Champions League QF: Manchester United v Barcelona - Build Up Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by charlenefan, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Apr 9, 2019

TRUERED89 New Member

SAF always tweaked and rotated, it wasn't just 4-4-2 Yorke & Cole every game. Especially in Europe. We don't have to man mark and we don't have to completely change shape and tactics. But paying attention to the oppositions strengths and finding a way to capitalise on their weaknesses is never a bad thing, we can still play the United way!
  2. Apr 9, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

I really don't feel this Barcelona team deserve that much respect. I'd much rather we press them with intensity because they haven't been able to handle it in the CL in recent years. Unlike the Kroos-Casemiero-Modric midfield, Barcelona's has been rattled by the likes of Juve, Atletico and Roma as well. I fear we'll sit back and let them completely dominate while struggling to make anything out of the scraps. We need put the man on the ball under pressure so that getting Messi isn't getting the ball in decent areas or with time to do what he pleases. More than Messi it's the rest of the system that can be dismantled

I know many here feel we have to sit back because they're dangerous but I feel they're at their most vulnerable when challenged by a mobile and aggresive unit that goes at them.
  3. Apr 9, 2019

Marshal New Member

The defeat against Roma was a wrong mental setup and Valverde trying to just go through the match just holding the result, something that never worked for Barcelona that needs to always be into the match and go for the win.

About the defensive problems, they are obvious but it's also a choice of Valverde who this year improved with tactics IMHO. He knows he can't hide the ball all the time as Xavi-Iniesta did, since only Arthur and a bit of Busquets can do this for a while, so he decides to invite the opponents to attack and concede chances but at the same time they almost always lose because Stegen/Pique/Lenglet are playing great and then the counter with Messi/Dembele/Suarez needs less chances than the rest of the world forwards to score.

I think it's dangerous for United to push Barcelona too much and then get tired too soon. I think the pressing should be very selective, not easy of course, but do it when you see the chance to hurt, otherwise it can become a give and take, and you don't want that with Messi
  4. Apr 9, 2019

It's about balance. We tend to go to extremes. Even in the fag end of his career SAF nearly pulled off what would have a terrific win against Madrid at home (Nani red). We didn't play some incredibly expansive game. We kept them quiet and paid attention to their threats while focusing on our attacking strengths. That's important. We have this tednancy to sit back and shut up shop which hurts our potency.
  5. Apr 9, 2019

Casanova85 New Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    So, the Villareal approach, then.
  6. Apr 9, 2019

Trizy New Member

Statman Dave has a good video on how we should approach the game. He's an awkward fecker to look at but the man has a great tactical mind.
  7. Apr 9, 2019

MUfreak New Member

I reckon we are fecked. No?
  8. Apr 9, 2019

WhoAreYou? New Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Just a heads up: we finish games in the last 15-20 minutes this season, even more so then usually. You will get plenty of chances before the 70th minute mark, but when you start tiring and the subs come on (Dembele, Vidal, Alena, Malcom, Roberto) you are going to have a bad time. You really need to be fit in the last 20 minutes to beat a not-tired Messi and Dembele/Malcom running at the wings at you.

Also, before the 70th minute we wont get out of 3rd gear. The players are more patient then they ever have been. You might even be up 2-0 and we will still be cruising.
  9. Apr 9, 2019

WhoAreYou? New Member

Supports:
    Barcelona
    Will you be playing Dalot as wing-back and Young as RCB of a back three? Herrera manmarking Messi?
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  10. Apr 9, 2019

PoTMS Full Member

Herrera won't be playing. Young will play right back, Dalot will play right wing.
  11. Apr 9, 2019

Casanova85 New Member

Supports:
    Cruyff/SAF
    Any chance Ole might be reading any of this?
  12. Apr 9, 2019

Rory 7 Full Member

I’m gonna be on a flight during the game. Any tips for streaming it on in flight WiFi?
  13. Apr 9, 2019

Art Art the artist

If we play 3 at the back, we'll lose.
  14. Apr 9, 2019

haram New Member

You can cut passing lanes and force Messi into deeper positions. You can invite passes into Messi when he is in congested areas. If we press with intensity Barca can pass through us and find Messi in space. We will get tired by the 70th minute which is suicide against a team containing Messi.

We can zip across small areas and zones but we cant go chasing everything Barca do. We can win the ball in deep areas and launch quickly into Rashford and Lukaku. That is our best bet.

We need to learn from our mistakes from the PSG game. They were missing Neymar and Cavani and still cleaned up at Old Trafford.
  15. Apr 9, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

So park the bus in both legs, isn't that we were sick of under Mourinho? Better have a mentality to take the lead at home and then think about not conceeding an away goal, while controlling them at camp nou and play on the counter.

We have so many threats, it won't be wise enough to restrict ourselves at home, but also not dumb enough to go full gung-ho and get caught napping.

Chelsea were really unlucky at home against Barcelona when they tried to play and could have scored 3, but one error at the back cost them, their cautious approach at camp nou didn't work.

We have enough in our team to give a good game to Barcelona at least at home, better to have the intention of hurting them at home when we have the ball than total safety first approach.
  16. Apr 9, 2019

GM K Full Member

That's right. Good to just have a great CL night again. The odds are massively against us in this but football can be strange. I thought we were out against PSG but look where we are now. Win, lose or draw, I hope the lads will make us proud.
  17. Apr 9, 2019

SER19 Full Member

Barca away in CL this year.
    PSV 2-1 win
    Spurs 4-2 win
    Inter 1-1 draw
    Lyon 0-0 draw
  18. Apr 9, 2019

Look, it's not as if only one approach works against Barcelona. Fair enough if people feel we should sit back as that seems the safest bet. However, they can be overcome with a high intensity game. That doesn't mean you go start gegenpressing like mad from front to back, but more like what teams have done regularly to Barcelona in the CL by not sitting back and overrunning their midfield and defence through positive football.

