Championship/EFL Play-offs | Brentford Blackpool & Morecambe promoted

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I feel they’ve been up and down too many times in the past few years, they give me Norwich/Fulham vibes.
Swansea have only been promoted once, and the one relegation. I do think though that for the neutrals Brentford would be the better team for promotion. The Swansea side that was promoted played great football, but this incarnation is a long way off from that, Brentford play great football and their recruitment is brilliant.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
Brentford look a really good ball-playing team and based on their play-off performances this season are certainly worthy of promotion.

The manager’s done a really good job in being able to go from strength to strength after many of the big players have departed. Watkins and Benrahma last summer, and Maupay the summer before. Excellent recruitment.

Ivan Toney is absolutely brilliant. His hold up play and ball retention is better than most in the Premier League, let alone the Championship. Reckon he’ll be an absolute monster in the top flight next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Swansea shouldn't give anyone Norwich/West Brom vibes on the basis they've never yo-yo'd.

They went up, stayed a few years (winning a cup in the process!), and have stayed down for what will now be 4 years come next May.

It's even harsh on West Brom, who spent an entire decade without going down. They did nothing noteworthy (except maybe the Steve Clarke/Lukaku season), but they still managed to be an established Premier League side

Norwich have been the only "true" yo yo team in the last decade. Going up and down multiple times, their best stint being three consecutive seasons a decade ago.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Swansea have only been promoted once, and the one relegation. I do think though that for the neutrals Brentford would be the better team for promotion. The Swansea side that was promoted played great football, but this incarnation is a long way off from that, Brentford play great football and their recruitment is brilliant.
Brentford is a lot closer than Swansea as well! Obviously depends where you live, but is the case for most clubs/ locations.

I’d rather Swansea got promoted, as I did live there for a time, and been to a couple of their most important matches in their history.

Brentford look like a good football team though, and it’s good to have a new team in the PL.

Really? it feels like you been up and down more than that. Fair enough.

lsd

The Oracle
Pleased for Brentford I think they deserve to be in the premiership after the past two seasons but it is going to be hard for them to stay there unless they spend big.

I'm not sure Toney for example will score a lot of goals at premiership level he seems to be the type of player built for this level and unlikely to step up

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Pleased for Brentford I think they deserve to be in the premiership after the past two seasons but it is going to be hard for them to stay there unless they spend big.

I'm not sure Toney for example will score a lot of goals at premiership level he seems to be the type of player built for this level and unlikely to step up
If Bamford can score 16 goals in the Premier League, I think Toney can score a reasonable amount. He has a better skill set in my opinion.

I think they'll give it a good go. They have a brilliant transfer strategy and they've been up there in the Championship for a while. Congratulations to them.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City

I disagree with this. I think Toney looks a very good footballer; comfortable on the ball, intelligent, physical which will make him a nuisance for defences and he’s under appreciated in regards to his technical ability.

One thing I really like about him is that he often makes late runs into the box once the wide players have gone behind the back line. This gives him far more space and also leaves channels for him to feed in to. Considering how high the majority of back lines play in the Premier League, I could see this working to his advantage.

Not expecting him to go on and score 20+ goals, but I think he’ll get a respectable goal return.

Reactions: mazhar13

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Congratulations Brentford, comfortably the better side and well deserving of promotion.

Brentford is a lot closer than Swansea as well! Obviously depends where you live, but is the case for most clubs/ locations.

I’d rather Swansea got promoted, as I did live there for a time, and been to a couple of their most important matches in their history.

Brentford look like a good football team though, and it’s good to have a new team in the PL.
The atmosphere at the Liberty could be great when the singing got going. Although I’m sorry you had to live in Swansea:D

You’re right about it being good to have a new team in the PL, and Brentford do play great football, especially when Rico Henry and Dasilva are back.

Really? it feels like you been up and down more than that. Fair enough.
I think towards the end of the time in the prem Swansea were in afew relegation battles, and that combined with a couple playoff attempts probably makes them seem more of a yo yo club than they were.

No complaints from me about Brentford going up, they’re the better side and it’ll be good to see them in the prem. gutted about not getting to see the big sides at the Liberty next season but can’t complain.

If Bamford can score 16 goals in the Premier League, I think Toney can score a reasonable amount. He has a better skill set in my opinion.

I think they'll give it a good go. They have a brilliant transfer strategy and they've been up there in the Championship for a while. Congratulations to them.
Bamford scoring so many this season really surprised me. I like him but I think Toney is definitely the better player, which says a lot after the season Bamford has had. He’s been outstanding this season Toney and is a real leader on the pitch. Really looking forward to

cj_sparky

I wondered how Watkins would get on. I think Toney could follow his lead next season.

I don't think they'll need to spend massively, just wisely and well thought out like they have to get them up. They've sold £100m worth of players in the last few seasons. Konsa, Mepham Maupay, Watkins and Benrahma.

Red Star One

I kind of like these national touches in some teams like Portuguese Wolves and now quite Danish Brentford, so pleased to see them in Premier League. Wonder if any of their guys might be a potential FPL gem

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
We aren’t the elite anymore, he’s just confirmed
It
There’s still something special about Manchester United though. When a club gets promoted there someone that all the supporters get excited about playing.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
There’s still something special about Manchester United though. When a club gets promoted there someone that all the supporters get excited about playing.
Oh I agree but we’ve got to earn that again. The history and ‘eritage is there and when Brentford’s
Players walk into OT and look at the museum etc it’ll be apparent.it’s why we have to work hard to get back among the best

always_hoping

Congrats to Brentford. 74 years one hell of a wait, great to see some supporters in attendance to witness it.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Pep Guardiola waits, Juergen Klopp awaits, Marcelo Bielsa waits ....

Commentator just summed up how far Utd have fallen....gulp
They just named the three most successful managers in the league right now (sans Ancelotti)
Bielsa's a stupid one to mention though. Brentford & Thomas Frank have already played/managed against him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Summed up how much of a gobshite that Commentator is.
Yep. Choosing managers at City, Liverpool and Leeds :lol:
Could have at least made it a little more credible by mentioning Rodgers and Potter as well.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Think it is more elite manager/coaches. Poor Ole if Brentford's manager out coaches him.
Only one manager managed to out coach him in the league. Last time I checked we finished second. Don't let a penalty shootout loss erase that fact.

TheReligion

Abusive
Pep Guardiola waits, Juergen Klopp awaits, Marcelo Bielsa waits ....

Commentator just summed up how far Utd have fallen....gulp
Utter nonsense. What does that have to do with the club? He's just named some of the legendary managers from the league.

I assume you missed United get named checked a few times after this by the way.

TheReligion

Abusive

You've not seen much of Toney if that's your assessment of him.

He's a quality player.

redrobed

This is what I love about English football - who here had heard of Brentford this time last year? And now they’re a Premier League side and will get to come to Old trafford next season.

Inigo Montoya

Utter nonsense. What does that have to do with the club? He's just named some of the legendary managers from the league.

I assume you missed United get named checked a few times after this by the way.
I did and if he did it is good. It was amusing that Ole wasn’t mentioned

Inigo Montoya

Only one manager managed to out coach him in the league. Last time I checked we finished second. Don't let a penalty shootout loss erase that fact.
So all those losses don’t count as being outmanaged? Or the fact that Big Sam and Woy did a number on him?