Casemiro | United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Again, perhaps I'm wrong there so! I'd see Casemiro as a trigger for opposition when we have ball. Didn't fit with my understanding of his system, but my knowledge isn't huge there, didn't watch loads of ajax
if he was targetable on the ball he wouldn’t have won 4 CL titles with madrid. He might not pick it up and sprint through the middle of teams, but his passing is perfectly fine.
l

Rolaholic

Giggsy13

It’s a lot of money but we’ve addressed a need with a genuine world class talent and arguably one of the best in his position. Suddenly the spine of our team is not looking so bad provided that ten Hag comes to his senses and plays Varane instead of Maguire.

dirkey

if he was targetable on the ball he wouldn’t have won 4 CL titles with madrid. He might not pick it up and sprint through the middle of teams, but his passing is perfectly fine.
l
He played in a very compact side. Teams used try and go after him, they clearly did. He had fabulous players to offload the ball to. Very different style of play.

bosskeano

Meh, should have gone for Rice
100m for Rice would be asinine....60m for Casemiro is probably high but even with that, you could still bring in another player with the 40m and we need more than one guy to help this squad.

Rice is a decent player but fuk me that price is stupid and he only isn't going to make this team better so get two quality guys for that price

3vra

If we managed to sign Lewandowski in this window, would the logic still be the same? Too old, last paycheck, short-sighted signing blah blah blah?
Get a grip people, there is way too much negativity in this forum.
The funny thing is when Casemiro's contract will end he will be at the age Lewandowski is right now. I really do not get it why some people would complain about his age ?

I would pay 200 mil just to not see McT in first squad again.

reddev3

l
5 :). I'm so hyped for this transfer.

My favourite players growing up were Keane and Vieira, it's going to be so good having a top player in the middle of the park that can gee up the whole stadium with some fire and fight.

oreon

Just frustrates me that people seem happier to pick faults in this transfer rather than give it a chance first
There's the move and then there is the player. There are legitimate reason to criticize the move which is want people are discussing. That's separate from the player. All of us will support the player regardless if we think it was the right move. There's no question his age is an issue, that is why RM were okay letting him go. RM went in got 2 younger replacements in their early 20s.

A properly run club when it comes to transfer would look at both sides of why it would and why it won't work. Varane for example, was there a debate internally about his injury history ? I doubt it.
For Casemiro, was there a debate internally about his age ? I doubt it

You need to analyze the risk and benefit when you commit so much money and wages. If UTD have a history of big money signings done without any due diligence that eventually don't work out for various reasons. And fans get excited every time and any time other fans post reservations they are criticized as not supporting the players.

We can criticize the move. Doesn't mean the people who do are right. Eventually Casemiro's play and longevity will determine if its a good transfer or not. If 2 years from now, he's slow and we need to replace him then this was the wrong move.

lex talionis

This is such a brilliant signing it’s still hard to believe it’s true.

But just a note of caution. We’ve brought in brilliant footballers before but it didn’t work out — Vernon, Di Maria and Pogba, for example — and club management need to make sure Casemiro is looked after as a human being and that the manager and coaches use him wisely. He’s an extremely fit guy at 30 but I hope we don’t play him 2x a week throughout the season.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't want to ruin anyone's muppet orgasm here - far from it.

But on the other hand (yeah, yeah, puns), I don't blame anyone for being skeptical.

It is not unreasonable (pessimistic, sure, but not unreasonable) to regard him as a player who agreed to this move mainly because it's a last, big paycheck for him - and that he doesn't really give a shit about whatever "project" (if any) we have tried to sell. To what extent that will influence his performances is not for me to say.

In theory he could be a fantastic signing. His age is not a problem in itself, he's hardly "old" in current football terms.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
This is such a brilliant signing it’s still hard to believe it’s true.

But just a note of caution. We’ve brought in brilliant footballers before but it didn’t work out — Vernon, Di Maria and Pogba, for example — and club management need to make sure Casemiro is looked after as a human being and that the manager and coaches use him wisely. He’s an extremely fit guy at 30 but I hope we don’t play him 2x a week throughout the season.
With the amount you’re paying him, he should be playing all your games when fit. You also don’t have any other options in his position.