So either approach can work and neither IMO is suicidal unless you execute it poorly. Even sitting back has it pitfalls in that we run the danger of ball watching and allow them to batter us while our attack gets consistently outnumbered. That risk does exist when you sit back just as that of exposure to space does when you play more aggresively.

It's a personal preference but I'd rather see us play with a positive mindset especially given we most likely need to win the game at home. And I feel there's a weakness in this Barcelona team if you really have a go at them. But I have no doubt we will approach the game in your preferred option.
  19. Apr 9, 2019

Do you recall how Inter and Lyon set up btw?
  20. Apr 9, 2019

Agree. We need to win the home leg. Every team isn't going to be susceptible to crumbling at home like PSG did.
  21. Apr 9, 2019

haram New Member

You have to firstly consider the quality of our players. Defending well and blocking passing lanes does not mean we cannot go at them. We just have to go at them in a specific way. They have weaknesses in their defence of course but you can still exploit that defending in a compact way. You can still have a positive mindset. We have powerful weapons in Rashford, Pogba and Lukaku that Barca will be very wary of.
  22. Apr 9, 2019

gerdm07 Full Member

1-3. I hope I'm wrong but they are just better in so many ways. I see Messi scoring a couple tomorrow and we get one on the counter. I think Messi is on a mission this year.
  23. Apr 9, 2019

haram New Member

Even in the Lyon vs Barca game, around 5 minutes in the commentator says Lyon need to play it longer because they keep getting the ball pinched off them by Barca.

10 minutes into the Athletic Bilbao game the commentator points out that Athletic do not normally play in this way, that they usually use a high press. They do later press a bit higher but there are clear examples throughout the game where you see the 442 shape defending trying to cut passing lanes. The long ball into Inaki Williams and Raul Garcia is available and they aren't afraid to hit it.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  24. Apr 9, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

It's quality of execution and the mentality which matters, not just the quality of players. We have enough quality to take the game to Barcelona at least for first 70 mins, then we should be looking to not concede an away goal. Barcelona are not as fast a counter attacking side as psg, they are more creative than being direct so with good energy and workrate we should be able to reorganize in time.
  25. Apr 9, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

De gea is capable of blocking messi's shots.
  26. Apr 9, 2019

JJ12 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Wheres the geezer who does the conference transcript? How dare he have other things going on in his life!
  27. Apr 9, 2019

haram New Member

Depends what you mean by taking the game to Barcelona.
  28. Apr 9, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

Believe in your quality with the ball and have a decent at, attacking positive outlook. Peg them back, force them to defend and put enough pressure. Press from the front.
  29. Apr 9, 2019

haram New Member

Of course there will be moments where Barca fall into a shape when we manage to retain possession. If the long ball into Lukaku and Rashford is on we need to hit it though. We will press in small bursts but we will have to be disciplined in our positions.
  30. Apr 9, 2019

Yes we can be threatening while sitting back as we can be while playing with a little more pro-activeness. Both plans can go awry as well. It's all about execution. Our players of course have to be considered but I think we've got the players for either plan to work but it's about how well drilled that is and of course you do need Barca to not be at their best.
  31. Apr 9, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

I think we should play Rashford and Martial as split strikers. Lukaku's hold up play and intelligence will be exposed big time vs technically superior players. He never puts his physicality to good use with his poor movements.
  32. Apr 9, 2019

haram New Member

Last time we played Lukaku and Rashford up top against technically superior players we won 3-1 and that was also deploying defensive tactics. His movement is better than Martial's anyway.
  33. Apr 9, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

We have subs as well:D.
  34. Apr 9, 2019

haram New Member

It depends what you mean. Of course we are not just going to defend the whole time, but once Barca get out of their first phase we will probably have two lines of 4 blocking passing lanes and attempting to hit quick counters and launching balls into the channels. We may have short spells of higher intensity but we cannot do it for the whole game.
  35. Apr 9, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

We capitalized on Psg's botch ups, not that we created and threatened them.
  36. Apr 9, 2019

haram New Member

This is why we shouldn't be pressing too hard and tiring ourselves out. Save our energy for counters.
  37. Apr 9, 2019

haram New Member

Not because of Lukaku. Look at the quality of players behind him. Lukaku is the one that scored twice.
  38. Apr 9, 2019

Patrick08 New Member

Barcelona are veterans at this level, they rarely do silly mistakes, its good that he scored but I wouldn't start with him, may be sub on after 70 mins.
  39. Apr 9, 2019

haram New Member

I am very confident Ole disagrees with you.
  40. Apr 9, 2019

StrettyEnder07 Full Member

People seem to think that this is the Barcelona side under Pep, I don't think this is a great Barca side by any means, Messi aside obviously but we had the same issue with Mbappe in the last round, Suarez? Dealt with him before on numerous occasions, Dembele, yeah decent not much difference between him and Martial for me, at the back they look pretty average.

They should beat us yes but I don't think they are to much better than PSG, just hope we don't sit back and hardly attack, get at them, get stuck into them, close the space, press high, be aggressive and go for it.

Don't be stupid in how we attack but don't be petrified of them, everyone is expecting us to get smashed so if we are going to go out, go out on our sword, massive night get into them and see where we are after the first leg.

Hope to god McTominay plays instead of Matic tomorrow, need a bit of mobility to get in and around the pitch, would also play Fred and Pogba if Herrera is out.