Champions League QF: Manchester United v Barcelona - Build Up Thread

edcunited1878

And we were missing half our team for the second leg and injuries to Martial and Lingard messed us over in the first leg,so that excuse of missing Cavani and Neymar doesn’t mean anything now.
PSG bottled it and United took advantage, we know that. Barca are a much superior team to PSG and are clearly superior to United. United have to be extremely clinical against Barca similar against Barca. A backpass mistake, a spill from the GK and a last minute peno opportunity may not materialize against Barca.

Barca have, like I said, the experience and know how across their lines. And this guy named Messi who goes into God mode and has literally carried Barca via match winning performances/moments. Suarez seems to be in good form too, and he already hates United as is so you know he'll show up.

Canagel

Chelsea draw was at the Bridge and it was a terrible result to get at home. They lost 3-0 at Camp Nou.
1-1 is a good result. we're a better side than Chelsea and capable of causing some problems. imagine if we score an early goal in the camp nou- barca will be shitting themselves. ideally we want to take a lead for the second leg to defend but it's even more vital not to lose the first match like we did against PSG. 0-0 , 1-0, 1-1, 2-1 - all good results for me.

el3mel

1-1 is a good result. we're a better side than Chelsea and capable of causing some problems. imagine if we score an early goal in the camp nou- barca will be shitting themselves. ideally we want to take a lead for the second leg to defend but it's even more vital not to lose the first match like we did against PSG. 0-0 , 1-0, 1-1, 2-1 - all good results for me.
Any result except winning at OT means we're out. This isn't PSG.

Camp Nou is an absolute fortress.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Carrick was traumatized after one of the finals and he's a coach now. You bet he'd want revenge!

Yes it was clean. We got outplayed but that's what I meant by revenge. It's time for us to outplay them and show them who's boss! Also, among fans I've had years and years of Barca supporters telling me how shit we are compared to them.

I think it's the perfect plot for revenge. Both squads rebuilt. Another era. Time for some payback! Also doesn't help I have a heavy dislike for Barca and the fake image they portray of themselves as a "humble" team.
Exactly! We can and will beat the arrogant fecks for Carrick! Love the optimism mate

How the feck do we stop Messi?
Kick the little fecker off the park, if that fails Phil Jones him, two footed neck high tackle should do it.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
We will win this, 2-2 at old Trafford, 3-3 at their place, through on away goals!

Web of Bissaka

Love the match draw, let's smash 'em.

Diamond and counter attack.

First match is April 11, enough time to get all our key players back and ready, enough match sharpness.

Martial -- Rashford
Lingard
Pogba ---- Herrera
Matic
Shaw -- Lindelof -- Smalling -- Bailly*
De Gea
*Doubt, Young will usually play there instead, love to see Ole try it.

redasian

Sure, they'll be tough, but we're Man Utd. Anything is possible.

Unless Messi decides to turn it on, then there's no shame in getting beat by arguably the GOAT.

tomaldinho1

The problem will be trying to keep the ball to attack. Our ball retention skills in those big games are usually awful and we usually end with like less than 40% possession in big games, winning them on counters. Barca are even better in controlling the ball than other English teams and PSG.

It's a tricky game. It's not impossible but we'll need 200% effort and exceptional performance from the entire team.
Yh I agree but that's more of a philosophy change - I made a thread on it quite recently re rethinking our CM trio because we're very poor when it comes to managing games. if you think of how big we are as a club and how dominant we were in the PL, we have a seriously disappointing record in the CL and it's because we don't place any value on ball retention, we're always very cut and thrust and reliant on the counter against the top teams.

I think of it like this, if you look at our most recent CL losses to Barca, I think most would agree that neither team is as good as it was then (us in particular) but neither team has fundamentally really changed the way they play. This would be different if LVG or Mou was still here but with Ole we have very much reverted back to the United 'of old'. Barca are not the tiki taka obsessives they once were but are still a team that favours heavy possession based attacking football. Considering that, I think it's pointless to go in with the idea of trying to catch them on the counter because, quite simply, that's what they pretty much face every game and we don't really have the players. Additionally, they have a superb sweeper keeper so any long balls over the top need to be eye of the needle type passes to actually pose any threat.

