centreback needs to be tall to deal with that. Football fans and pundits refuse to change their idea about football or a player unless they really really have to do so.

cyberman

But that’s just a style. Casemiro isn’t the best DM in the world because Modric and Kroos bring the ball out, he’s the best DM in the world that had Modric and Kroos in front of him.
Will we be as good as Madrid with those 3? Not a chance. Will we try and become a poor imitation of them? No.
We mightn’t progress the ball forward as well as Madrid but he allows us to to stake a claim through the middle. He offers protection to Varane and Martinez who can then step out with the ball that they were so good at doing before joining us. It allows Eriksen to play a bit further forward and become the link from that back 5 to the attack. I didnt see many top teams successfully press Casemiro into mistakes like they do to us and it’s not as if they stood back and allowed him to get the ball away to Kroos or Modric before instigating the press.
He really is exactly what we need.

tombombadil

Just some thoughts on this.

1) Is he a player who will improve the squad? Yes
2) Am I happy about that? Yes
3) Is he a little too old, expensive and short term? Yes
4) Would that age and expensive price be a problem? Only time will tell. E.g. If he helps us get CL for the next 2 - 3 years, etc.

Skills

Snitch
I’m definitely getting excited now. I still think there’s a big risk we’ll break him and he’ll submit to just a final payday, but we’ll have to work hard to break that kind of intrinsic motivation. Unlike someone like Varane who was obviously someone who would just go with the flow. If Ten Hag can earn the team’s trust then potentially Casemiro can be the kind of player to make people like Varane give a shit, and reassure future signings we have a serious culture here. Still a big if for Ten Hag but it is reassuring that our signings so far have warrior-like mentalities. He obviously sees a big part of what’s missing in the culture.
You don't think Varane gives a shit?

To me he always come across as a total professional. A quieter personality who's internally motivated to do his job, rather than externally.

Status
Not open for further replies.