Champions League & Europa League Semi Final Draw

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm saying that in each knockout round, the got the weakest team. In the Round of 16, they were group runner ups so they were going to have to face a group winner. From there, objectively, easiest in both QFs and SFs - unless you disagree

Also, worth noting that my initial response was more tongue in cheek to the previous poster
They could have easily drawn Schalke or Paris in the Ro16, which would have both been easier ties than United. Gala was probably weakest team in the quarters and Dortmund is on paper the least impressive squad in the semis.

This does not change the fact, that the latter is, despite having shaky performances like any other semi finalist, the only undefeated team left in the competition and has won every game on their own pitch.

Dortmund has also a special status amongst the final four: Zero pressure.

Barca simply for being Barca are expected by a lot of people to win the whole thing. Bayern want redemption for last year and invested a lot to make that happen. Real finally want to win the competition after a decade long dry spell.

Dortmund? For them it is already a huge success to reach the semis, having gone beyond the expectations of pretty much everybody so far. Nobody sane will blame them for going out now, because the competition is not the financially struggling Malaga, but the absolute giants of European football. Teams with double or even triple higher wage bills and single player, who cost more than their whole starting starting XI put together.

Klopp´s strategy for going into the games will be the easiest of all coaches. He will simply tell his players one thing: have fun and enjoy it. They have nothing to lose and everything to win. For a team, which draws so much strength from passion, teamwork and witty playfulness, these circumstances are the best possible and make a very dangerous combination. Because even though they have the least big names, they still have players of absolute quality like Götze, Reus, Gündogan, Lewandowski or Hummels. Players, that can on a good day make any team in the world stumble.

They also come from a game, where they basically performed a miracle, which will give them a "never give up" mentalitiy. If they can turn around a match in the matter of two minutes, why can´t they repeat the performance against Real from the group stages?

You call Dortmund the easiest possible tie, for me it is the most dangerous.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I wasn't implying Dortmund are weak or that they cannot be dangerous but with the remaining sides left, for me, they are the weakest of the lot. Not sure you'd get too many arguments on that from most pundits

Jaap

@ Balu

It is not a weird theory, it is a fact! If Bayern had played Dortmund away from home in the first half of the season or in the cup instead of at home, they probably would have experienced a team attacking them.

Bayern's defense has been far from convincing in the CL - BATE Borisov ring any bells? Domestically, it has looked superb; in the CL, however, far from perfect.

Barcelona are known for their possession, regardless of who they play! A lot will depend on how Bayern are going to line up tactically.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Dortmund might be dangerous in the semi's but if they get to the final, they'll feel pressure.. I still think their inexperience will tell again.

Blackwidow

@ Balu

It is not a weird theory, it is a fact! If Bayern had played Dortmund away from home in the first half of the season or in the cup instead of at home, they probably would have experienced a team attacking them.

Bayern's defense has been far from convincing in the CL - BATE Borisov ring any bells? Domestically, it has looked superb; in the CL, however, far from perfect.

Barcelona are known for their possession, regardless of who they play! A lot will depend on how Bayern are going to line up tactically.
Do not look at the amount of goals against in the CL. Apart from that blip against BATE (and they only had 3 losses this year) there was only two critical goals. The 1:0 against 10 men in Valencia - but they countered that some minutes later with the 1:1. And maybe the 0:2 against Arsenal what made the next 10 minutes exciting.

I do not really think that a 1:2 or 1:4 in the last minute are somewhat telling much about the defense - or a 1:5 against Lille. They just tell that some of the players already have been in the dressing room.

Bayern has only lost one of the last 18 matches - no draw. 9 goals against. 7 of them in four consecutive matches in March - the next four matches again with clean sheets.

Until now Bayern only had one opponent this season - themselves - taking an opponent not really serious, lack of concentration, complacement.

The first match against Dortmund was at Munich - but that did not matter. Dortmund has 29 points at home, 29 points away - Bayern's away record is better than the home record. They are even more cautious away than they are at home.

In the first match against Dortmund at home it was much more important for Bayern not to loose than to win. They should not even have drawn it. Reus and Lewandowski were totally neutralized and that Weidenfeller was the best man on the pitch says a lot.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@ Balu

What's got Bate to do with any of your points? Do you seriously want to judge Bayern on a few CL group games 6month ago? Have you even seen the game vs Bate? It was all down to complacency and a midfield of Martinez and Gustavo that wasn't working at all. Schweinsteiger and Alaba were missing, Dante and Martinez still new in the team and Bate were extremely clinical on the counter. Nothing in that game is relevant for the games vs Barca.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The first match against Dortmund was at Munich - but that did not matter. Dortmund has 29 points at home, 29 points away - Bayern's away record is better than the home record. They are even more cautious away than they are at home.
Apart from the fact that Dortmund played one more game away than home at this point, this is a clear example of results not always telling the whole story.

