Champions League Round of 16 (18th Feb - 8th Aug)

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
In terms of football Liverpool play? That’s a narrow criterion with which to form a judgement. It’s not a limiting judgement as to which team is actually better. More aesthetically pleasing?

Furthermore, those Chelsea and Arsenal sides were far less productive in front of goal - Liverpool are about ten goals from matching them in February.

But if that’s what you think fair enough.
In a 2 leg series all those teams would beat this Liverpool side 8/10 times. Especially Mourinho Chelsea teams and the 07-08 United team.

Liverpool are good but at the same time this league is piss easy right now. Chelsea are a shadow of what they used to be, United same, Arsenal is even worse then the top 4 arsenal teams, spurs are worse and there ceiling is not that high and then City the only true threat is a injury plagued team.

You gotta take all these things into context man.

Thisistheone

United's 07/08 side, Arsenal's 03/04 side, United's treble winning side, Chelsea's 04-06 side under Mourinho & City in 17/18 are all better than this seasons Liverpool imo. I can't comment on United's earlier PL winning sides because I didn't really follow football back then.

In terms of the football we play, we're not better than any of the sides I listed above.
I think the Utd double winners of 1994 were better as well. Absolutely amazing team. But thats just me.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I think the Utd double winners of 1994 were better as well. Absolutely amazing team. But thats just me.
Yeah I've heard that side was very good. I think we're better than Leicester & Blackburn plus a couple of the United sides here and there. We're probably better than Chelsea of 16/17 or maybe equivalent to them? City of 13/14 scored over 100 goals and battered a number of teams so it's hard to really claim that we're better than them, maybe more solid.

It's a hard thing to work out because there are a number of factors. Individual quality, style of play, defensive numbers, strength of the league etc.

Righteous Steps

United's 07/08 side, Arsenal's 03/04 side, United's treble winning side, Chelsea's 04-06 side under Mourinho & City in 17/18 are all better than this seasons Liverpool imo. I can't comment on United's earlier PL winning sides because I didn't really follow football back then.

In terms of the football we play, we're not better than any of the sides I listed above.
Mourinho Chelsea did not play great football.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Footballs changed so much in such a small amount of time. The way the top teams can sustain the press now all over the pitch I don't think was a thing 15 years ago.

Righteous Steps

Footballs changed so much in such a small amount of time. The way the top teams can sustain the press now all over the pitch I don't think was a thing 15 years ago.
Really? I haven’t seen one, everybody presses in phases.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Mourinho Chelsea did not play great football.
They were better than people gave them credit for and picked up 95 points in 04/05, then 91 in 05/06. In those two seasons they only conceded a total of 37 goals in 76 league games and scored a respectable 72 goals in both seasons. They were a great side.

Thisistheone

Yeah I've heard that side was very good. I think we're better than Leicester & Blackburn plus a couple of the United sides here and there. We're probably better than Chelsea of 16/17 or maybe equivalent to them? City of 13/14 scored over 100 goals and battered a number of teams so it's hard to really claim that we're better than them, maybe more solid.

It's a hard thing to work out because there are a number of factors. Individual quality, style of play, defensive numbers, strength of the league etc.
Agree, it's very hard to work out. Points tally's mean nothing. Mourinho's Utd got more points than the 1999 side.

Righteous Steps

They were better than people gave them credit for and picked up 95 points in 04/05, then 91 in 05/06. In those two seasons they only conceded a total of 37 goals in 76 league games and scored a respectable 72 goals in both seasons. They were a great side.
So what are you talking about quality of football or teams, because this Liverpool teams will better that points tally plus win the CL which that Chelsea side never did.

The only teams you can argue were better is the United treble winning team and the 07/08 team imo, because they both attained European greatness, if were talking about quality of football then the Arsenal and City teams enter the conversation, not Chelsea.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
So what are you talking about quality of football or teams, because this Liverpool teams will better that points tally plus win the CL which that Chelsea side never did.

The only teams you can argue were better is the United treble winning team and the 07/08 team imo, because they both attained European greatness, if were talking about quality of football then the Arsenal and City teams enter the conversation, not Chelsea.
Well in 04/05 Chelsea won the league with 95 points conceding only 15 goals. They kept 25 clean sheets, won 15 of their 19 away games, only conceded 9 goals away from home all season and lost one game all season as well.

If you compare our results with theirs I would say that their's look more impressive. More 3/4 goal wins than we have and they probably conceded fewer clear cut chances per game meaning that they were controlling matches better than we were.

They were a very good side.

Stocar

I think this Liverpool side are better than Chelsea 2004-06. More versatility and fine tuning in attacking phase, while Chelsea were more of a reactive team.

When it comes to best EPL sides, for me it's between United 2007-2009 (for individual quality and strength of character) and City 2017-2019 (for sheer quality of football on display).

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I meant 3-0 ahead in the tie, not the game itself, obviously.

In any case, beds were shat in. It wasn't pretty.
Haha no it wasn’t

My therapist says I’m getting better by the day though. Baby steps!

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
So, how many are Leipzig beating Tottenham by tonight?

:drool:
Reckon Spurs will struggle without Kane & Son but aren't Leipzig a bit shaky at the back? Heard they were playing full backs in a back three or something?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Reckon Spurs will struggle without Kane & Son but aren't Leipzig a bit shaky at the back? Heard they were playing full backs in a back three or something?
Yeah, it could get messy for either side tonight. Leipzig’s games are usually a goalfest. Looking forward to it; should be an entertaining game.

Gasolin

I can understand the giddiness at Liverpool losing. It makes sense. It’s almost like a win for united. You lot need something, anything to cling to. I felt the same way in the mid 2000s when united got knocked out by PORTO. Then it was MILAN over united the next season. Made my seasons back then.
What is a Real Madrid fan pretending to support Liverpool doing here, spouting nonsense? Liverpool is a s*** team anyway, benefiting from the s*** form of many teams in the league this season. So be it. But we don't care that Liverpool get eliminated or not, they will eliminate themselves due to the lack of real quality in the squad and only relying on full backs to create. So sod off mate.

Hercules

What is a Real Madrid fan pretending to support Liverpool doing here, spouting nonsense? Liverpool is a s*** team anyway, benefiting from the s*** form of many teams in the league this season. So be it. But we don't care that Liverpool get eliminated or not, they will eliminate themselves due to the lack of real quality in the squad and only relying on full backs to create. So sod off mate.
I'm United through and through and I'm pretty sure he is a Liverpool fan, we'd like Liverpool to be eliminated but come on, what you said is all because of how good they have been this season. They turned a loss to Barca (3-0), they are supposed to feel optimistic

bucky

Will be interesting to see how they do without Upamecano, Konate and Orban.

acnumber9

I know it’s not Champions League but it looks like the City fans have fecked off to support somebody else already.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Will be interesting to see how they do without Upamecano, Konate and Orban.
Let alone will they lack the defensive soundness of those three, but also miss on the attacking brought about by Halstenberg and Klosterman on the wings

bucky

Let alone will they lack the defensive soundness of those three, but also miss on the attacking brought about by Halstenberg and Klosterman on the wings
I think Mukiele is better going forward than Klostermann. Angelino has done well so far. But yeah, it's far from ideal for them. The Son injury probably came at the right time for them.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
Tottenham could have been about 6-0 down in the first 90 seconds, and that's not even a joke. WTF was that start?

Wayne's World

This is why I want Nagelsmann at United, his style of football is absolutely brilliant. Pace, power, pressing, creativity

mu4c_20le

Leipzig are starting at a frantic pace, they really want to settle this early