Champions League Round of 16 (18th Feb - 8th Aug)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I can understand the giddiness at Liverpool losing. It makes sense. It’s almost like a win for united. You lot need something, anything to cling to. I felt the same way in the mid 2000s when united got knocked out by PORTO. Then it was MILAN over united the next season. Made my seasons back then.
Okay it's not that important to us.

You're definitely one that won't last the culling.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Okay it's not that important to us.

You're definitely one that won't last the culling.
It’s true though. When we were down and out we relished united crashing out of Europe. Wasn’t much else to cheer about. But I suppose that’s a sin to admit to on here?So you like the whole Kumbaya thing? Ok. I’ve been here a long time and I believe this place will always need a little Ying and Yang but that’s your choice.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It’s true though. When we were down and out we relished united crashing out of Europe. Wasn’t much else to cheer about. But I suppose that’s a sin to admit to on here?So you like the whole Kumbaya thing? Ok. I’ve been here a long time and I believe this place will always need a little Ying and Yang but that’s your choice.
Oh I'd love for Liverpool to just win the PL this season. That goes without saying. But would your lot not winning the CL be anywhere close to a win for us, or lift the gloom I feel about our own club? Nah.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Does anyone really call them the greatest club side ever other than Liverpool fans? Seems a wild exaggeration, havent seen anyone comparing this lot to Guardiola's Barca, the great Madrid and Bayern sides, Sacchi's Milan, or Ferguson's treble winners.
I’m fairly certain that most of us don’t think we’re the best side ever. The media has been asking the question so that they have something to talk about now that it’s clear that there’s no title race to create some excitement.

There are several PL winners in years gone by who are better than this Liverpool side. The comparisons (if any) to sides like the 09-11 Barcelona side are simply ridiculous. Our football isn’t remotely close to that level of game dominance.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Oh I'd love for Liverpool to just win the PL this season. That goes without saying. But would your lot not winning the CL be anywhere close to a win for us, or lift the gloom I feel about our own club? Nah.
Maybe not you if have sense but others? Yep. Made me feel better.

Giggs86

If I had to choose one team to pull off an agonizing masterpiece display of shithousery at Anfield carrying a 1-0 lead it would be Simeone's Atletico.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
There are several PL winners in years gone by who are better than this Liverpool side.
Who?

Im not suggesting this is the greatest team ever as that’s a very difficult judgement to come to. But this Liverpool team have unprecedented stats (breaking records) and brilliant players - as seen in the recent Balon D’or nominations.

The idea that ‘several’ PL sides were better isn’t entirely obvious to me.

montpelier

Who?

Im not suggesting this is the greatest team ever as that’s a very difficult judgement to come to. But this Liverpool team have unprecedented stats (breaking records) and brilliant players - as seen in the recent Balon D’or nominations.

A hell of a lot more more exciting ones though, innit?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Hey man I get it...you guys will finally catch Leicester City in total premier league titles won. This is huge for you guys! I mean think about it..it only took you 30 (!) years! Based on stats alone there is a better chance you win your second EPL in 30 years Instead of 5.

Nonetheless I just want to be the first to congratulate you lot on catching Leicester City because that on its own is a feat to be proud of! You guys finally did it after 30 years!! More 6th and 7th place finishes then top 2 finishes in 30 years, NOW THAT is a hell of a stat.
I think us winning the PL is making you lose your mind. Football wasn't invented 30 years ago. :p

CognitiveNeuro

I saw a lot of Liverpool coming out with this "Welcome to Anfield" tag for the second leg tag but didn't they try that with Napoli?

Could really see Simeone pulling off the same tactics as Napoli and completely nullifying them. Really feel this game was a huge dent for Liverpool.

CognitiveNeuro

If I had to choose one team to pull off an agonizing masterpiece display of shithousery at Anfield carrying a 1-0 lead it would be Simeone's Atletico.
Simeone's Atletico is tailor made for this Liverpool at Anfield....low block 4-4-2, very well organized, aggressive, time wasting, diving and annoying to play against

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Simeone's Atletico is tailor made for this Liverpool at Anfield....low block 4-4-2, very well organized, aggressive, time wasting, diving and annoying to play against
That’s true, Simeone might become the first manager to beat Klopp at Liverpool in a 2 legged European tie. Hopefully a strong ref will see their shithousery for what it is. I think we’ll score at least 2, my worry is keeping the back door closed.

Lee565

At what point do PSG's biggest talent decide to want to move elsewhere because it must get old at some of having no real competition in the ligue 1 when winning the league every season and the constantly falling in the early knockout stages of the champions league which I think will happen again against Dortmund.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
At long last Klopp got given a yellow card!!

