Championship players I like

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
This is just a fluff post about players I like to watch or are talented, I've avoided ones who have had significant time in the premier league, so the likes of Buendia or Sarr I've omitted, and the same goes for players who are on loan (Elliott, Guehi etc). There'll be a video for each player to give a rough idea of their style of play, and yes, the music accompanying the clips will be awful, as well as a few sentences to give a brief background and idea of how they play the game. This of course is not a comprehensive list and I'll add more when I'm less lazy, feel free to add your own as long as it's not some donkey Cardiff player.

Michael Olise

Michael Olise is a 19 year old who currently plays for Reading after being released from Chelsea at 15. He plays for the French youth teams but is eligible for England and Nigeria as well. Like a lot of young talent these days he's pretty flexible positionally, and is comfortable centrally and out wide. He's left footed and is a very elegant dribbler, he'll often drop a shoulder and just glide past a player. He's very calm on the ball and is happy to receive it even while being shadowed. As well as being great at carrying the ball he's a very good passer, he's creative with it, has a surprisingly expansive range and takes there set pieces. There were rumours that he has an 8m release clause though this was shot down by the manager, if true though it'd be good value for someone who is young and homegrown. I always like a player who will show for the ball and Olise is that kind of player, he'll often drift around the pitch looking for pockets of space, and he has both the dribbling ability and passing range to make use of these situations. He's linked up well with Lucas Joao who is often the focal point of the Reading attack and it's often fun to watch.

This was his 89th minute winner against QPR last month

This is a 4 minute compilation that mainly focuses on his dribbling

Adam Armstrong

Armstrong is a 23 year old `who plays for Blackburn as a striker. He has actually had some premier league game time, back in the 13/14 and 14/15 seasons for Newcastle (where he was born and came through the academy) which says a lot about how highly they rated him, as he was 17 when he made his debut. Sadly it didn't quite work out for him at Newcastle and after a few loan spells he joined the Rovers for 1.75m. In another thread I touted him as a possible replacement for Vardy, and that's a rough outline of the player he is. He's all about goals, this season he's scored 16 in 22 . He started the season in blistering form but has since tapered off a little. While he's technically tidy and has the low center of gravity that comes with his stature, his game is all about breaking the offside trap and getting shots off. In this sense he can be a little frustrating to watch, and like many goalscorers he can be selfish with his decision making. I actually had a quick check of whoscored to see how his shots per game compared to other strikers in the championship, and I wasn't surprised to see that he had the top spot by a significant margin. He's one of those players who seems to rapidly improve every season and step up a level, and I think he could be a decent acquisition for a premier league club this summer. One thing that makes me a little hesitant is that he often relies on his pace to blitz past the championship defenders, and one of the big differences between championship football and premier league football is that in the top division the defenders are often very fast themselves and space can be hard to come by. He's fairly short for a striker (5"8) and may struggle physically in the top league. I think he is capable of taking a step up though and is good fun to watch when he flies past a defender, he may have to work on becoming a little more well rounded in the style of Ollie Watkins to go to the next level. The Blackburn front trio of Elliot, Armstrong and Brereton is a young talented one and they seem to have a good connection.

A beauty he scored against Cardiff last season

A compilation of goals scored this season

Ivan Toney

Another easy choice to add, Toney alongside Armstrong is joint top of the goalscorers list with 16 goals. He began his career at Northampton Town and made his debut at 16. It wasn't long before Newcastle bought him in, and other than a couple cameos he mostly spent his time out on loan, before eventually joining Peterborough in league one permanently. After a couple seasons where apparently he shone, Brentford purchased him this summer as a replacement for Ollie Watkins. He's been brilliant for them and after Buendia has arguably been the best player this season. Like Armstrong his goals have tapered off a little but even when not scoring he offers a lot to the team with his work rate and tenacity, he's quite happy to get stuck in and for a striker is quite selfless in his play and will often bring others into the game with clever passing. I googled his height and was surprised to see that he is only 5"10, he's one of those players who plays taller than that. He's a handful in the air and is a danger from set pieces, he's also comfortable fighting it out with defenders when dealing with long balls and is great at being that pressure valve for his own defenders when they punt it up field. I thought that Brentford may have struggled when Watkins was sold but they did well to replace him with Toney and it's impressive how quickly he's adapted to the step up. While Rico Henry and Josh Dasilva have played well for the Bees this season, Toney is their undisputed star player and has been a real leader for them.

