Casemiro | United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSingh2002

I reckon it will be more like:

Fred - Casemiro
Eriksen

I think this signing will be the end for Bruno.
I think Ten Hag doesn't want to see Fred's pass attempts anymore. Bruno could only be taken out if we sign another number 8 and Eriksen goes to 10. Or we sign another 10. Can't see him being dropped just yet.

Eli Zee

I reckon it will be more like:

Fred - Casemiro
Eriksen

I think this signing will be the end for Bruno. (I hope so).
4-2-2-2
bruno false 9, ronaldo striker
Sancho/erikson AM
Fred/casemiro

Or do I just play too much fifa?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I hope people know what they're getting with Casemiro. He's not the best on the ball but is an absolute beast defensively.

People expecting him to be some insane DLP need their head shaking.
He’s exactly what we need. We are far too soft in midfield and teams walk through us. That won’t be the case with him in the team.

He will far from fix all of our problems, but it will be a bloody good start.

the_cliff

He’s exactly what we need. We are far too soft in midfield and teams walk through us. That won’t be the case with him in the team.

He will far from fix all of our problems, but it will be a bloody good start.
I'm not hating on the signing. I just know that when he gives a couple of stupid balls away (which he will) people will think he's gone to shit. I just want to people to realise what type of player he is.

He's like the opposite of De Jong.

FiiiiveTenHaaags

A lot of people are cynically saying the Glazers had money kept in reserve they’ve used as an emergency for this.

In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. The first palanca has been activated - the establishment of ‘Only Phils’. For a monthly subscription, you can now tune in and witness Phil Jones and Phil Neville do whatever you want…for a price.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's a completely different player to De Jong who was Ten hag's number one target, surely we still need someone who can dictate the game? Am I missing something?
Move Eriksen to 8 which is where he excelled for many years at Spurs with Dele Alli as the number 10.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Great player and I'm delighted to have him. But I can't help but feel gutted that this signing, as well as our obvious intent to suddenly throw more big money around, indicates that the Glazers do not want to sell the club.

marktan

Casemiro is going to be playing in the Europa League anyway so I'm not entirely sure where you were going with that point on the conference. I don't see that he makes us any more likely for CL football than spending our money on younger players that we'd scouted and identified through proper process.

He's 30 years old, of course he's aging. Saying he isn't doesn't change the fact that he is. Players age differently, yes, but he could enter a decline at any point over the next few seasons. We might get lucky, we might not - the point is we're making huge concessions to get this world class player. Real know that, that's why he's not indispensable, they have the next generation coming through because they know what they're doing. They wouldn't be making this decision if he was younger, that is clear as day so they clearly don't think age is unimportant.

That shows the difference between a succession plan, and a club bungling things with totally random acquisitions that sound good and repeating the same mistakes. We should have been building a squad from the ground up and accepting a bit of growing pain if necessary, instead we're parachuting this guy in. It's like groundhog day, we've done this dance with Real last summer without great success.
Amen. People will say oh but we're in a bad spot it doesn't matter let's just get people in, but it's short sighted.

That said we so badly need a DM I can't be upset with the transfer. Varane, Martinez for me were pointless signings. But in general given how the club runs things, Casemiro will help shore us up for a few seasons but the rest of the team won't be good enough to come anywhere near challenging for anything given we're spending 70m on players like Sancho and 50m on Martinez, 40m on VDB. So all in all some short term gain but we'll be back in the same spot in 3 seasons.

the_cliff

I think Ten Hag doesn't want to see Fred's pass attempts anymore. Bruno could only be taken out if we sign another number 8 and Eriksen goes to 10. Or we sign another 10. Can't see him being dropped just yet.
Personally, I find Bruno's pass attempts more frustrating.

Fred is a far better number 8 than Bruno, in fact with Fred and Casemiro for once I'm fairly confident in our midfield base being solid. Eriksen is a better number 10 than Bruno in terms of ball retention hence why I think he'd be preferred by Ten Hag.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
But the players aren't all magically failures because they cross the white line at Old Trafford. We're not cursed.

It's because we have zero ideas about what we're doing in the market. We don't seem to know how we're going to play, who suits it, how to get the right blend of legs and technique into a side, how to ensure a good balance of age profiles (see striker where we consistently sign pensioners)

Yet we are doing the exact same thing we have been season after season that is indicative of our muddled thinking and then fans get blinded by the name Casimero. He's world class, he'll propel us, the usual arguments.

