Champions League Round of 16 (12th Feb - 13th Mar)

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Sometimes referees have to use common sense and be practical with the rules though.

Regardless, I think the rules on handball need some looking at, because any fan of a team who conceded a penalty like that would be rightly furious.
No they don't. Just because you are used to english refs bending the rules doesn't mean they have to. CL refs are very strict and will regularly give harsh decisions because they are trained to do so. That is the reality of CL football.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Eh? There’s a new draw after the QFs. So even if you get Ajax and it’s Tottenham-Porto, you could still end up against the winner of Atletico-Barca.
Not sure what your point is? I’m not arsed when the draw is. It doesn’t matter when the QFs and SFs are drawn, but as it stands United are in the QFs with three teams I’d like to play. We could have one in the quarters and the others be paired for us to be drawn with the winner in the semis. The CL is now looking quite open heading into next week.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
So Ajax, Porto, United & Spurs through so far. Seems like it’s up for grabs this year.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Thanks! To you too. What a night, and amazingly done by United!
Forgot to congratulate you. And there are suspicious doubts of my drinking activity because I said honourable club. :lol:

mvdk

Supports
Ajax
Hello United fans. Congrats from The Netherlands! CL Final 2019 Ajax-Manchester United?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SteveJ

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Guys, Glaston is landing in India anytime now.

Siorac

Hello United fans. Congrats from The Netherlands! CL Final 2019 Ajax-Manchester United?
I'd love it. But I'd be okay with an Ajax v United quarter-final, too; would be two proper games of football.

mvdk

Supports
Ajax
I'd love it. But I'd be okay with an Ajax v United quarter-final, too; would be two proper games of football.
Yes, and without Mourinho... Ok, United won the EL against us, but they played really anti football... Now it is so much better to watch United and the results are way better...

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Would be great!:D

Long way to the final though...

Congrats to you as well. Amazing performance from your lads last night.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Shit effort! Ole ole ole!
I meant that anyone could win it, United included. I think Atletico might.

Why did the referee play to 98 minutes? Wasn’t that much time delayed for the penalty was there?

Inter Yer Nan

Why did the referee play to 98 minutes? Wasn’t that much time delayed for the penalty was there?
Atletico was my pick at the start of the season. They are my favorites to win it all weighing up all the intangibles. I think the quarter finals will have five sides that can win it.

Djemba-Djemba

He played 9 minutes of injury time. fecking absurd.

I was losing my mind by the end, blow the whistle!!!!

RedStarUnited

The pen incident happens on 89:10, The pens taken at 93:15. There were already 3 minutes allocated for the extra time. So its;

+1 minute left from normal time
+3 minutes that were used for VAR
+3 minutes that were added anyway.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Unlike you I don’t see football as black and white. Yes what they have done on European football since Pedroto was their coach is more than honourable?

Do I like Pinto da Costa? Not much, but at least he defends his club.

I know what I am saying don’t need to drink to state the obvious.
The thing is you ignore a few things obvious in Portuguese football. Keep in mind you mentioned nothing about Porto in the CL alone because that I would agree with you and say they fly the Portuguese flay high in these competitions.

What you said was "Porto is an honorable club" If you know Portuguese football and especially how PDC operates you would know Porto are anything BUT honorable. They deserve as much respect in Portugal as Benfica do. None.

In Europe they deserve some respect. As a club? nah.

Water Melon

To everyone who is saying that Rashford's goal was not a penalty, are you guys serious. It was a crystal clear penatly, and the defender knew exactly what he was doing. For proper defending watch how Lindelof positions his arms while defending inside of our box. If you are hiding your face away from a shot, you turn your back towards the ball and keep your arms close to your chest.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The thing is you ignore a few things obvious in Portuguese football. Keep in mind you mentioned nothing about Porto in the CL alone because that I would agree with you and say they fly the Portuguese flay high in these competitions.

What you said was "Porto is an honorable club" If you know Portuguese football and especially how PDC operates you would know Porto are anything BUT honorable. They deserve as much respect in Portugal as Benfica do. None.

In Europe they deserve some respect. As a club? nah.
Well you can say honourable without saying everything done in the past was great.

By the way I hate Benfica on terms of football rivalry or Luis Filipe Vieira or Pinto da Costa as much as I hate our weak leadership over the decades.

