Champions League Semi Finals (30th April - 8th May)

Just shoot me

Spurs v Ajax is too close to call, Spurs have already dicked a young attacking side in Dortmund but this Ajax side has just knocked out Real and Juve. Cant call that one

Liverpool v Barca I can only see one outcome and it aint good :(
Dortmund is not even close to Ajax in terms of quality. The only thing they've in common is young players and attacking football. I predict Barcelona and Ajax to go through. Spurs have been clinical this Champions League, but the two responsible for it are missing the first (and second) match.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Confident we can go through, if Messi is somehow shut down then it’s definitely possible. I actually think the key game is the 1st leg, if one team doesn’t turn up that evening it could be curtains.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
Bundesliga is a joke of a league now, German teams have been shown up over and over. And no, points totals do not make you an elite team, there's a multitude of factors. The way in which you get the points, quality of your players and trophies won to name a few.

Liverpool will have to upgrade their midfield and win a few trophies to be considered elite. They are close to doing that this season, but there is a clamour to call any team doing well at the moment as some unstoppable force.
I think even the most biased United fan would disagree with above.

Not sure how you define elite but if Liverpool are not, then perhaps only Barcelona are.

GNRfan

Supports
Liverpool
Same shite, different years. There were doomsdayers here last year saying the same for the Madrid game, that their legs were gone and Liverpool’s press would trample over them in a comfortable victory. Truth be told, bar a frenetic opening ten minutes, Liverpool rarely saw the ball. Modric ran the show and Madrid’s use of the ball rendered Liverpool’s press mute. Barcelona’s midfield (and team in general) are even better at keeping the ball and ensure you chase shadows.
You forget that we lost Salah. His replacement, Lallana, was not match fit. Emre Can was not match fit. Two keeper errors gave Madrid the game. We were a depleted side then, injuries cost us a chance to compete.
Madrid deserved the win, though.

Can Wijnaldum, Milner and Henderson really compete with Busquets, Rakitic and Arthur? Can that Liverpool defence curtail Messi, Suarez and Dembele? (Don’t worry about Coutinho, he won’t start - even if I agree with your assertion that he’d be prone to stage fright v his own club, Suarez less so given his mental resilience and don’t-give-a-feck attitude on the field.)

Of course Liverpool have the potential to shred Barcelona in the transitions if Barcelona cough the ball up in dangerous areas but Valverde and his players will know that’s Liverpool only major forte. They’ll be well wise to this and will suitably prepare. How do you prepare for Messi if you are Liverpool, however? Double-team him? He’ll just find the player in the better position. Go 1v1 and hope Robertson is up to the task? Robertson has been very shaky defensively this season and it would be a huge gamble by Klopp. Have no plan for Messi and trust your system? Pah! Messi will run amok in the freedom he’s afforded.
It will be tough, but they also have to deal with our front three. Our midfield has gone up a notch now that Henderson is playing further forward and Fabinho is our first choice DM.
Robertson has been superb in defence. I have watched every Liverpool game - I know.

Barcelona are favourites, but we have a good chance to beat them.

I was confident last May that Madrid’s quality would overcome any bum-rush tactic Klopp would conjure up and I have the same confidence Barcelona will do the same. If they can stop Liverpool scoring at the Nou Camp (easier said than done, mind, but not outside the realms of possibility considering we do it to Liverpool at Old Trafford routinely), they’ll qualify as I can’t see Liverpool keeping a clean sheet at Anfield if they need to score in the home leg. Barcelona will exploit the gaps they leave expertly. This is a side who think nothing of going to red-hot atmospheres like the Bernabeu and Atletico’s new place and dominating games with plenty of goals scored to boot, and people here are worried about the ‘Anfield factor’? Give me strength.

Our tactics are not just about transition. Sometimes we just bypass midfield altogether. Not seen Virgil's passing to Salah lately? Not seen Henderson's assists lately?

They are wary of us just as we are wary of them.

Inter Yer Nan

Liverpool are 100% getting into the final. The first leg showed how ropy Barca are and we fecking handed them at least two of their goals in the second leg. They'll be found out against Liverpool.

Man, this fecking season...
Barca is a different animal in Camp Nou and the first leg being there gives them an excellent chance to get their noses in front. Perhaps even 2-0.

Giggs86

Barca vs Spurs final, being as one sided as France vs Croatia.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I think who ever wins the Liverpool vs Barca tie will easily dispatch Ajax or Spurs in the final.

I hope I am wrong though because either Spurs or Ajax deserve to win it.

Ajax vs Liverpool final is my prediction.

Hoof the ball

Talking about teams not exactly setting the world alight in Champions League, the historical revisionists are en force in this thread, aren't they? Not a peep about Liverpool's very inconsistent performances and results in the group stages. Fortunate to even make it to the knockouts. Then they played a poor Bayern and a Porto team who were never a match.

They didn't dominate their group, but by all means, of course they'll turn over Barca. :lol:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I think even the most biased United fan would disagree with above.

Not sure how you define elite but if Liverpool are not, then perhaps only Barcelona are.
Shock horror that my definition of elite is very difficult to be classified as. Also any one that wants Liverpool's midfield over Barcelona's is a loony. Liverpool's strongest aspect is their defence, namely Van Dijk. Barcelona have several players that can be said to be the best in their position, or at least with a good shout of it.

Barcelona have one weak point in their team and it's right back, everywhere else they are stacked. They have got players like Coutinho and Dembele coming off the bench, one of those players was a mainstay in your team before he was sold.

The only other team that comes close to elite is Man City, but they have serious performance anxiety in the CL. Guardiola seems to be unable to get to a final without Messi, and none of those players have that level of experience. Despite Spurs getting the bottler tag, I actually think City are the biggest bottlers in the CL, because they make an absolute hash of away games.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That Son is one hell of a player. Glad he's suspended for the first game :)

This Tottenham team can't be underestimated. Really enjoyed yesterday match.

I think it will be a close game and could go either way.
Do you think it’s any benefit 3 of our starters are Ajax old boys and still very well regarded there?

GNRfan

Supports
Liverpool
Talking about teams not exactly setting the world alight in Champions League, the historical revisionists are en force in this thread, aren't they? Not a peep about Liverpool's very inconsistent performances and results in the group stages. Fortunate to even make it to the knockouts. Then they played a poor Bayern and a Porto team who were never a match.

They didn't dominate their group, but by all means, of course they'll turn over Barca. :lol:
Yep, our group away matches were poor. So what?

Elite teams in the past have destroyed teams in the group matches, then come unstuck in the knockout stages.

We have a good chance to beat Barcelona, but it will be a tough ask - let's try.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Do you think it’s any benefit 3 of our starters are Ajax old boys and still very well regarded there?
yep. vertonghen is literally the biggest ajax legend of the last 15 years basically. gonna be hard to bring out a proper hostile atmosphere against that.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I like your optimism but Barca weren't great in either game against us, their midfield will struggle with Liverpool's press and their defence will be run ragged by Liverpool's front 3. I can also see Suarez and Coutinho getting serious stage fright against their old club and then there's the fact the second leg is at Anfield

I'm calling it Liverpool will progress comfortably
WTF Barca DOMINATED United in that second leg especially. Liverpool were the ones who look uncomfortable for a majority of that second Porto match. Even Klopp said the scoreline was very flattering for Liverpool. Porto were terrible in front of goal and Liverpool to their credit scored their chances.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
I was having a discussion with my mate who said it would be ‘small time’ to boo Coutinho at Anfield but as someone petty I say feck that, it’s not like it can’t have an adverse affect on his performance ala Sterling so double whammy, let’s not forget him refusing to play for Klopp with ‘back problems’ :rolleyes:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
That doesn't tell the whole story at all. They were only up 2-1 against Lyon until the 78' not looking convincing at all, that was a shaky affair if anything. United were poor in both games and gifted them a couple of goals. Real has had a terrible season. And you always expect them to top their CL group no matter who's in it.
They looked great in both legs against Lyon. Lyon had a masterclass from their keeper. Barca had 25 shots in that first Lyon match.

Liverpool had plenty of losses in the group stage, and Klopp said how flattering the scoreline was in that second Porto match.

Barca have gone this entire tourney undefeated so far, the downplaying of Barca in this sub is hilarious. And yes, they got one gifted goal, but the other 3 were great and Barca looked superb in that second leg after the first 5 minutes. They played United off the park.

I can't believe we live in a time where Barca can be considered underrated. I think Liverpool may eke it out in the end but Barca (especially at home) have significantly better hope against liverpool than a majority in this thread are giving them.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Our problem is first leg vs Ajax we're missing Son, with Kane already out.

That's going to be a problem. We need Lucas to step up big time.
I really see Son being able to score on the break in Amsterdam if we're pushing for goals. I really hope we use your hampered attack in the first leg to fully push for away goals

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
They looked great in both legs against Lyon. Lyon had a masterclass from their keeper. Barca had 25 shots in that first Lyon match.

Liverpool had plenty of losses in the group stage, and Klopp said how flattering the scoreline was in that second Porto match.

Barca have gone this entire tourney undefeated so far, the downplaying of Barca in this sub is hilarious. And yes, they got one gifted goal, but the other 3 were great and Barca looked superb in that second leg after the first 5 minutes. They played United off the park.

I can't believe we live in a time where Barca can be considered underrated. I think Liverpool may eke it out in the end but Barca (especially at home) have significantly better hope against liverpool than a majority in this thread are giving them.
I think I've always said that Barca is great and that they have the Messi factor as well, never argued otherwise and I think both teams are quite evenly matched. They haven't been bad by any means, but I've yet to see a game from them where I'm truly amazed like I used to be before, or like I was about Ajax two days ago. Maybe I'm holding them against their own absurdly high standards and that's unfair, but whilst I think they're still a great side, they can be got at as well.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
yep. vertonghen is literally the biggest ajax legend of the last 15 years basically. gonna be hard to bring out a proper hostile atmosphere against that.
Yeah I seen his fairwell at Ajax and it was pretty spectacular, there is no club I have more respect for than Ajax. You never seem to resent your top players leaving and seem to rejoice in their success. Why is Verts better thought of than Eriksen?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I think I've always said that Barca is great and that they have the Messi factor as well, never argued otherwise and I think both teams are quite evenly matched. They haven't been bad by any means, but I've yet to see a game from them where I'm truly amazed like I used to be before, or like I was about Ajax two days ago. Maybe I'm holding them against their own absurdly high standards and that's unfair, but whilst I think they're still a great side, they can be got at as well.
I thought the second match against Lyon was really good, even though it got nerve wracking before Dembele came on, and the first Tottenham match where Barca won 4-2 was a masterclass and the second leg against United I really couldn't ask for more. They dominated them thoroughly for the remaining 85 minutes.

