Cavani and Ronaldo in the same XI

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Quite happy to see Ole talking about that prospect and I think having an actual striker who is both a work horse and exceptional in finding space and drawing defenders will do wonders for Ronaldo. The question is the rest of our shape.

Against sides who aren't well stacked in midfield we could maybe field Pogba or Bruno next to McTominay, but we'd hardly play them both?

I'd quite like something like

------------------------de Gea
AWB---------Varane---Maguire--------Shaw
-----------McTominay---Pogba/Bruno
Mason--------------------------------------Sancho
-------------Cavani----------Ronaldo

Ronaldo could of course be nominally played from the left, but he'd not be there as a creative outlet (not that anyone has had that role bar Pogba)

----------McTominay---Pogba
Mason--------------Bruno----------Ronaldo
-----------------------Cavani

This would probably require Bruno to drop in more as an #8 and Pogba might be an #8 of sorts, but occupy the left side when Ronnie is more central. So the 433ish people were talking about in the summer.

See some people talk of a back 3 - who is the right wing back?

Can't wait to see those two in the same starting XI.

TheGame

It will either be 4-4-2 or still 4-2-3-1 with Ronaldo behind Cavani. Either way, you can't fit Bruno in the team as well unless you play a diamond or 3-5-2. Ronaldo hasn't got the tracking back abilities to play out wide.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Martial + anyone is a selection conundrum because of how little he does.

Cavani + anyone is never going to be any sort of headache because of how much he does.

I’ve got absolutely zero concerns over him. He’s clever, tonnes of guile, works the channels well, drops deep to help out. He’s a manager’s dream really and Ronaldo will love playing with him.

dal

It would definitely make opponents think if a full back was bombing forward with Ronaldo remaining in the half space.

Absolutely no reason why the both can’t play together.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It would only work to the detriment to the rest of the team imo.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It will be a diamond, if we play that.
Mason will be benched. Fred , McT, Pogba, Bruno in midfield .

GMoore23

De Gea
Dalot - Varane - Maguire - Lindelof - Shaw
McTominay - Bruno
Greenwood - Cavani - Ronaldo

Dempsey19

De gea
AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
Bruno Pogba
Greenwood Sancho
Cavani Ronaldo

Concede 43 but score 75.

hobbers

De Gea
Lindelof Varane Maguire
Dalot McTominay Pogba Shaw
Cavani Bruno Ronaldo
If we actually played this on the front foot, rather than 7 men camped in the penalty box vs Young Boys, I think it'd work quite well.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
No matter the formation, keeping Cavani on the bench is a waste. Still brilliant striker and footballer overall.

Use him while he still keep high standards of the game.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I'd be amazed if we ever see them both start together, but I'd love to see it

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
No way Bruno gets dropped, which complicates this even further. This looks like the most viable option with all of that front three interchanging.

Cristiano - Cavani - Greenwood (Sancho)
Bruno
:( McFred :(
Diamond is another option, but that doesn't fill me with confidence either.

Cristiano - Cavani
Bruno
Pogba - McTominay
Fred​

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ole's quite content with Wan-Bissaka and used him in such role. Sancho actually appeared as a wing-back occasionally for England (not sure if that was the starting formation, but he for sure filled that role during the game at some point), but that would only work against significantly weaker teams and Ole is unlikely to exercise this option anyway. Dalot as an obvious sub option.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I like a diamond, but I’d do McSauce or Matic as the base, and Pogba next to VDB. I like Fred but I don’t think he can do the holding role on his own, and both Matic and Scott have played CB so are more defensively minded. I’m sure Fred used to play further up the park for Shaktar, rather than defensively. VDB was solid if unspectacular in weds and I want to see more of him. I think he could make the no.8 role his own.
If you play a back 3, I’d prefer Dalot over AWB for his attacking superiority.
Personally I wouldn’t be looking to play CR7 wide, I’d like him and Cavani to be the main targets.

Luke1995

I think this could work but when Rashford is ready to go he would need to compete with Sancho and Greenwood for a spot on the wings.

