Centre Back... Who do we go for?

Sanche7

So there's a story about Barca being ready to cash in on Umtiti. Apparently to free up cash for De Ligt. I understand he's recovered from his injury. A young, world class left footed CB that won't break the bank like Koulibaly. Highly interesting...

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footba...y-target-umtiti-told-he-can-leave_353293.html
Umtiti is a bit meh is the air IIRC plus he's coming off a big injury.

Also Toby makes sense only if we are signing him as our second CB signing after selling Rojo and Bailly. Although he'll be available for 25 mill, I'm sure there will be huge signing bonus, agent fees involved, not to mention hell be asking for 150-200k per week. All things considered he won't be a great buy.

The dream would be Koulibaly + De Ligt but we all know that ain't happening. Wouldn't actually mind Koulibaly plus a young highly rated CB like Anderson. But I can see why we could go for an experienced CB

settembrini

Umtiti would have been perfect before his injuries, they have been severe this season and if Barcelona are looking to get rid that should tell you what they think about the state of his knee.

Alderweireld is 30 and already doesn't seem quite as good a player as he did a season or two ago. Plus he's yet another 'right side only' centre back which is the opposite of what we need.

I would much prefer us to think about who could be a good partner to our existing CBs rather than 'what big name CB is available'. Players like Ake or Romagnoli would compliment our existing options really well. Either of them would be great as the left sided CB alongside Lindelof in games where we want to dominate possession and attack a lot or alongside Smalling when we need to focus on defending.

cathari

Having seen a couple of "Sanchez / Bale swap" stories, starting to wonder whether a swap could be done for Varane?
Find it very unlikely that Real would let Varane leave at all, but maybe the Italian clubs are up for a swap deal, with some cash in it? One or two of Romagnoli, Skriniar and Koulibaly for cash and one of Bailly and Rojo?

Very hopeful thinking here :angel:

sam147

Rumors are we should be ousting 2 CBs in Rojo & Bailly. Ideally we replace them with Koulibaly & De Ligt. But that's just too good to be true.

Think a duo of Andersen and Maguire (as much as I can't stand his slabface) will be a partnership that has all bases covered:
- long passes that break the lines
- high pass completion
- capable of dribbling out of defence a little
- super strong in the air, set-piece threat
- young
- one Englishman for quota
- both look like leaders
Andersen and Maguire? Both turtles. Maguire is average defensively and only rated because he headed the ball a few times in the world cup. Everton level defender. Andersen is not much better. De ligt or Koulibaly are far superior.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Andersen and Maguire? Both turtles. Maguire is average defensively and only rated because he headed the ball a few times in the world cup. Everton level defender. Andersen is not much better. De ligt or Koulibaly are far superior.
:lol:

I have literally no idea what that means.

Jib

Alderweireld would be like signing Sanchez again. Even if we got him for free his wages would be big and he would barely improve us, if at all, and in the very short term before he declines further. 26m is a robbery imo, Juventus can have him.
Agreed

Patrick08

De ligt plays on the right? Isn't it? We kind of need option for the left side of defense.

sam147

:lol:

I have literally no idea what that means.
Slow as turtles. Which they both are. We play a high line and Maguire would be exposed. He is already average defensively and would look even worse.

settembrini

De ligt plays on the right? Isn't it? We kind of need option for the left side of defense.
De ligt is comfortable as the left CB, he played there for Ajax until they signed Blind and then he moved across to the other side.

Timo.utd

Nikola Milenkovic was playing fantastic,but i'm not sure about his current form, it's been awhile since i've seen him play. Gianluca Mancini is one to keep an eye aswell.

I rate nathan ake but i guess the pricetag would be ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canagel

just pay the money for koulibaly and be done with it. liverpool payed the money for vvd and they're the same age. we need to stop the penny pinching and pay what it takes to get the best. 4/5 years of Koulibaly is very reasonable .

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
If we fail to get either Koulibaly/De Ligt, could any one of these guys cut it at United?

BuLi
  1. Diallo
  2. Kempf
  3. Brooks
  4. Orban
Serie A
  1. Izzo
  2. Pezzella
La Liga
  1. Alvarez
Ligue 1
  1. Herelle
  2. Djiku

cathari

If we fail to get either Koulibaly/De Ligt, could any one of these guys cut it at United?

BuLi
  1. Diallo
  2. Kempf
  3. Brooks
  4. Orban
Serie A
  1. Izzo
  2. Pezzella
La Liga
  1. Alvarez
Ligue 1
  1. Herelle
  2. Djiku
I’d go for Aké over those.

You forgot Skriniar in your opening scenario btw.

nainaisson

I don't understand what people have against Alderweireld. We'll be a building-out-from-the-back machine with a CB duo of him and Lindelof. As long as he isn't asking for ridiculous wages and a really long contract, he'd be a steal at £26m.

I'm willing to concede that Smalling, on his day, is possibly better at defending, but it's not like we spend most of the game defending like Huddersfield. On the ball, it's hard to think of anyone worse than Smalling.

GwilDor

I think most people underestimate the leadership quality we lack in our current squad. I’ll gladly concede i don’t know enough about Koulibaly, Skriniar and the likes to judge them.
But what our current crop of defenders+keeper lack is leadership. A Rio to steady the ship, or a VCD if you like. I don’t care as much about other qualities. Those are easier to find and replace.
We need a leader. Even at his young age that screams of De Ligt in my opinion.
Hopefully we can come out on top vs Juve and Barca!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think most people underestimate the leadership quality we lack in our current squad. I’ll gladly concede i don’t know enough about Koulibaly, Skriniar and the likes to judge them.
But what our current crop of defenders+keeper lack is leadership. A Rio to steady the ship, or a VCD if you like. I don’t care as much about other qualities. Those are easier to find and replace.
I couldn't agree more. There is absolutely no leadership at the back. And we see quite obviously how it makes all the difference since VVD joined the scousers.

Did Ole say something on record that caused those reports that he's not signing anybody there and rely on what he's got?

Devil may care

Alderweireld hasn't got the pace or aerial capabilities to partner Lindelof, you have to look for partnerships that compliment each other, Alderweireld is basically a more experienced version of Lindelof.

Stacks

I couldn't agree more. There is absolutely no leadership at the back. And we see quite obviously how it makes all the difference since VVD joined the scousers.

Did Ole say something on record that caused those reports that he's not signing anybody there and rely on what he's got?
People overestimate. Laporte and Stones start for City

UpWithRivers

We should get 2-

Sell
Darmian - 15
Rojo- 15
Then one of Bailly or Jones- id sell jones due to age/injury record - 20

Buy
Koulibay-100
Alderweild-25

Total spend-75

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I have a bad feeling that Ole is happy what we have now. Smalling and Lindelof as first choice and Jones as first backup.
It will be disaster if we don't buy top defender

J_XO

I have a bad feeling that Ole is happy what we have now. Smalling and Lindelof as first choice and Jones as first backup.
Yep. Jones' new contract turned my head. It seems like we won't go big for a CB even though it's an obvious gap. Soon we'll hear that Ole is willing to give our current CB's the opportunity to prove themselves. Absolute nightmare. I also keep seeing that we want to sell Bailly which makes me think we will look for a replacement but he hardly plays anyway. Jones and Rojo should be the first out the door.

ravi2

Ole cannot be happy with that, then again SAF's blind spot was the CM... maybe Ole's blind spot is the CB

I doubt it but if that is really the case then we are fecked.

MrHozl

Milan Skriniar fits the profile perfectly. Leader on the pitch, under 26 and would class. Splash the cash on him!

Lmarco

L'Equipe sources saying that Varane is apparently thinking about his future, doing as usual in his very quiet planned life, thinking everything thoroughly after 8 years and 14 titles there and having not been allowed to have a real break after the WC. He's supposedly wondering if it would not be good for him to get a new challenge, more competition and putting himself in danger elsewhere. Man Utd said to still follow him very closely.

iKnowNothing

Can say that for most Real players. He’s turning 26, great time to sign him.
L'Equipe sources saying that Varane is apparently thinking about his future, doing as usual in his very quiet planned life, thinking everything thoroughly after 8 years and 14 titles there and having not been allowed to have a real break after the WC. He's supposedly wondering if it would not be good for him to get a new challenge, more competition and putting himself in danger elsewhere. Man Utd said to still follow him very closely.

How long does he have on his contract? Plus isn't he one of Zidane's favorites? Real Madrid will want a whole lot of money for him.

And whats the bits in bold all about? Is he planning to move to Liverpool?:nervous:

PeteManic

Marca (Real Madrid newspaper) are reporting today that Varane "va en serio" (is seriously going).

If it is true, he can only be going to PSG. But United should spend all the budget on him and play him Sanchez wages.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If Varane rumours are valid, we should do everything to sign him.
But i guess that is classic "i want new contract" situation

United Pro

Marca (Real Madrid newspaper) are reporting today that Varane "va en serio" (is seriously going).

If it is true, he can only be going to PSG. But United should spend all the budget on him and play him Sanchez wages.
If he has decided to leave, I hope we go for him. Absolutely cracking centre back. Only slight weakness I can see is ability on the ball, but he's still miles ahead of Smalling.

meninred

It seems that most agree with the need for a proper center back to partner Bailly in the future. With Lindelöf still being young and not quite ready yet, Smalling/Jones just not good enough and Rojo too inconsistent, it wouldn’t be a big surprise if United spend a decent amount to bring in a new center back in the summer.

Who do we go for?

Some candidates:
David Luiz
Sokratis Papastathopoulos
Kamil Glik
Kostas Manolas
Kalidou Koulibaly
Samuel Umtiti
Ezequiel Garay
José Giménez
Mateo Musacchio
Ömer Toprak
Stefan De Vrij
Jonathan Tah
Eric Dier
Daniele Rugani
Matthijs De Ligt
Lucas Hernández
Alessio Romagnoli
Harry Maguire
Milan Škriniar

I don’t watch that much football outside the Premier League, but from what I know, my personal preference would be Manolas or Koulibaly (if top tier players like Boateng aren’t available)

@Damien or any other modmin, a poll with some of the main candidates would be greatly appreciated.
I dont think any central defender in this world is left out.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Could Nico Elvedi be the answer?

Surprised there's no compilation video on him on YT. Guess he's only sprung up this season perhaps. But what a season he's having though - got some pretty solid stats. Anyone familiar with the BuLi on here?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We got Phil Jones on a new contract so we'll play merry go-round at centre back for a few more seasons.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good old Daily Star.

08:31KEY EVENT
Solskjaer 'gives green light' to Maguire deal
United are confident of landing Harry Maguire in a £65million transfer this summer, according to reports.

It is claimed by the Daily Star that OIe Gunnar Solskjaer wants to build his defence around the England centre-back.

United were interested in signing Maguire last summer but he ended up staying at Leicester having only joined the club from Hull a year earlier.