Champions League Quarter Finals 2nd and 3rd April 2013

LoveInTheAsylum

Don't think the problem was a quality striker. Despite Bayern missing two of their best players in midfield Juve failed to dominate. That 352 system isn't suited against quality wingplay with a lone striker. They use 3 centerbacks against one forward and were outplayed on the wing where one player has to defend against two all the time or someone has to help out and the defense is dragged apart. It works well in Italy because basically no team is playing with quick wingers but I don't think it's a great tactic in the champions league at this level.

Overall it probably was a deserved win, don't think it should have been more than 2 goals though, after all the second goal was offside and Ribery should have been off. The tie is not over though, wouldn't be surprised if Bayern fecks up again next week.
I agree on the problems with the setup, but I think Bayern's pressing was so good that Juve badly needed a forward to hold the ball up and get the likes of Vidal and Marchisio up the pitch.

And yeah, the reffing was awful.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Entertaining game considering both sides were poor. Barcelona look so blunt without Messi, PSG could have gone at them more in the second half.

I like Ibra but he was poor today. He was miles offside for his goal as well, even worse decision than the Nani red card.

Alves and Silva were the two best players on the pitch tonight, Iniesta classy as always, Lucas looked talented.

Barcelona will win this tie even if they don't have Messi, but this will at least make the next leg competitive.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Because they are both significantly better teams.
Barcelona significantly better than Real Madrid ? A team that beat them twice recently ? League form and points gap will mean feck all for that possible CL match Sincher.Real Madrid is the team that faces Barca with the most confidence to beat them

Inspectah deck

Don't think the problem was a quality striker. Despite Bayern missing two of their best players in midfield Juve failed to dominate. That 352 system isn't suited against quality wingplay with a lone striker. They use 3 centerbacks against one forward and were outplayed on the wing where one player has to defend against two all the time or someone has to help out and the defense is dragged apart. It works well in Italy because basically no team is playing with quick wingers but I don't think it's a great tactic in the champions league at this level.

Overall it probably was a deserved win, don't think it should have been more than 2 goals though, after all the second goal was offside and Ribery should have been off. The tie is not over though, wouldn't be surprised if Bayern fecks up again next week.
Bayern is starting to prove their pedigree in the big games this season. I see them in the final, I still don't know how they aren't at least second favorites.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
You're being too harsh on Bayern IMO.
Really? I thought we played outstanding, best I've seen Bayern play in the CL in ages. Just think that we got lucky with the ref, so the result is fair imo. Our pressing was amazing, smart tactics, very well executed, never lost focus. We look far stronger than last season imo. Mandzukic was outstanding.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Fair result in the end. I thought starting Beckham was a mistake as PSG's midfield, although they countered well down the flanks, looked altogether too passive until Verratti came on. Ibrahimovic was decent, a bit clumsy in front of goal but plenty of typically slick hold-up play. Thiago Silva was immense, the best player on the park tonight. As for the penalty, Sanchez engineered the offence, moving away from the ball and into Sirigu's chest. But either way, it was brainless keeping to give him the opportunity to do so.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Barcelona significantly better than Real Madrid ? A team that beat them twice recently ? League form and points gap will mean feck all for that possible CL match Sincher.Real Madrid is the team that faces Barca with the most confidence to beat them
Sure, but their top level is still not close to Barca's, let's not forget that.

Real are right in it, of course, but they are not as good, and unless Messi stays injured, I can't see them beating Barca. The defeats will only fuel the fire... And bear in mind the context, with Barca pissing the league and the Copa del Rey a sideshow. Barca are far from unpregnable, but neither are Real, and Barca are more potent.

13 points ahead in the league, where real have lost 5 games... Come on now.

kouroux

Sure, but their top level is still not close to Barca's, let's not forget that.

Real are right in it, of course, but they are not as good, and unless Messi stays injured, I can't see them beating Barca. The defeats will only fuel the fire... And bear in mind the context, with Barca pissing the league and the Copa del Rey a sideshow. Barca are far from unpregnable, but neither are Real, and Barca are more potent.
I don't understand that, in recent years there hasn't been a classico where Barca showed they were that much better than Real when they faced them.

sincher

So, do you really think Real are as good a Barca?

kouroux

This season in the league, no they haven't but in the classicos they showed they had nothing to be afraid from them.If they meet in the semi final or the final (i have no idea how the teams are drawn), I think Real Madrid have as much chance as Barca to knock them out as Barca.

Same thing with United and City, there is this big gap in the league but it doesn't mean I'll expect United to be comfortably better than City in the next league game

sincher

This season in the league, no they haven't but in the classicos they showed they had nothing to be afraid from them.If they meet in the semi final or the final (i have no idea how the teams are drawn), I think Real Madrid have as much chance as Barca to knock them out as Barca.

