Casemiro | United Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1z3mu

Finally - I'm really excited about signing. Yes, we will probably overpay. But I don't care. It will be money well worth it.

pseudo_canadian

I have to say I don’t quite like this potential signing. We are in desperate need of midfielders who can hold the ball and keep possession under pressure, and playmake at the same time. He is not. Or am I wrong?
Our defense has absolutely zero cover with McFred. We need a quality DM and a CM who can dictate play from deep. Midfield defends, defense cleans up the mess, etc.

Casemiro is just a piece of the bigger puzzle. He’ll instantly make our midfield more balanced and solidified.

Though we still absolutely need another CM in there beside him starting attacks from deep.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Kroos and Modric themselves needed Casemiro to be unlocked.

Midfielders complement each other, it's not something made up.
100% true! Unlike Benitez, Zidane had the guts to tell Perez to f-off with his meddling. Under Benitez, Kronos and Modric played in a midfield 2 with Bale in front of them in a 4-2-3-1. Kroos and Modric were constrained having to constantly play deep in front of defence, with no freedom to move upfield or outside the opposition penalty box. Zidane added Casemiro and the Midfield 2 became midfield 3 while Bale was shunted off wide. Suddenly Modric and Kroos could start conducting an orchestra.

the_cliff

100% true! Unlike Benitez, Zidane had the guts to tell Perez to f-off with his meddling. Under Benitez, Kronos and Modric played in a midfield 2 with Bale in front of them in a 4-2-3-1. Kroos and Modric were constrained having to constantly play deep in front of defence, with no freedom to move upfield or outside the opposition penalty box. Zidane added Casemiro and the Midfield 2 became midfield 3 while Bale was shunted off wide. Suddenly Modric and Kroos could start conducting an orchestra.
Agreed, However we don't have any Modric or Kroos in our squad. Which is why we still need another midfielder that's more comfortable on the ball.

Remember the geese

I can't believe how negative some people are being about this signing. He's a brilliant player. Literally the best of his type that we could realistically sign. I use the word "realistically" in amazement because I can hardly believe it's true. Yeah we wanted De Jong, but when people talk about this being a panic buy, I can only laugh. I really hope we panic and sign other world class players in our positions of need.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I have to say I don’t quite like this potential signing. We are in desperate need of midfielders who can hold the ball and keep possession under pressure, and playmake at the same time. He is not. Or am I wrong?
This is what ETH thinks before we totally loss our 2 opening games. In truth, we always need a strong ball winning DM the most, who is also decent in everything else. Casemiro is definitely the best out there in such role.

Beside, we’ve already got Eriksen, who is top midfield passer around. Casemiro + Eriksen would be far more balanced than FDJ + Eriksen.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I can't believe how negative some people are being about this signing. He's a brilliant player. Literally the best of his type that we could realistically sign. I use the word "realistically" in amazement because I can hardly believe it's true. Yeah we wanted De Jong, but when people talk about this being a panic buy, I can only laugh. I really hope we panic and sign other world class players in our positions of need.
United need clout in the market, sad to say but it's almost like Chelsea signing Makélélé or City getting players early on. You need a catalyst of "big players want to go there" again.

Once you get a few top top players at the club, it'll get easier to bring players, they won't think twice about signing.

Important to keep momentum however

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Casemiro is good at breaking up play/winning the ball but he's another player who has limited ability in possession.
This is blatantly untrue. He is very press resistant and is a safe short passer. Can’t remember him ever misplacing multiple passes in a game.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Agreed, However we don't have any Modric or Kroos in our squad. Which is why we still need another midfielder that's more comfortable on the ball.
Eriksen would be one, the other I am thinking of VDB or Zidane for now.

Tyrion

To any United supporter still not happy with this deal - thank Barcelona for their theatrical summer f*ckery. The plan was in certain to get Frenkie in the first place, then build new team around him, with Casemiro or not.
Yeah I'm more annoyed by the lack of work on a new striker than not getting FDJ. Everyone in English football will make this about United but, as I understand it, the bigger issue is Barca trying to stiff him on tens of millions of euros so they can spend it on the best players from 2014.

Tyrion

This is blatantly untrue. He is very press resistant and is a safe short passer. Can’t remember him ever misplacing multiple passes in a game.
I'd agree with this. He's not Xavi or Modric but he's not a bad passer. He's just not a playmaker. We need someone like that to clean up behind Eriksen and Bruno.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
We have a great sporting project

Basically at Madrid if he preserves himself for what is likely his last WC, he will be eaten alive by the press and club management. At United, he will be hailed as a god for not being McTominay. Great sporting reasons and great salary too.

