Celta Vigo in the Europa League semi-finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Going to be tough as last night proved. We have to have the right mentality.

I think we lost to Bilbao before in this competition, so the Spanish teams will be tough.

Away from home first is good. Get two away goals would be great.

Jev

Great draw. Avoided Lyon and got home advantage in the second leg. If we can't beat Celta over two legs, we've got no business being in the Champions League anyway.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
If you look at it , the sitters were all missed by Zlatan who clearly out of his form yesterday so itbwas one player's problem. Rest of chances bar the Rashford ( which people forget if it wasn't for Rash this chance wouldn't have even been present , he created it for himself ) were from difficult angles and not that easy.

We were frustrated yesterday so we couldn't judge fairly but yesterday it was Zlatan's problem , not the whole team.
Think you're letting him off lightly there, he could and should easily have had 2 or 3 yesterday.

Z_Wolf

I think we should go all out attack and try to score as many goals as possible in the away leg. With this many defenders out, I don't think we can keep them out at OT.

Nervous about this one. Everytime I watch them against the big boys in Spain, they always manage to be neck and neck.

ntripunovski

ok.... Can someone tell me, what if we are in the final with Lyon and somehow we loose the final... Lyon are suspended with 2 season not playing europian football two days ago so what will happen then? will United take Lyons place in Champions league and in SuperCup final?

el3mel

Think you're letting him off lightly there, he could and should easily have had 2 or 3 yesterday.
No because I don't think he missed any sitters except the one he stole it from the defender.

The other chances you see them missed in almost every game , and most of them as I said were from difficult angles to shoot from. Not all shots are supposed to enter the goal.

The chances Zlatan missed , however , were absolute sitters and can't be missed.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
ok.... Can someone tell me, what if we are in the final with Lyon and somehow we loose the final... Lyon are suspended with 2 season not playing europian football two days ago so what will happen then? will United take Lyons place in Champions league and in SuperCup final?
It's a suspended ban.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
No because I don't think he missed any sitters except the one he stole it from the defender.

The other chances you see them missed in almost every game , and most of them as I said were from difficult angles to shoot from. Not all shots are supposed to enter the goal.

The chances Zlatan missed , however , were absolute sitters and can't be missed.
Urm, they are. Obviously they don't but when a striker shoots it's supposed to hit the back of the net. That's the general idea.

el3mel

Urm, they are. Obviously they don't but when a striker shoots it's supposed to hit the back of the net. That's the general idea.
If this happened there won't be missing chances and it will be more like a hand ball game .

Any striker will miss chances no doubt. As long as they aren't absolute sitters I can't really blame him , especially because he also compensated and scored the winner.

Again if you compared his chances with Zlatan's then Zlatan clearly had the easiest chances to score.

MadMike

I think your definition of easily and everyone else's differs hugely. He only missed one good chance the 1v1 with the goalie. The other chance was the shot from an acute angle on his wrong foot where he hit the side netting. You don't expect a striker to score that, you only hope they do. Strikers either miss or have those shots saved 90% of the time.

Neither did you expect him to score the goal he did when the ball first fell to him, though he did make it happen. It was not easy at all to make the space and bury the shot there, which was again on his wrong foot.

Could he have had 2 or 3? Yeah, maybe. Easily? Feck, no. It's not realistic to expect a striker to bury 100% of his chances and half-chances.

Ixion

I think your definition of easily and everyone else's differs hugely. He only missed one good chance the 1v1 with the goalie. The other chance was the shot from an acute angle on his wrong foot where he hit the side netting. You don't expect a striker to score that, you only hope they do. Strikers either miss or have those shots saved 90% of the time.
I'm not one to criticise Rashford for missing chances but I think you're being kind on that one. He has to at least hit the target with the side netting one.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Who isn't beating Barca these days?
I've never seen a group of fans dread every fixture like this place.
This.

Put some unknown team in some fourth tier league up against us and you'd see people shitting bricks.

Bwuk

This.