Signing a guy seemingly on a whim because a big club have put him on the market, signing at the last minute, signing an aging star, all the usual indicators of how we operate yet many people seem to just get attached to the name in question as a defence for what we're doing.

How many times will we be seduced by names ahead of good process and then act surprised when the squad is random and failing and the individual quality of the players doesn't make any impact? We seem to go around in circles, the fans and also more worryingly the club.
I don’t see this as a whim AT ALL.

If they hadn’t seen great things from their big new signings then Casemiro would t be on the market. People probably didn’t expect him to be available til next year at earliest.

He takes very good care of himself and is only 30, not 34.

He is still, right now, one of the very best players in the world and a dedicated winner. There’s no question you add him.

RedCurry

I don't understand what we're doing.

The team lacks a metronome player in midfield still, so we go from De Jong to Casemiro?

Does our board have a plan?

He's a great player, but our approach seems so scattergun.
We need both these types of players. Given our frailty at the back, DM is arguably much higher priority.

Tyrion

We need both these types of players. Given our frailty at the back, DM is arguably much higher priority.
Honestly we need a new midfield. Ericsen is pushed back there because we essentially don't have a midfield. Casemiro and FDJ would be amazing.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
To any United supporter still not happy with this deal - thank Barcelona for their theatrical summer f*ckery. The plan was in certain to get Frenkie in the first place, then build new team around him, with Casemiro or not.

Eddy_JukeZ

Of course we need both, but I don't think Casemiro was a target for us until De Jong became dead in the water.

SAFMUTD

Not excited to be honest, he'll be a short term fix who will be expensive and we'll have to replace him in 2-3 years.

We should be signing players looking towards the future.

Also, Real willing to sell him surely turns on a red light.

CM

The team lacks a metronome player in midfield still, so we go from De Jong to Casemiro?

We need both types of player. Casemiro shouldn't be a replacement for de Jong but it doesn't decrease the need for a midfielder like him. We've been so easy to play through for well over a year now and that is largely due to the absence of any defensive midfielder.

You're right in saying our approach is scattergun though. It absolutely is, and there probably isn't much of a plan either. But we've got to take any wins we can right now and Casemiro could well be one.

Abraxas

Conference League is where we'll be if we're lucky next year, because we can't put our hopes on a long term strategy right now to get us out of the shit we're in. We're woefully behind our rivals and haven't got time to take a chance on some "maybes". I'd rather we did that as well but realistically we're one more feck up away from becoming 90s Liverpool.

You used ageing in a derogatory way simply because the first number in his age starts with a 3 instead of a 2 (or maybe you didn't and I'm just very defensive about age now that I've turned 35 ffs). He's a DM not a striker. He doesn't rely on raw pace. Sergio Bouquets is a full four years older than him and still playing at Barcelona. In fact, look at the best DMs in the world and tell me which ones are younger than Casemiro let alone Busquets or any of the others.

Your third point; see my first point. Short term stability first, get CL again. Then we can target players that take us up a notch on our own terms. We're unattractive right now. But as a famous scholar once said; cocks out! :)
If you think the conference league is our best hope, then why hit the panic button anyway? After all it doesn't matter that much in that scenario, you could be squad building and developing players. This is a signing aimed at a bit more than that. I think long term is the only possible successful strategy. I say that on the basis of what we have seen year upon year. I don't see how this summer culminating in this signing is any kind of departure from our usual M.O.?

Casimero is also a "maybe." He comes with his own risk factors that are quite obvious.

I'm also 33 so I feel you, and I can't run like Busquets. But these lads play in completely different leagues and styles of football. They have better teams. We're asking Casimero to come into a shit show in a very intense league. If he isn't showing aging legs now, give him a year covering Maguire and we'll see!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not excited to be honest, he'll be a short term fix who will be expensive and we'll have to replace him in 2-3 years.

He's 30 and a model pro and Fernandinho lasted til mid 30s. 2 years is the bare minimum he has left. I'd say 2-3 years before he starts declining, 4 years as a starter not being out of the question unless he drops off a cliff at 33/34. Madrid selling him because they signed tchouameni and Camavinga for 150m. Not going to keep them on the bench when they're also ready to play, even though they aren't casemiro yet.

bosnian_red

We've lacked a DM ball winner for years. Ten hag has likely quickly realized he has to adjust his plan to include a better ball winner in. With a deep playmaker we still would've been horrible defensively and at winning the ball back. Better chance Eriksen turns into a deep playmaker next to casemiro.

