Chelsea 2016/17 - Very Content

BlueViper

Supports
Chelsea
Spurs are an under rated team. They completely outplayed and outclassed Chelsea when they played them. That is the key to beating Conte's 3-4-3 system and I expect many teams in Europe to study that game as a blueprint on how to shut Chelsea down.
Hold the phone...playing better than another team is key to beating them?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Treble' s posts in this thread aren't to be taken seriously.
In all my years browsing this forum I've never seen a more deluded poster. Not even close, really. I'm even starting to think he's trolling and knows exactly what he's doing.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
I highly doubt Trebble is really a United fan. I'd assume he is a Spurs fan. The guy is just a WUM.

salford_

In all my years browsing this forum I've never seen a more deluded poster. Not even close, really. I'm even starting to think he's trolling and knows exactly what he's doing.
has to be

salford_

1) they haven't won it yet, still 14 games left to play

2) Conte is a talented young manager but I think he has some way to go before he can be considered a world class manager. I think he had a golden opportunity when he was coaching the Italian national team, but he maybe got a bit unlucky exiting the Euros in the way that he did. The Portugal team that won the competition were quite underwhelming and the title was there for the taking, with fine margins and a bit of luck. Not at all an all conquering dominant side like Germany or Spain were in previous WC/Euro tournaments. Had he won it with Italy that would have been a notch under his belt, but it goes down as a failure, and he also failed on the European stage with Juventus. Still he has potential - it would have been great to have signed him up as an assistant to Jose (similar to the Queiroz role) after his Italy stint. But sadly Chelsea got to him first.
1) they practically have, lets be honest. Theyre 9 points clear of first, and this is after the "wait until they go anfield and play arsenal again" stuff. Theyre winning it. Period

2) You do not genuinely believe there was even the slightest chance of him joining as assistant. That's up there with your post that Conte is Neville and Giggs level, a tier below Rafa Benitez. He is doing a outstanding job and will fully deserve manager of the year

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Just to put it into perspective:

There are 42 points left. If top 6 teams win all of their games(i know it's impossible but bear with me) the final table will look like this:

Chelsea 101
Spurs 92
City 91
Arsenal 89
Liverpool 88
United 87

If each team keeps up the same points per game ratio they have now:

Chelsea 93
Spurs 79
City 77
Arsenal 74
Liverpool 72
United 71

Barring and a complete meltdown, even if they fall back to earth, chelsea will finish on at least 86 points. That means Spurs can't lose more than 6 points, city 5, arsenal 3, 'pool 2, and united must win every game left, just to have the chance of beating them on GD

Title race is over

Robertd0803

Im still baffled by the Fabregas goal at the weekend. I was convinced that it hit the advertising hoarding behind the goal with the bounce back and the lack of a celebration from Fabregas that he had missed. Turns out he didn't so I laughed at the mistake and the fact that Fabregas scored against Arsenal.

Classy as well considering the stick the Arsenal fans give him that he didn't celebrate.

CS@SG

Sorry for my ignorance. I seldom watch Chelsea's games. Got a question here. In Conte's 343, who is the player that dictating the play? Like the Carrick/Herrera role for us, or the Carzola/Ozil role for gunners.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Just to put it into perspective:

There are 42 points left. If top 6 teams win all of their games(i know it's impossible but bear with me) the final table will look like this:

Chelsea 101
Spurs 92
City 91
Arsenal 89
Liverpool 88
United 87

If each team keeps up the same points per game ratio they have now:

Chelsea 93
Spurs 79
City 77
Arsenal 74
Liverpool 72
United 71

Barring and a complete meltdown, even if they fall back to earth, chelsea will finish on at least 86 points. That means Spurs can't lose more than 6 points, city 5, arsenal 3, 'pool 2, and united must win every game left, just to have the chance of beating them on GD

Title race is over
SHHHHHH don't have Trebble read this, dont you know la'??? Believe La'!!!! United will win!!!! Hazard can't hit a donkeys arse with a banjo and Costa is already in China! :rolleyes:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry for my ignorance. I seldom watch Chelsea's games. Got a question here. In Conte's 343, who is the player that dictating the play? Like the Carrick/Herrera role for us, or the Carzola/Ozil role for gunners.
Chelsea typically attack with 5 players and defend with 5 players like many other teams, but what is particularly difficult for the opposition is identifying which opposition players are attacking and defending. Generally, the wingbacks are actually attacking with the front three while the central midfielders defend with the back three. Chelsea have been incredibly successful this season at identifying when and how to transition between defense and attack. Consider this-since the switch to the 3-4-3, Chelsea have not conceded a single counterattacking goal. The chance that Firmino blasted into row zed was notable as being the biggest one Chelsea had allowed on the break since the change to the three at the back formation. That speaks to the team being incredibly well drilled, especially through the middle.