I have a slight feeling that Greenwood alongside Ronaldo on the attack is the way to go long term. And Rashford to turn into a full time winger.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Would love them in the same XI. Even if we punted balls into the box aimlessly wed create a lot of goal opportunities.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It will either be 4-4-2 or still 4-2-3-1 with Ronaldo behind Cavani. Either way, you can't fit Bruno in the team as well unless you play a diamond or 3-5-2. Ronaldo hasn't got the tracking back abilities to play out wide.
Disagree, it’s Pogba that doesn’t make it. Ronaldo will be fine on the left if Fred is playing alongside McTominay. You can’t carry Pogba deep and Ronaldo on the left but I’m not convinced that Ronaldo is any worse than Rashford defensively.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not a good idea. Would mean one playing wide and Ronaldo is no longer that player while Edi is much better as a target man

TheGame

Disagree, it’s Pogba that doesn’t make it. Ronaldo will be fine on the left if Fred is playing alongside McTominay. You can’t carry Pogba deep and Ronaldo on the left but I’m not convinced that Ronaldo is any worse than Rashford defensively.
Have to disagree. Rashford is far more of a hard worker down the left than Ronaldo. Plus you really want Ronaldo up front attacking not wasting his energy tracking back.

Quite happy to see Ole talking about that prospect and I think having an actual striker who is both a work horse and exceptional in finding space and drawing defenders will do wonders for Ronaldo. The question is the rest of our shape.

Against sides who aren't well stacked in midfield we could maybe field Pogba or Bruno next to McTominay, but we'd hardly play them both?

I'd quite like something like

-----------McTominay---Pogba/Bruno
Mason--------------------------------------Sancho
-------------Cavani----------Ronaldo

Ronaldo could of course be nominally played from the left, but he'd not be there as a creative outlet (not that anyone has had that role bar Pogba)

This would probably require Bruno to drop in more as an #8 and Pogba might be an #8 of sorts, but occupy the left side when Ronnie is more central. So the 433ish people were talking about in the summer.

Pogba cannot play in a 2 man midfield, we're wide open everytime this happens. He has no defensive qualities and lacks the discipline/work rate for that role.

Pogba is excellent further up the pitch, he changes games. It's a waste to attempt to stifle him.

Devil may care

This is the only way I see it working but 8t benches Mason, Sancho and Rashford, which I don't want to see happen.

El Zoido

Would love to see Ronaldo - Cavani - Greenwood in a front 3. Not sure how the rest of the lineup would work out though.

EtH

I don’t see the point unless Bruno needs a rest.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

could see this eleven but slightly different 433 shape. Same goalie/back four then

————————————McTominay

———————Pogba ———————-Bruno

Mason ————————-————————————Ronaldo
⬇ ……………………………………. ………………………….. ⬇
———————————-Cavani

Needs discipline from Bruno and Pogba to not both pile up together. They split the defensive work (helping McT) and split the attacking too

GregM40

Would love to see Ronaldo - Cavani - Greenwood in a front 3. Not sure how the rest of the lineup would work out though.
Would totally work if we had a proper number 6 imo. Depending on opposition McFred and Bruno supporting that front 3 would be amazing.

Walters_19_MuFc

I personally wouldn't start them together. If we were to play a 442, then you'd want someone who could drop off and link play. Neither of these players are renown for their work outside the box but rather their work inside. That being said, I think if we were losing a game, then it should certainly be an option.

ti vu

It may work for some occasions, but I think it's not gonna be a main stay. This whole Ronaldo-Cavani is only suited for last resort or taking a piss mode, where we are either too desperate/ too comfortable to not even care about tactic.

We don't really have wingers for 4-4-2. Wasting other wing forward and play maker talents (Rashford, Greenwood, Bruno, Sancho, Martial) if you make them play wingers which require a lot more running back, and marking full backs. And in 4-4-2 we're either too weak defensively in midfield if we play Pogba or Bruno there, or just lack of creativity if we play McFred.

In wing back system, we don't have a reliable RWB. Shaw is good, but not great (attacking wise) at LWB if you compare to someone regarded as top wing back like Hakimi. The wingbacks are vital in this system. Not having a great attacking wingback would make the team very dull, easy to contain.

