g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Champions League Round of 16 (12th Feb - 13th Mar)

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Ajax. Fecking hell. I can die now, happily.
If we go out tomorrow, I'll fully be rooting for Ajax. Would be amazing to add a 5th European Cup against all odds. Truly; a magical club.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
If we go out tomorrow, I'll fully be rooting for Ajax. Would be amazing to add a 5th European Cup against all odds. Truly; a magical club.
Aren't they just. Ever since I started watching football around mid 90s they've always seemed to turn it on against the big boys. One for the 'weird feeling of football' but I've always seen them play better away from home. One of those mythical clubs that have special feelings to them. So chuffed for my mate who supports them and gone through so much pain following them post 2000. Massive result this, taking everything into account one of the biggest results in UCL for the last 20 years easily.

Bobski

That was beautiful from Ajax. In a fairer footballing environment they get the time to build on what they have achieved this season and perhaps become a real contender for the CL, adding an old flavour back into European football. In reality though they will lose their best players in the Summer and have to start again. Sigh.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Aren't they just. Ever since I started watching football around mid 90s they've always seemed to turn it on against the big boys. One for the 'weird feeling of football' but I've always seen them play better away from home. One of those mythical clubs that have special feelings to them. So chuffed for my mate who supports them and gone through so much pain following them post 2000. Massive result this, taking everything into account one of the biggest results in UCL for the last 20 years easily.
Yep it's one of the few clubs that no matter whether you support United, Liverpool, Bayern, Barca, Madrid -- you're always in awe of them. How they play football, the consistent world class talent they produce, their whole ethos. Fantastic club.

Tomuś

That was beautiful from Ajax. In a fairer footballing environment they get the time to build on what they have achieved this season and perhaps become a real contender for the CL, adding an old flavour back into European football. In reality though they will lose their best players in the Summer and have to start again. Sigh.
Here's hoping they scrap that naive, unwritten rule they've had of not signing players over a set figure for good. Did so when they signed Blind and Tadic and it didn't turn half bad, did that? Also think results like that can make them go up a notch in the appeal to new signings.

Irrational.

You're back!
Just wait until Spurs' next defeat, he'll be looking up flights to India again.

He's quick as a flash when they have a good result but somehow finds himself in another country when they don't :lol:

Yes Spurs have done well getting through, but you also have to remember this is a team with one solitary win in seven. It's hardly earth-shattering.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

He's quick as a flash when they have a good result but somehow finds himself in another country when they don't :lol:

Yes Spurs have done well getting through, but you also have to remember this is a team with one solitary win in seven. It's hardly earth-shattering.

Yeah, this is the thing. I'm absolutely buzzing about tonight and being in a CL quarter, but the bottom line is we're in crap form still and top 4 is looking like a serious battle to achieve, which with the position we were in not so long ago should never have been the case.

Definitely not the time to be cocky for a Spurs fan, we're in a precarious position with fixtures at Anfield & the Etihad still to come. Even our next game is Southampton away and they're in a relegation dogfight so it'll be far from easy.

Bobski

Here's hoping they scrap that naive, unwritten rule they've had of not signing players over a set figure for good. Did so when they signed Blind and Tadic and it didn't turn half bad, did that? Also think results like that can make them go up a notch in the appeal to new signings.
Possibly, though for real growth to occur and be sustained they need to stop being seen as stepping stone to a bigger move. I miss the old CL before the centralization of all top players into a small number of clubs became the norm. A club like Ajax should not be a glorified feeder club, with what they have given to the sport it is a crying shame how the economics of the game have sidelined them in this way. Little more exciting in the CL than seeing a young team with a bit of mystery about them pull off a shock run. Monaco had that a few years back, then lost all their players almost overnight.

Unfortunately it is all about money, Ajax can't make the big mistakes that the rich clubs can. A failed big money signing on huge wages is just a speed bump for richest clubs, for those on the periphery it can set them back years.

Tadic has been a revelation playing up top for Ajax, used as winger in England and was good but not at this level.

Cait Sith

If Zidane with his Voodoo magic were still there, VAR would have cancelled that Ajax goal and Benzema would have scored from that De Jong brainfart instead of slipping. That 1 in a 1000 freekick goal would have also never happened and Real would be through to the next round, despite performing the same.

Tomuś

Yeah, this is the thing. I'm absolutely buzzing about tonight and being in a CL quarter, but the bottom line is we're in crap form still and top 4 is looking like a serious battle to achieve, which with the position we were in not so long ago should never have been the case.

Definitely not the time to be cocky for a Spurs fan, we're in a precarious position with fixtures at Anfield & the Etihad still to come. Even our next game is Southampton away and they're in a relegation dogfight so it'll be far from easy.
You'll get top 4 mate. There was a time when you were in serious troubles with some key players out but you managed to get by a couple or more games somehow (around the Fulham away I think) when I thought you could lose out. You did win them by the odd goal and stayed afloat. You've been getting the results this season you don't normally do, which is a useful trait. With Kane back you'll make it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You'll get top 4 mate. There was a time when you were in serious troubles with some key players out but you managed to get by a couple or more games somehow (around the Fulham away I think) when I thought you could lose out. You did win them by the odd goal and stayed afloat. You've been getting the results this season you don't normally do, which is a useful trait. With Kane back you'll make it.
I think we will too, but it's still a relatively nervy position to be in right now with the form we've been showing recently. The team obviously have the potential to do it but we quickly need to get our shit together, because we really don't want to be going to either Anfield or the Etihad needing the wins.

Eric7C

It's amazing isn't it? It's like he can't see what a clown he comes off as.

On the game, I didn't watch it but just saw the match stats: Dortmund had 13 shots on target to Spurs' 2. Were they lucky, or were the shots not of great quality etc.?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Well done Ajax. What a result, one of the best Champions league performances ever.

Lyricist

If Zidane with his Voodoo magic were still there, VAR would have cancelled that Ajax goal and Benzema would have scored from that De Jong brainfart instead of slipping. That 1 in a 1000 freekick goal would have also never happened and Real would be through to the next round, despite performing the same.
Definitely true! :lol:

el3mel

If Atletico also managed to ko Juve, this will be the most interesting and unpredictable CL for a very, very very long time. PSG, Atletico, Barca, and City and Pool/Bayern don't really have much separating them.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Have Real ever conceded more than 4 goals at home in european competition? can see Ajax getting another one here.
I remember Bayern beating Madrid 8-3 aggregates. 4-1, 4-2

Madrid ended up winning the champions league that year beating Bayern in the semi-final with a fluke Anelka header

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Vertonghen has been on fire this week. Probably the best player in the world even, over the span of the past 4 days.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They have got 1 point in the last three games with Kane back and still have to travel to City and Liverpool which will almost certainly be non-wins.

Water Melon

Glaston is back, I see. The funniest thing is that we still managed to win things during our shittiest spell in the last 30 years, while he is still bragging about one off games. Let's see how both clubs continue. My guess would be that Utd will improve and Spurs will have another no-trophy season.

acnumber9

Nor do I. But some don't know how to give credit where credit is due.

For myself, I'm willing to give United credit for coming back from the dead to give themselves a decent chance of top 4 in the league.
Show us one post where you have given United credit for anything.

fellaini's barber

You're not wrong. Apparently Tadic said he couldn't stand the pace and intensity of the league
I knew that place was weird when Blind scored a hattrick. Credit to Tadic for that performance yeterday though he was fantastic, or Madrid are really really shit

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
If Atletico also managed to ko Juve, this will be the most interesting and unpredictable CL for a very, very very long time. PSG, Atletico, Barca, and City and Pool/Bayern don't really have much separating them.
This CL season gotta be the best chance for the oil clubs to finally get the trophy. Fingers crossed Barca takes it though!

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
He had just got a call up to the Brazil squad as well for the first time, which this injury has probably ruled him out of.
Ahh I didn't know that... Really sucks for the guy. There's absolutely nothing wrong with crying in a situation like that, and I doubt anything or anyone would convince me otherwise.

Unsure what game to watch tonight. The Porto vs Roma game is a lot more in the balance, but if United are going to go all-out attack to try & make up the deficit, it could be a cracker to watch.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
If Atletico can finish the job against Juve, it's their trophy to lose IMO. Their biggest issue is knowing that they bottle it massively against Madrid in Europe, so now that they are out, they can feel confident against any of the remaining teams.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
If you get PSG you will be in India within two days from the second leg of that game.
Just because United have fallen short against PSG doesn't mean that Spurs will.

I wouldn't mind us being drawn against PSG in the QFs - there are several tougher draws than them.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea

I wouldn't mind us being drawn against PSG in the QFs - there are several tougher draws than them.
Well you say that now but after you get rinsed you're gonna run and hide in a cave in the Himalayas for a month.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

Are there really? Atletico/City/PSG I'd all have beating Spurs over 2 legs pretty comfortably (they'd beat us just as readily, too).