Champions League Revamp Proposed - Copenhagen Access Model

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...er-League-clubs-forced-qualifying-rounds.html

Champions League revamp could see Premier League clubs forced into the qualifying rounds under new 'Copenhagen Access Model' backed by Ajax and Celtic
  • Premier League teams that qualify for Champions League could see a revamp
  • FC Copenhagen have suggested at least one qualifying round for teams that qualify from the top divisions across England, Spain, Germany and Italy
  • Ajax and Celtic, who navigate qualifiers currently, are said to favour the reform
A proposal for the Champions League could see the top four in the Premier League forced to navigate a qualifying round to get to the group stages.

The current format sees the top four sides in England, Spain, Italy and Germany secure direct entry into the group stage of the tournament.

But, according to the Athletic, Danish champions FC Copenhagen have put forward a proposal that would take away the free pass for those sides.

Both Ajax and Celtic, who regularly navigate into the group stages through qualifying, are believed to support the suggested reform to the tournament.

The way Copenhagen's reform works is that every side that qualifies would be 'ranked' from one through to 79 which factors in their results in European competition over the previous 10 seasons.

Once the numbers are crunched, the 22 sides lowest on the list would be entered into the first round of qualifying, the next 13 sides go into second round, 12 more teams go into the third round, 12 in the final play-off round and the top 20 on the entry list go straight to the group stages.

Had Copenhagen's system have been in place for the 2019-20 edition, all four English sides would have been included in the top 20 spots.

The idea is likely to be opposed by Premier League teams who will be against the idea of giving up their direct entry to the group stages.

The Athletic detail how the Premier League 'believes it has been assured by European Leagues' - the body that represents the domestic leagues on the continent - that the existing four spot 'will not be jeopardised'.

Places are currently allocated as per a country's club coefficient but the suggested alteration would prove damaging to sides like Leicester City and RB Leipzig of the Bundesliga, both of which have not got historical success to call on ahead of qualifying for the Champions League next season.

Leicester would be entered into the first or second round and would face a far tougher task of getting to the group stages.

Atalanta, who are closing in on a quarter-final berth for the first time, would have had to start their season in the first qualifying round.

The idea behind it is to take away punishment from sides who consistently qualify but see their coefficient hindered by poor performance from sides in their own country.

In 2019, Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli offered a reform that went the other way in a bid to see 24 of the 32 teams in the Champions League keep their place from season to season.

There would then be a promotion and relegation with the Europa League but that idea was swiftly rejected by peers.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Idiotic idea. Would not in any way improve anything

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is all faffing about.

Kick non-champions out of CL.
Prevent 3rd place group finishers from dropping to Europa League.
Make the Europa League a straight unseeded knockout.
Put more money into the Europa League. Give it a better anthem.
Reduce maximum teams from each league in Europe to 3/4.
Bring back the Cup Winners Cup.

Simple, I've improved football

Uniquim

I quite like the idea. Say Sheffield United, who have not played a continental fixture since 1995, and is newly-promoted finishes 4th. Why should they get to skip right to the group stage, ahead of a team like Ajax that plays in Europe season after season, and recently reached the CL semi finals. Most teams from the big leagues play in one of the continental competitions every season, and would go straight into the group stages anyway.

RoyH1

It's not a bad idea but the big 4 leagues are going to reject this big time. There is nothing in it for them. And without them the tournament would be doomed.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's not a bad idea but the big 4 leagues are going to reject this big time. There is nothing in it for them. And without them the tournament would be doomed.
feck the big 4

When did it become 4??

I quite like the idea. Say Sheffield United, who have not played a continental fixture since 1995, and is newly-promoted finishes 4th. Why should they get to skip right to the group stage, ahead of a team like Ajax that plays in Europe season after season, and recently reached the CL semi finals. Most teams from the big leagues play in one of the continental competitions every season, and would go straight into the group stages anyway.
Why the feck should they even be in Europe anyways?

baskinginthesun

I like this. Champions of any European League should be automatically in the CL. Why Celtic and Ajax still have to qualify is baffling but, someone in 4th place in the Prem is allowed direct entry annoys me.

arnie_ni

I would have the champions automatically in. Then rank the others in some shape or form and every single one of them has to qualify

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

This

PSV

The part they got right is the one about country coefficients, that's a big pile of rubbish I've never really understood. Rest I'm not a fan of at all.

On the contrary, I can't believe they haven't already adopted a model where the teams retain their spots based on tournament merit rather than individual league merit (aside from the two winners that is).

* Create an 80 team tournament (same amount of teams as today) with two tiers (4+4 groups of 10 teams). Every team gets to play at least 9 games (before Christmas), and then play-offs after.
* Have ~10-12 spots in the lower tier be up for grabs every year. That way we get to see the best teams battle it out every year, but have a reasonable amount of teams move between tier 1 and tier 2 every year.
* Only way to enter qualification for this would be to a) be a champion of a non-participating nation or b) be the best non-participating team of your league. You would separate these paths to ensure an influx of "new" nations and thus a healthy amount of nations participating in total.

I made a model using this a few years back that had an incredible butterfly effect where more or less every game mattered for every team (how it should be), whilst not being definite knockouts until much later in the tournament.

I feel games should be made to matter. It adds a lot more excitement. I don't want to see a team fielding their F squad in games 5 and/or 6 in the group stage severely impacting the group outcome.

Siorac

Didnt we change to the current format like 1 season ago?
Yeah, and it was a shite change, further cementing the dominance of the top leagues.

Of course, this idea is equally flawed: it just strengthens the position of the biggest clubs and makes it even harder to break into the true elite.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

+radom draw
+no seeds
+no country/political restrictions

I am boycotting CL until All of thes demands are met.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

The Europa League has been one of the most exciting things about modern football. People like to trash it if they're fans of a big club and they are in it but aside from the last 2 years I think the Europa League has had way more fun games than the CL has.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's not too far off the system that was in place and I'm all for it. It doesn't make much sense to finish 4th in the league and getting a clean path to the CL group stage based on the achievements of other clubs. It's not fair on clubs like Ajax who win their league, have to qualify for the CL despite having barely been knocked out in the semis the season before.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
I like this. Champions of any European League should be automatically in the CL. Why Celtic and Ajax still have to qualify is baffling but, someone in 4th place in the Prem is allowed direct entry annoys me.
Because Celtic shit themselves against the turds of the Europa.

It's far too late to go back to a "Champions only" format, but Champions (and holders) being allowed direct entry and the others having to do at least one qualifying round (one qualifying round for the 'Big 4' and more for the rest) isn't the worst idea in the world.

The group stages aren't great, but you get some exciting ones from time to time, so would leave it as it - it's not over the top anyway.

Group stages in Europa are a complete bore though - bring back the knockouts there.
Teams finishing 3rd in CL group shouldn't drop into Europa - you're out, you're out.

redshaw

Why not go back to how it was before with the top 3 going through and 4th place from the big four leagues goes into a qualifying round? Or at least it was something like that.

Dutch league winner should be automatically through as well

stevoc

Or just turned back the clock 30 years, i doubt any of those things ever happens. Though the Europa really could do with a better anthem.

So the champions of the likes of Northern Ireland, Andorra, Wales and Azerbaijan should all automatically qualify for the group stage of the champions league then?

Ajax and Celtic, who navigate qualifiers currently, are said to favour the reform
:lol:

I'm sure they do.

arthurka

Wow this is great.. Can't really put my finger on if it's great or fantastic

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Of course Spain, England, Germany and Italy would be against it. How many more helping hands can the big leagues demand? You'll never go back to the champions only European Cup, because with only 2 tournaments the Europa League would end up being the stronger tournament. But they can do more to try to balance things out better. The sort of teams that are dropping into the Europa should already be in that tournament to start with. It was complete nonsense that a team like Leicester can basically be given a group stage spot, and all the coefficient points that come with that, despite having done next to nothing in Europe beforehand.

If they made the split of teams and money between the CL and EL something closer to 60-40, or 65-35 at the least, you wouldn't have threads like that one in here talking about the Europa League like it's a mild annoyance.

KekiZeki

Yeah, or let's include more teams in qualifying rounds, like top 7 from big leagues based on ranking so Copenhagen would have to play a team like United or Arsenal to reach the CL, how about that?
This would never happen because CL would often be PL, La Liga, Italy, Germany, PSG and few other teams. If Celtic had to play in PL they'd never see CL, they'd do the likes of Swansea, dive in and out of PL, very rarely securing top spots.

They should all be lucky how things are and shut up about it!