NZT-One

But the players aren't all magically failures because they cross the white line at Old Trafford. We're not cursed.

It's because we have zero ideas about what we're doing in the market. We don't seem to know how we're going to play, who suits it, how to get the right blend of legs and technique into a side, how to ensure a good balance of age profiles (see striker where we consistently sign pensioners)

Yet we are doing the exact same thing we have been season after season that is indicative of our muddled thinking and then fans get blinded by the name Casimero. He's world class, he'll propel us, the usual arguments.

Signing a guy seemingly on a whim because a big club have put him on the market, signing at the last minute, signing an aging star, all the usual indicators of how we operate yet many people seem to just get attached to the name in question as a defence for what we're doing.

How many times will we be seduced by names ahead of good process and then act surprised when the squad is random and failing and the individual quality of the players doesn't make any impact? We seem to go around in circles, the fans and also more worryingly the club.
I agree. Once again the proposed name will erase a few lessons we should have learned painfully through the years. I am absolutely not against Casemiro, but giving him a 5year contract is just dumb. Would have tried to give him a 2+1 or 3+1 year deal with a fat wage if necessary. This should be what you do for a stop gap signing. Lets face it, he won't be part of mid- to longterm future, once he is there, we more or less should create a plan to be able to replace him if needed in 2 years maximum.

We are laughing at Barca and their way of risking the future but we are doing it (on a smaller scale of course) just as well - trying to cover up mistakes in planning and recruitment by bringing in a big name. Who knows, next year it might be Carvajal and Kroos. Maybe even Benzema as we like our old strikers.

It really is a weird situation. I think, it is way better to bring in Casemiro instead of doing nothing. But, even though we should have learned the exact lesson with Matic, we are risking a lot. Hope he does well, hope it works out. It is a signal of intent by the club. But they still have to show an astronomically higher level of planning from now on to convince me of their competence. This transfer feels a bit like Ronaldo, even though not as strong as last year: the heart is happy but the brain remains a bit skeptical.

edit: just seen that we are offering 4+1 year. Well that wouldn't be my pick but at least thats better than 5 years straight. I'd change my evaluation then from dumb to shortsighted.

I'm not hating on the signing. I just know that when he gives a couple of stupid balls away (which he will) people will think he's gone to shit. I just want to people to realise what type of player he is.

He's like the opposite of De Jong.
Which might not be the worst thing in the world. I mean, De Jong wouldn't have solved the puzzle of ManUtd midfield on his own as well because he lacks a few defensive traits. Casemira has all those traits but nothing in terms of ball progressions. Which means, somebody like like Mejbri or Garner could come into play because the heavy defensive load should be on Casemiro.

Last edited:

Abraxas

I don’t see this as a whim AT ALL.

If they hadn’t seen great things from their big new signings then Casemiro would t be on the market. People probably didn’t expect him to be available til next year at earliest.

He takes very good care of himself and is only 30, not 34.

He is still, right now, one of the very best players in the world and a dedicated winner. There’s no question you add him.
I don't think your characterisation of how Casimero came onto the market contradicts my point at all. It supports the fact we made this signing on a whim. Or if we're to be kinder to the management, we can say opportunistic if you prefer.

They decided their other options are better to rely on and develop, probably with a view to long term planning, and we wade into the market for a player simply because he's become available at the 11th hour with 60 million quid.

bosnian_red

I feel like anyone not excited by this hasn't been paying attention the past 5 years. No big club can be successful without a good DM, a good reliable way of being organized and winning the ball back efficiently. We're making pretty much the single biggest position upgrade possible for us, at least for short term. The rest of our team will he able to play better having a better base behind. Yeah, we still need a deep passer, but there's a better chance Eriksen turns into thatn next to a DM like Casemiro

Dempsey19

They paid like 80m euros for Aurélien Tchouaméni not so long ago. Real are okay selling him because they plan for things like this.

At the end of the day do we want McTominay in our starting 11 or Casemiro?

We aren't winning the league anytime soon but we need to get back into CL first and foremost. That opens up a different pool of players available then.

Rojow

I don't feel nothing about this signing. I should be happy, but a i can't see this was planned all along. It's a panic buy and often these don't work well.