If we consider the diamond midfield with back 4, we would waste the other attackers. And diamond system is even more complicated to get it right. One of the 2 forwards, more often than not would have to go wide to play as winger. Full backs would switch to become wingbacks, with one midfield drop to make back 3. Peak Pep's Barcelona, and Pep Bayern Munich had so much resource, and suitable personnels, yet both team couldn't get it right as their plan B.

I don't think Cavani is worth all the trouble to have him playing with Ronaldo. Missing too many games due to injuries. He is not in the plan of the team next season going forward, unlike Ronaldo. And the team has to build around Ronaldo, and at this stage of his career, he's best suited (same with Cavani) to play closer to the goal. Moving them wide or having them to overburden defensive work is counter productive.

All in all, I don't think Ole has it to work with complicated systems. We're not even optimal with our preferred 4-2-1-3/ 4-2-3-1/ 4-3-3, which more suitable for the majority of our best players. Having a back up plan is good, but at least perfect a plan A first.

Last edited:

Fitchett

The good thing is that we have plenty of options now. Even if we don't start a match with these two up top, changes can be made if we're chasing a game.

De Gea
Lindelof Varane Maguire
Dalot/Sancho McTominay Pogba Shaw
Fernandes
Ronaldo Cavani

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Why would anyone want to see us play 442 with Ronaldo and Cavani ? It isn’t working. It’s one or the other. Ronaldo will play and when he doesn’t Cavani will. If we’re losing with ten mins to go Cavani can come off the bench with Ronaldo still on perhaps. Other than that it’s not happening

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Pogba cannot play in a 2 man midfield, we're wide open everytime this happens. He has no defensive qualities and lacks the discipline/work rate for that role.

Pogba is excellent further up the pitch, he changes games. It's a waste to attempt to stifle him.
He's been deployed there to varying success. The provision I'd make is that we're up against a relatively weak midfield (and not a work horse attack), so rarely.

could see this eleven but slightly different 433 shape. Same goalie/back four then

————————————McTominay

———————Pogba ———————-Bruno

Mason ————————-————————————Ronaldo
⬇ ……………………………………. ………………………….. ⬇
———————————-Cavani

Needs discipline from Bruno and Pogba to not both pile up together. They split the defensive work (helping McT) and split the attacking too
Yeah, would be quite interesting to see whether Bruno can adapt his game in this sense, and whether we lose too much of his qualities. Of course, we might pursue a midfield option in January if we're still in the CL and keeping pace in the league.

Those who don't see this work out at all - and I'm not arguing for this being a constant XI, I'm just really curious to see how well having Cavani up front will suit Ronaldo (a la Benzema) - given we're supposedly in for Haaland next summer, how do people think that's going to pan out? Both Haaland and Ronaldo are obvious guaranteed starters when fit. So if that's really the plan anyway, Ole will have to figure out a way to shape a team around that.

Main thing for me now is that Mason keeps playing, he's simply too good and he needs to keep developing. But I'd like to see him next to those two monsters.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think people are seriously underestimating Ronaldo’s ability to still play wide forward. He would be absolutely fine still playing there. The other thing is Cavani adds an insane amount of workrate. I’d argue Cavani + Ronaldo has higher workrate than Ronaldo + Rashford or Sancho.

Ronaldo——Cavani——Greenwood

That would be seriously formidable and I don’t think many teams would deal with the movement of Ronaldo and Cavani plus the added threat of Greenwood. If it puts a little more pressure on our defence then just drop Pogba and play McFred but there’s absolutely zero reason this can’t work and in fact it might be our best lineup.

Charlie Foley

Martial + anyone is a selection conundrum because of how little he does.

Cavani + anyone is never going to be any sort of headache because of how much he does.

