Champions League — quarter-finals and semi-finals draw

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Mbappe best player in the world? I'm not certain he'd be the best player at City, Liverpool or Arsenal.
Liverpool, Man Utd and Real Madrid will suit his strength a lot better than City and Arsenal just due to tactics.

Jordan_mufc

Irony?
If not, isn't that exactly what refs are there for? After all, arbitre (French) means referee. So refs do officiate arbitrarily, literally.
Referees are there to apply the rules of football to the best of their ability.

You cannot decide to not punish a handball based on what you believe to be a "kids error".

Using an extreme as an example, if a ball was lofted in the air, Gabriel was all alone and catches the ball cos he thought he heard a whistle. Do you think the ref should have the option to not call it as a penalty?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: Nani?

Haven't you been cooing about Mbappe for years? You don't want him anymore?
Dude, i've been miserable about us signing for a year now. He's the best player in the world, he's a special player, and as far as I'm concerned nothing short of him PAYING US for the privilege of playing for us should be enough to sign him. He made his bed in 2022, he can fecking well live in that now

And I'd take Klopp over prime Messi tbh. The truly special managers nowadays have a bigger impact than even the likes of Messi. Plus our team is great as it is and doesn't need another star, just better organization

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Dude, i've been miserable about us signing for a year now. He's the best player in the world, he's a special player, and as far as I'm concerned nothing short of him PAYING US for the privilege of playing for us should be enough to sign him. He made his bed in 2022, he can fecking well live in that now

And I'd take Klopp over prime Messi tbh. The truly special managers nowadays have a bigger impact than even the likes of Messi. Plus our team is great as it is and doesn't need another star, just better organization
100% agree.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
PD: Donnarumma still lives on his prestige? dunno, but he is and was one of the major reasons of why PSG sometimes didn't grab a good result in CLs all of these years.
He's one of the very best shot stoppers in the world. He has flaws, and those have often been highlighted in CL games, where admittedly he's made a number of mistakes
Mbappe is the worst "best player in the world" I've ever seen.
You must be very young

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Your team needs a quality focal point up front, Mbappe isn't that type of player

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

You cannot decide to not punish a handball based on what you believe to be a "kids error".

Using an extreme as an example, if a ball was lofted in the air, Gabriel was all alone and catches the ball cos he thought he heard a whistle. Do you think the ref should have the option to not call it as a penalty?
The irony with the "kid's mistake" excuse for not giving the penalty is that it's exactly the sort of thing that would be punished in kid's (or even Sunday league) football.

Foul throws, as an example, are absolutely rife in the professional game. Embarrassingly so at times. They are always called in kid's and amateur football.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Except in this instance he absolutely can. Whistles to restart play aren't some magically binding absolute thing. Refs walk those back all the fecking time. The only notable thing about this instance is the reason for it

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Except in this instance he absolutely can. Whistles to restart play aren't some magically binding absolute thing.
They are after substitutions.
The ref is there to apply the rules. According to the rules it's a blatant penalty.

The referee isn't there to correct brain farts of players.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Where would he even play? Surely Klopp is too old to start for Madrid now
The Ref's committee. We get him to smile at them and use the resulting blindness to ensure we alwaus get Roncero to ref our games

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
He's one of the very best shot stoppers in the world. He has flaws, and those have often been highlighted in CL games, where admittedly he's made a number of mistakes

You must be very young
Trust me I watched him two entire seasons, he lacks a lot of concepts that he sometimes save with his shot stopper ability and size.Too many huge mistakes for my taste, even bloopers in CL's too.
If it was a phase, it woudln't be that much of a problem, every keeper has them, but in his case he is consistently crap in his positioning, specially in centres or dead ball situations, with his size he should be a commanding presence in his area and he is the entire opossite.
Now just in a more personal note, another thing that bothers me is that he is too much full of himself in a very bad way.
Keppers are looneys, they tend to be arrogant, but this kid is contantly blaming his mates for his errors in a very silly way and if I were a defender with him, not only I woudln't trust him, but I would even hate him with such attitude.

BorisManUtd

Interesting games in these 2 days. Hopefully Real Madrid, Bayern and Barca go through. Don't care much about who goes through between Atletico and Dortmund.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft

You must be very young
Old enough to remember Ronaldinho being the best in the world! And Mbappe couldn't lace his boots. I hate to feel like I'm turning into a jaded old bastard but I can easily see myself spending a lot of the next 10 years going on about Messi and Ronaldo at the next few Ballon D'or winners if the calibre is going to be the likes of Mbappe and Haaland..

