Change a sporting event

Wal2Fra

So, thought we can have a bit of fun and show off some caf imagination.

Taking any sporting event - no matter how big or small - and throw in some new rules, format or structure to make it different.

Can be a genuine idea or OTT, as you want.

Tour de France:
The riders complete a full route of France, but instead of stages as current it would be just 1 continuous route. Riders can push as much as they want and break when they want.

Probably throw a rule in that riders must take x amount of break time prior to the finishing but it is at the riders discretion when they take their breaks (imagine like a F1 pit-stop except in hours not seconds. ) The riders would plan break times around where they want to push the hardest or where they need to gradually move forward based on their teams strengths/weaknesses.

Would be even more team based than current format, as you will be working off what your teammates are capable of completing and there would very rarely be a peleton to work with.

What ideas have the caf got?

Tarrou

Premier League: everyone on the scoring team has to immediately down a pint

GeorgieBoy

1. Tour de France: Let all the cyclists juice and take whatever PEDs they want.
Oh wait... :wenger:

2. American Football: Just ban it completely everywhere.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Ironman.

Rule: All used kit has to be with you at all times.

Wetsuit? Good for a swim, terrible for a hot bike ride.
Shoes? Good luck swimming in them
Bike choice? Your swim is going to be long if you take a TT bike. Unicyle would be easier to swim with. hard to ride 100+ miles on though.

Long Ball

Football - score more than x amount of goals and receive an extra point. Make for proper end to end stuff.

Formula 1 - reduce downforce a lot but increase power. Return to high revving naturally aspirated engines.

Cricket - ban it

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Football - retrospective diving/acting bans, reds for diving if spotted during the game, figure something out for handball, more than trying to mind read players if they deliberately handled the ball or not, everything else I don't really mind....or just can't think of something
Formula 1 - bring back refueling

Wal2Fra

Ironman.

Rule: All used kit has to be with you at all times.

Wetsuit? Good for a swim, terrible for a hot bike ride.
Shoes? Good luck swimming in them
Bike choice? Your swim is going to be long if you take a TT bike. Unicyle would be easier to swim with. hard to ride 100+ miles on though.
Football - score more than x amount of goals and receive an extra point. Make for proper end to end stuff.

Formula 1 - reduce downforce a lot but increase power. Return to high revving naturally aspirated engines.

Cricket - ban it
Love the Ironman idea, would be a good laugh to watch tge bike on the back during a swim!

I think the x amount of goals equalling a bonus point is a great idea too. Seeing 90 minutes of 2 teams going all out!

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Add shooting to ski jumping.
Like biathlon, but they have to shoot while they're in the air.
Or even better, the opponents shoot with paint guns at the ones jumping.
Get extra points for hitting your opponent, and a hit will definitely give the jumper worse style points.

Would make skijumping interesting to watch agin, i find it a bit dull now, was more fun before

Last edited:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Like biathlonn, but they have to shoot while they're in the air.
Get extra points for hitting your opponent, and a hit will definitely give the jumper worse style points.

Would make skijumping interesting to watch agin, i find it a bit dull now, was more fun before
I would watch that for sure. :lol:

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Like biathlonn, but they have to shoot while they're in the air.

Also all entrants must weigh at least 30 stone.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Football, every time a red card is shown the opposing team gets to choose if they want to have the player sent off or have every subsequent goal count as two.

prath92

Cricket - ban it
Why?

diarm

We used to play a great drinking game with MarioKart along the lines of OP's Tour de France idea.

The rules were that you could choose when and how to drink your beer, but you had to finish a pint between starting and finishing a race. Some went at the beginning and caught up, some tried to build a lead and finish with the pint or some tried to drink in stages. Only the race winner got to swap out with the other 3 staying on for the next race against a newcomer and some poor sod who wasn't great at MarioKart always ended up totally hammered!

Could be a bit dangerous I suppose but some sort of interpretation of this could make the Monaco grand prix very exciting!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Football, you can't be offside if you're on the wing, in the area between the touchline, and the edge of the 18 yard box, but that 18 yard box line runs across the whole pitch:

Perhaps not across the whole of football, because it would be mayhem. Let's just say it was adopted for the FA Cup only (other countries can apply it their domestic cups too, if they want) because FA Cup is losing it's appeal, top 4 is more important etc, so ramp up the interest by turning into a a storm of goals.

The game will be stretched, lots of getting the ball behind, fizzing it across goal, very direct. When two compact teams play each other, it can be pretty awful to watch, and it feels like football is being played in a small fraction of the whole pitch. So use it all. Launch the winger or the full back down the no-flag-zone, and watch the defenders scramble backwards and goals pour in. Because who wouldn't want to see their team win the FA Cup 11 goals to 9?

*I've not thought about how the linesman could possibly spot if a player is inside or outside the no-flag-zone on the other side of the pitch. Maybe it would take 4 linesmen, or both linesmen manning the full length of the pitch on both sides? I don't know. That's the FA's problem

Wal2Fra

AFL: Reduce teams from 18 to 15 but increase interchanges.
Always required to have 3 players in the 50 on either end (both attacking and defensive) this will reduce congestion around the field - along with the above.
DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE AND STOP GOING SOFT!!

baskinginthesun

Golf: Each hole is timed. If you don't finish the hole in time, you are automatically given a triple bogey for your score.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Golf could also change their dresscode.
Maybe something like cosplay golf.

Wal2Fra

NBA:
Instead of the East and West conference, the playoff teams are determined by teams reaching a certain number of wins. Seeding sorted in order of those who reach the target first and it is first come first served.

If there is not enough teams who reach the required wins, the next best teams compete in a mini playoffs (based on what number of teams are required) for the final spot(s).