Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Infra-red

We need someone dominant in the air. I'm tired of us looking clueless in our corners and opponents.
Unfortunately, there aren't many CBs on the market who are good in the air and on the ball. That's why Van Dijk went for so much money.

MetoTTT

Koulibaly for me but he'll go only for crazy money. Not sure he'll comme to United at this stage.

Ahsan_6386

Well currently I feel we should go for 2 centre backs since apart from Smalling all our other centre backs have been very disappointing . Hopefully we sign one experienced and one highly rated youngster .

Personally I hope we go for Alderwerield and either one of Pavard or Romanogli .

With the sky high prices being quoted for Koulibaly and Skiniar it would be more sensible to spend money on Alderwerield whose price will go down to 25 million pounds in summer so maybe a 35 million pounds offer might nick him in winter transfer . He has experience of Premier league so he will not need time to adjust and he has good ball playing ability which will only be an advantage for us .

Between Pavard and Romanogli I am confused as to go for whom since Pavard is available for 45 million pounds next summer because of a clause I believe . He is a good centre back who can play in the right back position very well too as we saw in the last world cup . About Romanogli I have heard great things about him and he has been likened to Nesta so I am sure he is an excellent defender but it will probably take a mammoth bid to prise him away from Milan . So lets see whom United goes for in both the upcoming winter and next summer transfer window .

Bestietom

Skriniar Is good in air and alongside this giant Melinkovic, would make a great partnership for years.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
  1. Romagnoli
  2. Skriniar
  3. Koulibaly
  4. Manolas
  5. Milenkovic
  6. Rugani
  7. Varane
  8. Hernandez
  9. Gimenez
  10. Pavard
  11. Stark
  12. Akanji
  13. Tah
  14. Soyuncu
  15. Upamecano
  16. De Ligt
  17. Mammana
  18. Marquinhos
  19. Sarr
  20. Tierney
  21. Dias
  22. Maguire
  23. Ake
  24. Alderweireld
  25. Christensen
Hope we buy a couple of guys from this list to replace Jones and Rojo.

Johan07

Well currently I feel we should go for 2 centre backs since apart from Smalling all our other centre backs have been very disappointing . Hopefully we sign one experienced and one highly rated youngster .

Personally I hope we go for Alderwerield and either one of Pavard or Romanogli .

With the sky high prices being quoted for Koulibaly and Skiniar it would be more sensible to spend money on Alderwerield whose price will go down to 25 million pounds in summer so maybe a 35 million pounds offer might nick him in winter transfer . He has experience of Premier league so he will not need time to adjust and he has good ball playing ability which will only be an advantage for us .

Between Pavard and Romanogli I am confused as to go for whom since Pavard is available for 45 million pounds next summer because of a clause I believe . He is a good centre back who can play in the right back position very well too as we saw in the last world cup . About Romanogli I have heard great things about him and he has been likened to Nesta so I am sure he is an excellent defender but it will probably take a mammoth bid to prise him away from Milan . So lets see whom United goes for in both the upcoming winter and next summer transfer window .
He will not come any cheaper in the summer for the buying club, its just a question of the money being allocated in his and his agents pockets instead of Spurs. I dont get why people persist with this argument.
Plus: If we give Aldeweireld a 5-year contract his value will be next to nothing at 34 years old when his contract expires.
The prices quoted for players like Koulibaly and Skriniar are actually much more reasonable given that they will actually have a value when their contracts near expiration. They might even be worth more if they perform and the transfer market doesnt nose-dive.

Johan07

Thant's great but doesn't mean he'd be great in the air. Rojo is comparatively short but is good in the air.
And Matic is a flagpole but his aerial game is terrible. Fabio Cannavaro says hi also....

Ahsan_6386

He will not come any cheaper in the summer for the buying club, its just a question of the money being allocated in his and his agents pockets instead of Spurs. I dont get why people persist with this argument.
Plus: If we give Aldeweireld a 5-year contract his value will be next to nothing at 34 years old when his contract expires.
The prices quoted for players like Koulibaly and Skriniar are actually much more reasonable given that they will actually have a value when their contracts near expiration. They might even be worth more if they perform and the transfer market doesnt nose-dive.
Well my point was more regarding Alderwerield was more about his experience in both Premier league and international level as he will not take time to settle in as he knows the league so he is a safer and proven option . Valuation wise also its still a better deal than Koulibaly .

About Koulibaly its not a feasible deal since it will take a 100 million pounds deal to sign him next summer . He is 27 years old already and will be 28 by next summer . Add to that he will want high wages along with a big signing on amount . There is no guarantee that he will succeed in the Premier league so its a very risky proposition .

About Skriniar well in his case he is younger so one can take a risk and he will have time to get used to the league . Financially also it will be better to sign him than Koulibaly .