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They are after substitutions.
They are not. If the goal kick was taken ahead of the line he'd made them repeat it, too. It is entirely at his discretion to decide whether play has resumed correctly or not

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Actually there’s a rule that the ref doesn’t have to apply the rules in question if he deems it to be inappropriate. In this case he judged it that it would have been unfair to award a penalty for the error. So the ref applied the rules correctly, even if you’re entitled to disagree with the refs interpretation. The one on Saka was a stonewall penalty imo, that one was an error imo.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool

Indeed you need a better organization, but with Madrid playing fast break, Mbappe is a dream for such style.

PD: the last match there were lots of situations (for both teams) that got me thinking if that ball has fallen on "Messi/R9/Henry/RG" it was more than probably ending in the end of the net. For moments there were lots of space (not necessarily without defenders, but those being pretty alone in one on one situations) for players of such characteristics

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Old enough to remember Ronaldinho being the best in the world! And Mbappe couldn't lace his boots. I hate to feel like I'm turning into a jaded old bastard but I can easily see myself spending a lot of the next 10 years going on about Messi and Ronaldo at the next few Ballon D'or winners if the calibre is going to be the likes of Mbappe and Haaland..
Messi and Ronaldo was some lightning in a bottle stuff. We ain’t getting anything close anytime soon.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

I can't keep up!

Yeah, managers of elite calibre are like gold dust these days, so that's understandable.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
We are in the middle of a generational transition.
Also in every period some roles are more predominant than others.
Killian and Halland are generational talents, how their carreers will end, we don't know, but they are special in their own way.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Messi and Ronaldo was some lightning in a bottle stuff. We ain’t getting anything close anytime soon.
There was a line of thinking that "this is sports science more than the two of them being utterly incredible. Future Ballon D'or winners will score just like they do and put up seasons like them regularly and we won't think it was so incredible" and that line of thinking has proven to be completely false. They were both incredible. It will be a long time before we see their like again.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Old enough to remember Ronaldinho being the best in the world!
When you think about it, Dinho had an insane 2 year peak, and outside of that he was comfortably worse than Mbappé

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Mbappe's performances at club level leaves quite a bit to be desired, compared to his performances for France.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
I can't see Klopp at Madrid.

Just doesn't seem like a RM manager.
He can easily be a Madrid coach. He has the personality and the attacking style, plus Madrid in the past had lots of diff personalities as coaches being successful.
The thing I guess you are thinking he is not, it's his utilitarian approach regarding certain players. But remember that Madrid not always was all about "The Galacticos", in their veins there is a quote of similar taste of Aleti's fierce character and furia. Klopp with his relentless attacking mindset and fast break transitions could be perfect.
The only scenario I imagine he would fail is if he doesn't get results soon bringing too many of his players.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Mbappe's performances at club level leaves quite a bit to be desired, compared to his performances for France.
That notion is more related to him be in the French League than anything else. I trully believe that people goes way over the top with the whole differences between leagues to measure a players quality.
Also not winning the CLs in his case, like it was with City, like it was with the Dutch NT with the WC, more a case of just bad timing and lack of experience than anything. Sometimes it's not meant to be.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
When you think about it, Dinho had an insane 2 year peak, and outside of that he was comfortably worse than Mbappé
Dinho as a whole had a lot better carreer than we give credit for.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Mbappe's real problem is that he needs an immediate change of scenery. He has been at a club he doesn't want to be at for at least two years now and has lost the activation that a player of his stature should have when competing for the most prestigious trophies.

Klopp? Yes, organization is vital, but if there's one thing I know, it's that this guy doesn't throw the ball to the goalkeeper when he stands alone in front of him.

Rojofiam

He can easily be a Madrid coach. He has the personality and the attacking style, plus Madrid in the past had lots of diff personalities as coaches being successful.
The thing I guess you are thinking he is not, it's his utilitarian approach regarding certain players. But remember that Madrid not always was all about "The Galacticos", in their veins there is a quote of similar taste of Aleti's fierce character and furia. Klopp with his relentless attacking mindset and fast break transitions could be perfect.
The only scenario I imagine he would fail is if he doesn't get results soon bringing too many of his players.
I don't see him going to the best team in a league where his team already has an enourmous advantage over every other club bar 1, and anyways, what history is there to be written at Madrid? They've just had a period of winning 5 CLs in 8 years, and they don't give a shit about La Liga.

He wouldn't have to build anything there, just continue having successful years. That's the whole culture of Real Madrid. Winning, no matter what, and they've been winning for a decade now.

Klopp doesn't strike me as someone who would be interested in that. I think it would be a soulless project for him. I can see him at the likes of AC Milan, Atlético Madrid, or going back to Dortmund. Or the national team. Not at some overpowered winning machine that doesn't even need rebuilding.

It's also why I don't understand why Mbappe wants to go there so bad.

I wish football was more similar to the NBA where joining already stacked franchises will get you criticised, not applauded.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Apparently he was one of their better players but I only watched the final 10 mins of that game, so I can't really say.

I didn't watch the game and he did very well as per the highlight.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
When was the last time with 4 really exciting QF games? I loved it.