Maybe something like Pogba as a SS (who then sits on Busquets when we defend) which allows an extra CM in midfield would be a way to think about it. We won't boss the possession but when we do have the ball, we need to keep it, even if it's just passing around our CBs for a bit.

el3mel

Yh I agree but that's more of a philosophy change - I made a thread on it quite recently re rethinking our CM trio because we're very poor when it comes to managing games. if you think of how big we are as a club and how dominant we were in the PL, we have a seriously disappointing record in the CL and it's because we don't place any value on ball retention, we're always very cut and thrust and reliant on the counter against the top teams.

I think of it like this, if you look at our most recent CL losses to Barca, I think most would agree that neither team is as good as it was then (us in particular) but neither team has fundamentally really changed the way they play. This would be different if LVG or Mou was still here but with Ole we have very much reverted back to the United 'of old'. Barca are not the tiki taka obsessives they once were but are still a team that favours heavy possession based attacking football. Considering that, I think it's pointless to go in with the idea of trying to catch them on the counter because, quite simply, that's what they pretty much face every game and we don't really have the players. Additionally, they have a superb sweeper keeper so any long balls over the top need to be eye of the needle type passes to actually pose any threat.

Maybe something like Pogba as a SS (who then sits on Busquets when we defend) which allows an extra CM in midfield would be a way to think about it. We won't boss the possession but when we do have the ball, we need to keep it, even if it's just passing around our CBs for a bit.
Good points here. I said the same about counters but also because Valverde isn't necessarily an overly offensive manager who will leave space at the back. They'll anticipate it.

Only way is to press and congest their midfield and try to win the midfield battle by any means. The midfield trio we're going to put in must put 200% effort in this.

I remember in 2011 final I always thought it was a huge mistake putting someone like Giggs in midfield against Barca's midfield. It was a suicide watch. Their midfield is definitely not as strong as 2011 now but still superior to ball retention and possession. We'll need to have an energetic midfield with extra effort to compete.

Also hoofing the ball from the back like what someone as Young do all the time will be a terrible idea.

Red00012

Poorest Barca team in a few years. This tie is not going to be as simple as everyone seems to think.

Eddy_JukeZ

This isn't Pep's Barca. They will let you play and their pressing isn't what it once was.

The key will be when we do have the ball is circulating the ball well. We'll get opportunities to attack and we'll have to make them count. If Valverde goes with a 3 man midfield, Messi will vacate the right and we'll have potential for our strong overloads on the left.

Defensively, we'll have to form blocks around Messi and make sure someone always keeps an eye on Alba's overlapping runs. I hope Ole shows numerous clips of Messi's lofted balls to Alba, because we'll need to make sure it's never on.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Barcelona are the toughest team we could have drawn.
But Ole and Phelan will have the team prepared well.
They have the players believing in themselves and have them playing better than they have been before.

We will be difficult to beat.

Buzzing for the matches.

crossy1686

career ending
Everyone's worried about Messi but have you seen their high line? How the feck are they going to catch Rashford, Martial, Lukaku or Lingard when they're through on goal? They should be very worried about out front line.

crossy1686

career ending
Barcelona are the toughest team we could have drawn.
But Ole and Phelan will have the team prepared well.
They have the players believing in themselves and have them playing better than they have been before.

We will be difficult to beat.

Buzzing for the matches.
Liverpool and City are the best teams in the competition, we've done well to not draw another English team.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A Fred Pogba Herrera midfield please with Lindgard just ahead.

Matic is just too slow.

We will have chances on the counter. Just hope Rashford and Martial can be clinical.

Hoof the ball

I took the time to have a good read of the FB Barcelona subreddit on the Champions League draw thread. It is with no exaggeration that I report that most of them spent more time discussing their semi-final vs. Liverpool than the QF matchup ahead against us.

There's a sick feeling in my stomach knowing that we're an afterthought behind in priority to their theoretical semi vs Liverpool. Makes me all the more determined to see us knock out Barca.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Any result except winning at OT means we're out. This isn't PSG.

Camp Nou is an absolute fortress.
So were the Allianz stadium and Parc de Princes before we went there. History means for nothing on the day. Yes Barca are favorites, but we have a fighting chance and even if we get an unfavorable result at OT, the tie won't be over.

Alek M

Da manic one
As a Manchester United fan and supporter I am never afraid of any team out there.

In 09 we were the favorites when Barca was the underdog. Tables are turning folks. We are the up and coming team.

Chin up .We got this!

