Champions League QF Draw | Manchester United v Barcelona

Nori-

It has to be Porto or Ajax.

Porto are the weakest team of the bunch. Ajax, did great job beating Real the other night but they beat a Madrid team in a crisis and lost to them at home. Definitely beatable.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Lloris is a winner, but he isn't the force of personality you need to turn around the culture of a club. He's not Cantona or Ronaldo.

No he's not. Lloris is not some natural born winner that the likes of Kane or Alli aren't, he just happened to play for a very talented France team. This is why this type of discussion is so silly.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'm wary of drawing Ajax. Even though we beat them in the Europa final, 2 years on, some of those players are a bit more polished and matured now. We don't particularly do well against sides like them. Quick passing and pressing sides.

diarm

No he's not. Lloris is not some natural born winner that the likes of Kane or Alli aren't, he just happened to play for a very talented France team. This is why this type of discussion is so silly.
Lloris isn't a world cup winner just because that French team is talented. He won because alongside that talent, there are real winners in that squad. Personalities like Pogba, Kante, Griezmann and Mbappe who understand winning and know what it takes.

Talent alone isn't enough just like pedigree alone isn't enough. You need both along with a little luck, a little bottle and a good motivator and tactician at the helm.

Spurs are lacking more of what you need to win than Ajax are in my book.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Lloris isn't a world cup winner just because that French team is talented. He won because alongside that talent, there are real winners in that squad. Personalities like Pogba, Kante, Griezmann and Mbappe who understand winning and know what it takes.

Talent alone isn't enough just like pedigree alone isn't enough. You need both along with a little luck, a little bottle and a good motivator and tactician at the helm.

Spurs are lacking more of what you need to win than Ajax are in my book.
For god sake that Ajax team hasn't even been able to win the fecking Eredivisie in years. The eredivisie!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I hope Spurs draw Ajax in the next round now. My money would be on Spurs.
Maybe so but both teams would pose a different challenge to United. Their match against each other is pretty irrelevant.
Although I would laugh at that outcome

Adebesi

Maybe so but both teams would pose a different challenge to United. Their match against each other is pretty irrelevant.
Although I would laugh at that outcome
Its pretty irrelevant to us as Man United fans but it would certainly be amusing in light of all this talk about European pedigree and gleeful predictions about the wheels coming off at Spurs.

My opinion on that is that Spurs are having a bit of a wobble, which is pretty normal, but that it will take a better side than Ajax to knock them out of the CL.

scstan

For god sake that Ajax team hasn't even been able to win the fecking Eredivisie in years. The eredivisie!
The first leg against Real, Ajax has the better chances. Ajax lost only one match during this Champions League, 2 times a draw against Bayern (where they were the better team).

Tottenham finished second because Inter didn't win against PSV the last match..

buchansleftleg

So i take it this will be a straight forward draw out of the bag with no... if /then about previous groups or countries.

Will they be drawing for both the QF and SF (namely winner of match 1 will play winner of match 3 in SF) or do they do a separate Semi final draw these days?

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
So i take it this will be a straight forward draw out of the bag with no... if /then about previous groups or countries.

Will they be drawing for both the QF and SF (namely winner of match 1 will play winner of match 3 in SF) or do they do a separate Semi final draw these days?
I think they're doing the QF and SF draw on the same day this year

Member 90887

IF (and that's a big if) we go through against Liverpool, I would love us to get you in the 1/4-finals. We are not the force that we were, but I still think that with both teams in full force we are stronger than you. It would be the clash of two inexperienced managers and you are still the biggest name in English football. It would be a close and interesting tie but I fancy our chances. I would prefer Old Trafford first, too.
I would personally love that, i think it would be more of a 50/50...

i'd prefer to meet Bayern in the final though, that would be even better.

Hopefully, you'll smash liverpool in the return leg, pretty sure that every united supporter would be behing you.

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
If Ajax would play like this in the Eredivisie they wouldn't lose a single game.
Unfortunately, they don't always play like this in the Eredivisie.

It's a mental thing. They were outplayed by fecking Heracles (average mid table Dutch team.) A few days later.... Ajax almost won from Real Madrid. Doesn't make any sense.
It's like this Ajax can only reach this level against top tier teams.

I know top teams would love to draw Ajax (on paper Porto and Ajax are the weakest)
But this Ajax plays with no fear in Europe.

They keep attacking and pressing. Like it's their last football game ever.

I think we can surprise a lot of teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

diarm

Sometimes I find myself in these arguments with Spurs fans and wonder how the hell I got myself there.

There are people who like winding up others on the internet. They go out in their little boat, they drop a line with some bait on it and they try to catch something and then carefully reel it in.

With Spurs fans you're not even fishing at all. You're out in your little boat, minding your own business. You don't have any fishing gear and you're not even talking about fish.

You might be talking about something else entirely - say steak for example. Then all of a sudden, there are these little frozen fish fingers leaping out of the water and landing in your boat. They're flopping about all mental, bitching: "What's so good about steak? We're better than steak. Why don't you want to eat us?"

You stare at them for a few seconds in disbelief before saying: "You wot mate? You're a fecking fish finger."