I’ve got absolutely zero concerns over him. He’s clever, tonnes of guile, works the channels well, drops deep to help out. He’s a manager’s dream really and Ronaldo will love playing with him.
What about Cavani + Martial? WHAT THEN

Ole'sgunnarwin

A lot of football manager nonsense going on. Forget the 4-4-2 rubbish. They won't start more than 3 matches together this season. Ronaldo won't move wide, he's been a number 9 for years. If anyone moves out wide it might be Cavani but don't see that either. Cavani will have a substitute's role this season unless Solskjaer completely changes his system. Can't see it.

think people are seriously underestimating Ronaldo’s ability to still play wide forward
They absolutely are. Must be the same folks that decided without watching him play that he'd struggle to score 10 this season after that long in Italy.

Ronaldo will play like a better version of Rashford out wide - swap the explosive acceleration for 10X better decision-making, finishing, and movement off the ball.

And Rashford was one of our best players for much of last season.

ti vu

He's been deployed there to varying success. The provision I'd make is that we're up against a relatively weak midfield (and not a work horse attack), so rarely.

Yeah, would be quite interesting to see whether Bruno can adapt his game in this sense, and whether we lose too much of his qualities. Of course, we might pursue a midfield option in January if we're still in the CL and keeping pace in the league.

Those who don't see this work out at all - and I'm not arguing for this being a constant XI, I'm just really curious to see how well having Cavani up front will suit Ronaldo (a la Benzema) - given we're supposedly in for Haaland next summer, how do people think that's going to pan out? Both Haaland and Ronaldo are obvious guaranteed starters when fit. So if that's really the plan anyway, Ole will have to figure out a way to shape a team around that.

Main thing for me now is that Mason keeps playing, he's simply too good and he needs to keep developing. But I'd like to see him next to those two monsters.
I don't think we would get Haaland if Ole is still our manager. What I meant is not that Haaland doesn't want to join under Ole, but Ole would have a tactic to utilize Haaland, Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood without relegate half of them to bench players.

Haaland is monster in his role as the main scorer, focal of the attack, but to fit him up top alongside Ronaldo, he may have to sacrifice and change role to that of Rooney, Benzema. Haaland hasn't shown he have the same dribbling ability, and play making level like those 2. Then Haaland and Cavani have more difference than common style wise.

In the other direction, you don't mess around Ronaldo game, especially now at this stage of his career. A young Cavani may suit to play along side with Ronaldo, as he is known to be able to play support role for Diego Forlan and Zlatan. Even then in that role is not that great. Suarez also play support role in Uruquay attack for Forlan, and he's more prominent in comparison to Cavani. Now we have an older Cavani, he still shows great work ethnic, but it's not something so great that we we can't do without. He looked better last season when being compared to a bad bunch, but now just a few games Ronaldo had show he's faster, stronger, and as relentless if not more (attacking wise). We need pure pace in Rashford to stretch play. Greenwood is on the up, and he's comfortable to play in wide forward position. These 2 players' style is similar to Ronaldo, so it's for the best that they're afforded most game time to play to continue to develop, and learn from Ronaldo; than doing pointless experiment with no longer term benefit. You can't replace Cavani for Haaland like for like. Why bother?

ti vu

I think people are seriously underestimating Ronaldo’s ability to still play wide forward. He would be absolutely fine still playing there. The other thing is Cavani adds an insane amount of workrate. I’d argue Cavani + Ronaldo has higher workrate than Ronaldo + Rashford or Sancho.

Ronaldo——Cavani——Greenwood

That would be seriously formidable and I don’t think many teams would deal with the movement of Ronaldo and Cavani plus the added threat of Greenwood. If it puts a little more pressure on our defence then just drop Pogba and play McFred but there’s absolutely zero reason this can’t work and in fact it might be our best lineup.
It's not about whether Ronaldo's capability as wing forward here, it's about he wants to do it or no. Him adapting his game, it has been a lot of work since Ancelotti's second season at RM. Now just throw all those hard work out, so Ole can experiment shoehorning Cavani into the team? A player who unlikely to stay past this season, who has been in and out of the team due to injuries (since his final season with PSG). It's baffling.

One thing is certain that is Ronaldo needs to play where he feels the most comfortable, to yield the productivity. Build the team around it. Nothing else. You don't get a player like him, and going back reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't like the idea but I guess it could work in some games at home