Performancewise, Dortmund are clearly stronger at home this season, especially against the stronger sides. This can be seen in the CL (every home game won) and against the better teams in the league. They battered Gladbach and Freiburg and defeated Frankfurt and Leverkusen convincingly. The losses vs. Hamburg and Schalke (although on the back of five missing starters of Dortmund) were deserved, but the loss vs. Wolfsburg was massively influenced by extremely poor refereeing. Add to that the two unecessary draws vs. Düsseldorf and Stuttgart, where they were the clearly better side and the opposing goalie the best man (games they should have won according to your own logic) and you get such result as the one you pointed out.

Jaap

What's got Bate to do with any of your points? Do you seriously want to judge Bayern on a few CL group games 6month ago? Have you even seen the game vs Bate? It was all down to complacency and a midfield of Martinez and Gustavo that wasn't working at all. Schweinsteiger and Alaba were missing, Dante and Martinez still new in the team and Bate were extremely clinical on the counter. Nothing in that game is relevant for the games vs Barca.
Looking into (defensive) weaknesses of upcoming opponents is surely something that can be tried to be exploited, no?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Looking into (defensive) weaknesses of upcoming opponents is surely something that can be tried to be exploited, no?
Yeah, hopefully Barca take a good look at that game at Bate and try to find the weakness in Bayern's defense. Are you serious? Bayern won't play like they did vs Bate, not the same formation, not the same tactics and not on a similar low intensity.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Yeah, hopefully Barca take a good look at that game at Bate and try to find the weakness in Bayern's defense. Are you serious? Bayern won't play like they did vs Bate, not the same formation, not the same tactics and not on a similar low intensity.
Yeah I doubt very much that Barca does any pre game studies of their opponents :lol: They just seem to pitch up & play their way, every single time.

Anyway looking forward to a fascinating contest.

Blackwidow

I do not think it helps Barcelona to know that Bayern had defensive weaknesses at three counter attacks in Belaruss in October or at corners in March. Not when Bayern fields at least two 1,90 m players and a couple of that are around 1,85.

Or that they get problems when they go in a match in which they do not concentrate because they think they have won before the match.

Or that they catch easy goals when they already lead with a margin in the late minutes...

------------

I think that Barca are favourites because of Messi - but Bayern has very good chances.

But what I do not think why everybody think that Bayern would have any defensive problems. Every other team would be glad if it just would have that problems in that departmaent Bayern has...

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah I doubt very much that Barca does any pre game studies of their opponents :lol: They just seem to pitch up & play their way, every single time.

Anyway looking forward to a fascinating contest.
I didn't doubt they do. I just think the conclusion Bayern's defense is weak because Bate scored 3 goals when Bayern overall conceded only 23 goals in 43 games this season is bullshit. You'll find out more about Bayern's defense (strength and weakness) in the games they took 100% serious and not in CL group games where Bayern tried to go through without making an effort.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I didn't doubt they do. I just think the conclusion Bayern's defense is weak because Bate scored 3 goals when Bayern overall conceded only 23 goals in 43 games this season is bullshit. You'll find out more about Bayern's defense (strength and weakness) in the games they took 100% serious and not in CL group games where Bayern tried to go through without making an effort.
Yeah, absolutely. Games more recent (especially games in the UCL) will be of far more interest/relevance. 6 months is a long, long time in football. So I'd guess the BATE result would almost be forgotten.

But fwiw, I was serious re Barca's lack of pre match prep ;)

Inspectah deck

Yeah, absolutely. Games more recent (especially games in the UCL) will be of far more interest/relevance. 6 months is a long, long time in football. So I'd guess the BATE result would almost be forgotten.

Pep, by all accounts, was known a mad scientist when it came to tactics, particularly in the big games. You can't seriously believe any professional team, let alone one of the biggest in the sport do not study their opponents in the big games.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich

Oh :lol:

Well, I highly doubt that, at least since Vilanova is back. But yeah, they don't look as well prepared as they were with Guardiola in charge.

Blackwidow

Pep, by all accounts, was known a mad scientist when it came to tactics, particularly in the big games. You can't seriously believe any professional team, let alone one of the biggest in the sport do not study their opponents in the big games.
Yes - but see my post before.

It certainly does not help Barca when they know that they had problems at 3 counters after BATE parked the bus 6 months ago. Barca won't park the bus.

Or that they get slobby when they take opponents easy. Bayern will not take Barca easy.

Or that they stop concentrating when they already have the match in the bag and win with higher margins. First they do not want to get in that situation - and then in that match Bayern would not be.

Or that they had problems at corners - Barca just ain't not a usual thread on the corner as they miss the bigger player - especially with Puyol missing. I think Barca will try that Bayern does not get much.