Nothing fancy here just basic between the post goals, this was his 8 goals in 6 games in October to get him POTM

Connor Roberts

I thought I'd balance it out after posting a few attackers so I went with wing back Connor Roberts. The Swansea defense in general has been utterly fantastic, conceding 13 goals in 24 league games, giving them the best defensive record in the championship. Freddie Woodman in goal on loan from Newcastle and Marc Guehi in central defense on loan from Chelsea have been brilliant, as has 20 year old Cabango and Ryan Bennet in the center.

Roberts is a 25 year old who came through the academy (he played several years with my brother who played on the left) and has actually made a couple of premier league appearances, the season Swansea went down :( . Roberts is the type of player that supporters of the club they play for love, he's a very hardworking, dedicated professional who will always put in a shift. Wingbacks as a rule have to cover a massive amount of ground and the engine Roberts possesses allows him to constantly bomb down the wing to add width to the side. In recent seasons he's managed to add a real attacking influence to his game and is now a real threat in the final third with his passing and crossing. He's not the most technical when it comes to carrying the ball and relies more on making attacking runs and distributing the ball in a creative manner. Roberts has played the full 90 in every league game this season and often grows as the game goes on, his stamina allowing him to continue making attacking runs late on in the game as the opposition begins to tire. The system that Cooper employs allows Roberts more freedom in terms of his attacking movement, and allows him more opportunity to affect the game in the final third than he would as a right back, but he's also defensively intelligent and is quite adept at shutting down his flank.

A short clip of him scoring against Ireland

Ben Pearson

Ben Pearson will be well known to all of yous on here, as he came through the Manchester United academy. I thought he'd made a cup appearance for United but when I checked it looks like he hadn't, although he was highly regarded and I remember hearing about him on here while he was still a youngster. Pearson is currently 26 and plays for Preston North End, although his contract is running out this summer and there's talks of him joining Celtic. Pearson has consistently been excellent for PNE for several years now, working hard at the base of midfield to break up attacks and shield the defense, while also being consistent with his ball retention and distribution. He's also kind of a cnut on the pitch, is fairly dirty and constantly arguing with the refs. A player who if he plays for your side is loved but is despised by everyone else. I've always enjoyed watching him though as despite his diminutive stature he's very adept at winning the ball and is always a presence on the pitch. He's also quite nippy and covers ground well. I've always thought he could step up, and if the move to Celtic doesn't happen I wouldn't be surprised if some lower prem clubs come calling.

His first professional goal, scored for Barnsley while on loan from Manchester United

4min compilation of his passing and tackling

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I've always liked Bradley Dack, despite that weird story that came out about him being a bit of a pervert a few years ago.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I've always liked Bradley Dack, despite that weird story that came out about him being a bit of a pervert a few years ago.
Yeah I think he's a good player, I don't fully understand why Blackburn aren't doing better than they are with the attack they've got.
I hadn't heard about the pervert thing, what was it?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Ivan Toney

Another easy choice to add, Toney alongside Armstrong is joint top of the goalscorers list with 16 goals. He began his career at Northampton Town and made his debut at 16. It wasn't long before Newcastle bought him in, and other than a couple cameos he mostly spent his time out on loan, before eventually joining Peterborough in league one permanently. After a couple seasons where apparently he shone, Brentford purchased him this summer as a replacement for Ollie Watkins. He's been brilliant for them and after Buendia has arguably been the best player this season. Like Armstrong his goals have tapered off a little but even when not scoring he offers a lot to the team with his work rate and tenacity, he's quite happy to get stuck in and for a striker is quite selfless in his play and will often bring others into the game with clever passing. I googled his height and was surprised to see that he is only 5"10, he's one of those players who plays taller than that. He's a handful in the air and is a danger from set pieces, he's also comfortable fighting it out with defenders when dealing with long balls and is great at being that pressure valve for his own defenders when they punt it up field. I thought that Brentford may have struggled when Watkins was sold but they did well to replace him with Toney and it's impressive how quickly he's adapted to the step up. While Rico Henry and Josh Dasilva have played well for the Bees this season, Toney is their undisputed star player and has been a real leader for them.

