Champions League group stage draw

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don’t know much about Atalanta, what makes you say that?
Kinda unique. Stupidly physical and fast, like a top end PL side levels of physical and fast, and play man-to-man all over the pitch. City, with their players and style could rip them apart if they can win those man-to-man duels often enough, if not, it would be a mental game. 90s PL stuff

Last edited:

Beobachter

Expect goals galore from Atalanta, they're the most exciting and highest-scoring outfit in Serie A last season. Haven't looked at their squad over the course of summer transfer though, so they might've been weakened by now.

(ETA: just looked at their first Serie A match this season. Away at SPAL, won 3-2 after being two goals down. Yeah that's Atalanta, alright).

Saffa_Koppite

Supports
Liverpool
City's group in the past 3 seasons

City
Shakhtar
Atalanta
Dinamo Zagreb

City
Shakhtar
Lyon
Hoffenheim

City
Shakhtar (the hell???)
Napoli
Feyenoord
And funnily enough, all of them in the Guardiola era. Before that, they actually got some decent groups. Don’t tell me something odd is not going on there.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And funnily enough, all of them in the Guardiola era. Before that, they actually got some decent groups. Don’t tell me something odd is not going on there.
City's CL groups BC(Before Cnut)
11/12 bayern, napoli, villarreal(tough on paper, turned out piss easy in practice. Relegated)
12/13 madrid, bvb, ajax(:lol::lol::lol:)
13/14 Bayern, CSKA, Plzen
14/15 Bayern, Roma, CSKA
15/16 Juventus, Sevilla, Gladbach

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
It was the same boring stuff like every season but King Eric stole the show. :D

Expect goals galore from Atalanta, they're the most exciting and highest-scoring outfit in Serie A last season. Haven't looked at their squad over the course of summer transfer though, so they might've been weakened by now.

(ETA: just looked at their first Serie A match this season. Away at SPAL, won 3-2 after being two goals down. Yeah that's Atalanta, alright).
Whose their manager?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Pretty crap groups tbh, especially for the English sides (crap in the sense of the lack of good games for the neutral)

Stand out ties being

PSG v Real
Bayern v Spurs - I guess
Barca v Dortmund :drool::drool:
Barca v Inter

Siorac

I actually went to an Atalanta game last season, against Roma: they came back from 0-3 to draw 3-3 and really should have won. It was a bonkers game. Fantastic support, too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I actually went to an Atalanta game last season, against Roma: they came back from 0-3 to draw 3-3 and really should have won. It was a bonkers game. Fantastic support, too.
Atalanta games in general tend to go in one of two ways: bonkers, or they run the other team off the pitch. Only team that consistently had success against them were juventus and lazio, the two most physical sides in the league(besides them)

damageinc.

Supports
the unknown
Watch Barça send you to the EL this early December.
Maybe it could happen maybe not, who knows… but 2010 will remain forever :lol:

Anyway if we consider that this Inter is better than the last year, that Borussia is definitely weaker than Spurs (same as Slavia weaker than PSV), Barcelona is still the same….. I think that we have the right cards to pass.

Supports
Ajax
City's group in the past 3 seasons

City
Shakhtar
Atalanta
Dinamo Zagreb

City
Shakhtar
Lyon
Hoffenheim

City
Shakhtar (the hell???)
Napoli
Feyenoord
The really big question here ishow Feyenoord managed to qualify for the CL by getting through the early rounds seeing as they lose virtually every European match for no reason.

Oh wait, we didn’t need to do qualifiers as Dutch champions until after they played CL and lost the first five matches... FFS I obviously root for ‘m during Europa matches, but they almost squandered their only win (the 2-1 win over Napoli) with a red card as well and make it really hard to watch their matches as it so often just looks awful, demotivated and panicky whenever they play European teams. Really annoying when you root for your arch nemesis and they make it even harder to do so.

Anyway, Ajax should be able to finish top two in group H, but aside from Lille I could see three teams try for the first position. That said, I’m mostly saying so since I don’t particularly have high quality expectations from French teams. There always seems to be something lacking about them which makes them fail in the end even against , though I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Ajax is currently still looking for form, but they seem to slowly get there. The home game against Nicosia was a lot better with on occasion the quality you ought to expect.