Same thing with United and City, there is this big gap in the league but it doesn't mean I'll expect United to be comfortably better than City in the next league game
That's different, though. We have hit a patch of dodgy form, and not sure we will quite have our knives out for them.

kouroux

That's different, though. We have hit a patch of dodgy form, and not sure we will quite have our knives out for them.
Barca aren't in great form either so I don't why they would feel extra confident if they were to face Real Madrid, a team that's found an efficient way of beating them recently

sincher

Barca aren't in great form either so I don't why they would feel extra confident if they were to face Real Madrid, a team that's found an efficient way of beating them recently
I don't believe 'finding an efficient way of beating them' would have any bearing if a big CL game came along.

Obviously Real could beat them. But Barca and Bayern look like the best teams n Europe at the moment.

Aint gota Kalou

I fancy Madrid to beat them when they face each other but I think pretty much every other team in the world would fancy playing Madrid rather than Barcelona. Madrid seem to have the edge over them lately, and know exactly how to play them tactically.

sincher

I know where my money would be if they drew each other in the CL, unless Messi was injured.

Revan

Assumptionman
Really? I thought we played outstanding, best I've seen Bayern play in the CL in ages. Just think that we got lucky with the ref, so the result is fair imo. Our pressing was amazing, smart tactics, very well executed, never lost focus. We look far stronger than last season imo. Mandzukic was outstanding.
The offside was marginal and very hard to spot. Chiellini should have had about 4 yellow cards tonight. Don't think that it was that much to referee.

Anyway, you have to improve converting chances to goals a lot. I can see the same thing happen as last year, being the best side in the competition but failing to win it. But yeah, tonight you were amazing and I would really like to see a German final.

Siorac

No German final please. I have nothing against either team, in fact I'd love it if Dortmund won it but I hate finals played between two teams from the same country.

Real and Bayern are both capable of beating Barcelona, no doubt. But Barca are still the favourites for me.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It could be a bit interesting if Dortmund and Madrid make it along with Barca and Bayern who look very likely to progress after today because it'd mean that all semi-finalits can rest their players in the league and give their all in CL. Barcelona and Bayern have their league titles wrapped while Madrid and Dortmund know they won't finish lower than 3rd. No one will have the advantage of being able to rest players domestically over the reat, all of them will do it.

Inspectah deck

No German final please. I have nothing against either team, in fact I'd love it if Dortmund won it but I hate finals played between two teams from the same country.

Real and Bayern are both capable of beating Barcelona, no doubt. But Barca are still the favourites for me.
It's a funny one. I think Bayern will fare better against Madrid than they will against Barca. On the other hand, I think Madrid will fare better against Barca than they will against Bayern. Mindfeck of a statement there but I think there's a point there somewhere :lol:.

beergod

I thought the best thing that happened to Bayern tactically was Kroos going off. Pirlo couldn't get anywhere near Muller.

Blackwidow

Was a great match, but maybe they were even lucky that Kroos got injured. Actually they started really to own Juve then. Pirlo did not have one good scene with Müller, Mandzu and Gustavo somehow parting themselves the watchdog job and the defense just did not cope with the two wingers and Müller.

I think Mandzukic and Gustavo had great matches - Schweini and Müller, too.

I hope Löw watched this and remarked what mistake he made at the Euros... :cool:

Ribery - yes. But I actually saw this match critical with his temper and I saw Vidal going of the field with a red before the end of the match prior to the match, too. Ribery could not do much all match without getting the stick of one of the Italian players - mostly Vidal... But he should have known that before.

Kroos will be off for probably the next six weeks. Could be the end of his season as he will need time to get fit. Robben today asked in an interview why the idea with him on the wing and the shadow striker Müller is not played more as it always functioned very well - seems to be the best plan now. That is how Robben gets back to his starting spot...

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

I thought Bayern more than deserved a 2-0 win, it could have been much more. The game was fascinanting as Bayern just found the perfect way to combat that Juve system.

I disagree with the 3-5-2 system being inherently bad against one striker, rather it isn't suited to a play against someone like Mandzukic! The system relies on playing out of the back, with Bonucci playing that deeper sweeper role as the predominant passer from defence. Mandzukic just wouldn't let them though, where a normal striker would close down every now again he just took it to another level and they couldn't cope so resorted to hopeless balls forward. There was a period in the second half where they just couldn't get out, purely due to the pressing of Bayern and mainly Mandzukic.

When Bonucci did have space though he was shocking at times IMO, was really disappointed with some of his passing. Particularly in the first 20 minutes or so Juve were having a few decent spells as Bayern dropped back and he had time on the ball, but his long balls were appalling. Blaming the strikers is harsh because some of them were nowhere near to Matri etc.

On the flip side Bayern could play out comfortably as that narrow Juve system doesn't allow for the Lahm or Alaba to be pressured when they are in their own half. Lichtsteiner and Peluso couldn't move up to press them as that would leave Robben and Ribery completely unmarked. So you had a situation where one team could play from deep easily and the other couldn't at all.. Despite the tactics of Juve being based around playing it out from the back.

The whole Juve team was poor besides Vidal. Marchisio barely seemed to have a kick and that's probably the worst I have ever seen Pirlo play. Peluso as well just wasn't involved, not that Lichtsteiner had a great game but he was at least getting on the ball.