They're still flipping out, ranting about how steak is so overrated and how fish fingers have all the same nutritional value and then somehow, probably due to the sheer absurdity of the situation, you allow yourself to get dragged into the debate:

"Here, you're not even a proper fish. If you were a sea bass or a turbot I'd listen to you. I might agree or disagree but I'd listen."

They go crazy telling me how I've always discriminated against the fish finger, how they are just as good as real fish. Shouting at anyone who will listen about how they've got a fancy new box and that last year Tesco sold more fish fingers than steak or sea bass - proof that they're better.

"Here don't get me wrong. I like a fish finger as much as the next guy for a lazy Tuesday evening tv dinner after work. But I'm not ordering it at a restaurant and no chef ever won any awards serving fish fecking fingers".

Then they start crying about how us people always make it about awards. How there is more to food than michellin stars and how they saw Gordon Ramsey eating a fish finger on tv once.

Before you know it you're discussing the life expectancy of fish finger eaters and the impact of cattle farming on the environment. All because the yoke that lives forgotten at the bottom of everyone's freezer thinks he belongs on the top shelf of the fridge.

Water Melon

Sometimes I find myself in these arguments with Spurs fans and wonder how the hell I got myself there.

There are people who like winding up others on the internet. They go out in their little boat, they drop a line with some bait on it and they try to catch something and then carefully reel it in.

With Spurs fans you're not even fishing at all. You're out in your little boat, minding your own business. You don't have any fishing gear and you're not even talking about fish.

You might be talking about something else entirely - say steak for example. Then all of a sudden, there are these little frozen fish fingers leaping out of the water and landing in your boat. They're flopping about all mental, bitching: "What's so good about steak? We're better than steak. Why don't you want to eat us?"

You stare at them for a few seconds in disbelief before saying: "You wot mate? You're a fecking fish finger."

They're still flipping out, ranting about how steak is so overrated and how fish fingers have all the same nutritional value and then somehow, probably due to the sheer absurdity of the situation, you allow yourself to get dragged into the debate:

"Here, you're not even a proper fish. If you were a sea bass or a turbot I'd listen to you. I might agree or disagree but I'd listen."

They go crazy telling me how I've always discriminated against the fish finger, how they are just as good as real fish. Shouting at anyone who will listen about how they've got a fancy new box and that last year Tesco sold more fish fingers than steak or sea bass - proof that they're better.

"Here don't get me wrong. I like a fish finger as much as the next guy for a lazy Tuesday evening tv dinner after work. But I'm not ordering it at a restaurant and no chef ever won any awards serving fish fecking fingers".

Then they start crying about how us people always make it about awards. How there is more to food than michellin stars and how they saw Gordon Ramsey eating a fish finger on tv once.

Before you know it you're discussing the life expectancy of fish finger eaters and the impact of cattle farming on the environment. All because the yoke that lives forgotten at the bottom of everyone's freezer thinks he belongs on the top shelf of the fridge.
English is not my first, second or even third language, but I do salute you sir for this wonderful piece of prose.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Never drink and post.

Adebesi

Yep, this is marvellous. I laughed at the mental image of you sitting in a boat talking to a fish finger. And some other guys sitting in the boat with you, saying, "oh, dont you worry about him, he always likes to drop a bit of acid when he comes out on the boat."

Siorac

3 ex players but hard to argue that they are all Ajax bred. Sanchez was 20 when he moved and your two top class centre backs were 16 - and if you had more like those two, you'd probably have more trophies in your cabinet.

Ajax may not have a trophy laden recent history but the players they've produced have been winning trophies all over Europe for decades. You'll have to remind me of the last Spurs academy graduate to have won anything of note?

It's really not a controversial opinion to suggest Ajax produce better winners than Tottenham do and you're falling into the classic Spurs fan trap of digging yourself into a hole you might up being embarrassed by.
They produce better players, there's really no need to introduce mysticism into it. They produce very good players who then win stuff at other, much richer clubs.

diarm

They produce better players, there's really no need to introduce mysticism into it. They produce very good players who then win stuff at other, much richer clubs.
I don't think it is mysticism. I believe that psychology is incredibly important in sport and the best academies recognise that mentality and character is as important as talent when producing players.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Nah, don't try to introduce logic to it.

@diarm will post another weird fish story about how apparently the ones who disagree that some clubs are granted a supernatural winning ability are the ones who are being absurd.

Ajax, the natural born winners who haven't won the world's 11th best league in years and mostly don't get out of the cl groups. Their mystical force apparently has the ability to turn itself on and off and is fully active this year so everybody should watch out.

Weird how a club like Liverpool went from the biggest winners in English football to not being able to win a PL title and now get thrown in to the same pile as the clubs who have 'bottling fabric', or whatever.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think it is mysticism. I believe that psychology is incredibly important in sport and the best academies recognise that mentality and character is as important as talent when producing players.
Yes it is, but not your particular brand of nonsense armchair psychology which serves as the perfect example of confirmation bias.

'Look see, Ajax won a knockout tie! Perfect example of their superior footballing heritage/pedigree/voodoo!'