I would say they improved due to a more balanced midfield, than Ajax had during the away match. But Dest is looking very solid in defense and the combination of Ziyech, Tadic, Neres and Huntelaar provides a lot of ball possession, movement and creativity. Huntelaar’s assist to Tadic’ second goal against Nicosia was absolutely brilliant btw. Hopefully the other newcomers (Álvarez, Marin and Martínez) to the team can up their game, because they’ve yet to impress. Havn’t seen Promes play yet, but I’m not quite sure why we got him anyway (maybe because Neres might get sold halfway through the season?). Oh well, €57,7 million in buys off-set against €203,75 million in sales should leave some leverage to retain some more players of quality. :)

Hopefully we can do another run like last year’s CL, but chances are of course that we should already be quite happy if we reach the quarter finals as things stand.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maybe it could happen maybe not, who knows… but 2010 will remain forever :lol:

Anyway if we consider that this Inter is better than the last year, that Borussia is definitely weaker than Spurs (same as Slavia weaker than PSV), Barcelona is still the same….. I think that we have the right cards to pass.
Spurs dominated game in Italy too, it was just lapse in last 5-10 mins that lost the game for them. Inter have chances to qualify anyways, Dortmund are beatable, especially with Conte as manager. He will set up to counter attack.

Supports
Ajax
Who replaced De Jong and De Ligt?
Still a work in progress. We bought some new players (Álvarez and Martínez for center back, Daley Blind played LCB against Nicosia though), but the newcomers failed to impress (lot of ball loss, can’t handle the constant pressing that is expected of them as of yet). Blind did very well though.

Marin or Donny van de Beek (injured) play CM. Marin looked very poorly in the away match against Nicosia. Possibly Siem de Jong (returned from being rented to Sydney FC, currently injured) might take over.

Schöne is a big loss on midfield afaic as well, tbh, but Siem de Jong might pick up great with van de Beek next to him.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I just hope group F's fate isn't decided by Barca resting half their team on the last match day, like last year.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The really big question here ishow Feyenoord managed to qualify for the CL by getting through the early rounds seeing as they lose virtually every European match for no reason.

Oh wait, we didn’t need to do qualifiers as Dutch champions until after they played CL and lost the first five matches... FFS I obviously root for ‘m during Europa matches, but they almost squandered their only win (the 2-1 win over Napoli) with a red card as well and make it really hard to watch their matches as it so often just looks awful, demotivated and panicky whenever they play European teams. Really annoying when you root for your arch nemesis and they make it even harder to do so.

Anyway, Ajax should be able to finish top two in group H, but aside from Lille I could see three teams try for the first position. That said, I’m mostly saying so since I don’t particularly have high quality expectations from French teams. There always seems to be something lacking about them which makes them fail in the end even against , though I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Ajax is currently still looking for form, but they seem to slowly get there. The home game against Nicosia was a lot better with on occasion the quality you ought to expect.

I would say they improved due to a more balanced midfield, than Ajax had during the away match. But Dest is looking very solid in defense and the combination of Ziyech, Tadic, Neres and Huntelaar provides a lot of ball possession, movement and creativity. Huntelaar’s assist to Tadic’ second goal against Nicosia was absolutely brilliant btw. Hopefully the other newcomers (Álvarez, Marin and Martínez) to the team can up their game, because they’ve yet to impress. Havn’t seen Promes play yet, but I’m not quite sure why we got him anyway (maybe because Neres might get sold halfway through the season?). Oh well, €57,7 million in buys off-set against €203,75 million in sales should leave some leverage to retain some more players of quality. :)

Hopefully we can do another run like last year’s CL, but chances are of course that we should already be quite happy if we reach the quarter finals as things stand.
:lol:

And they wonder why the whole country hates that drunk tourist infested shitehole we call our capital.

I'm kidding I love you.

I'm kidding you're shite.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Where is the Europa league draw thread? Some long trips in there for united. Astana in Kazakhstan? Wtf

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Cantona's speech :lol:

Group A
Easily Real Madrid and PSG......but Real Madrid vs PSG again is :boring::rolleyes:

Group B
Bayern Munich and Tottenham.....but Crvena Zvezda is strong at home therefore they could surprise both.

Group C
Shakhtar Donetsk are getting now a season-ticket at Etihad :lol:......Manchester City and Shakhtar Donetsk.

Group D
Juventus and Atletico Madrid.....Leverkusen will surely give both clubs hard games but over a group stage both other clubs are 2-3 level above them.

Group E
Liverpool and Salzburg.....i reckon Salzburg will surprise many people and i wouldn't be shocked if they win even the group.

Group F
Wow wow wow what a brilliant group and Slavia Prague will get surely a few points too.......in the end Barca and Inter Milan for me.

Group G
"The open and boring group" :rolleyes:.....puh Lyon and Benfica.

Group H
Another interesting group :)......Ajax and Chelsea.

Valley Blue

Supports
Manchester City
Kinda unique. Stupidly physical and fast, like a top end PL side levels of physical and fast, and play man-to-man all over the pitch. City, with their players and style could rip them apart if they can win those man-to-man duels often enough, if not, it would be a mental game. 90s PL stuff
Thanks, sounds like an interesting game!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

a different perspective on the draw

Last edited: