Champions League Round of 16 (12th Feb - 13th Mar)

breakout67

Supports
Man City
One side of the draw will be easy while the other will have Juventus/Barca who will play the 'real final' in the semis.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
That's fine, I'd rather you than those teams either .. aside from United.

But us being easier on paper than those teams doesn't mean we'd be easy, we have the firepower to cause anybody problems over two legs, and this competition is all we have to play for. I doubt we will be easy for anybody.
Fair play.

In a dream scenario, we all avoid playing each other... Obviously, United getting Barcelona & City getting PSG would make it even sweeter, but alas, the chances of that happening :lol:

City/Barcelona/Juve are a cut above the rest of us.

redshaw

Bayern and Dortmund couldn't even muster one goal between them in 360 mins really. Tonight was an own goal.

For Bayern though, their attack has been quite poor for a few CLs post group stage now. They often just end up hitting it hard towards the box.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
They would have a completely different approach to the game though.
And so would Liverpool, obviously, but that would hardly changed the fact that performing at this level Bayern would always be unlikely to proceed. From what I saw this game (didn't saw the first leg) the problem wasn't so much the approach as it was the fact they were clearly inferior. Some games you get the impression if the team had been more brave or more cautious and it would benefit them, not today. They just had to play much much better.

Ban

I hope we don't get Liverpool. Not that I fear them but that tie brings so much with it.

The Purley King

Indeed, with 4 English clubs in the hat it would be truly remarkable if at least two of them weren't drawn against each other.
By my maths, there is a 22.857% chance that all English clubs play a non-English opponent in the quarters.
(Yes I am that sad I worked it out)

So more likely than one might think!

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Fair play.

In a dream scenario, we all avoid playing each other... Obviously, United getting Barcelona & City getting PSG would make it even sweeter, but alas, the chances of that happening :lol:

There is nothing on Barcelona or Juve collective performances telling that. What Barcelona has is Messi. Regarding Ronaldo I am not expecting every performance to be like yesterday. So yes it’s very open unless you’re a Porto or Ajax fan.

Morpheus 7

I'd like Porto or Ajax, can see two English teams meeting, statistically very likely. Don't want city or Liverpool getting Porto. No game is going to be easy from here on in. 5 games to win it, can see an English winner this year.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
And so would Liverpool, obviously, but that would hardly changed the fact that performing at this level Bayern would always be unlikely to proceed. From what I saw this game (didn't saw the first leg) the problem wasn't so much the approach as it was the fact they were clearly inferior. Some games you get the impression if the team had been more brave or more cautious and it would benefit them, not today. They just had to play much much better.
If they start the second leg with a 1-1 in the first game instead of 0-0 then being slightly inferior means nothing. They can shut up shop which Liverpool don't like to play against and Liverpool are the ones having to go forward.

It's a completely different game if the first leg finishes 0-0 or 1-1.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
There is nothing on Barcelona or Juve collective performances that tell that. What Barcelona has is Messi. Regarding Ronaldo I am not expecting every performance to be like yesterday. So yes it’s very open unless you’re a Porto or Ajax fan.
Barcelona have quite a few players who are used to winning things, & that's the kind of experience that might make a difference. Similar with Juve. I stick by what I said before this round of fixtures though - City are the out & out favourites for me. I think this is their year to win 3+ trophies.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Barcelona have quite a few players who are used to winning things, & that's the kind of experience that might make a difference. Similar with Juve. I stick by what I said before this round of fixtures though - City are the out & out favourites for me. I think this is their year to win 3+ trophies.
Honestly don’t see why a City vs Liverpool or the other English teams the difference is big. Let’s agree to disagree.

Trizy

Useless fact: City and Spurs are the only teams remaining who have never won the CL.

At least should Barcelona not win it, we'll see a new winner or a team who hasn't won it in +10 years.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Honestly don’t see why a City vs Liverpool or the other English teams the difference is big. Let’s agree to disagree.
This season they have 3/3 against Spurs & United, 4/6 against us (and it should've been 6/6). We knocked them out last year, but our front 3 was in much better form & they've progressed since then.

Man City is the absolute last tie I want. Not only because it'd be an incredibly difficult one, but also because I'd rather play a Barca/Juve if we're going to go into a game as underdogs :D

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Fair play.

City might struggle to get PSG...

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This season they have 3/3 against Spurs & United, 4/6 against us (and it should've been 6/6). We knocked them out last year, but our front 3 was in much better form & they've progressed since then.

Man City is the absolute last tie I want. Not only because it'd be an incredibly difficult one, but also because I'd rather play a Barca/Juve if we're going to go into a game as underdogs :D
Ok understandable that point.

Aloysius's Back 3

When i see him play he reminds me of a defensive version of Pogba - almost like the ying to the yang of paul pogba.

The dribbling and to out play a midfield is almost identical to Pogba but has the defensive ability that matches pogbas attacking ability.

Lyon - interested in Fred?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
When i see him play he reminds me of a defensive version of Pogba - almost like the ying to the yang of paul pogba.

The dribbling and to out play a midfield is almost identical to Pogba but has the defensive ability that matches pogbas attacking ability.

Lyon - interested in Fred?
Who?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Where did you see that? There was no contact with the legs, he clipped himself by the looks of it. At the very least the referee should have taken a look at the situation himself.
When a player clips himself like that it's because the moving leg gets touched which results in that. You don't need a big touch to trip a player from behind.

Kostov

When a player clips himself like that it's because the moving leg gets touched which results in that. You don't need a big touch to trip a player from behind.
Not every touch is a penalty and there is no evidence that there was even a contact. If there was it was the slightest of touches and the defender wasn’t even tackling only following through with the attacker. If they give penalties for every contact we should be seeing penalty 5 times a game and as I said there’s no clear video that they even collided. Something similar like the Arsenal penalty on Sunday, Moss has the excuse of not havin VAR, this one should have never been given imo.

Kostov

But I think that’s what it was given for. The incident was reviewed - the panel looked at the replays and determined that the referee was correct. The VAR panel will only ask the referee to review it himself if they cannot decide between them whether he is right or wrong (which is nonsense and needs to be removed - it must put doubt in the ref’s mind. The VAR panel should be making the call).
Considering the magnitude of the game and if they only have the same footage as we do, I’m not sure how this decision was made and for some more blatant ones recently they called on the ref. It shows inconsistency at the very least.

Kostov

ah well if every guy you spoke with says that it must be true :D VAR protocol says they can call the attention of the referee when there is a clear and evident oversight not a different interpretation on a foul that was clearly seen and judged by the referee and that without counting the fact that was a clear penalty anyway
Not a different interpretation on a foul? Well not every foul is a penalty at the very least, and not every contact is a foul. If that was a clear cut penalty than they can scrap up the VAR and refs can give penalties for every dive or contact in the box.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not every touch is a penalty and there is no evidence that there was even a contact. If there was it was the slightest of touches and the defender wasn’t even tackling only following through with the attacker. If they give penalties for every contact we should be seeing penalty 5 times a game and as I said there’s no clear video that they even collided. Something similar like the Arsenal penalty on Sunday, Moss has the excuse of not havin VAR, this one should have never been given imo.
It's contact that causes him to fall, it's a trip. Bernadeschi is always going to fall over because of that touch, that's why it's a foul. And yes there's evidence, you see it best from the angle that's from the same side as the goal.

3 other refs (VAR) viewed the foul over and over from every angle (not all are shown on TV) and came to the same conclution as the ref did in real time. If that's not enough for you, you can read Correa's expression after he trips Bernadeschi. Correa is a clever dribbler, he know what he did. It doesn't matter that it wasn't intentional, he ran to close to him from behind and therefor tripped him.

This kind of trip isn't always a foul because like you said, not every touch is a foul. In our match Cavani went down in the penalty area and didn't give a pen. The reason was that he wasn't at any speed and therefor this touch wasn't enough to trip him as you can see by how he fell (he threw himself down almost a second later). Bernadeschi is sprinting so it's easier to trip him.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
2008-09: Barca beats Lyon in R16 after first leg draw. Real Madrid knocked out in R16. 4 English teams in QF.

2018-19: Barca beats Lyon in R16 after first leg draw. Real Madrid knocked out in R16. 4 English teams in QF first time since 2008-09.

;)

CognitiveNeuro

How many teams beat Juve and PSG on their own patch?
I mean I'm pretty sure Liverpool beat Real Madrid, Barcelona, Deportivo (when they were good), Atletico, Inter Milan, Roma, Bayern, Leverkusen at their own stadiums in recent times.

That's literally the most successful clubs in Spain, Italy and Germany. The only other teams not included were Juventus and Dortmund and they drew at those two stadiums. (They never played AC Milan in a knockout round).

That's astounding actually considering playing away in Europe is really hard and Liverpool have barely won anything recently. It makes you wonder why their record in Europe is so good.

2012 final!
Oh right. That's true but was really talking about knockout rounds, not finals but good answer.

Member 114837

We beat you 4-1 and drew 2-2 last season, and you only won this season because the ref was blind, I think the season before we drew both fixtures? Hardly 'getting the better' of us, is it?

You'd be favourites against us, but we wouldn't be an 'easy' fixture for you, and it's downright arrogant to suggest we would. Especially since we'd have it all to play for whereas you still have a league to focus on.
The season before was 1-1 at WHL and 2-0 at anfield. And also a 2-1 League cup win in a match between two reserve squads.

But I agree with your point that it is delusional to count out Spurs.

P.S: Regarding the referee, if you think this years 2-1 win was undeserved, then so was the 2-2 last year.

Member 114837

Great result. Not sure how it’ll impact our remaining league games but we’ll see.

I really don’t want another English side but it’s obviously going to be United isn’t it.
Might be City again, but this time they are hugely favorite.