Champions League Round of 16 (14th Feb - 15th Mar)

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He misjudged a cross - but other than that he was pretty decent wouldn't you say? Portugal should have expected to score more than zero goals against Morocco...
Nope. He also did errors against Ghana. There was always a feeling of insecurity with Costa in goal during the world cup. I will give him the benefit of the doubt since he's young and it was his first major competition so I wouldn't drop him yet.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leipzig playing without their best attacker and dominating City in the second half. What does that say about the leagues? Someone enlighten me!

cyberman

RBL finally waking up. It takes teams an entire half to realise they shouldn’t be scared of pressing this City side

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
If an argument is made for the best team in the PL to beat the rest of Europe in one off or 2 legged tie, I could understand it. However those midtable PL teams are just as good/bad as the rest of Europe's. What they've been doing in European competition for years proves that
That's my point, their mid table teams aren't better than midtable teams in other leagues...what those teams have is more expensive players, especially cause these teams tend to have more british players than the top teams, and these are usually more expensive than a foreigner.

Charlie Foley

Good ball through by Dom. the right back needs to take a touch there and then hit it, instead of letting it roll onto his right foot to hit first time

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Why are Inter so poor? I can see Porto getting a result this way. It will be difficult for Inter to get something at Porto, they are very strong at home.

ti vu

That was never an issue for Serie A teams in 80s and 90s.
Competitive league doesn't have to be throw away games in Europe.

What PL has is more expensive players that aren't necessarily better, except the ones at top 3 teams, than players in other leagues, especially considering that they bring these exact same players literally from Bundesliga,La Liga, and Ligue 1.
While Serie A was as competitive if not even fiercer at the top end of the table back in the day, the lower end of the table was less a banana skin because unless being invested privately, or some how got a golden generation from the youth system, it was difficult to break rank because media payment was poor, back then and even now. It's more difficult to get transfer through, so the investors wouldn't pick a team like City. Instead, they need to pick a team that's already have some sort of attraction/a decent base rosters.

Serie A might be attractive, but without open transfer policy, the teams at the bottom didn't have resource, and freedom to transform themselves and being a nuisance.

Serie A during 80s, 90s and early 2000s was a 16 or 18 team league. So they played less game. The 20 team league system was only reestablished from 2004. Also for the large part of Serie A super league era was under 2 point per victory system. Teams were even more pragmatic.

Basically, played fewer games in a season, less banana skins, less stamina demanding; so they didn't lose focus in Europe (also fewer games in European competitions) with adequate investment

Last edited:

kidbob

City make Haaland look terrible. They way they play really makes him look like a run of the mill player. Less involved than Weghorst is for us, even in the 1st half when they dominated.

cyberman

Haaland really doesn’t get that many chances anymore. Which shouldn’t happen in this City side, if he were anywhere mortal with his finishing he shouldn’t have a fraction of the goals he’s had so far

cyberman

Leipzig playing without their best attacker and dominating City in the second half. What does that say about the leagues? Someone enlighten me!
You may want to see some of Citys struggles this season against actual mid table EPL sides?!

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Conceição? The story here in Portugal is that he hasn't been that good so far. Surprised you mentioned him.
He was grossly ignored by Schreuder, by far the worst Ajax coach ever, but still showed extreme potential when he did get his minutes. He was a little underwhelming the last few matches under Heitinga but I see a bright future for him if given the time and the right trainer.

cyberman

City are a fraction of what they used to be.
We have every chance of catching this City side

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Deserved for Leipzig.

This 2nd half is the total opposite of the first...sometimes football is just strange