Good signing. Not sure it’s great business considering his age, fee and high wages (kinda feels like Matic all over again), but he’s a proven winner and will undoubtedly improve your team. Excited to see him play in the PL.

lex talionis

I don't want to ruin anyone's muppet orgasm here - far from it.

But on the other hand (yeah, yeah, puns), I don't blame anyone for being skeptical.

It is not unreasonable (pessimistic, sure, but not unreasonable) to regard him as a player who agreed to this move mainly because it's a last, big paycheck for him - and that he doesn't really give a shit about whatever "project" (if any) we have tried to sell. To what extent that will influence his performances is not for me to say.

In theory he could be a fantastic signing. His age is not a problem in itself, he's hardly "old" in current football terms.
Every new signing is a gamble. Di Maria, and Sanchez and Pogba all had massive reputations before they flopped at OT. It’s part of the adventure of being a club supporter that there are no guarantees with any new player.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
He didn’t. Hence why we were so stuck on FDJ for so long and tried our best to sign Rabiot and now Casemiro
IMO if ETH really felt he needed more midfield reinforcements (perhaps he thought adding Eriksen was enough?), you would not have wasted all summer chasing a player who doesn’t seem interested. There has been grave urgency for a while to upgrade on McFred. But it took 2 humbling defeats by mid table teams to get the cheque book out, panic button pushed. IMO ETH, like pretty much his predecessors in recent times, made the mistake of giving these players a clean slate.
That being said, Casemiro is a good signing IMO and who knows, maybe his arrival could make FDJ change his mind.

croadyman

Shades of Micah Richards saying Benzema was aspiring to reach Harry Kanes level during last seasons CL run :lol: :lol:

I'm convinced these paid pundits don't watch other leagues
Course they don't it's poor form yet again

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It’s part of the adventure of being a club supporter that there are no guarantees with any new player.
Yep, sure.

But then again, we haven't signed a single player in the "possibly over the hill" category yet (in the post-SAF era) who turned out to be a brilliant acquisition.

So - people are shy from being bitten (rightly so).

cyberman

IMO if ETH really felt he needed more midfield reinforcements (perhaps he thought adding Eriksen was enough?), you would not have wasted all summer chasing a player who doesn’t seem interested. There has been grave urgency for a while to upgrade on McFred. But it took 2 humbling defeats by mid table teams to get the cheque book out, panic button pushed. IMO ETH, like pretty much his predecessors in recent times, made the mistake of giving these players a clean slate.
That being said, Casemiro is a good signing IMO and who knows, maybe his arrival could make FDJ change his mind.
As we’ve seen I dont think it’s been wasted since we have got quality targets in. It was always said Ten Hag wanted to wait as long as possible to get in De Jong and it seems the standard of midfielder didn’t drop when he went for the alternative

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
As we’ve seen I dont think it’s been wasted since we have got quality targets in. It was always said Ten Hag wanted to wait as long as possible to get in De Jong and it seems the standard of midfielder didn’t drop when he went for the alternative
Why exactly would he want to wait to secure De Jong? Is he expecting a last minute bargain deal from Barcelona? Or am I missing something?
IMO Casemiro is a panic buy. A good one, but a desperate signing nonetheless. It’s a signing I don’t think you’d have made if you didn’t get thumped in your first two games.

DSG

One thing that is underrated in the Casemiro signing is I think he has a huge mentality, a bit of nastiness, and he just wants to win. Even if he gives us just 3 years, if he can help turn around our weak mentality, it’s probably worth it. What has Declan Rice won?

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
I swear, you brits tend to overrate your talented footballers to madness.

Iron Stove

One thing that is underrated in the Casemiro signing is I think he has a huge mentality, a bit of nastiness, and he just wants to win. Even if he gives us just 3 years, if he can help turn around our weak mentality, it’s probably worth it. What has Declan Rice won?
I couldn't agree more. This is exactly the kind of signing we need to make to pull the weak willed dross out of the gutter.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I swear, you brits tend to overrate your talented footballers to madness.
I think it's just complete ignorance. The TV pundits in the UK are absolutely appalling and almost to a man have probably never seen a game outside the PL or English teams' CL games all year.

Those morons in that clip have barely heard of Casemiro, so they talk about somebody they know instead. The bloke has only won the Champions League five times.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
3 years is mid term in Football. People seem to think that it's short term when it's not, SAF would general turn a substantial part of the team after 3 years. Few players are meant to be long term core players.

RedorDead21

l
Perfectly fine might not cut it when he’s passing to guys not finding space whose first thought is to play the ball straight back regardless of the danger. He needs FDJ next to him

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
This is insane. Nobody would ever pay 100m for Rice over 60m for prime Casemiro. Where? Where are these clubs bidding for Rice.
There is a reason the likes of Real/Bayern/PSG/City aren’t targeting fecking Rice. Partly because some of them have that position filled, but also because he ain’t as great as English pundits would have you believe. Add it to the long list of overhyped and overpriced English players.

For those asking about his passing; it is good enough. Sure he wasn’t Kroos/Modric level (who is?), but he is good enough to hold his own. I can imagine he will have an easier time with passing in the PL, at Madrid/LaLiga it required fast thinking and accuracy given the small spaces and collective pressing on the ball. So he did have his stinkerw every now and then, but there is a reason he has been the core of our midfield for 8 years or so.

OmarUnited4ever

3 years is mid term in Football. People seem to think that it's short term when it's not, SAF would general turn a substantial part of the team after 3 years. Few players are meant to be long term core players.
On the bolded, It really depends.

SAF's United had VDS, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs and Rooney, that's 8 players that played together consistently for about 6-7 years from 2006-2012 (Ronaldo,Tevez & Berbatov, were in that core for 3 years each)

I would say you refresh the squad and add 2-3 quality players to the main core every 2-3 years depending on what's needed (SAF brought in the likes of Valencia and Rafael who became core players for some time), until you slowly and smoothly transition to a new core and the main core changes significantly, for example, at Madrid, it could be Militao, Mendy, Tchouameni, Valverdi, Camavinga and Vini forming the basis of a new core once the remnants of old guard depart.

Sadly, I'm saying all that knowing full well we don't have much of a nucleus of a core players to build around

croadyman

I couldn't agree more. This is exactly the kind of signing we need to make to pull the weak willed dross out of the gutter.
Yeah that side I am looking forward to seeing, having done it for Real in recent seasons will love the big aways that's for sure

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Yeah people forget 3 years is 6 transfer windows where you have time to develop or scout a replacement too.

Casemiro cant be viewed as a stop gap given his unquestionable ability to perform at the top level. I do think its a significant mindset change from FDJ but I for one am very excited by the prospect of having a world class screener for once!

Casemiro
Eriksen/Bruno Fred​

Is for me such a huge difference to having McTominay or Fred attempt to perform that role.

croadyman

Perfectly fine might not cut it when he’s passing to guys not finding space whose first thought is to play the ball straight back regardless of the danger. He needs FDJ next to him
Well we need to keep money back for him, if it's not there for Antony then simply have to prioritise FDJ over others.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
On the bolded, It really depends.

SAF's United had VDS, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs and Rooney, that's 8 players that played together consistently for about 6-7 years from 2006-2012 (Ronaldo,Tevez & Berbatov, were in that core for 3 years each)

I would say you refresh the squad and add 2-3 quality players to the main core every 2-3 years depending on what's needed (SAF brought in the likes of Valencia and Rafael who became core players for some time), until you slowly and smoothly transition to a new core and the main core changes significantly, for example, at Madrid, it could be Militao, Mendy, Tchouameni, Valverdi, Camavinga and Vini forming the basis of a new core once the remnants of old guard depart.

Sadly, I'm saying all that knowing full well we don't have much of a nucleus of a core players to build around
We used to change 2 to 3 quality players every year, that's around a third of the team every 3 years, that's substantial. The players that are considered core players are about 7-8 players over 10 years these players play with easily 50 different players over a decade, that's why I say that core players are meant to be few.

Also it's interesting to see VDS mentioned as a core player when we signed him when he was 34, nearly 35 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.