In terms of the attack, Chelsea still rely extensively on Hazard for creativity. The big difference between this year and two years ago however is that the structure of the attacks is fundamentally different-Hazard picks up the ball in much further advanced positions, and is in closer to Costa off the bat. Their combination play upon receiving the ball immediately has been a huge key for Chelsea's attack this year-under Mourinho Hazard would receive the ball in wider positions and would be unable to link effectively to Costa.

Aside from Hazard, Matic has been a very important player in an attacking sense-his passing in the final third is seriously underrated. To be honest though Chelsea don't really play with a genuine playmaker unless Fabregas is in the team-opportunities are created via rapid switching of the play from flank to flank and extensive stretching of opposition defenses due to the positioning of the wingbacks. If the opposition is playing exclusively in their own box, then Matic and Kante step forward along with a centre back and Chelsea attack with 8, switching play quickly from side to side and looking for a small mistake-a slow rotation, a missed assignment on a cross, etc.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Hazard.

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
Do chest seal fans think that Conte should go after Griezmann this summer? Alternatively, would he disrupt the Conte system, like many United supporters argue would happen at Old Trofford should he come?

He would be a perfect buy for Conte in my opinion. Him + Hazard + Costa would make them competitive for CL.

AshfordLad

David Luiz and Kante control the tempo with Matic and Luiz picking out passes through the channels.

Treble_Winning

There are now strong rumours that Inter want Conte to be their new manager in the summer. They are apparently willing to pay him £300,000 per week. He is getting paid considerably less at Chelsea.
In addition they are willing to give him a massive transfer kitty.

I wonder what Chelsea fans think about this - their new idol and poster boy could leave after just one season? Will the combination of huge money and a return to his native country prove too hard to resist?

He was even back in Italy over the weekend to watch Juventus vs Inter apparently.

Treble_Winning

David Luiz and Kante control the tempo with Matic and Luiz picking out passes through the channels.
Which is really quite crazy considering they have Fabregas. Conte's refusal to use Fabregas is mind boggling. He is one of the best passers in the league, not to mention incredibly creative. He is a complete twat but a very good player and possibly one of the best in his position alongside Pogba.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
There are now strong rumours that Inter want Conte to be their new manager in the summer. They are apparently willing to pay him £300,000 per week. He is getting paid considerably less at Chelsea.

I wonder what Chelsea fans think about this - their new idol and poster boy could leave after just one season? Will the combination of huge money and a return to his native country prove too hard to resist?

He was even back in Italy over the weekend to watch Juventus vs Inter apparently.
He was there to support Juventus. He's not going anywhere but maybe if you are lucky and keep posting he'll come be Jose's assistant like you suggest is his level.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
There's no way he would leave. He's already dominated Serie A, the challenge is to dominate English football now and win the CL.

Womp

idiot
There's no way he would leave. He's already dominated Serie A, the challenge is to dominate English football now and win the CL.
Aye for how good of a manager he's already proven to be domestically, he has been quite underwhelming in Europe. He seems like a manager who's very good in a marathon, rather than in a sprint.

Claude Makélélé

No. He is till waiting for an invitation from Jose Mourinho for an assistant position. Jose is a damn great manager and Conte's title this year in his CV will certainly help him land that job. But of course the competition is extremely tough as he has to compete with Diego Simeone, Mauricio Pochettino, Thomas Tuchel and Massimiliano Allegri and so on.

podurban2

I can see him and Abramovich clash. Similar to what happened at Juve, Conte has a very big character.

Treble_Winning

No. He is till waiting for an invitation from Jose Mourinho for an assistant position. Jose is a damn great manager and Conte's title this year in his CV will certainly help him land that job. But of course the competition is extremely tough as he has to compete with Diego Simeone, Mauricio Pochettino, Thomas Tuchel and Massimiliano Allegri and so on.
Well that is clearly not going to happen now as he has taken the Chelsea job and has raised his profile with good performances. What I meant was that after his Italy stint (which was not so good) maybe UTD could have tried to offer him a position just as we did with Queiroz years ago. Don't forget that in between two spells as Fergie's assistant he was manager of Real Madrid, and after he left UTD he went on to take the Portugal job. Obviously the stint at UTD did him some good and allowed him to recharge as well as work alongside a great manager.

Mourinho and Conte would have made for an excellent team, but sadly that's gone now. He will either stay at Chelsea or move to Inter. He has lots of potential but he has some way to go before he can be considered world class. If he wins the league this year he would've won titles in two countries. Mourinho has won titles in four (!!!) countries.

Claude Makélélé

Well that is clearly not going to happen now as he has taken the Chelsea job and has raised his profile with good performances. What I meant was that after his Italy stint (which was not so good) maybe UTD could have tried to offer him a position just as we did with Queiroz years ago. Don't forget that in between two spells as Fergie's assistant he was manager of Real Madrid, and after he left UTD he went on to take the Portugal job. Obviously the stint at UTD did him some good and allowed him to recharge as well as work alongside a great manager.

Mourinho and Conte would have made for an excellent team, but sadly that's gone now. He will either stay at Chelsea or move to Inter. He has lots of potential but he has some way to go before he can be considered world class. If he wins the league this year he would've won titles in two countries. Mourinho has won titles in four (!!!) countries.
His records at Euro was hugely bad. I was afraid when he started being in charge at Stamford Bridge then. Yes, when he left Italy in his CV there were only 3 consecutive Serie A. He would have been so lucky if he had been given that assistant job at United, given the fact that Queiroz had won one Spanish Super Cup before landing his dream job as a Fergie's assistant.

Treble_Winning

His records at Euro was hugely bad. I was afraid when he started being in charge at Stamford Bridge then. Yes, when he left Italy in his CV there were only 3 consecutive Serie A. He would have been so lucky if he had been given that assistant job at United, given the fact that Queiroz had won one Spanish Super Cup before landing his dream job as a Fergie's assistant.
Not true. Actually he went from being assistant manager under Fergie to being named manager of Real Madrid. He failed, and returned to Utd. The Utd job allowed him to take stock and recharge his batteries and also work alongside a legendary manager.

Although Conte is now being hyped up as a star manager, it wasn't quite the same immediately during and after the Euros when he really under delivered. That was a winnable competition. The eventual winners weren't very good at all.

AshfordLad

Do chest seal fans think that Conte should go after Griezmann this summer? Alternatively, would he disrupt the Conte system, like many United supporters argue would happen at Old Trofford should he come?

He would be a perfect buy for Conte in my opinion. Him + Hazard + Costa would make them competitive for CL.
We have to keep in mind that 3-4-3 is not Conte's favored system. His preferred formation is a 3-5-2.

If Costa goes back to Athleti, I can see us getting (or atleast trying to get) Griezmann in return. Griezmann will be a perfect foil for a striker similar to Costa (Morata/Icardi?) in a 3-5-2 system.

The only problem with all this is that Hazard will be out of the team if all this came about, which makes it unlikely to happen.

Which is really quite crazy considering they have Fabregas. Conte's refusal to use Fabregas is mind boggling. He is one of the best passers in the league, not to mention incredibly creative. He is a complete twat but a very good player and possibly one of the best in his position alongside Pogba.
David Luiz is almost as good a passer of the ball as Fabregas. Both are much much better passers than Pogba.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
David Luiz is almost as good a passer of the ball as Fabregas. Both are much much better passers than Pogba.
:lol:

Not sure which part of the post is more insane, first or second. I know for some reason few chelsea fans are very much butt hurt about Pogba. Leaving Pogba aside, David Luiz is as good a passer of the ball as Fabregas?

Claude Makélélé

Not true. Actually he went from being assistant manager under Fergie to being named manager of Real Madrid. He failed, and returned to Utd. The Utd job allowed him to take stock and recharge his batteries and also work alongside a legendary manager.

Although Conte is now being hyped up as a star manager, it wasn't quite the same immediately during and after the Euros when he really under delivered. That was a winnable competition. The eventual winners weren't very good at all.
Well, so apparently he (Queiroz) had won nothing special prior his first spell working as an assistant under Fergie then.

No, I don't think Conte is being a star manager. Pep is the star, and so on Mourinho (I am till and always a big fan of him). About Conte, I see him as an ordinary man who always works with his heart, passion, and dedication. A class and respectable person. And a man who will lead us to another level.

Last edited:

Treble_Winning

Hahaha lol it seems like Chelsea fans are losing the plot and getting extremely blinkered as a result of their recent success. Luiz is an awful passer. He is also an awful defender. The only strength he has is his ability to shoot from long distances which means that he sometimes scores spectacular goals. Included in this would be free kicks. However scoring long range goals is hardly a priority when assessing the quality of defenders. And Luiz is a shocking defender.

His defensive flaws are why Conte has deemed it necessary to play both Kante and Matic as DMs, sacrificing Fabregas. As such, Luiz is a total liability, so much so that extra cover has to be brought in to mask his foibles and protect him.

In picking a defender I would rather have someone stable and solid, than someone eccentric and error prone. Even if that means that he can sometimes score great goals. Goal scoring is a job best left for attacking players not centre backs.

