Champions League: Lisbon favourite to stage last-eight mini-tournament

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52980817

Lisbon is the favourite to host an eight-team Champions League knockout tournament in August, if it is given the go-ahead by governing body Uefa.

Uefa is planning to move the final from Istanbul, where it was due to be held on 30 May, for the new format.

The Europa League final, due to be held in Gdansk, Poland on 27 May, is likely to be moved to Germany.

Europe's continental cup competitions were stopped in March because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Uefa's executive committee will make its decision on 17 June.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What about the RO16 2nd legs still to play?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I hate those early games in Eastern Europe where it is day time during a CL game. These better be at night.

romufc

I hate those early games in Eastern Europe where it is day time during a CL game. These better be at night.
Does it matter if there are no crowds? Plus it being played in the summer, there will be daylight till 9/10pm anyway.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It is in August, you will need to be kicking off around 9pm if you want a floodlight fixture.

Deery

Dreary
So teams will just be staying in Portugal for a month then..

So is the Europa League going to be a mini tournament in Germany? It doesn’t say.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

So is the Europa League going to be a mini tournament in Germany? It doesn’t say.
I think they'll change the tournament format to only one match per tie rather than play home and away so it should take a lot less than one month.

izec

It will be two weeks. One game and they will play every 3 days.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

A month? If they have a one-legged mini tournament the whole thing will done in a week.

Pep's Suit

So remaining RO16 games will be played in Lisbon as well. Integrity, integrity...

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
So remaining RO16 games will be played in Lisbon as well. Integrity, integrity...
UEFA will make a decision on Wednesday.

But according to the latest reports....all Last 16 Round games (CL + EL) will be played early August in the home stadiums....so for example Bayern Munich vs Chelsea in Munich, Manchester United vs LASK in Manchester and Inter Milan vs Getafe must play both games in their home grounds.

Then the CL clubs are going to Lisbon and the EL clubs are going to Germany.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So are all CL games (from quarters onwards) at either the Estadio Da Luz or Jose Alvalade?

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
This kinda diminishes the tourney a bit for me this season with the wonky format. I understand why it had to be done but this essentially feels like how a nations league would feel for an international cup.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This kinda diminishes the tone make the a bit for me this season with the wonky format. I understand why it had to be done but this essentially feels like how a nations league would feel for an international cup.
It's just a move from two legs to one. I don't think it changes that much. It's the same competition.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It's just a move from two legs to one. I don't think it changes that much. It's the same competition.
Yes but two legs makes a massive difference as does the home advantage. Playing so many matches before the final on neutral ground hurts the tournament. But again, I understand why they had to do it this way. Feels more like a friendly summer pre season CL

Judas

Open to offers
It's a totally different tournament, one legged ties, neutral grounds, it can't really be compared to any CL tournament in literally centuries. It really couldn't be changing more? :lol: it's the CL in name, but in format it's anything but really.

Still it'll be bloody entertaining in theory.

amolbhatia50k

Yes but two legs makes a massive difference as does the home advantage. Playing so many matches before the final on neutral ground hurts the tournament. But again, I understand why they had to do it this way. Feels more like a friendly summer pre season CL
Or you can see it as a WC of sorts. Have fun with it. Your team is actually in it!

amolbhatia50k

It's a totally different tournament, one legged ties, neutral grounds, it can't really be compared to any CL tournament in literally centuries. It really couldn't be changing more? :lol: it's the CL in name, but in format it's anything but really.

Still it'll be bloody entertaining in theory.
Why do you need to compare it? It IS the champions League. That's what you'll win at the end of the day. It's hardly an alien format that devalues the competition. It's the same one used in the even more prestigious world cup and euros/copas too. Neutral empty ground will be odd but these are odd times.

Judas

Open to offers
Just seems like a bizarre argument to me. Yeah you'll get the trophy, but getting it will be totally different playing field to every other time the CL has been won. Literally, every time.

Nickelodeon

This gives the likes of Atlanta a bit more of a chance. From two legged ties against Bayern, Barca to one-off games. Could make a huge difference.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Or you can see it as a WC of sorts. Have fun with it. Your team is actually in it!
Haha yeah, considering how bad our away form is maybe single knock out is for the best.

Either way I’d rather have some form of CL than none at all.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Just seems like a bizarre argument to me. Yeah you'll get the trophy, but getting it will be totally different playing field to every other time the CL has been won. Literally, every time.
Who really gives a shit about the format you played to win it.

It's still the CL trophy which requires you to beat multiple top teams to win it.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I wonder if they will just go straight into next season after this one is done. They’ve had 2/3 months break haven’t they so it would make sense to get everything back on track.

amolbhatia50k

I'm not sure what your argument actually is. Is it a different format? Yes. Is it a different competition? No. Are you saying this year's CL is massively devalued or something?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I wonder if they will just go straight into next season after this one is done. They’ve had 2/3 months break haven’t they so it would make sense to get everything back on track.
I read somewhere Champions League final will be August 23rd and they want to start the season in mid-September.