He was like a demented headless chicken - what an idiot! :D

Raj70

Supports
Liverpool
Hey man I get it...you guys will finally catch Leicester City in total premier league titles won. This is huge for you guys! I mean think about it..it only took you 30 (!) years! Based on stats alone there is a better chance you win your second EPL in 30 years Instead of 5.

Nonetheless I just want to be the first to congratulate you lot on catching Leicester City because that on its own is a feat to be proud of! You guys finally did it after 30 years!! More 6th and 7th place finishes then top 2 finishes in 30 years, NOW THAT is a hell of a stat.
I think stats say that after we win the league, we are the most successful club in England, with regards to major trophies won. That will do for me.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
In what world were Barca 3-0 ahead with twenty minutes?! Did you watch the second leg? Barca shit the bed but they were never up 3-0 with 20 minutes left.
I meant 3-0 ahead in the tie, not the game itself, obviously.

In any case, beds were shat in. It wasn't pretty.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I saw a lot of Liverpool coming out with this "Welcome to Anfield" tag for the second leg tag but didn't they try that with Napoli?

Could really see Simeone pulling off the same tactics as Napoli and completely nullifying them. Really feel this game was a huge dent for Liverpool.
Napoli wasn’t high stakes last chance saloon. You can navigate the group stages without high-octane football.

In the spring months Klopp’s Liverpool simply don’t lose two-legged European ties. Nobody has managed it yet. Napoli isn’t a measure.

CognitiveNeuro

Napoli wasn’t high stakes last chance saloon. You can navigate the group stages without high-octane football.

In the spring months Klopp’s Liverpool simply don’t lose two-legged European ties. Nobody has managed it yet. Napoli isn’t a measure.
Eh...you're really cutting down the data to look at. It's only been 2 years of two legged CL ties you're talking about with the only decent teams being Barcelona and Bayern.

Still, you're probably go through but it's not gonna be easy.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I meant 3-0 ahead in the tie, not the game itself, obviously.

In any case, beds were shat in. It wasn't pretty.
I think it was obvious you meant 3-0 up in the tie, it's the 20 minutes part that was nonsense ;) Liverpool got their first one back after 7 minutes and had equalized the tie after 56 minutes.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think it was obvious you meant 3-0 up in the tie, it's the 20 minutes part that was nonsense ;) Liverpool got their first one back after 7 minutes and had equalized the tie after 56 minutes.
Thanks for pointing out the specifics of that particular game, as if they somehow diminish Barca's bottle job that night.

They don't.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Thanks for pointing out the specifics of that particular game, as if they somehow diminish Barca's bottle job that night.

They don't.
I mostly felt like pointing out the specifics of you talking nonsense since you seem incapable of owning up to it yourself. Barca bottling was never really in question.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Totaly agree on the posters here on Atletico. They are a well organized Horror to play against. Since years. Will be going into the history-books as to most poisened teams ever.

DAK222

Supports
Liverpool
Eh...you're really cutting down the data to look at. It's only been 2 years of two legged CL ties you're talking about with the only decent teams being Barcelona and Bayern.

Still, you're probably go through but it's not gonna be easy.
Umm.. 1 Europa League campaign plus 2 CL campaigns. Knockout opponents included Dortmund, Manchester City, Bayern, Barcelona. Says nothing about whether we'll go through against Atletico, but it's a pity that you couldn't bother googling this before making such a confident assertion.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I can understand the giddiness at Liverpool losing. It makes sense. It’s almost like a win for united. You lot need something, anything to cling to. I felt the same way in the mid 2000s when united got knocked out by PORTO. Then it was MILAN over united the next season. Made my seasons back then.
The feck outta here. I've still got multiple Liverpool supporting mates obsessing over everything United do, and here you are on a United forum. You're more bothered about us than your own team.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I think stats say that after we win the league, we are the most successful club in England, with regards to major trophies won. That will do for me.
Still will be behind United in total amount of leagues won. United were unlucky to face the greatest club team in the history of football in 2 finals or they may have had 2 more CL trophies.

Nonetheless when people think “English premier league” the first team that comes to mind is Manchester United.

Raj70

Supports
Liverpool
Still will be behind United in total amount of leagues won. United were unlucky to face the greatest club team in the history of football in 2 finals or they may have had 2 more CL trophies.

Nonetheless when people think “English premier league” the first team that comes to mind is Manchester United.
United were 'lucky' that Terry slipped taking his pen in the 2008 final, or they might only have 2 wins instead of 3.

Also you could say Liverpool were unlucky to only get 2nd place with 97 points when every other season bar the last 2 in the league would have won the title.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
United were 'lucky' that Terry slipped taking his pen in the 2008 final, or they might only have 2 wins instead of 3.