Blackwidow

To take Whoscored:

Bayern Munich

+ Strengths
Very Strong Strong

Finishing scoring chances
Attacking down the wings
Creating chances through individual skill
Defending set pieces
Protecting the lead

Creating long shot opportunities
Creating chances using through balls
Counter attacks
Attacking set pieces
Creating scoring chances
Aerial duels

- Weaknesses
Very Weak Weak

Stopping opponents from creating chances

Avoiding offside

Bayern Munich Style

Possession football
Control the game in the opposition's half
Short passes
Attempt through balls often
Non-aggressive
Rotate their first eleven
Opponents play aggressively against them

FC Barcelona

+ Strengths
Very Strong Strong

Shooting from direct free kicks
Finishing scoring chances
Creating chances using through balls
Creating chances through individual skill
Attacking down the wings

Creating long shot opportunities
Coming back from losing positions
Defending set pieces

- Weaknesses

Avoiding offside
Protecting the lead
Stopping opponents from creating chances
Aerial duels

Barcelona Style

Possession football
Short passes
Control the game in the opposition's half
Attack through the middle
Attempt through balls often
Non-aggressive
Rotate their first eleven

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Oh :lol:

Well, I highly doubt that, at least since Vilanova is back. But yeah, they don't look as well prepared as they were with Guardiola in charge.
Come on gents, of course I know teams prepare meticulously at this level. I wouldn't expect less. I was more trying to emphasize that no matter what the other team does, Barca's going out with the same style/tactics...no matter what! I don't think I've ever seen them set up to combat another team's strengths & weaknesses.

I have a feeling Bayern will do'em. Barcas defence is highly suspect.

NoLogo

Come on gents, of course I know teams prepare meticulously at this level. I wouldn't expect less. I was more trying to emphasize that no matter what the other team does, Barca's going out with the same style/tactics...no matter what! I don't think I've ever seen them set up to combat another team's strengths & weaknesses.

I have a feeling Bayern will do'em. Barcas defence is highly suspect.
Well like people so often and rightfully point out for Barca there is no plan B, they play their brand of football and never deviate from it which also means they run into trouble if that doesn't work.

Blackwidow

Something for the muppet show. The U17s, Barca vs Bayern. The 8 at Bayern is Lucas Scholl - he already kicks set-pieces like his father Mehmet - the 6 is Gianluca Gaudino, the son of Maurizio Gaudino, a former VFB Stuttgart and Eintracht Frankfurt player (he got suspended by Jupp Heynckes during his Frankfurt time and then loaned to ManCity).

Pep material in 2 or 3 years :cool:

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The Scholl kid, you see much of him? Some similarities to his father? Mehmet was a terrific player at a time when you didn't really see that sort of flair from a German

Saw this

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I think that Barca are favourites because of Messi - but Bayern has very good chances.

But what I do not think why everybody think that Bayern would have any defensive problems. Every other team would be glad if it just would have that problems in that departmaent Bayern has...
Bayern are the favorites because Messi will not be fully fit in time.. Even if he starts and play the full 90 minutes in both games, he won't be the 100% Messi that Barcelona will need to beat Bayern..

Also, their coaching is a bit of a mess right now.. Nobody even knows who's in charge.. Add to that a depleted defence (which is bad enough when everybody is healthy), and the form Bayern are in at the moment (or have been in all season long actually), Bayern will have to be the favorites in this one..

It will be a Madrid-Bayern final.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Bayern are the favorites because Messi will not be fully fit in time.. Even if he starts and play the full 90 minutes in both games, he won't be the 100% Messi that Barcelona will need to beat Bayern..

Also, their coaching is a bit of a mess right now.. Nobody even knows who's in charge.. Add to that a depleted defence (which is bad enough when everybody is healthy), and the form Bayern are in at the moment (or have been in all season long actually), Bayern will have to be the favorites in this one..

It will be a Madrid-Bayern final.
Get the excuses in early...

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
The table is wrong, we have scored some counter-attack goals: Rooney vs City away, Van Persie vs Chelsea just to name a few.

Blackwidow

The Scholl kid, you see much of him? Some similarities to his father? Mehmet was a terrific player at a time when you didn't really see that sort of flair from a German

Saw this

The U19 of Bayern now is the one that is exceptional (even if they do not take part in the NextGenSeries - but the best German youth teams in that age with Bayern Schalke, 1860, Stuttgard do not either - and you have seen a lot of them in the recent season as they often have exercised with the professionals or played with them in test matches. Heynckes did some test matches to give players practice after injuries with some of the 3rd league teams in the area. After Emre Can and Emile-Pierre Hojbjerg that are already up at the professionals Guardiola will have some good material.

The graphics - just show what already has been said from some of us. Bayern might be a team that is based on possession. But they are not bad on the break - even if they do not get much possibilities for that with the opponents they have.