Nothing fancy here just basic between the post goals, this was his 8 goals in 6 games in October to get him POTM
Pretty decent overview there fella - Ivan Toney has been superb and even through his recent mini goal "drought" his all around game has been superb.

With regards to Rico Henry - easily the best left back in the Championship and to be honest there can't be that many better English left backs out there. If his delivery in attacking positions was slightly better he'd be in the Premier League already.

Josh Dasilva - absolute Rolls Royce of a player in the Championship, when he is on top form there's no midfielder who can live with him in the league. Very bright future for him too.

Surprise package for us is Vitaly Janault - £500k signing from Bochum who has stepped up following Christian Norgaard's (who bossed the midfield vs England for Denmark not too long ago) injury and has been a bit of revelation at DM.

Ludens the Red

Michael Olise is gonna be some player. Looks special. Reading have quite a few tidy players actually.

Shout out to Ivan Toney. I attended a few Peterborough games last season with a friend and he was brilliant. Complete all round attacker. Presses, tackles, heads it, both in attack and defence. Pace, strong, good technique and a decent finisher. Can really handle himself too. To think Newcastle paid 35 million for Joelinton when they could have got Toney (their old player) back for ten.

Jason Knight at Derby looks a good player, been watching a bit of them due to Rooney going there.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Yeah I think he's a good player, I don't fully understand why Blackburn aren't doing better than they are with the attack they've got.
I hadn't heard about the pervert thing, what was it?
I'm not sure if I should repeat it or even link it, but it involved him at a party watching some unsavoury stuff and enjoying it a lot. However that was six years ago and I don't think any action was taken against him. Great player though.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Michael Olise is gonna be some player. Looks special. Reading have quite a few tidy players actually.

Shout out to Ivan Toney. I attended a few Peterborough games last season with a friend and he was brilliant. Complete all round attacker. Presses, tackles, heads it, both in attack and defence. Pace, strong, good technique and a decent finisher. Can really handle himself too. To think Newcastle paid 35 million for Joelinton when they could have got Toney (their old player) back for ten.

Jason Knight at Derby looks a good player, been watching a bit of them due to Rooney going there.
To then think Brentford only paid £5.5m up front - the rest will be addons :)

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Haha, true. Assume you’re a Brentford man?
Yes indeed been going for the past 33 years season ticket holder for most of that time but my uncle is a huge United fan and former season ticket holder so been to Old Trafford plenty of times and got a soft spot for United.

Ludens the Red

Yes indeed been going for the past 33 years season ticket holder for most of that time but my uncle is a huge United fan and former season ticket holder so been to Old Trafford plenty of times and got a soft spot for United.
Haha said no one ever in this country.

We’ll take it. I Used to have a Brentford season ticket holder at my shop when I did a spell in the bookies and he’d ramble on about Brentford for hours every morning :lol:
Ended up quite liking them. Stuart Dallas Jack Bonham and Diagouraga used to come in the shop and get him to do their football bets so used to have a few chats with them.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Haha said no one ever in this country.

We’ll take it. I Used to have a Brentford season ticket holder at my shop when I did a spell in the bookies and he’d ramble on about Brentford for hours every morning :lol:
Ended up quite liking them. Stuart Dallas Jack Bonham and Diagouraga used to come in the shop and get him to do their football bets so used to have a few chats with them.
"Toumani scores - we're on the pitch, Toumani scores - we're on the pitch" :lol:

Anyway Toney claiming a hattrick today but not confirmed yet - Dasilva also grabbed a goal with a lovely finish, just the 7-2 win this afternoon :D

Hope for a similar result for United at the emirates!

Welbeckham

I would have preferred Rico Henry to Alex Telles. Looks easily Prem quality.