'Yeah, but what about all the times in the last few decades they've been knocked out by teams with way less impressive histories, and all the times recently they've lost the dutch league to significantly smaller clubs, or lost to Feyenoord 6-2?'

'Well duh, they didn't have the players all those other times, silly!'

BlueHaze

What a hilarious post. I love this game. :lol:

diarm

Nah, don't try to introduce logic to it.

@diarm will post another weird fish story about how apparently the ones who disagree that some clubs are granted a supernatural winning ability are the ones who are being absurd.

Ajax, the natural born winners who haven't won the world's 11th best league in years and mostly don't get out of the cl groups. Their mystical force apparently has the ability to turn itself on and off and is fully active this year so everybody should watch out.

Weird how a club like Liverpool went from the biggest winners in English football to not being able to win a PL title and now get thrown in to the same pile as the clubs who have 'bottling fabric', or whatever.
It's not a supernatural ability. It's a culture, deliberately created within a club from top to bottom. Liverpool had it and turned their back on it for so long, they lost it. In recent years they have restructured in an attempt to regain it and have moved much closer to doing so. City have created it from nothing with money and good management/structuring but they are still on their journey to reaching the very top.

We turned our back on ours but hopefully, not for so long that Ole hasn't been able to come in and reignite the flame. When you've been a massive club, it's easier to find your way again because the lessons are there in the history and fabric of your club. Spurs don't have that and it seems like they don't want to - they ignore the lessons of other clubs and prefer to belittle the experience and opinions of winners.

diarm

Yes it is, but not your particular brand of nonsense armchair psychology which serves as the perfect example of confirmation bias.

'Look see, Ajax won a knockout tie! Perfect example of their superior footballing heritage/pedigree/voodoo!'

'Yeah, but what about all the times in the last few decades they've been knocked out by teams with way less impressive histories, and all the times recently they've lost the dutch league to significantly smaller clubs, or lost to Feyenoord 6-2?'

'Well duh, they didn't have the players all those other times, silly!'
I haven't said that one knockout tie is proof of their superior anything. I said that it shows they have a team with talent and that, combined with their greater pedigree is why I think they're a tougher prospect at the business end of European competition than Spurs.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

This is amazing. :lol:

ghagua

Would like Porto but we will probably get the hardest team left in the competition, just like the domestic cups.

Hughie77

Don't care who we get, these boys are up for anyone, anyone they believe they can beat, would not have said that in December, Valencia away lost and were awful.

Suv666

Amazing :lol::lol:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Will take whoever. Still can't believe we're still involved.

Totally trust us to seriously worry any team left in it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's not a supernatural ability. It's a culture, deliberately created within a club from top to bottom. Liverpool had it and turned their back on it for so long, they lost it. In recent years they have restructured in an attempt to regain it and have moved much closer to doing so. City have created it from nothing with money and good management/structuring but they are still on their journey to reaching the very top.

We turned our back on ours but hopefully, not for so long that Ole hasn't been able to come in and reignite the flame. When you've been a massive club, it's easier to find your way again because the lessons are there in the history and fabric of your club. Spurs don't have that and it seems like they don't want to - they ignore the lessons of other clubs and prefer to belittle the experience and opinions of winners.
No they didn't. They made shit decisions in regard to managerial appointments and signings. They didn't turn their back on culture, if anything they had numerous occasions on which they tried to back to their roots by appointing 'natural born winners' like Dalglish, and it failed. They've 'restructured in an attempt to regain it' by spending money on better players and appointing a genuinely excellent manager with a solid plan on how to bring back success. They aren't good this season because of a winning fabric inherent in the club.

City got here because they hired lots of very good coaches, a world class manager, and spent lots of money on very good players, to the point where they were outspending the biggest clubs who generally would otherwise have had a big advantage. Them and Chelsea are visible proof that the elitist view you have on football is absolute and utter nonsense, yet you'll get round that by admitting you can buy a winning culture. The only reason the biggest clubs are more successful is because they have far greater resources, when sugar daddies arrived they could artificially replicate these resources and have mid table clubs fighting at the top level.

It's easier to 'find your way again' because you have massive resources inherent at most big clubs, so even in dry periods can completely outspend your opposition and attract the top players and managers. You won't find your way again because of the lessons in your history, you'll find your way again because you've appointed a manager who has got a lot of talented players on side and brushed away the cobwebs of a toxic Jose Mourinho dressing room. If you start winning titles again it will be not be because of your fabric, but because you'll have started to make the right decisions again.

This arrogant bullshit about Spurs ignoring the 'lessons' of other clubs is hilarious. Yes, if only we took notes from City and Chelsea on how to be winners (spend billions) or would simply adopt a winning mentality at the club, then we'd immediately be a success! Do people honestly believe this shite?

Suv666

Confident we can sucessfully take on everyone except Barca and Atletico. Would love to draw Ajax or Porto. Hope we can avoid the PL teams as that'll be kinda boring. Also have a gut feeling Lpool are getting knocked out by Bayern. That'll be fun.

MPTutd

would love Ajax next. Hugely admire what they did to RM, but there is no way we will let them play like that. I think we'll beat them easily over two legs.