Champions League Semi Finals (30th April - 8th May)

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The first goal we conceded was totally against the run of play and the second was a freak. We were doing well up to this point. We had one period of domination while Liverpool had two. That's why they left a better impression than us.
Completely agreed. I think you were also giving a very good account until you started giving away goals which, from memory, were not under particularly great pressure.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Barcelona Tie definitely not over. Going to Anfield will be very difficult, look what happened against Roma last year. Barcelona need to gain control in the game keep their composure, quieten the crowd and score the first goal. That will make it very hard for Liverpool.

Playing on the counter attack doesn't come naturally for Barcelona, they need a very high level of psychological strength to get through. At least they can make 11 changes this weekend though and be fresh physically for the second leg.
I'm really looking forward to the 2nd leg. My expectations are pretty low, so if we do manage to score early on then I reckon all hell will be unleashed on Barca. Not forgetting they do have a recent history in the CL of collapsing when away from the Nou camp. I'm pretty sure Klopp will remind the players of this. If they score first though, then 'all hell' will probably stay in it's unopened box.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You're right but now that Liverpool need to score 3 goals they can't triple mark Messi whenever he has the ball and eventually Messi will find space to create havoc.
Just like he did against Roma?

Oh wait

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
“Against the run of play”

Ever heard of counter attacking? Been popular since the 60s with Helenio Hererra’s Inter. Italians and European sides have been mugging British sides ever since. Lost count of the ties United “dominated” teams that drew or beat us 0-1 at OT then cruised in their home tie. Even worked for Cloughies Notts Forest.

Who knew?
Right, thanks for the strange and completely unnecessary patronising tone.

Yes I have heard of counter attacking, thanks. There wasn't much of it on display in the 2nd half yesterday though until that 2nd goal. After that, the floodgates opened and Barcelona could and probably should have scored about another 3-4 times.

The Italians have won the European Cup/CL the exact same number of times as English clubs have and lost in the final twice as many times as the English clubs have so not sure exactly who they're mugging?

Either way, I'm incredibly happy with the result yesterday.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I'm really looking forward to the 2nd leg. My expectations are pretty low, so if we do manage to score early on then I reckon all hell will be unleashed on Barca. Not forgetting they do have a recent history in the CL of collapsing when away from the Nou camp. I'm pretty sure Klopp will remind the players of this. If they score first though, then 'all hell' will probably stay in it's unopened box.
The biggest disappointment for me is that the Anfield game is almost rendered pointless by yesterday's result. At 3-1 or something I'd also really look forward to the game but now our chances of progressing are so small it's hard to really get excited about the game. Like you say, we might see a good game if we score early on, which we're certainly capable of, but I expect that Barca will know what's coming for them. If they survive the early storm, they'll most likely be alright.

Hoof the ball

If you watch that second goal Barca scored, Messi picked it up centrally and half-way into Liverpool's half, slalomed through the middle. He literally drew five men to him and that left Suarez open on the left. More than just a tap-in, Messi's influence prior to the finish was huge in creating space.

There was a bunch of moments in both the first and second half that easily could have resulted in a through-ball by Messi for a one-on-one with Alisson or broke the defensive line. Liverpool defended very well against some of this through balls. On any other day, half of these through-balls would have created scoring chances. It's a testament to how they defended in parts, but also to how dangerous Messi was throughout the game.

1:58
2:09
3:26
4:14 (Vidal should be shooting here. This is before even their second goal)
5:45
5:48
6:46
7:01

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Hilarious that result-wise the Dippers did no better at the Nou Camp than we did! That said, I'd be a hell of a lot more comfortable if Dembele had put that fourth in right at the end...

nycender

Hilarious that these are hunting their hopes on pulling a Roma. They will leak goals chasing the game at Anfield for sure.

Stocar

Liverpool did everything right in that game, in theory. I expected them to be more conservative, as that is always a safe bet in this type of game. If you're going to exchange blows with Barcelona at Nou Camp, there's no way you aren't conceding a few. But they went for that away goal(s), counting on the fact they're fitter and and more functional side. It could have worked, but it didn't. If they went with more conservative gameplan, they would probably have less chances, but maybe would score against the run of play. Knockout ties often make no sense.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just like he did against Roma?