Hoof the ball

Joe Lolley would have made a very, very good top eight PL player had he left Forest a season or two ago. Was by far the best player on their team. Only Forest's utter crap-ness has obscured his consistently top performances.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I'm not sure if I should repeat it or even link it, but it involved him at a party watching some unsavoury stuff and enjoying it a lot. However that was six years ago and I don't think any action was taken against him. Great player though.
I was hoping for like dogging or something, but yeah looks pretty bad :nervous:, I wonder if that's why a prem club hasn't come in for him (I guess that and the big injury). think you made the right choice not linking it, not that I know anything about the law.

Pretty decent overview there fella - Ivan Toney has been superb and even through his recent mini goal "drought" his all around game has been superb.

With regards to Rico Henry - easily the best left back in the Championship and to be honest there can't be that many better English left backs out there. If his delivery in attacking positions was slightly better he'd be in the Premier League already.

Josh Dasilva - absolute Rolls Royce of a player in the Championship, when he is on top form there's no midfielder who can live with him in the league. Very bright future for him too.

Surprise package for us is Vitaly Janault - £500k signing from Bochum who has stepped up following Christian Norgaard's (who bossed the midfield vs England for Denmark not too long ago) injury and has been a bit of revelation at DM.
Cheers mate! And yeah fully agree about Dasilva and Henry, two cracking deals especially considering the fees involved (or lack of in Dasilva's case).
I haven't seen as much of Vitaly, but he looks like a really good foil for Dasilva and Jensen (who I thought was really good in the Swansea game)
And speaking of that Swansea game, while of course pleased about Swansea getting a point I have no idea how they did. About as jammy as it comes. Do you think this is the year they go up?

Any insight on the kind of football Rooney will try and implement? They've done well recently and I've enjoyed listening to Rooney talk on football in the past, so it's going to be interesting to see how his career goes, especially at such a young age.

I would have preferred Rico Henry to Alex Telles. Looks easily Prem quality.
Yeah I agree about being prem quality, sometimes it can be hard to gauge how a player will do taking the step up, but Henry is very good and I think he'd thrive in the top division.

Nathan Collins.
I've not actually seen much of him but I know he's really highly regarded. I'll keep an eye out when I next watch them

Harvey Elliot is having a very good season for a 17 year old.
I think he's outstanding. Though it's always impressive when players who are so young can hold their own, I think what makes Elliot so special is not that he he's holding his own but actually a key figure. It's going to be a lot of fun watching him develop through his career.

Joe Lolley would have made a very, very good top eight PL player had he left Forest a season or two ago. Was by far the best player on their team. Only Forest's utter crap-ness has obscured his consistently top performances.
Really tidy player, it's a shame about his condition that's limited game time. He's one of those players who's always fun for a neutral to watch.

Last edited:

Champagne Football

Buendia was everyone's muppet right wing signing a year ago if we didn't land Sancho... How's he getting on in The Championship with Norwich? Looks like they'll be a PL team again soon

pascell

Olise has looked great for Reading, I hope United are keeping an eye on him.

Edit: OP Pearson has since moved to Bournemouth from PNE. Should be interesting to see if he helps their push for promotion.

ForeverRoma93

Supports
A.S. Roma
Apparently Liverpool have agreed a fee with PNE for Ben Davies at £2m. Left footed centre half. Has anyone seen him play?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Cheers mate! And yeah fully agree about Dasilva and Henry, two cracking deals especially considering the fees involved (or lack of in Dasilva's case).
I haven't seen as much of Vitaly, but he looks like a really good foil for Dasilva and Jensen (who I thought was really good in the Swansea game)
And speaking of that Swansea game, while of course pleased about Swansea getting a point I have no idea how they did. About as jammy as it comes. Do you think this is the year they go up?
At the moment Project Five Thirty Eight have Brentford and Norwich going up automatically and Swansea most likely going up via Play Offs - I'd go along with that.

