Champions League | Matchday 6

cyberman

The English FA will be digging into the Irish keepers family tree before the night is over

marktan

In front of the keeper implies he was between the keeper and the ball which he wasn't. He was close to the keeper which might have affected the keeper.
I thought it was harsh too but Handonovic didn't move at all, I think he was anticipating Embolo flicking it when he jumped over the ball. Overall just about the right call for me.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
If Inter are winning against Shakhtar in the last game then Gladbach and Madrid can agree to a draw in order for both of them to go through now. Really hope that doesn't happen as it would ruin one of the all time best CL groups

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I think Rose is great but putting Zakaria who's a box to box CM/DM into central defence up against Lukaku was a risk that didn't work. He bullied him all over the place

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
That Bayern draw ends an incredible 15 win run in the Champions League. The last game they hadn't won was that home loss to Liverpool in March 2019.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Thank God that's the crap internationals, the CLs and the FA Cup over (got Villa? Thanks FA, its over) for us until at least February. Try to rest these remaining remants of players between games until the January transfer window. Sign that Ajax defender and get that Gravenson bloke too for Wijnaldum who is leaving on a free in the summer.

Renegade

I’m assuming Klopp took full advantage of the 5 subs rule tonight? Wonder if Robertson got his rest.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Thank God that's the crap internationals, the CLs and the FA Cup over (got Villa? Thanks FA, its over) for us until at least February. Try to rest these remaining remants of players between games until the January transfer window. Sign that Ajax defender and get that Gravenson bloke too for Wijnaldum who is leaving on a free in the summer.
Jurgen won't though will he? He'll persevere with Jones/Williams etc

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool has absolutely fluked their way through a useless group.

They legitimately only played very good in one game.

Ajax should have at the very least drawn both but they have the worst finishing in the world.
I mean can’t really ask for anything more than qualification considering the injuries. Getting through is all that matters would have been hard even with a full strength squad it’s the CL not the Johnstone Paint Trophy.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I thought it was harsh too but Handonovic didn't move at all, I think he was anticipating Embolo flicking it when he jumped over the ball. Overall just about the right call for me.
Perhaps. I don't think it's enough to overturn a decision personally. It's not like the Lukaku goal that also cost Gladbach a win in the first game that was offside.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Jurgen won't though will he? He'll persevere with Jones/Williams etc
He's been known to spend big defensively in January, a name escapes me. :) Seriously, Gomez is done for us and Klopp, he ain't ever not being injury ridden. So the purchase is a long term investment not just until Gomez comes back. The less we say about Matip the better, expect a hernia announced tomorrow.

laughtersassassin

I mean can’t really ask for anything more than qualification considering the injuries. Getting through is all that matters would have been hard even with a full strength squad it’s the CL not the Johnstone Paint Trophy.
Yeah you could argue that sure. But considering the quality of thst group yous really should have done better. Doesn't matter at the end of the day though.

PoTMS

Real Madrid and Inter are sitting third and fourth going into their final game and yet I'm pretty sure they will go through.

laughtersassassin

Highly unlikely, he looks good but seems like we’ll be in for Upamecano next summer or someone of that ilk. Mind you anything can change.
I remember when Klopp once said given the option he wouldn't build a team by buying loads of players for lots of money.

Went back on that fairly quick once it was hung Infront of him

But seriously please no Upa VVD CB pairing is legit cheating.

PoTMS

Time for us to step up and do the business tomorrow. No mercy.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
If Inter are winning against Shakhtar in the last game then Gladbach and Madrid can agree to a draw in order for both of them to go through now. Really hope that doesn't happen as it would ruin one of the all time best CL groups
that would be risky from Real’s perspective. If Shakhtar were to equalize against Inter in the last minute for example, it would mean Real is out.

always_hoping

Liverpool has absolutely fluked their way through a useless group.

They legitimately only played very good in one game.

Ajax should have at the very least drawn both but they have the worst finishing in the world.
Should have drawn both matches by not scoring for Liverpool in Amsterdam and goalkeeping gifting them the goal tonight.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Feel like the Madrid group is just one of those occasions everybody is rooting for a bug club to fail badly but in the end they squeeze through

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
that would be risky from Real’s perspective. If Shakhtar were to equalize against Inter in the last minute for example, it would mean Real is out.
Yes that's also true. But it's possible that Inter are winning by 2 or 3 goals against Shakhtar and the other game is a draw with 15/20 minutes to go. In that case I think both Gladbach and Madrid would play out a draw which would be a shame.

Scenarios like that are why I think the group stage format can be really unfair.

Next Wednesday should be awesome though, aside from group B we'll also get Ajax vs Atalanta and Salzburg vs Atletico as decisive games.

PoTMS

What are the odds Liverpool draw Porto in the next round? 100%

padr81

Supports
Man City
Another clean sheet Pep is turning into Jose.

Gasolin

Real Madrid and Inter are sitting third and fourth going into their final game and yet I'm pretty sure they will go through.
Real for sure, they just need to beat Monchengladbach. But with a GD of -2 for Inter vs +9 for Monchengladbach, I am not sure Inter would, unless they score 10 goals or something, and Monchengladbach loses. Well I guess if Monchengladbach loses to Madrid, Inter has to win by a 6 goals margin.

PoTMS

Real for sure, they just need to beat Monchengladbach. But with a GD of -2 for Inter vs +9 for Monchengladbach, I am not sure Inter would, unless they score 10 goals or something, and Monchengladbach loses. Well I guess if Monchengladbach loses to Madrid, Inter has to win by a 6 goals margin.
In that scenario where Gladbach loses and Inter win, Inter would go through due to better head-to-head.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
Yes that's also true. But it's possible that Inter are winning by 2 or 3 goals against Shakhtar and the other game is a draw with 15/20 minutes to go. In that case I think both Gladbach and Madrid would play out a draw which would be a shame.

Scenarios like that are why I think the group stage format can be really unfair.

Next Wednesday should be awesome though, aside from group B we'll also get Ajax vs Atalanta and Salzburg vs Atletico as decisive games.
Yup that’s true.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
What are the odds Liverpool draw Porto in the next round? 100%
100% are not odds.

And as its Europe we're UEFA's darlings. Unlike the FA Cnuts who use VAR to give us Aston Villa in their shitty tournaments.