1. Romagnoli
  2. Skriniar
  3. Koulibaly
  4. Manolas
  5. Milenkovic
  6. Rugani
  7. Varane
  8. Hernandez
  9. Gimenez
  10. Pavard
  11. Stark
  12. Akanji
  13. Tah
  14. Soyuncu
  15. Upamecano
  16. De Ligt
  17. Mammana
  18. Marquinhos
  19. Sarr
  20. Tierney
  21. Dias
  22. Maguire
  23. Ake
  24. Alderweireld
  25. Christensen
Hes a LB not CB

Johan07

Well my point was more regarding Alderwerield was more about his experience in both Premier league and international level as he will not take time to settle in as he knows the league so he is a safer and proven option . Valuation wise also its still a better deal than Koulibaly .

About Koulibaly its not a feasible deal since it will take a 100 million pounds deal to sign him next summer . He is 27 years old already and will be 28 by next summer . Add to that he will want high wages along with a big signing on amount . There is no guarantee that he will succeed in the Premier league so its a very risky proposition .

About Skriniar well in his case he is younger so one can take a risk and he will have time to get used to the league . Financially also it will be better to sign him than Koulibaly .
I agree that Aldeweireld would have been the safest bet and also probably would have made the most instant impact on our team because of the reasons you state.
I personally think he would have been the best addition to our squad, largely because of his age. We already have two young centerbacks in Bailly and Lindelöf that needs to get some experience under their belts. Buying Skriniar would for me mean releasing one of those two, or our CB-setup would be too young for my liking at least.
I dont think its feasible to buy Aldeweireld in the winter window though. For the same financial reasons that it wasnt this summer: He has a gigantic payday coming because of his release clause next summer. So even if Spurs would agree to release him for 35m (wont happen, but just for arguments sake), why should he agree himself since it would dent his payday like 6 months from now. And thats not even considering the fact that there are no sporting arguments to leave Spurs for us midway this season anyways.
Its completely unrealistic in my mind. Im sure we will be in for him nxt summer though. As will a lot of other clubs.
And I was under the impression that Koulibaly was younger, sry about that. Even if he is still 2 years Tobys junior those numbers for him transfer-fee wise are not kosher either.

Infra-red

1. Romagnoli
  2. Skriniar
  3. Koulibaly
  4. Manolas
  5. Milenkovic
  6. Rugani
  7. Varane
  8. Hernandez
  9. Gimenez
  10. Pavard
  11. Stark
  12. Akanji
  13. Tah
  14. Soyuncu
  15. Upamecano
  16. De Ligt
  17. Mammana
  18. Marquinhos
  19. Sarr
  20. Tierney
  21. Dias
  22. Maguire
  23. Ake
  24. Alderweireld
  25. Christensen
Well, if aerial ability is a prerequisite, the only players on that list to win more than 2 aerial duels per 90 mins last season and win at least 60% of their aerial duels overall, are:

Romagnoli, Manolas, Milenkovic, Gimenez, Stark, Upamecano, Maguire and Christensen.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Well, if aerial ability is a prerequisite, the only players on that list to win more than 2 aerial duels per 90 mins last season and win at least 60% of their aerial duels overall, are:

Romagnoli, Manolas, Milenkovic, Gimenez, Stark, Upamecano, Maguire and Christensen.
Nice! Aerial ability should definitely be a requirement. Guessing that alderweireld would have made that list had he played more last season. Surprised that Koulibaly didn't make the cut though.

Anyways from your filtered list, which 2 would you say are capable of launching attacks/playing out from the back?

For me I'd go with Manolas (most experienced from that lot) and Romagnoli (only left footer there I think)

Infra-red

Nice! Aerial ability should definitely be a requirement. Guessing that alderweireld would have made that list had he played more last season. Surprised that Koulibaly didn't make the cut though.

Anyways from your filtered list, which 2 would you say are capable of launching attacks/playing out from the back?

For me I'd go with Manolas (most experienced from that lot) and Romagnoli (only left footer there I think)
I think Romagnoli is probably the best on the ball, and, as you said the only left-footer there. Christensen is also has quite a lot of potential in that area, if he can iron out some mistakes.

klsv

La Nazione from Florence already running a story about Fiorentina rejecting our 60 mil bid for Milenkovic. Literally no idea how reliable they are, but doesn't seem too believable that we'd already had a bid rejected after Jose watching him just yesterday evening.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Keep saying that IMHO Gary Cahill would be worth a low risk punt. I still believe that both Bailly and Lindelof have the ability to become good centre backs but it is quite clear that they need to plan along side an experienced and commanding premier league defender.

Cliche Guevara

He will not come any cheaper in the summer for the buying club, its just a question of the money being allocated in his and his agents pockets instead of Spurs. I dont get why people persist with this argument
To be honest, I don’t know why people persist with this argument.

If Alderwerield was a free transfer, he wouldn’t be getting a £40m signing on fee.

It’s a ridiculous argument.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Keep saying that IMHO Gary Cahill would be worth a low risk punt. I still believe that both Bailly and Lindelof have the ability to become good centre backs but it is quite clear that they need to plan along side an experienced and commanding premier league defender.
Oh god no. That lad has been stealing a living next to Terry, as soon as Terry left he was found out and dropped.

Johan07

To be honest, I don’t know why people persist with this argument.

If Alderwerield was a free transfer, he wouldn’t be getting a £40m signing on fee.

It’s a ridiculous argument.
I dont get this? Of course he would. Or he has the worst agent in football. And I am sure he has not. Are you serious with this post?
His value will be determined by what buyers in the transfer market is willing to pay next summer. It will not be materially different from now or last summer. Its just a question of allocation of the money. Kudos to him for getting that transfer clause into his contract and then seeing the transfer market going berserk. Jackpot, and he will be laughing all the way to the bank in the summer. Spurs and Levy not so much.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I dont get this? Of course he would. Or he has the worst agent in football. And I am sure he has not. Are you serious with this post?
His value will be determined by what buyers in the transfer market is willing to pay next summer. It will not be materially different from now or last summer. Its just a question of allocation of the money. Kudos to him for getting that transfer clause into his contract and then seeing the transfer market going berserk. Jackpot, and he will be laughing all the way to the bank in the summer. Spurs and Levy not so much.
Of course running down his contract will result in him (and his agent) getting more money, but it won't be the full amount that his previous club 'misses out' on. Maybe if there were a few top clubs all competing strongly for him, but at the moment it looks more likely to just be ourselves.

Walters_19_MuFc

We need a leader. Someone to make the same impact Van Dijk has done to Liverpool.

Koulibaly would be my choice. Top class defender, with experience at the highest level. He'd bring the best out of our other defenders too. Only thing I worry about is whether he can speak English or not.

Macern

Pee pee pants
We need a leader. Someone to make the same impact Van Dijk has done to Liverpool.

Koulibaly would be my choice. Top class defender, with experience at the highest level. He'd bring the best out of our other defenders too. Only thing I worry about is whether he can speak English or not.
How is he on the ball though? We’re in desperate need of a top class defender who can lead the back line and also help with the build-up play. Basically a Van Dijk.

Walters_19_MuFc

How is he on the ball though? We’re in desperate need of a top class defender who can lead the back line and also help with the build-up play. Basically a Van Dijk.
Koulibaly is very good on the ball. He has everything. As I said, though, not sure what his English is like.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Doesn't matter what his name is as long as he can be relied upon immediately when he arrives. We have one good CB in Smalling and while it might be possible to upgrade on him too, its not very easy and might take some time. What we can do is just try to get him a decent partner to work with, someone leftfooted with a good allround game and no big weaknesses. Surely there is someone like that out there that we could get in January.

Just having a non fancy reliable pair that doesn't have to be rotated every game can do lots of good for the team, immediately.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Other than Van Dijk is a very good centerback, what did he do to make you think he's a leader?

Jezpeza

In all fairness to Cahill, he's better than Jones has ever been.
Yeah but not really a huge upgrade on anything we have. Over the hill at 32. Yesterdays man. Thought we were looking to move forward not tread water. Could stick him in a back 4 with Valencia and young too, it’ll be dads army back there

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah but not really a huge upgrade on anything we have. Over the hill at 32. Yesterdays man. Thought we were looking to move forward not tread water. Could stick him in a back 4 with Valencia and young too, it’ll be dads army back there
I was never condoning Cahill joining, btw.

Suv666

Did a little youtube scouting (I know means feck all still thought I'd post my findings) of all are recent CB links. De Light looked amazing. Plays for Ajax too so gettable unlike Koulibaly. Milan looked kinda clumsy on the ball but great defensive skills. I'd be happy with either to be honest. Koulibaly is the dream though, dosen't take an expert to see he'll end up at either Real or Barca (I have actually seen him play).

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Thant's great but doesn't mean he'd be great in the air. Rojo is comparatively short but is good in the air.
I don't think Rojo is good in the air, he often miss timing his header. The only one who is good in the air in our defense is Smalling.

Alabaster Codify7

Gun to head...….Koulibaly. I think he ticks more boxes than most but we'd be breaking the transfer record to get him.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I hope we get two centre backs in January; we certainly need 2. I'd like Maguire (English, physical, a leader and wouldn't need adjusting to the English league), and Milenkovic (young, huge and Mourinho seems to have scouted him). Although any 2 from Maguire, Milenkovic, Skriniar, De Ligt, Koulibaly would be perfect.