Ludens the Red

Any insight on the kind of football Rooney will try and implement? They've done well recently and I've enjoyed listening to Rooney talk on football in the past, so it's going to be interesting to see how his career goes, especially at such a young age.
So far all but I think two of his wins have been 1-0 :lol:
So yeah it is quite defensive. Recent game against Bournemouth they had literally seven defenders on although a few played in midfield. He’s gone for the start from the back approach. Though to be fair their offensive options are mediocre.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Buendia was everyone's muppet right wing signing a year ago if we didn't land Sancho... How's he getting on in The Championship with Norwich? Looks like they'll be a PL team again soon
I think he's quite a special player. Going to a club like United is a bit different to going to most other prem clubs, even the big ones, so I don't know how it would have worked out, but I definitely see him playing European football. I'd say he's the best player in the championship, and Norwich have a few premier league standard players and he's head and shoulders above them.

This thread got bumped at an opportune time.

What's Ben Davies at Preston like?
tbh I never rated him that highly, in the sense that I never thought of him as one of the best defenders in the league. Having said that I find it a lot harder to assess central defenders compared to any other position, so he's probably a lot better than I thought. And at 2 million I imagine Liverpool will easily make their money back if it goes wrong (apparently Preston turned down double from Bournemouth recently for him).

At the moment Project Five Thirty Eight have Brentford and Norwich going up automatically and Swansea most likely going up via Play Offs - I'd go along with that.
I agree about Brentford and Norwich, I think they're the standout teams of the league. I really hope Swansea do go up, and although I really like the current group and their attitude, I worry that there's a little lack of quality in key areas. Hopefully the defense keeps going strong, and if they do go up they can get Woodman and Guehi back in on loan.

So far all but I think two of his wins have been 1-0 :lol:
So yeah it is quite defensive. Recent game against Bournemouth they had literally seven defenders on although a few played in midfield. He’s gone for the start from the back approach. Though to be fair their offensive options are mediocre.
I guess that's fair enough considering the situation when he took over. Think Swansea play them in the last game of the season so it'll be interesting to watch.

Olise has looked great for Reading, I hope United are keeping an eye on him.

Edit: OP Pearson has since moved to Bournemouth from PNE. Should be interesting to see if he helps their push for promotion.
I think he'll be quite a goof fit for them, and from the interview I've just read it looks like Pearson is looking forward to a different style of football.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Can we add Massengo from Bristol City to this list.
Absolute livewire of a player. Speed, agility and skill all in a very young player with time to grow and learn.
Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Ivan Toney looks lethal.
Sell Maupay (25 goals) for 20m plus, replace with Ollie (25 goals) who himself goes for 20m plus bring in Toney for an initial £5ish mill and he has 22 goals already - Happy Days.

Out of the three - Toney looks the best of the lot in terms of finishing and also being a leader on the pitch.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Sell Maupay (25 goals) for 20m plus, replace with Ollie (25 goals) who himself goes for 20m plus bring in Toney for an initial £5ish mill and he has 22 goals already - Happy Days.

Out of the three - Toney looks the best of the lot in terms of finishing and also being a leader on the pitch.
Toney is a tremendous player. Although the cnut tried to get our boy sent off when we faced you. Well, he succeeded but the card was overturned luckily.

Will this finally be the year you lots go up?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Toney is a tremendous player. Although the cnut tried to get our boy sent off when we faced you. Well, he succeeded but the card was overturned luckily.

Will this finally be the year you lots go up?
He does have an edge but wouldn't say that's a trait in his game to be honest - he takes a battering most games from centre backs.

You must be happier this season than last - looks like a comfortable mid table season and we saved our 7 goals for someone else this time around ;)

Well at the moment this is the best we've looked in this division do it's the best chance certainly.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He does have an edge but wouldn't say that's a trait in his game to be honest - he takes a battering most games from centre backs.

You must be happier this season than last - looks like a comfortable mid table season and we saved our 7 goals for someone else this time around ;)

Well at the moment this is the best we've looked in this division do it's the best chance certainly.
I get nightmares every time we play your lot after that 7 goal thrashing. Doesn't help that a guy at my work is a huge Brentford fan.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I didn't do one last season, but this is a few from this season. Like before I'm going to avoid players who have had significant time in the PL (There'd be a shitload of Leicester players) and players who are on loan.