Greck

His positioning will be crucial. He can cut off any of the supply to Messi.
I don't know, Messi isn't a player whose supply can simply be cut off, certainly not by a fairly static DM. He's going to pop up all over the pitch and even run at Matic a lot. Even Carrick was made a spectator and that's Carrick who Matic is a counterfeit of. Messi isn't the same player but you get the point

Eric7C

So,

Press or defend deep and counter?
I would say let them have the ball in their own half, and the moment they cross the halfway line, press them like crazy to win it back and hit them on the counter. Also:
- Play Dalot as a winger so that we have a threat on the right and to prevent them from doing what PSG did to to us at OT (nullify the Martial-Pogba-Shaw axis).
- Tell Smalling specifically to not hold Suarez's shirt. Don't tackle him unless absolutely necessary - we know what he likes to do - hold him off instead, he doesn't have the magic anymore. Take turns at fouling him (way) outside the box to rile him up (he might bite somebody and we could be playing against 10).
- Play Pogba-Herrea-Fred as the midfield and not Matic - who is okay on the ball but will be overrun.
- BELIEVE.

crossy1686

career ending
I don't know, Messi isn't a player whose supply can simply be cut off, certainly not by a fairly static DM. He's going to pop up all over the pitch and even run at Matic a lot. Even Carrick was made a spectator and that's Carrick who Matic is a counterfeit of
Double him up with Herrera and we're good. His mobility will be key to running the midfield. That's where this game will be won and lost. I just hope we don't show them too much respect in the first leg because we won't have any fear come the second leg. We need to get over this notion that Messi is some sort of Demi-God and we'll be fine.

ravi2

Jesus you're all a bunch of fannies. There is no achievement in reaching the Semi Finals by beating Porto just to have to face a team you're afraid of.

We're gonna beat Barcelona. I'm more worried about a United vs City final.

Im more worried about a United v Livers semi final.

soaphroniscuss

Why the pessimism :nono: ?

We will rise to the challenge and we have a good chance of going through.

We need the midfield three to be on top of their game and no Bailly or Jones in defence please Ole.

If Lukaku has his shooting boots on, Matic is rested and Young remembers how to defend we have a great chance.

I would play McTominay instead of Matic myself but I very much doubt Ole will do that.

DDG
Young Smalling Lindelof Shaw
McTominay
Hererra Pogba
Lingard Rashford Martial

Subs: to come on
Lukaku
Matic
Sanchez

We owe them for 2009 and 2011 :devil:

BlueHaze

Liverpool and City are the best teams in the competition, we've done well to not draw another English team.
Liverpool the beast team? Those over rated bastards couldn't even score a goal on us when we had an absolute shite fest of a game and was forced to make 3 subs early on and had Rashford forced to play the entire game half injured. Liverpool are defenitiely very strong this year but had they gotten any of Barca, Juve or City in this draw they would have been out. Unsurprisingly they got the easisest draw out of all and they are now just going to cruise their way to a semi.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The spirit of Di Matteo is inside Ole. I faith we can go through, as long as we effectively utilize the “let the opposition shite themselves tactics” again. I have faith that Shaw, Smalling, Linderlof and De Gea will play like warriors in the defense.

We should just ensure that our attackers are clinical. Fast attacker in Rashford, Martial and lingard upfront will do a lot of damage on the counter attacker. PSG had 72% possession when we won. Since we don’t have Pochettino, who managed to get 51% at the camp nou and get a draw, our approach will be similar to how we played PSG. I don’t think Barcelona are as complacent, but I feel that De Gea might have one of those special moments again that helps us go through.

UncleBob

I'd be tempted to shift Lingard into a slightly deeper position and move Pogba higher up the pitch

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So,

Press or defend deep and counter?
This Barca side can make even the most accomplished pressing teams look incompetent with their tiki-taka brand of football. Our squad is far better suited to a counterattacking system anyway, particularly in the away games against the bigger clubs where we have been devastating on the break. I'm expecting a similar system to be used against Barca - especially at the Bernabeu.

Robin Your Persie

I feel Fred could be an important player for this tie, he’s quick and moves the ball around well and would be helpful with Herrera in stopping Messi.

We’d need a big performance out of Martial as well, sometimes he loses the ball too easily. Hopefully along with Rasford he can really get at the Barca defence.

Last edited by a moderator: