Champions League & Europa League Semi Final Draw

Blackwidow

I see, I hope to see entertaining matches anyway.It should be a spectacle of football, the reason why I asked if Bayern could do it is the fact that the return leg is the Camp Nou.Bayern has to win the first leg
Should not matter. Might even be better like this. Bayern does not have problems away with top teams.

And let's say it like this - the 0:4 in Barcelona four years ago was with a back line with Oddo - Demichelis - Breno - Lell.... :cool: and with a coach whose main invention was to put buddha statues up onto the building - only Ribery and Schweinsteiger are left of the team that played there.

Blackwidow

Bayern may not have a pb playing away from home but Barca sure plays a lot better at home and with Messi fit.
Sure. But they do that no matter if it is the first or the second match. Bayern in the last 3/4 years fared better with the second leg away.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
FFS, was hoping for a Bayern v Madrid, Dortmund v Barca semi, and a all German final, with Dortmund going all the way :(

Order of preference:
Dortmund
Bayern
Barca
Madrid

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Sure. But they do that no matter if it is the first or the second match. Bayern in the last 3/4 years fared better with the second leg away.
That's the thing though, it does matter for one team.It sure will be interesting, hoping for a German final tbh. I'm tired of the classicos

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I agree, especially against the top teams. We lost the second leg at home to Inter in 2011 and Arsenal this year while going through in the second leg away at Madrid last year, at United in 2010, this year at Juventus. If Barca continues to struggle away from home Bayern could go in the second leg with a home win, which probably helps a lot. Going to Barca in the first leg when they can start playing their own game without any tactical advantages/disadvantages sounds way more dangerous and the tie could be over after one game. I don't mind playing Barca now, they looked incredibly strong in the finals and almost impossible to beat in one decisive game. Let's make the best of their weakness in away games and then let's see what happens in Barcelona.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Why would Ruud want to be involved in manipulating the draw? Or is some Jedi Knight working for UEFA and messing with Ruuds fingers without him noticing?

Jaap

Bayern missing main striker Mandzukic will have a big impact on the first leg. He's such a hard worker and did a great job on Pirlo in the quarter-final. Gomez or Pizarro are just not as good as the Croatian at that.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Guardiola is not coming to the games and won't talk to the press the next weeks. Good to know. I really like that he stays completely away from the whole football business.

Blackwidow

Mandzukic for Bayern. No idea about the other teams.
Adriano for Barcelona

Arbeloa for Real

Mandzukic for Bayern

None for Dortmund

---------------

Dortmund will play Bayern at May 4th. I am sure nobody really cares about that result...

---------------

Gomez ist faster and maybe more adapt for counter attacking. Whereas Pizarro is a smart experienced devil and is great technically.

Gomez could even match better in that match than Mandzu - but he lacks self confidence lately and somehow just seems not too match very good to the others. They just somehow are not really used to play with him anymore...

Ludens the Red

Im serious, do you really think it might be rigged?

I dont
It's not beyond them, there's been a lot of mysteriously convenient draws down the years. Platini might have fallen out with Blatter but he'd have learnt a lot from the master of the dark arts.

The last 2 English opponents Basel faced did not look good at the end...

They seem to like English teams... :cool:
Ourselves and Spurs both made them look better than they were. The surprise element is gone.

An Irish Red

Chelsea really should win the europa from here. With them sacrificing the league and resting players there really would be no excuse for them not to win it.

I hope Dortmund win the champions league, with Barca being my second choice. In reality though, if it's not Dortmund then I just hope it's not Madrid.

Jaap

Hopefully we will see a Dortmund v Barcelona final in Wembley on May 25th.

I don't think Bayern's defense will cope with Barcelona's attack - domestically, they have been incredible - in the Champions League, however, they have conceded 10 goals in as many games.

Dortmund made Madrid look quite ordinary when the sides met back in October last year. They probably underestimated Dortmund, took them too lightly. Mourinho won't make that mistake again and will prepare his team as well as he can.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Madrid weren't in the best of form in October.

Reminds me of how Inter defeated Barcelona in the semis after being schooled in the group stage.
Very true.The group stages are one thing and a CL semi is entirely different.Experience will be Dortmund's main weakness

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think bayern can beat Barca but they'll miss kroos who has been huge for them but is injured. This season they've looked the better side as well, so as long as they're up for it, I think it'll be an even game.
Dortmund have done great to get this far and did get the better of Madrid in the group stage, but I don't think they are quite as good as Madrid just yet, and although it should be two great games and I hope they go through, I don't think they will.
Feel like it will be a Madrid vs bayern final, with bayern winning it all this year. To be honest I'd be fine with anyone apart from Barcelona winning it, and any final combination should be a great game.
My hopes to win it: Dortmund, then bayern, then Madrid, and then Barca way behind in last.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Madrid weren't in the best of form in October.

Reminds me of how Inter defeated Barcelona in the semis after being schooled in the group stage.
Inter in 2010 played great football in every game in the knockout stages. Real didn't look better against United or Galatasaray compared to October, I don't think anything has changed at Real. I think they'll go through because Dortmund is way too wasteful but not because Mourinho makes smart tactical changes. He was outsmarted in the CL by Heynckes last year, by Ferguson and Klopp this year. Besides establishing a great counterattacking system that works well against Barca he hasn't brought much to Real, imo. They should play way better football with the players available. But who cares if they win the CL this year which is very likely.

Blackwidow

Think bayern can beat Barca but they'll miss kroos who has been huge for them but is injured. This season they've looked the better side as well, so as long as they're up for it, I think it'll be an even game.
Dortmund have done great to get this far and did get the better of Madrid in the group stage, but I don't think they are quite as good as Madrid just yet, and although it should be two great games and I hope they go through, I don't think they will.
Feel like it will be a Madrid vs bayern final, with bayern winning it all this year. To be honest I'd be fine with anyone apart from Barcelona winning it, and any final combination should be a great game.
My hopes to win it: Dortmund, then bayern, then Madrid, and then Barca way behind in last.
Against Barca you will not win holding the ball in midfield - so Kroos ain't the one to miss. Against Barca you win with winning the ball and go for goal as fast as possible. Against Real or Dortmund it could be different - but you will not win against Barca imitating Barca...

Jaap

Bayern's lack of experience against teams, that do not tend to sit deep against them and try to hit them on the counter, will prove costly, IMO.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Bayern's lack of experience against teams, that do not tend to sit deep against them and try to hit them on the counter, will prove costly, IMO.
There are also question marks about whether they can get to that next step and win and be a dominant force over many years.

Same as the German national side really. People rave about them in tournaments and rightly so, but they've both fallen at the last fence many times in recent years, just when you think they are going to do it.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
There were several teams that tried to attack against Bayern in the last years. Bayern played all the european top teams over the last 3 years, including United, City, Real, Juventus and Dortmund. Do you really think that none of those teams ever tried to attack? Most of the players played Spain with their nationalteams as well, have lots of experience against great pressing thanks to Dortmund. Bayern haven't faced Barca, didn't have to defend against someone like Messi, that's true. But I'm pretty sure Barca never faced a team with comparable abilities to Bayern's either. I don't think it will be because of inexperience if Barca wins.

Inspectah deck

There were several teams that tried to attack against Bayern in the last years. Bayern played all the european top teams over the last 3 years, including United, City, Real, Juventus and Dortmund. Do you really think that none of those teams ever tried to attack? Most of the players played Spain with their nationalteams as well, have lots of experience against great pressing thanks to Dortmund. Bayern haven't faced Barca, didn't have to defend against someone like Messi, that's true. But I'm pretty sure Barca never faced a team with comparable abilities to Bayern's either. I don't think it will be because of inexperience if Barca wins.
I'm not sure the current Bayern team is any better than the United team of 07-09 that Barca faced to be fair. Infact, up until that game in May, that United team was the best team in the world.
Playing against the United team, the Chelsea team of the same period, the inter team e.t.c, I would say they have more experience of playing against the very best than Bayern.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm not sure the current Bayern team is any better than the United team of 07-09 that Barca faced to be fair. Infact, up until that game in May, that United team was the best team in the world.
Playing against the United team, the Chelsea team of the same period, the inter team e.t.c, I would say they have more experience of playing against the very best than Bayern.
I wasn't talking about "better". Bayern now has totally different qualities than Inter 2010 or United 2007-09 and should play Barca in a different way, imo. Bayern can't defend deep like United in 2008 or Inter in 2010.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yes. Except the last time they met.

Real never win away to Bayern. At home is another story. They've never met at a neutral venue.
Bayern - Real as a final would be great. It's long overdue. It's the most played european tie in the history of the tournament, Real has been to 12 CL finals, Bayern to 9 (that's 21 out of 57 finals), but they never met in the final. About time.