NZT-One

I agree with both points. I'm not really as excited about the signing as other people because as you said it's a short term fix and it does feel as if it was a panic move, considering he definitely wasn't part of the plan at the beginning. That being said I do like Casemiro and I'm an avid watcher of Madrid and Brazil and know his worth. My point was more how people will judge him as he's not the best with the ball at his feet as that is what some people are expecting.

I do disagree with your point on Hannibal and Garner however. Unless we sign a midfield partner in the De Jong mould, he will definitely partner Fred. Which is not a bad thing as they form a really solid base for their national team, the problem is Brazils attack is a lot better than ours, as they depend on Vini/Neymar/Raphinha to create while we have Rashford/Elanga/Sancho etc. I don't think Hannibal or Garner are anywhere near ready to start in the prem and are levels behind Fred.
Oh,yeah I agree with you. I also don't think the two of them aren't ready to start in the league. But I think, it would be easier to ease them into a team with a solid base (which would be provided by Casemiro. Both have the ability to progress the ball, think, it is more likely to shine in that regard than expecting Garner to hold the midfield so Eriksen and Bruno can join the attack.

I probably wouldn't have went to the premium solution in terms of DM. Now we seemingly did. Maybe there is another cheap and promising progressor out there we could get. Then I'd say, we really achieved something this transfer window in terms of fixing the midfield. Man, I surely don't want to look like I am missing him or something, but a midfield two of Casemiro and Pogba could have been a sight to behold...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Basically at Madrid if he preserves himself for what is likely his last WC, he will be eaten alive by the press and club management. At United, he will be hailed as a god for not being McTominay. Great sporting reasons and great salary too.
Nah United at least will always have the appeal of "whoever can be the guy to bring back the glory, will basically get a statue". Its a pretty big potential legacy thing.

reelworld

ten Hag played Alvarez who's a DM in his last year at Ajax and they did well. So he obviously knows how to play with a DM and not just fixated on playing with a DLP like de Jong. Even if we don't get a player like de Jong, I think we could see better play from Fred, Bruno and Eriksen.
My only concern is that all of them are closer in age so United needs to plan the midfield really careful for the next 2-3 years so we don't end up with 4 first choice player at the wrong end of 30

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Tchouameni is very new to this single 6 role (unless they decide to change their formation drastically but I don't see Carlo doing that).
He has Kroos besides him as a deep lying playmaker. Modric also drops deep regularly.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Crazy caftards not being excited about an actual defensive midfielder of good quality being signed? You lot just want something to moan about at this point.

Hal9000

Great player and I'm delighted to have him. But I can't help but feel gutted that this signing, as well as our obvious intent to suddenly throw more big money around, indicates that the Glazers do not want to sell the club.
It's less than we were going to pay for De Jong and, given De Jong's rumoured wages at Barca, probably less wages aswell. Besides this is a) not from the Glazers pockets and b) No sale will come quick and without CL football, we are worth a lot less.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I curse Man United … I hope you always come 4-7th so that the Glazers never leave. Absolutely crucial for us to have had him for depth during a WC- interrupted year.
Tchouameni: needs time and guidance
Cama: wasted at DM, rushes into tackles, much better at B2B
Alaba: Playing DM at Bayern in a third rate league is different from playing it in Liga.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I curse Man United … I hope you always come 4-7th so that the Glazers never leave. Absolutely crucial for us to have him for depth during a WC- interrupted year.
I'm going to reverse the aging process to bring back Robson, irwin, Scholes and saf in their prime

Witchking

Yes. Huge contract. Probably his last big payday. In his 30s. Has already won everything (at club level at least).

But I think we’re in the minority.
Bastian wanted to leave Bayern and Bayern also wanted to sell. Certainly not the same. If anything, this feels similar to Varane :wenger:

Storm

The Sancho and FDJ sagas have scarred me to the point where Im having a hard time believing we can do a transfer this quickly.
Cas la la la la la la la
Cas la la la la la la la
Cas la la la la la la la

When the day is dawning
On a Manchester Sunday morning
How I long to be there
with my Casemiro who's waiting for me there

Every lonely city
Where I hang my boots
Ain't as half as pretty
As where my Casemiro at

Is this way to Casemiro
Every night I've been hugging my pillow
Dreaming dreams of Casemiro
And sweet Casemiro who waits for me
Show me the way to Casemiro
I've been weeping like willow
Crying over Casemiro
And sweet Casemiro who waits for me