Sarni

It's a funny one. I think Bayern will fare better against Madrid than they will against Barca. On the other hand, I think Madrid will fare better against Barca than they will against Bayern. Mindfeck of a statement there but I think there's a point there somewhere :lol:.
It makes sense though, on the evidence of previous games Bayern could well beat Madrid and Madrid could well beat Barca but Barca would beat Bayern easily. Then again Barca haven't really played Bayern since they got this good, I think the last time was 2008-09 and they weren't even close to this level back then (they won 4-0 in Spain and drew 1-1 in Germany).

beergod

Bayern are very good defensively. If they want to defend, I don't think Madrid can break them down.

Blackwidow

It makes sense though, on the evidence of previous games Bayern could well beat Madrid and Madrid could well beat Barca but Barca would beat Bayern easily. Then again Barca haven't really played Bayern since they got this good, I think the last time was 2008-09 and they weren't even close to this level back then (they won 4-0 in Spain and drew 1-1 in Germany).
Klinsmann time. Without Müller or Robben or Alaba or Neuer or Dante..., Schweinsteiger still on the wings. Ribery, van Buyten and Lahm are the only ones left.

And the 2:0 is probably better than a higher result. Higher results make you concentrate less.

--------

And to talk of a poor Juve team... - I guess Bayern did a good job in making Juve be that...

Inspectah deck

Bayern are very good defensively. If they want to defend, I don't think Madrid can break them down.
The reason I say that is because, though Bayern are quite tough defensively, they're still more of a possession based team than Madrid. Madrid can actually allow 70% of the possession and still pose a significant threat against Barca as shown in numerous games.

This Bayern team on the other hand has never had less than 40% possession this season I don't think. It'll be a totally different experience playing against Barca as they (Bayern) are usually the team with 60% plus possession of the ball 95% of the time. How will they react as a complete counter attacking team? It'll be a brilliant tie, I hope they draw each other in the next round.

Sarni

Klinsmann time. Without Müller or Robben or Alaba or Neuer or Dante..., Schweinsteiger still on the wings. Ribery, van Buyten and Lahm are the only ones left.

And the 2:0 is probably better than a higher result. Higher results make you concentrate less.

--------

And to talk of a poor Juve team... - I guess Bayern did a good job in making Juve be that...
Yeah, I said it was ages ago.

Revan

Assumptionman
So, Bayern > Madrid > Barca > Bayern.

I agree with you. A vicious circle.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The reason I say that is because, though Bayern are quite tough defensively, they're still more of a possession based team than Madrid. Madrid can actually allow 70% of the possession and still pose a significant threat against Barca as shown in numerous games.

This Bayern team on the other hand has never had less than 40% possession this season I don't think. It'll be a totally different experience playing against Barca as they (Bayern) are usually the team with 60% plus possession of the ball 95% of the time. How will they react as a complete counter attacking team? It'll be a brilliant tie, I hope they draw each other in the next round.
Right now I'd say Bayern are playing better pressing than Barca and are quite good at keeping hold of the ball if they want to. Not sure if Bayern end up with far less possession than they're used to against Barca.

Inspectah deck

Right now I'd say Bayern are playing better pressing than Barca and are quite good at keeping hold of the ball if they want to. Not sure if Bayern end up with far less possession than they're used to against Barca.
I don't think you'd have more than 40% possession tbh when they go in their ball hogging mode, especially not at the Nou Camp. I'm not sure you can go toe to toe with them with the passing game either. I think that'll be a risky tactic.

The safer option is to play on the counter. It has been proven in virtually every game they've lost over the past 5 years that bypassing their midfield is the way to go. See the numerous Madrid games, Milan showed this, Inter did, Chelsea did. All those teams never had more then 35% of the ball.

It's why I think Bayern have less chance of winning against Barca than say, Madrid, because your game is more suited to their style I think. I don't see your lot sitting back the way Madrid usually do.

Blackwidow

I don't think you'd have more than 40% possession tbh when they go in their ball hogging mode, especially not at the Nou Camp. I'm not sure you can go toe to toe with them with the passing game either. I think that'll be a risky tactic.

The safer option is to play on the counter. It has been proven in virtually every game they've lost over the past 5 years that bypassing their midfield is the way to go. See the numerous Madrid games, Milan showed this, Inter did, Chelsea did. All those teams never had more then 35% of the ball.

It's why I think Bayern have less chance of winning against Barca than say, Madrid, because your game is more suited to their style I think. I don't see your lot sitting back the way Madrid usually do.
Bayern has had more goals after counter attacks than any other team in Germany in the Bundesliga this season. Even if they are second in possession only to Barcelona. With Robben, Ribery, Müller and Gomez (or any other of their striker) they have exactly the right material for counter attacks. Take Alaba, too - he is very fast.

kouroux

So mes chers amis, which match are you likely to watch most ? Or do you intend to to switch between the two back and forth ? Personally my focus will be on Dortmund-Malaga and I will only switch the channel if I hear the commentator mention a goal in the other game.