Also you could say Liverpool were unlucky to only get 2nd place with 97 points when every other season bar the last 2 in the league would have won the title.
Then you can say United were unlucky city scored 2 goals in the last 3 min vs qpr or they would have 21 league titles.

The point is in ENGLAND the greatest club in the land is United by far they have dominated the league like no other and arguably have had the greatest EPL sides ever under the greatest manager ever.

I will give you this... in the CL you are ahead of United

I

cyberman

Did you see Chelseas equalising goal? Who got lucky?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Who?

United's 07/08 side, Arsenal's 03/04 side, United's treble winning side, Chelsea's 04-06 side under Mourinho & City in 17/18 are all better than this seasons Liverpool imo. I can't comment on United's earlier PL winning sides because I didn't really follow football back then.

In terms of the football we play, we're not better than any of the sides I listed above.

Last edited:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Then you can say United were unlucky city scored 2 goals in the last 3 min vs qpr or they would have 21 league titles.

The point is in ENGLAND the greatest club in the land is United by far they have dominated the league like no other and arguably have had the greatest EPL sides ever under the greatest manager ever.

I will give you this... in the CL you are ahead of United

I
Debatable. There was football before the PL so 19 leagues is the number. And 6 European cups. 6. So united might be more famous but taking into account the league and Europe Liverpool are clearly ahead in success.

SharpshooterTom

Can I just ask is when it comes determining 'great' club sides, which is more important - points accumulated or trophies won?

For example say Man City win another treble this year (League cup/FA Cup/Champions League), huge big IF of course, but if they were to, that would mean they have won 7 out of the past 9 major domestic trophies, yet something tells me this Liverpool team will be remembered more and by some as 'better', largely also because the media are quite favourable to them also.

Its a curious concept, Barcelona in 2008-09 'only' won the league with 87 points, far short of this Liverpool side, but ended up winning SIX trophies in the calender year.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea

Don't think being around at the same time as top sides is unlucky. Standards are raised by the best team. Liverpool wouldn't be near their points total last season or this season if it wasn't for Pep's City. Would have slacked off for sure when drawing games if they didn't have to win every game to keep pace.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can I just ask is when it comes determining 'great' club sides, which is more important - points accumulated or trophies won?
A combination of a few factors which should be taken into account: trophies, points, consistency, dominance on the field, aesthetically pleasing might be a factor for some, ...

Points, as a stand-alone fact, don't tell a story imo. Going unbeaten for a season however shows determination / consistency / resilience, whatever you'd like to call it, and that's certainly one aspect of being a great side. If you have no trophies to show for it at the end of the day though, you won't be mentioned as an all-time great side.

That's why you need to combine all those factors. City arguably had the greatest 2-year stretch domestically, winning the domestic treble last season and accumulating 198 points over two seasons. But now Liverpool are (likely) about to eclipse that points total and win the CL and PL in a 2-year span, which I'd rank higher than a domestic treble. City dominated teams more than we do now from what I remember, but seeing out all those close games in the league this season can't surely be down to luck alone imo, there's a mental aspect and attitude needed for that as well.

You can make arguments for both sides, and recency bias usually comes into it as well - I'm astounded if I see people saying that Pep is having a down year, they could still win 3 trophies and will comfortably finish second in the league, yet it's considered a failure already. To me, in my lifetime, 09-11 Barca combined all of the above and are the greatest club side I've ever seen.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
United's 07/08 side, Arsenal's 03/04 side, United's treble winning side, Chelsea's 04-06 side under Mourinho & City in 17/18 are all better than this seasons Liverpool imo. I can't comment on United's earlier PL winning sides because I didn't really follow football back then.

In terms of the football we play, we're not better than any of the sides I listed above.
In terms of football Liverpool play? That’s a narrow criterion with which to form a judgement. It’s not a limiting judgement as to which team is actually better. More aesthetically pleasing?

Furthermore, those Chelsea and Arsenal sides were far less productive in front of goal - Liverpool are about ten goals from matching them in February.

But if that’s what you think fair enough.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
In terms of football Liverpool play? That’s a narrow criterion with which to form a judgement. It’s not a limiting judgement as to which team is actually better. More aesthetically pleasing?

Furthermore, those Chelsea and Arsenal sides were far less productive in front of goal - Liverpool are about ten goals from matching them in February.

But if that’s what you think fair enough.
Wenger's Arsenal was better to watch during 03/04 imo. If you go through our games this season then I don't think you can find many where we've played brilliant attacking football.

We're a very functional side and were better to watch during 17/18 than we are now. There's nothing wrong with it. Klopp's made tactical decisions over the last two seasons so that we're in a position to compete. That defeat at Spurs during the 17/18 season was a real eye opener for him imo. I think the penny dropped that he wouldn't be able to win the league playing his attacking style all the time so he made us more functional than stylish.