Cech vs Bayer Leverkusen

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Thought Cech's response was very smart. He basically went after their image which won't go down well with the people higher up as social media = advertising. Seems clear enough from the response that it riled them.

Last edited:

Ban

For calling out someone for being a dick? Letting twats getting away with being twats is the easy move.
It was a joke. Nothing special.
Although it's a bit dickish. Probably some student who wanted to have fun or thought he was fun.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Seems a bit of an over reaction from Cech. Although, I think there is a point to be made about these official accounts that “play to their base” by belittling someone on the internet, to thousands of people, for a cheap laugh. Should probably leave it to he dedicated “footy banter” accounts and stick to their own club.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It was a joke. Nothing special.
Although it's a bit dickish. Probably some student who wanted to have fun or thought he was fun.
Cech's response was just a tweet, nothing more. As you say, a bit dickish from the Bayer account and there's nothing wrong with that being pointed out.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Seems a bit of an over reaction from Cech. Although, I think there is a point to be made about these official accounts that “play to their base” by belittling someone on the internet, to thousands of people, for a cheap laugh. Should probably leave it to he dedicated “footy banter” accounts and stick to their own club.
This. It's lowbrow humour whichever way you look at it. If that appeals to people then fair enough but it's easily criticised.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Why doesn't Cech just work on playing from the back rahter than bench pressing and searching out nonsense on Twitter. He should be over the moon Emery has started him ahead of Leno this season.

el3mel

Crap attitude from Leverkusen official account from the start tbh. They have no relation with this match to mock anyone.

forevrared

Clubs should not get involved in mocking players, it's pretty small time.

When they take the piss out of a genuinely good guy like Cech, they can go feck themselves.

As a fan I make jokes about players (including Cech) but I'd never dream of doing it if I was representing Chelsea, my own employer or even if I thought there was a chance he would ever see it.
It essentially boils down to bullying. I know it's a different time, but imagine they'd taken the piss out of Robert Enke, for example. Clubs have got to be smarter than this.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
We don't. Just going by some of the comments in this thread...

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/com..._medium=new&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=soccer

It's not hard to believe really. For instance, Roma being edgy at our expense the other night got them 100k retweets...

Few German clubs and Roma try way to hard.
Well then.. Feck those clubs and feck those american marketing agencies.

I know marketing is necessary, but I liked football more when the marketing was about nike ads like the one with Edgar Davids.

LInkash

Thought Cech's response was very smart. He basically went after their image which won't go down well with the people higher up as social media = advertising. Seems clear enough from the response that it riled them.
There's no such thing as bad publicity...Bayer Leverkusen hadn't crossed my mind for years!

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I actually like these usually.

This one was a bit dickish but on the whole I wouldn't like to see things go back to the old boring tweets. I enjoyed the Chelsea v PSG Twitter accounts taking the piss against each other when we kept meeting each other in the CL. It continued for like three years and nothing unseemly was said.

Last edited:

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I'm tired of official club accounts trying to be one of the lads with shit banter. Saw on Reddit that loads are run by one or two PR firms and it all comes across as so tryhard.

Agree so much with this.

The most annoying is the fact that when footballers come out with depression or have a break down is mostly to do with the abuse they get, and here we have an official club doing it.

There is no way to police every bellend on twitter but i think it's a disgrace that an official club did it.

Hell were still only 10 years from Enkes suicide...

jmaggio

To make a bigger point , I think PR driven and run social media accounts getting involved in “Banter” with shitty memes and jokes like this is becoming unbelievably cringy and I’m glad someone has called one of them out on it.

Jazzy2890

I think Cech was right to call them out on it. Its not like it was a fan account, this is an official club account.

We all know how this works, it starts out as 'harmless banter' but it will eventually escalate until someone goes too far all in the name of getting a few likes and retweets. Best nip this in the bud now.

Kapardin

Some official Twitter accounts trying too hard, but it gets them followers and retweets, so it is all part of the plan. But I think Cech is being a bit of a diva here. Probably feeling insecure about his position with Leno challenging him and took it out on Twitter.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Bit of both really in my view. Its both petty and a bit refreshing to see Leverkusen not just post some stale corporate speak that means nothing. Cech needs to realize he really isn't up to the standard and not respond to legitimate criticism.

Varun

Staff
I like the Roma account, good fun. Shouldn't have a dig at a player this way though

Baby-faced Assassin

I like the Roma account, good fun. Shouldn't have a dig at a player this way though
I agree. The humour has to be in context and the silly cut out pictures the Roma account did for new players were a bit of fun but this isn’t a good look for a club. The game is generally trying to take a stand against some serious issues and whilst this is bottom end of the scale in terms of seriousness clubs need to be seen to be squeaky clean and not be taking the piss out of players as it can quickly escalate.

Reactions: Sultan

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
I think Cech was right to call them out on it. Its not like it was a fan account, this is an official club account.

We all know how this works, it starts out as 'harmless banter' but it will eventually escalate until someone goes too far all in the name of getting a few likes and retweets. Best nip this in the bud now.
In what way will they go to far?

God, feck Cech.

Micky Targaryen

Perfectly understandable response from Cech. He probably is wary of any negative spotlight coming his way because Arsenal has a younger and capable keeper in Leno fighting for the spot as well. Cech has even bulked up more this season, he means business.

saivet

The tweet from Bayer is in response to this.

Can't say it bothers me that much but I do think these official twitter accounts should leave some of these jokes to the funny accounts or football twitter in general.