AussieDevil

Boys I still can’t believe we’re signing the best fecking DM in the world. I’ve been so mentally drained by this club that the best memories of the past decade have been the return of the GOAT, the signing of Casemiro, Varane and Sancho. It hasn’t ended well most of the time but the dopamine hit has been epic.

the_cliff

I agree. Once again the proposed name will erase a few lessons we should have learned painfully through the years. I am absolutely not against Casemiro, but giving him a 5year contract is just dumb. Would have tried to give him a 2+1 or 3+1 year deal with a fat wage if necessary. This should be what you do for a stop gap signing. Lets faces, he won't be part of mid- to longterm future, once he is there, we should more or less create plan to replace him in 1 or 2 years.

We are laughing at Barca and their way of risking the future but we are doing it (on a smaller scale of course) just as well - trying to cover up mistakes in planning and recruitment by bringing in a big name. Who knows, next year it might be Carvajal and Kroos. Maybe even Benzema as we like our old strikers.

It really is a weird situation. I think, it way better to bring in Casemiro instead of doing nothing. But, even though we should have learned the exact lesson with Matic, we are risking a lot. Hope he does well, hope it works out. It is a signal of intent by the club. But they still have to show an astronomically higher level of planning from now on.

Which might not be the worst thing in the world. I mean, De Jong wouldn't have solved the puzzle of ManUtd midfield on his own as well because he lacks a few defensive traits. Casemira has all those traits but nothing in terms of ball progressions. Which means, somebody like like Mejbri or Garner could come into play because the heavy defensive load should be on Casemiro.
I agree with both points. I'm not really as excited about the signing as other people because as you said it's a short term fix and it does feel as if it was a panic move, considering he definitely wasn't part of the plan at the beginning. That being said I do like Casemiro and I'm an avid watcher of Madrid and Brazil and know his worth. My point was more how people will judge him as he's not the best with the ball at his feet as that is what some people are expecting.

I do disagree with your point on Hannibal and Garner however. Unless we sign a midfield partner in the De Jong mould, he will definitely partner Fred. Which is not a bad thing as they form a really solid base for their national team, the problem is Brazils attack is a lot better than ours, as they depend on Vini/Neymar/Raphinha to create while we have Rashford/Elanga/Sancho etc. I don't think Hannibal or Garner are anywhere near ready to start in the prem and are levels behind Fred.

AndyMUFC

Yeah, now is not the time to moan. We all know we're desperate and yes it is 100% a signing with here and now in mind rather than the future but that's what we need with the mess we're in.

We've been crying out for this type of midfielder for years and 30 really isn't that old for a footballer these days. Great signing. Still Glazers out.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Yeah, now is not the time to moan. We all know we're desperate and yes it is 100% a signing with here and now in mind rather than the future but that's what we need with the mess we're in.

We've been crying out for this type of midfielder for years and 30 really isn't that old for a footballer these days. Great signing. Still Glazers out.
Honestly I think in the 3 years or so he's still playing top level the rest of the squad can be built, the whole point is to refresh the squad each summer having an older player isn't always terrible.

Hes a serial winner. You don't want an entire squad to be 22 because you need to replace them at the same age anyway.

30 years old is definitely overstated

NK86

This is Real Madrid, not Bayern. They have sold great players in the past for shinier toys.

Also, I don't get the constant whining from some on here. Yeah it would have been great to get De Jong, but Casemiro is a top player. Someone like him would help our whole team as we are correcting a major position in our spine.

We obviously need another midfielder but Casemiro with Eriksen by the side works much better than De Jong and Eriksen (at least on paper).

Next year if we miraculously show signs of revival, we can go for De Jong again and start filling out our other gaping holes in the squad.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So so so happy about this signing, we’ve bought the best DM in the world to replace McFred combo.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I have to say I don’t quite like this potential signing. We are in desperate need of midfielders who can hold the ball and keep possession under pressure, and playmake at the same time. He is not. Or am I wrong?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This is Real Madrid, not Bayern. They have sold great players in the past for shinier toys.

Also, I don't get the constant whining from some on here. Yeah it would have been great to get De Jong, but Casemiro is a top player. Someone like him would help our whole team as we are correcting a major position in our spine.

We obviously need another midfielder but Casemiro with Eriksen by the side works much better than De Jong and Eriksen (at least on paper).

Next year if we miraculously show signs of revival, we can go for De Jong again and start filling out our other gaping holes in the squad.
I think Casemiro + Fred/VDB + Eriksen would be our most balanced midfield in decade.

the_cliff

Thank goodness Rabiot rejected the salary offered and the deal collapsed
I think we would've gone for both. I still think we'll be going for another midfielder. Casemiro in himself is not enough. We'll need somebody more comfortable on the ball to play the ETH way.

Status
Not open for further replies.