But yes, I don't think this team is as good as MSN era or Pep era, but I think they are much much better than last season.

Best of luck by the way! Should be a cracking tie

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Yeah I seen his fairwell at Ajax and it was pretty spectacular, there is no club I have more respect for than Ajax. You never seem to resent your top players leaving and seem to rejoice in their success. Why is Verts better thought of than Eriksen?
I mean Vertonghen stayed an extra season if not two on top of what really would have been expected. He did this for us:

captained us to our third star (30th title) after failing to win it for 7 years. Just completely embraced Amsterdam as his city from the day he arrived here at like 15. Hard to explain but his love for this city and this club are so massive and genuine, and the love flows his way equally in return.

Eriksen was also involved in those titles (assisted the decisive goal in that match you're seeing the final whistle of above) but left at 21, tbh a season earlier than I would have liked, compared to Vertonghen's like 24/25, and never really integrated as much with the club. don't get me wrong though, he's really well liked here, and he's always been very positive and involved in the club too (at the time and since leaving)

Alderweireld has a similar backstory to Vertonghen but never really ingratiated himself quite as much with the club/fans. That said, he has a massive tattoo of the Amsterdam crosses on his upper arm since just like a year or two ago, so clearly he feels more for the place than it might have seemed.

Sanchez was really really celebrated and loved in his one season at the club but then forced his move halfway through our CL qualifiers, refusing to play, etc. (eventually playing as a compromise if we allowed the move and then was pretty shit and we got kicked out by Nice). So I think some people might hold that against him here. but tbh, he isn't from the club and he gave us a fantastic season, so I can't blame him too much.

Last edited:

Sir Scott McToMinay

It’s all up to Barcelona now, Liverpool will destroy Spurs and Ajax imo.
All up to good old Barca, hoof it to Leo at Anfield.
Ffs remember them Scousers winning at Camp Nou with Bellamy, Salah is better than Bellamy.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I mean Vertonghen stayed an extra season if not two on top of what really would have been expected. He did this for us:

captained us to our third star (30th title) after failing to win it for 7 years. Just completely embraced Amsterdam as his city from the day he arrived here at like 15. Hard to explain but his love for this city and this club are so massive and genuine, and the love flows his way equally in return.
Yeah I love the guy “super Jan”, a very underrated PL defender IMO. I perfer an intelligent defender who sees danger before he has to do a last ditch tackle to stop it. Also he is much more aggressive than his nature makes out him to be. I honestly don’t know why there hasn’t been more interest in him, people seem to rate Toby over him which IMO is wrong.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Knowing Pool's luck this season, Messi won't even be on the pitch for their games!

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Yeah I love the guy “super Jan”, a very underrated PL defender IMO. I perfer an intelligent defender who sees danger before he has to do a last ditch tackle to stop it. Also he is much more aggressive than his nature makes out him to be. I honestly don’t know why there hasn’t been more interest in him, people seem to rate Toby over him which IMO is wrong.
no offence to Spurs, cause I am fond of the club, but I really did wish he would have made one last move up a season or two again to the absolute top top (Barca or something), because I feel his career deserved that.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
no offence to Spurs, cause I am fond of the club, but I really did wish he would have made one last move up a season or two again to the absolute top top (Barca or something), because I feel his career deserved that.
No offence taken, I feel as clubs we have similar priorities and views on football. There was rumoured interest from Barca but now we managed to keep him, I think if we had not have Poch he wouldn’t have left.

Stocar

They're not that exuberant team anymore, that's for sure. But I just can't see Liverpool coping with them, such is the difference in technical level. Liverpool can intimidate and disrupt a team like City, that will always try to impose their game and play by the book. This Barca team is not like that anymore. They are more savvy, and technically step above even City. I see Liverpool playing very conservatively this time.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
WTF Barca DOMINATED United in that second leg especially. Liverpool were the ones who look uncomfortable for a majority of that second Porto match. Even Klopp said the scoreline was very flattering for Liverpool. Porto were terrible in front of goal and Liverpool to their credit scored their chances.
Easy to dominate when you're 3-0 up on aggregate and our confidence is as fragile as it is

We basically gifted you your first 3 goals of the tie, Liverpool won't do the same

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
They're not that exuberant team anymore, that's for sure. But I just can't see Liverpool coping with them, such is the difference in technical level. Liverpool can intimidate and disrupt a team like City, that will always try to impose their game and play by the book. This Barca team is not like that anymore. They are more savvy, and technically step above even City. I see Liverpool playing very conservatively this time.
What?