Champions League Quarter Finals 2020/21 - Apr 6/7 & 13/14

Crustanoid

As long as the plastic clubs and Liverpool get knocked out I don’t mind who wins. Unfortunately with Porto bending over I don’t see it

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Kante, Rudiger, Zouma, Mendy and Ziyech began fasting yesterday. From what I know it generally takes a couple of days for the body to get used to this dramatic change. It's sunset in Sevilla 2 minutes before the game starts so there's a short window to get hydrated whilst the Champions League music is blaring.
There was something about Ziyech breaking his fast in the middle of the semifinal against Spurs a couple of years ago. Ramadan has moved forward a bit since then, so it's just before kick-off now. These players have been fasting their entire adult lives though, so I'm sure they have specific routines they follow every year.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
One thing I can 100% confirm will happen.

The Poch thread will be a blood bath tonight.:lol:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I am nervous as feck!! But I am that way when we play bad teams and Porto is not a bad team. They did not get sent to Europa league.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
I am nervous as feck!! But I am that way when we play bad teams and Porto is not a bad team. They did not get sent to Europa league.
Not sure I can follow you but not having Kova is a huge blow! Not sure I'd start Kanté when he's not totally fit for 90+ minutes..

And yes, Porto is by no means a bad team. They kicked out Juve and were on par with Chelsea the first leg - bar the result..

edit: ahh, some welcome banter. Not used to that stuff anymore (glad to tbh). But don't jinx it too much. United losing the final to Arsenal would be a huge blow..

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure I can follow you but not having Kova is a huge blow! Not sure I'd start Kanté when he's not totally fit for 90+ minutes..

And yes, Porto is by no means a bad team. They kicked out Juve and were on par with Chelsea the first leg - bar the result..
We are not playing the same Porto team we played last week. They are coming guns blazing with nothing to lose. To think this is a cake walk is just wrong.

George the Cat

PSG always mess it up in the Champions League. I thought Bayern would do it again but maybe it’ll be Real Madrid.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
We are not playing the same Porto team we played last week. They are coming guns blazing with nothing to lose. To think this is a cake walk is just wrong.
Agreed. I doubt we'll play as bad as we did back then though but them missing their firing-squad sure helped us. Hope they don't dive as much but I guess it'll only get worse. :/

RooneyLegend

Bayern are kind of CL bottlers aren't they? 2012 vs Chelsea? That one vs Atletico? That one vs Madrid when Jupp came back and now they are at it again. I'm sure their xg was crazy in all those instances.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Bayern are kind of CL bottlers aren't they? 2012 vs Chelsea? That one vs Atletico? That one vs Madrid when Jupp came back and now they are at it again. I'm sure their xg was crazy in all those instances.
in fairness no lewandowski this team and only two other teams can say they’ve won CL at least twice in the last ten years.

Having said that, I hope psg thrash them as unlikely as that may be

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
If Bayern don't advance like I expect then I'll open a beer and pour it down the drain without drinking any of it. That's some serious shit right there.
If it’s a Budweiser you’re doing the right thing

Lyricist

They are for sure.
2011/12 season round of 16 or quarter final vs Inter also, after having won the away leg and coming from a position where they should've sealed the deal in the first half of the second leg. They blew a 2-1 half time lead and lost 2-3 at home.
Then there's 99 of course.
Chelsea
Atletico
Madrid

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

That said in fairness to Bayern fans, you obviously stand a bigger chance to "bottle" when you get far so often over the past decade. Say they'd bottle 10% of their knock out games. If they get to the semis every year, there's always gonna be a game in there, where they don't take their chances enough, and then the opponent capitalizes. If they just went out early every season while looking second best in their first knock out round, they'd just be bad, not bottlers.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I have no way of confirming this, so take it for what it is. I have read that some Muslims that play for Chelsea do not fast, they give to charities instead of fasting. Again, I would not even know where to look to see if that statement I read is valid.

Last edited:

Blackwidow

If you want to know anything about Bayern's injury situation look on the bench...

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
STARTING XI:
Mendy
James
Azpilicueta
Silva
Rudiger
Chilwell
Kante
Jorginho
Pulisic
Mount
Havertz

SUBS:
Kepa
Caballero
Christensen
Zouma
Hudson-Odoi
Alonso
Emerson
Werner
Abraham
Giroud
Ziyech

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
That's a bold statement. Bayern tend to lose to the CL winner, Athletico being the exception and also a monster team in that year, losing to Madrid only in penalties. And since 2013 they have not reached at least the semis only twice. I don't know man, it's a tough competition and a bit disrespectful to call them bottlers when they lose to CL winners. To them and also to the CL winners.

Mr.Kaya

Huge blow for Bayern to not have Lewandowski ready for this match either. Might cost them the semifinals unless Sane, Muller and rest of the attackers step it up big.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Lewandowski, Gnabry, Costa, Goretzka, Tolisso, Roca, Süle all out injured
I get that nobody Wants to be second choice striker (Spuds have same problem) but once they lost Lewandowski is when they truly got into trouble.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I get that nobody Wants to be second choice striker (Spuds have same problem) but once they lost Lewandowski is when they truly got into trouble.
I think they would have been fine with Gnabry taking on Lewandowski‘s role, but alas... They also don’t have a Perisic, Coutinho or Thiago in the squad which were big to somewhat important losses.

mu4c_20le

Huge blow for Bayern to not have Lewandowski ready for this match either. Might cost them the semifinals unless Sane, Muller and rest of the attackers step it up big.
They knew he would be out last week, they'll be prepared for it. Choupo Moting actually scored last time as well.

Blackwidow

Müller has as much goals since 11/12 from Cl quarter finals on, more if you do not count penalties. I think that Gnabry as winger that is more a decisive goal scorer than Coman and Sane and Goretzka who is a big goal scorer from midfield are missed as well.

Boavista

I know Nianzou was injured and has barely played for Bayern, but wouldn't it have been worth a shot to start him tonight instead of Boateng? Definitely a risk but it seems awfully predictable that Boateng will be a liability due to his pace against PSG's forwards despite his experience and passing ability. On top of that Nianzou has actually trained with PSG, so that could potentially mitigate some of the risks of giving him his debut..

(I'm assuming Nianzou is quicker than Boateng, haven't actually watched him play)

RooneyLegend

That's a bold statement. Bayern tend to lose to the CL winner, Athletico being the exception and also a monster team in that year, losing to Madrid only in penalties. And since 2013 they have not reached at least the semis only twice. I don't know man, it's a tough competition and a bit disrespectful to call them bottlers when they lose to CL winners. To them and also to the CL winners.
The games/ties I listed are the ones they were the better team, played better football and somehow managed to lose or get knocked out. 2012 the literally whipped the floor with Chelsea. Atletico honestly didn't know how they got past them. Even Simeone knows it was his luckiest win. They did something Similar against Madrid although not to the same extent but they were easily the better team. We all saw what happened against PSG. Simply couldn't finish their dinner.

Not that they lost to poor teams (apart from Chelsea who were dreadful) but they had the better of those teams and it's odd for a team to play that well, with quality players and not manage to pull through.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I am worried about Thiago Silva. He made a terrible error on his debut and got sent off in his comeback game from injury.