Cas la la la la la la
Cas la la la la la la
Cas la la la la la la

There's old Trafford singing
Hear the song of joy they are singing
For the sweet Casemiro
And the boys who's coming to see him
Just beyond Sir Matt Busby way
There's an open plain and it keeps me going
Though the wind and rain

Cas la la la la la la
Cas la la la la la la
Cas la la la la la la

dubplate warrior

I'd agree with this. He's not Xavi or Modric but he's not a bad passer. He's just not a playmaker. We need someone like that to clean up behind Eriksen and Bruno.
The sooner we drop Bruno the better mate. He's a liability and has been for a while.

Tarrou

amazing signing, one I thought would be impossible

also makes me a bit sad as I think it means a sale is not imminent, but that was wishful thinking

so long McFred, I wish I could say it was nice knowing you but.. it was shite

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think your characterisation of how Casimero came onto the market contradicts my point at all. It supports the fact we made this signing on a whim. Or if we're to be kinder to the management, we can say opportunistic if you prefer.

They decided their other options are better to rely on and develop, probably with a view to long term planning, and we wade into the market for a player simply because he's become available at the 11th hour with 60 million quid.
We’ll, yes, but from what I understand both our squads (and a few others) have been looking into when/if he would become available for years. If they had known he was available, they would have gone after him earlier in the window, along with several other teams.

What if De Bruyne or Goretzka had a falling out with their clubs tomorrow, and somehow you had a chance at them? Would you turn your nose up because it’s 11th hour?

To me a “whim” involves taking a flyer on a player that was available but you hadn’t considered before until other plans fell through.

Casemiro doesn’t fit that for me.

5 years is a long contract, but if you get in proper owners buying out the final two years if he loses a step shouldnt be a hardship.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I curse Man United … I hope you always come 4-7th so that the Glazers never leave. Absolutely crucial for us to have had him for depth during a WC- interrupted year.
Alaba: Playing DM at Bayern in a third rate league is different from playing it in Liga.
I don't think you need to waste a curse with that. That is unfortunately our level for the next couple of years unless we make more of the right recruitments.

Rolaholic

Yes. Huge contract. Probably his last big payday. In his 30s. Has already won everything (at club level at least).

But I think we’re in the minority.
Schweinsteiger had been marginalized at Bayern and was injury prone when he joined, he missed 22 matches his final season with them.

He was just about finished, Casemiro is coming off a Ballon D'Or shortlisted season as a key part of a European and league title winning squad and has missed just 4 matches over the last 4 years, half of which were due to covid/illness.

Only thing similar between them are their achievements at the same stage, they're coming off very different situations

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's super weird.

AshRK

People doubting him, well the guy just put a man of the match performance just a week ago against Frankfurt. He is a class player. He will fighr for the team's cause and will actually bring a physical presence.

Rolaholic

People doubting him, well the guy just put a man of the match performance just a week ago against Frankfurt. He is a class player. He will fighr for the team's cause and will actually bring a physical presence.
And he already hates the bloody Scousers :lol: :devil:

Womp

idiot
It's a business mate, it's not that deep. He's being sold because we are paying an amount that Madrid are happy to sell their asset for. You guys will be fine, it's hardly as if your midfield is shite without Casemiro.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
It's a business mate, it's not that deep. He's being sold because we are paying an amount that Madrid are happy to sell their asset for. You guys will be fine, it's hardly as if your midfield is shite without Casemiro.
Last year not having a backup DM was a weakness. It seems we’ve learnt nothing. Hope Papa Flo is not getting overconfident … he seriously underrated defensive talent in his first spell and look how that ended.
Also the mid year WC will cause havoc to fitness schedules. Lots of potential injuries.

fallengt

Best CDM right now. Hope he keeps that status for as long as possible.
Still we overpaid for a 30 years old player but club needs CPR so I don't mind it.

Rolaholic

Last year not having a backup DM was a weakness. It seems we’ve learnt nothing. Hope Papa Flo is not getting overconfident … he seriously underrated defensive talent in his first spell and look how that ended.
Also the mid year WC will cause havoc to fitness schedules. Lots of potential injuries.
You guys already have Alaba who can be a very quality immediate replacement while Tchouameni gains experience to take over in the coming years.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
his deal will be heavily incentivized and performance-related."
Let’s be real, this sounds like media spin … Casemiro would be a fool to not get more guaranteed salary at United than Madrid.

Status
Not open for further replies.