Oh wait
Your obsession is getting weirder. Do you just spend hours of your day to downplay any positive Messi comment? :lol:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Hilarious that result-wise the Dippers did no better at the Nou Camp than we did! That said, I'd be a hell of a lot more comfortable if Dembele had put that fourth in right at the end...
Only difference being we can try again next season.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Your obsession is getting weirder. Do you just spend hours of your day to downplay any positive Messi comment? :lol:
No, it's the over the top comments after a performance like that which I find hilarious.

A rebound and a freekick.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool did everything right in that game, in theory. I expected them to be more conservative, as that is always a safe bet in this type of game. If you're going to exchange blows with Barcelona at Nou Camp, there's no way you aren't conceding a few. But they went for that away goal(s), counting on the fact they're fitter and and more functional side. It could have worked, but it didn't. If they went with more conservative gameplan, they would probably have less chances, but maybe would score against the run of play. Knockout ties often make no sense.
Milner and Salah misses are unforgiveable. They won't sleep for days.

Hoof the ball

No, it's the over the top comments after a performance like that which I find hilarious.

If we're talking turkey here, it was Messi's solo run that drew five players towards him that enabled Suarez the space to get his shot off in the first place..... but it was just a rebound. No other causal factors to the goal at all. :lol:

A-boateng

A goal is a goal

It shouldn’t matter how they go in as long as your team wins and you perform well but looking at your post history I’m not surprised you made a post like this.:rolleyes:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
The lack of an away goal has made it an extremely difficult task now.

Raw

The lack of an away goal has made it an extremely difficult task now.
Really has. You can't afford to let a single goal in next week, so your defence has to be at 110%. Score an early goal, then who knows it could happen. But it's extremely unlikely.

I can see you winning 2-1, maybe going 2-0 up before Messi scores something out of nothing to end the tie.

MarkK

Supports
Bayern Munich
This is so salty, come on
I have to admit that I'd be fuming if I was a Liverpool fan. They were indeed very unlucky and should have done a lot better. Barcelona winning is a flattering scoreline, even more so 3-0. I would also want to tar and feather Salah for missing a golden opportunity for an away goal by managing to miss an open goal, even more so because his shot looked sloppy, hell even almost lacking concentration - which would be unforgivable in a game like that. So Liverpool fans have every right to be salty today. Also, I can't stand Barca so I somehow feel for them.

xtal191

Still wouldnt be surprised if Liverpool gave Barca a hiding at Anfield

United22

I have to admit that I'd be fuming if I was a Liverpool fan. They were indeed very unlucky and should have done a lot better. Barcelona winning is a flattering scoreline, even more so 3-0. I would also want to tar and feather Salah for missing a golden opportunity for an away goal by managing to miss an open goal, even more so because his shot looked sloppy, hell even almost lacking concentration - which would be unforgivable in a game like that. So Liverpool fans have every right to be salty today. Also, I can't stand Barca so I somehow feel for them.
They were unlucky to not score, but they never dominated the game one way like its been suggested here. Barcelona were smart enough and managed to score at the right moments, that isn't luck at all. I admit 3-0 is a flattering scoreline, but equally Barcelona should have made it 4 or 5 nil by full time

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Okay :lol: you need another topic to discuss. It must get boring, no? Reckon you’ll be relieved when both of them retire?

oggy boy

Liverpool should forget about CL and give all for the next two PL games.

Otherwise, they might slip on both legs, not just one.

matbezlima

aLisSon bESt keEpEr iN ThE woRLd lA

No keeper is saving that tbf :lol:

Salah hits the post from point blank range :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Finally, about time their luck ran out.

Feck off you jammy Scouse cnuts!
Only Rogério Ceni against Liverpool saving Gerrard's perfect free kick in 2005 World Club Cup.

GNRfan

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool should forget about CL and give all for the next two PL games.

Otherwise, they might slip on both legs, not just one.
Why?

We could slip playing really well against Newcastle. We will try and win all three games in the next several days.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I would say that a miracle is needed but won't be forthcoming. I'll be at Anfield on Tusday as usual but I'd be absolutely shocked (along with the rest of the footballing world) I we pulled it off.
We need Salah, Mane and Firmino firing, Trent and Robertson playing out of their skins, our midfield to not be over-run, Suarz and Messi to have an off night, oh and we need to score at least 3 without reply. A film starring Tom Cruise comes to mind....

Kapardin

I would say that a miracle is needed but won't be forthcoming. I'll be at Anfield on Tusday as usual but I'd be absolutely shocked (along with the rest of the footballing world) I we pulled it off.
We need Salah, Mane and Firmino firing, Trent and Robertson playing out of their skins, our midfield to not be over-run, Suarz and Messi to have an off night, oh and we need to score at least 3 without reply. A film starring Tom Cruise comes to mind....
Most likely scenario- you will win 2-1 and lose the tie.

Hoof the ball

Risky Business, Eyes Wide Shut, Mission Impossible, The Outsiders, Lions for Lambs all apply in one form or another. :lol:

Havak

Pokemon master
I can't see Liverpool stopping Barcelona scoring to be honest, so I think they'll go out. Barcelona should have put the tie to bed when Liverpool missed their 2-3 good chances at the away goal and won 4-0. I think this Liverpool team is capable of putting in a performance and getting a 3-0 result for extra time, but I just think Barcelona are too likely to get a goal and kill it as Liverpool aren't getting five bar some ridiculous circumstances like multiple penalties and a red card or two.

Ajax vs. Tottenham is far more open as Son being back makes me believe they are capable of something like a 1-2 away win. Ajax should have finished Spurs off, they had two glorious chances to make it 0-2 on the night and considering how rare the 0-2 home defeat overturn has been in Europe, I would be amazed if it happened twice in one season. The good thing for Spurs is that Ajax scoring makes little difference in Amsterdam, they just have to go there with the aim of scoring at least twice and hoping they can defend well enough to limit Ajax to one, or none. I do fancy a draw in that game though with Ajax progressing.

Unfortunate for the English teams, but I think there's a very strong chance that the Europa League winner will be from England.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
‘Rain Man’ feat. Jurgen ‘The Weatherman’ Klopp.

I don't get why everyone is so adamant Liverpool were unlucky and could have pegged Barcelona back. It's true they could have scored, but Barcelona will be absolutely kicking themselves not to have put 5 or 6 past Liverpool. They knew Liverpool would come at them and executed their gameplan to perfection.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Which part of this is "over the top"?

You're right but now that Liverpool need to score 3 goals they can't triple mark Messi whenever he has the ball and eventually Messi will find space to create havoc.
It doesn't even mention his goals either :confused:

For a guy who wanted his own team to lose to their city rivals so Liverpool wouldn't win the league, you'd think you wouldn't have a problem with someone talking up Messi's chances of punishing Liverpool... :rolleyes:

Cal?

CR7 fan
If we're talking turkey here, it was Messi's solo run that drew five players towards him that enabled Suarez the space to get his shot off in the first place..... but it was just a rebound. No other causal factors to the goal at all. :lol:
99% of the time, Suarez puts it away
A goal is a goal

It shouldn’t matter how they go in as long as your team wins and you perform well but looking at your post history I’m not surprised you made a post like this.:rolleyes:
I agree a goal is a goal and Messi played well yesterday. But when you get comments talking as if last night was an all time great performance, it's completely OTT.
Which part of this is "over the top"?
It doesn't even mention his goals either :confused:

For a guy who wanted his own team to lose to their city rivals so Liverpool wouldn't win the league, you'd think you wouldn't have a problem with someone talking up Messi's chances of punishing Liverpool... :rolleyes:
There's been plenty that claim the performance last night makes him the GOAT. Not OTT? :rolleyes:

Eric7C

It's not the same, Ronaldo is portuguese and Sporting gave him his first break at being a pro.
Sure, but what about United? Ronaldo scored at OT in 2013 and put his hands up in apology. Now, I am not saying this should be prescribed behavior, but this is probably what Liverpool fans were expecting Suarez to do.