Champions League 6th Round

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Totally uninteresting night. A couple of fights for the Europa League spot, the only CL place in dispute is between Copenhagen and Rubin Kazan. I'm watching Benfica - Schalke.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Group A is dead. It's only a matter of who wins the group and I don't care about that.

Group B is also pretty much finished. Schalke are through and Lyon won't have a problem beating Hapoel.

Group C. We won't lose. Therefor we are winners.

Group D. I hope FCK win their game. Barcelona losing at home? No way. So FCK are pretty much through as well. No one wants to see Rubin through anyways. Their games average less than 1 goal per game.

So all in all an uninteresting evening and one I won't be following closely.

Snow

Totally uninteresting night. A couple of fights for the Europa League spot, the only CL place in dispute is between Copenhagen and Rubin Kazan. I'm watching Benfica - Schalke.
Thing is there isn't even a fight for 3rd. Only fight is if Hapoel beat Lyon away and that Benfica don't win Schalke.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Thing is there isn't even a fight for 3rd. Only fight is if Hapoel beat Lyon away and that Benfica don't win Schalke.
True.

Well, Schalke is doing their part, now let me hope for a miracle from Hapoel in Lyon :D

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Hapoel winning in Lyon :D

Arruda

Supports
Porto
What's in it for you? Benfica not making Europa?
Yep, just the fun factor of it. Ridiculous them not making it to the Europa League on this group, :lol:

EDIT: But they're gonna make it, bloody Lyon makes it 2-2

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Well done Rafa :lol:

wr8_utd

:'(
Spurs have set a record. They've scored 2 or more goals in every game in the group stages :eek:

KM

Spurs have set a record. They've scored 2 or more goals in every game in the group stages :eek:
They've been brilliant, such a shame that their matches have fallen on the same match day as us, matches involving Spurs guarantee entertainment.

wr8_utd

They can't be conceding goals like that in the Champions League, they are in for a rude awakening in the knockout stages
True that. But they concede most of their goals away. Their relatively better defensively at home. I can maybe even see them getting through on away goals till the quarters.

KM

They can't be conceding goals like that in the Champions League, they are in for a rude awakening in the knockout stages
tbf, ever since last season people have been predicting Spurs to fail. Majority thought that they won't qualify for Champions League, than many thought they would qualify out of their group when their group was announced, I'm not saying they're gonna do well in the knockout stages, but they have so far defied the critics in some style.

The_Midfielder

True that. But they concede most of their goals away. Their relatively better defensively at home. I can maybe even see them getting through on away goals till the quarters.
Depends on whom they get...
if they get the current champions... OHH wait :lol:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Spurs won their group. It pains me to say it but that is a fanstastic acheivement. Kudos to the wheeler dealer.

Would be annoying to get Inter in the next round. As bad a job as Benitez is doing there, they are the Champions and have some fantastic players.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
We've scored 24 goals in our 8 games in the CL campaign so far, if you include the Young Boys matches: an average of 3 goals per game.

The average of 3 goals scored remains even if you exclude the YB games.

But best of all, we top the group!!

Our possible opponents in the next round include Lyon, Valencia, FC Copenhagen, Roma, Marseille and AC Milan. We'll stand a decent chance against any of these.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Only one interesting thing.... THAT FECKIN OVERHEADKICK BY HAPOEL TEL AVIV!!!!! What a goal.. unbelievable.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Spurs have also conceeded 11 goals in the group stage, just under 2 per game. Far too many, and god help them if they come up against a good attacking outfit.

That said, they will score goals, and they're excellent to watch. They'll get to the quarter finals but then they're naivety will shine through.

wr8_utd

Not quite Champions League but Leyton Orient have gone mad.

89' [2 - 2] J. Tehoue

90' B. Chorley Red Card

93' [3 - 2] P. MPoku

94' L. Roche Red Card

97' [4 - 2] S. McGleish

99' [5 - 2] J. Tehoue

107' [6 - 2] J. Tehoue

5 goals and 2 red cards in 17 minutes of extra time :lol:

alastair

ignorant
Not quite Champions League but Leyton Orient have gone mad.

89' [2 - 2] J. Tehoue

90' B. Chorley Red Card

93' [3 - 2] P. MPoku

94' L. Roche Red Card

97' [4 - 2] S. McGleish

99' [5 - 2] J. Tehoue

107' [6 - 2] J. Tehoue

5 goals and 2 red cards in 17 minutes of extra time :lol:

Ended 8-2 - what a game :lol:

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Spurs have also conceeded 11 goals in the group stage, just under 2 per game. Far too many, and god help them if they come up against a good attacking outfit.

That said, they will score goals, and they're excellent to watch. They'll get to the quarter finals but then they're naivety will shine through.
Michael Dawson is due back though, i'm not saying he'll completely shore up the defense but i'd imagine he'll improve them a bit.

They are a good side to watch, they play good football & seem to have a never say die attitude. Tough opponents at White Heart Lane for who ever gets them.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Spurs have also conceeded 11 goals in the group stage, just under 2 per game. ...
Some of that is an accepted risk of setting out to play such attacking football. It places far more pressure on the Spurs defence: it's obviously much easier to concede less if you sit back and pack the defence.

On the plus side, defensively speaking, Dawson is now back, King should be able to play at least some games and even Woodgate is at last apparently doing well and on course for a return in January. So you never know ... maybe we'll continue to score a lot and concede fewer.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

1/4's would be an excellent achievment for them. They have been nothing but entertaining

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Some of that is an accepted risk of setting out to play such attacking football. It places far more pressure on the Spurs defence: it's obviously much easier to concede less if you sit back and pack the defence.

On the plus side, defensively speaking, Dawson is now back, King should be able to play at least some games and even Woodgate is at last apparently doing well and on course for a return in January. So you never know ... maybe we'll continue to score a lot and concede fewer.
Or you could argue you have to attack as you do because your defence isn't good enough to withstand long spells of pressure, it will crumble and Gomes will make mistakes. You've done excellent finishing top of the group in your first CL campaign, but make no mistakes, Bremen are a poor team, Inter are nowhere near their level last year and Twente are an average team also. You can't go gung-ho in Europe and expect to win the competition, or advance towards the latter stages.

Thing is, the longer you stay in this competition the less chance you'll have of finishing top 4 this season. You're already 3 points behind City and by all accounts they've not been playing very well at all.

Dawson is a good defender but he doesn't have the quality required to take Spurs to the next level, and relying on King and Woodgate to shore up your defence just about says it all.

Snow

Not really. It's been like 3 games in the PL where they haven't conceded first. Their gates are wide open. Not scoring against Tottenham is a bad game.

Snow

Didn't see the game tonight but saw the stats. If going by them you didn't miss you chances and didn't attack very much. Yet scored three and conceded three?