Put some unknown team in some fourth tier league up against us and you'd see people shitting bricks.
I know. We are Manchester United ffs. Not one single Celta player would get a game for our team yet everyone panics.

If we don't go through it's a massive failure from the team.

GM K

Great draw. Avoided Lyon and got home advantage in the second leg. If we can't beat Celta over two legs, we've got no business being in the Champions League anyway.
Sums it up pretty well.

redsunited

m

meaning?
Its like a warning. For next 2 years they will be watched for similar problems. If they do the same mistake then the ban comes in to effect from the next year when they qualify to Europe. Right now they can continue to play this campaign even if crowd trouble effected in any of their games.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I know. We are Manchester United ffs. Not one single Celta player would get a game for our team yet everyone panics.

If we don't go through it's a massive failure from the team.
Sorry to inform you that having a big name doesn't necessarily translate into performances on the pitch. Nor does it give you a divine right to beat teams you see as lesser.

MadMike

I'm not one to criticise Rashford for missing chances but I think you're being kind on that one. He has to at least hit the target with the side netting one.
Let's agree to disagree. Hitting the target from a narrow angle, on your wrong foot, while the ball has a spin taking it further wide.. is not easy. And there are no rewards just for passing it straight at the goalie, who is basically covering the entire angle there, and calling it a "shot on target". You have to put power on it to hopefully go in off him or through his legs. Adding power to a shot on your wrong foot will 9/10 result in sending it high or wide. Like I said, form what I see the vast majority of those chances either go wide or are easily saved by the goalie. It was a chance for sure, but the expectation on him to score there is bizarre for me.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
All the teams left at this stage in the Europa League would be seen as relatively straightforward Champions League group games for any supposedly top side. I think people shit themselves with United because they're just so fecking inconsistent, and bottle it.

On a side note, how amazing would it be if City/Lpool finished fourth but we pipped them to the last CL spot via the Europa

starman

You can make a case for every team being a "tough draw".

At the start of the competition, if we were told we need to beat Celta Vigo over two legs to reach the final, everyone would or should be taking that

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
All the teams left at this stage in the Europa League would be seen as relatively straightforward Champions League group games for any supposedly top side. I think people shit themselves with United because they're just so fecking inconsistent, and bottle it.

On a side note, how amazing would it be if City/Lpool finished fourth but we pipped them to the last CL spot via the Europa
4th + Europa winners qualify.

Bwuk

Sorry to inform you that having a big name doesn't necessarily translate into performances on the pitch.
Perhaps not, but ffs it's Celta Vigo.

If we don't go through it's a failure. If at the start of the season Mourinho was told if we beat the team 10th in La Liga wed be in the Europa final he'd of been delighted.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

The issue is that we are not currently a top side, despite what people may think.
This will be a tough tie, but we should be able to get through.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I feel playing away in the second leg is advantage. The home team gets under lot of pressure when they concede away goals, which overrides their advantage of first leg. For instance, Anderlecht needed a goal to go through yesterday!

Alabaster Codify7

This is the exact draw I wanted, in terms of H/A order as well.

Aim to get out of Spain with a score draw at worst and put them to the sword at OT. They're no mugs but nobody is at this stage, it's not gonna be easy but I'll go for us to win 3-2 on aggregate again.

NK86

Won't United be the fifth English team in the CL next season if we win the EL but finish outside the top 4? Or is that only for CL winners?

el3mel

People somehow underestimate the teams in competition heavily as if we should beat them 4 or 5 each game. Look at Chelsea path in 2013 and the way they were getting through mediocre teams at best.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I feel playing away in the second leg is advantage. The home team gets under lot of pressure when they concede away goals, which overrides their advantage of first leg. For instance, Anderlecht needed a goal to go through yesterday!
And they needed just one extra in over 60 minutes so ensure you would've needed to score two more. If Celta keeps a clean sheet in the first game, they just need a scoring draw to proceed at OT. First leg home or away really doesn't make that much of a difference.

Ixion

Second game at home though means, as we saw last night, a potential 30 minutes extra at your own ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.