Not related with this topic but you can just compare the people who work in the handball, futsal or youth football with the professional football and on one side you have competent people and on the other you have incompetent people.

Beside that it’s obvious I am mentioning at European level not internally.

Add to that the massive financial gap who will be created between us not reaching the Champions League for 2 consecutive years and them.

Of course we will need to sell players, now even Guimarães is putting us on court for Raphinha ffs.

By the way as I was watching Porto only watched the highlights from the other game and it’s incredible with so many players injured how United turned this around.

Congratulations for them and regarding PSG they seriously need to evaluate their competitive mentality on Europe.

Seriously Porto without money and players shows more attitude than them.

Of course now Porto reached their limit, the only team they can compete now is Ajax the others simply are another level for them.

Cheers, and next time at least let me be really drunk to discuss this.

By the way you are living in Portugal now or what?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The pen incident happens on 89:10, The pens taken at 93:15. There were already 3 minutes allocated for the extra time. So its;

+1 minute left from normal time
+3 minutes that were used for VAR
+3 minutes that were added anyway.
3 minutes used for VAR were the 3 minutes that were added. Should have blown the whistle around 97:00 mark.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Why didn't the referee video reviewed the penalty for Roma? If you do it for Porto, you have to do it for Roma as well. That's the season why i can't stand VAR.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I've watched it over and over and I honestly don't think anyone could ever convince me it's a penalty. I'd be saying the exact same if it was one for Spurs, for me his arm is in a totally natural position and there is no genuine intent to stop the ball. The rules need a serious rework in my view.

Going to go ahead and say this place would be absolutely fuming if the situation was reversed.
I fine it funny that you can't use your arms anymore with VAR, not even to project you.

Ramos

Who's the clear favourite now?

Barcelona, City ... Atletico? They've been close a couple of times, i can see them pull it off.

Anyway, hasn't been open like this in a while. Will probably see some match-ups we're not exactly used too in CL QF's. Can't wait for the draw.

Dan_F

It’s going to be a very interesting draw. I’d be shocked if there isn’t at least one English team in the final. Just hoping that Liverpool go out and city lose to Barca.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Who's the clear favourite now?

Barcelona, City ... Atletico? They've been close a couple of times, i can see them pull it off.

Anyway, hasn't been open like this in a while. Will probably see some match-ups we're not exactly used too in CL QF's. Can't wait for the draw.
Atletico will win it now that Real Madrid are not there to knock them out. That is the only team that can stop Atletico when they are in hot form.

el3mel

I can't see Atletico conceding 3 goals in a CL KO game. I think they will go through which will make all the teams pretty much equal to each other. No one will have a big advantage, not even Barca.

Barca qualification is still yet to be confirmed as well. 0-0 away from home is open to every and anything anyway. Hell if Lyon manage it, the tournament will be even better.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
fecking hell you’ve had a right good cry about this haven’t you? About ten posts about it in this thread alone :lol:

Simple case of I don't like where football is going if that sort of incident is a penalty, and will hate to see games in the future decided on decisions like that. The rules need a shakeup for VAR, particularly the handball rule.
I'm not arsed about the result at all, but I can't imagine say a CL final being decided in a similar fashion. I thought the penalty given against Croatia in the World Cup final was horrible as well.

Honestly, the main reason I'm so vocal on it is because I can absolutely fecking see us getting knocked out by something similar.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Simple case of I don't like where football is going if that sort of incident is a penalty, and will hate to see games in the future decided on decisions like that. The rules need a shakeup for VAR, particularly the handball rule.
I'm not arsed about the result at all, but I can't imagine say a CL final being decided in a similar fashion. I thought the penalty given against Croatia in the World Cup final was horrible as well.

Honestly, the main reason I'm so vocal on it is because I can absolutely fecking see us getting knocked out by something similar.
Do you think it was a pen?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Do you think it was a pen?
Well, from what I've read about the new rules, it seems like the referee applied the correct law .. so yes?

I do believe the rule needs to change at the end of the season though. I'm really not a fan of the new 'stricter' rules and do believe the 'clear and deliberate' rule should apply.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think it's a pen but it's not a clear and obvious error, I thought that was why VAR was being introduced, to eradicate clear and obvious errors.