Jack Clarke

Super obvious one to start with, but he is class, and really fun to watch too. He's been touted as a potential star for years, but it never really seemed to click. Under Mowbray at Sunderland though he just continues to get better. 22 years old, He's a winger who likes to cut in from the left and make things happen. Good with both feet and an expansive passing range, he's now added productivity, 9 goals in 14 games. He's very direct and hard to defend against, he has that Robben like ability where they know he wants to cut in from the left and finesse with his right, but he still manages to pull it off again and again. He's very good at beating players and a very exciting player.

Gabriel Sara

Sara joined Norwich last season in a relatively big money deal, reports are varied on the fee but it's between 6 and 11m, a big outlay for a club like Norwich. He was good last season, winning Norwich's player of the season, and he's looking good again this season. He had a monstrous performance against Swansea which is the main reason he's here (though they lost 2-1). Left footed, he can play off the striker and also deeper. Against Swansea he was playing off the striker and in between the lines, He puts in a lot of effort defensively and is a competent ballwinner. He's very creative too, and is a bit of a set piece specialist with this left foot being excellent at free kicks and corners. He leads Norwich in key passes and is heavily involved in there play.

Morgan Whittaker

Whittaker joined newly promoted Plymouth this season for 1 million, breaking their previous record transfer. He had done well on loan for Plymouth in the first half of the 2022/2023 season, and had been recalled by Swansea in January, but was restricted to sub appearances. This season he has shone for the Pilgrims, having scored 6 times and assisted 3 times in 13 appearances. The newly promoted side are currently in 19th position and he has played a large role in this. Fast and direct Whittaker is another left footer, and likes to play off the right. He likes to run at opponents and is very adept at striking the ball, he can score from unfavourable positions and even when facing stronger sides Whittaker can fashion chances for himself with is ability to beat a man. Probably not PL ready but still a fun player who wasn't given a fair chance at Swansea.

Here's Whittaker scoring a hat trick against Plymouth, while playing for Swansea. Two comments on this video from two Argyle supporters

"He’s come to make up for it"
"And now he's home to stay "

Hayden Hackney

Hackney is a deep lying midfielder, who's chance in the first team coincided with Carrick's arrival as manager. A very astute passer of the ball, he has quickly become Middlesbrough's lynchpin, setting the tempo and dictating play. Having turned 21 in the summer, I don't think he is PL ready yet, but when you watch him you can see the talent is there, he'll be in the PL in a season or two. Even at his young age he leads Boro in passes per game, averaging 80 passes with a 88% pass completion. Right footed, he has a good engine on him that allows him to screen the defence well, and his composure and technical ability allows him to progress the ball in a manner reminiscent of his manager. Speaking of Carrick here's what he has to say

It’s easy to take for granted because he’s been so consistent. I’ve never really needed to guide him, I’ve let him develop and learn on the job. It’s obviously challenging for me to know how and when to help him, but he’s been fabulous and keeps adding to his game all the time. It’s a bonus when you get one like that, a local lad to have such an influence on the first team.

Mads Hermansen

Conceding his first goal against Swansea after 200 minutes without conceding, he went on to make a great save against Lowe to help their team to a 3-1 win. Having joined in the summer from Brondby in the summer, the Dane is 23 and enjoying an impressive start at Leicester. The Foxes are flying, 13 wins and 1 loss in 14 games, having conceded only 8 goals which is far and away the lowest amount conceded. Having played 13 of those games, Hermansen has played a big role in this. Very comfortable with the ball at his feet, he suits the new manager (Enzo Maresca) Leicester like to have the ball, averaging 64% possession this season, Hermansen's ability to come off his line and function as another passing option when retaining and recycling the ball is vital to there style of play, he also has an Ederson lite ability to go long when pressed and the option becomes available.

Here is a game for Brondby against Nordsjaelland where he makes some great saves, and at the end stops a penalty and the rebound. 48 seconds and worth a watch.

I'll probably add some players soon.