Remember Luiz was not even Chelsea's first or second choice. They couldn't sign any of their targets and so they panicked and bought Luiz (and this was after Mourinho sold him for huge money in one of the best transfer deals of all time, they totally mugged PSG). It seems they are still interested in Van Dijk which just shows how much belief they have in Luiz.

AshfordLad

:lol:

Not sure which part of the post is more insane, first or second. I know for some reason few chelsea fans are very much butt hurt about Pogba. Leaving Pogba aside, David Luiz is as good a passer of the ball as Fabregas?
I dont know any Chelsea fans who are butt hurt about Pogba. Maybe you know more Chelsea fans than me ;)

As for just the passing ability, both Luiz and Fabregas are better. Pogba has other qualities that make him altogether a more desirable player but not a better passer that either of the two players.

roonster09

Scout
I dont know any Chelsea fans who are butt hurt about Pogba. Maybe you know more Chelsea fans than me ;)

As for just the passing ability, both Luiz and Fabregas are better. Pogba has other qualities that make him altogether a more desirable player but not a better passer that either of the two players.
Fabregas is better passer than Pogba, I don't have any doubt on that but Luiz? Playing some nice passes from deep won't make him a better passer of the ball than Pogba. I don't know whether some watch Pogba play or just see his goals+assists stats and judge him.

Treble_Winning

Well, so apparently he (Queiroz) had won nothing special prior his first spell working as an assistant under Fergie then.

No, I don't think Conte is being a star manager. Pep is the star, and so on Mourinho (I am till and always a big fan of him). About Conte, I see him as an ordinary man who always works with his heart, passion, and dedication. A class and respectable person. And a man who will lead us to another level.

A classy and respectable person? Yup, such a gentleman that he couldn't even show a bit of respect to Mourinho - a man who helped to build his current team and trained them to be winners (he won the title with them) and also signed almost all of Conte's key players including Costa, Matic, Pedro, Willian and Fabregas, and also made the risky and gutsy call to install Courtois as #1 GK and sell Cech (who was a legendary player so it wasn't an easy decision).

Despite this, Conte still wound up Mourinho and couldn't even bring himself to show a bit of decency to the man upon his return to the Bridge where he was once revered as a Demi-God.

Contrast this with Mourinho, who graciously paid tribute to LVG and even dedicated his first trophy (the community shield) to him. This is what I would describe as classy and respectable.

There was a video of Conte getting physical with one of his assistants. It looked pretty aggressive. If it had been Mourinho, people would have demanded a special inquiry by Parliament. Conte (along with Klopp) is the darling of the media and he gets away with so much. It's almost like people are being brainwashed into thinking that he is the best manager and most decent guy ever.

AshfordLad

Fabregas is better passer than Pogba, I don't have any doubt on that but Luiz? Playing some nice passes from deep won't make him a better passer of the ball than Pogba. I don't know whether some watch Pogba play or just see his goals+assists stats and judge him.
Why not? How else are you supposed to judge passing ability of a player playing in a deep position compared to one playing well forward.

I have never rated Pogba's passing that much. For me, his shooting and dribbling are world class but passing is only good to average.

roonster09

Scout
Why not? How else are you supposed to judge passing ability of a player playing in a deep position compared to one playing well forward.

I have never rated Pogba's passing that much. For me, his shooting and dribbling are world class but passing is only good to average.
Pogba's long range passing is class and it's no point discussion if you think Luiz is better, even more ridiculous is saying Luiz is better passer than Fabregas.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Pogba is a magnificent passer. He has clean technique, a quick release of the ball, good vision and the complete passing range. His short passing is neat & direct and in terms of accurate long balls he's one of the best in the world.

One reason people don't get that is that United has no developed midfield game as of now. They often bypass CM with far too direct passes from deep or stall the effectiveness of the CMs short passing with slow movement off the ball.

Although they are different players, the overall situation is pretty similar to Chelsea and Hazard last year, actually. Which leads to the same kind of misjudgement of the teams' best creative player. The coach happens to be the same too, but I'd wait another season to see if he can turn it around.

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea

Yes, definitely, I can see him going back to Inter to try to dominate Serie A, a league which he's never dominated. New challenge. Inter also clearly have a lot more money to blow than Chelsea so no chance Chelsea would be able to match such wages. Thankfully though, as has been pointed out, this would eventually help Conte build up his CV for his dream job as Mourinho's assistant at United. It all makes sense.

Griezmann is an unrealistic target but sure he'd fit right in. I'd rather go after Sanchez though as he seems to be unsettled at Arsenal. He would fit even better than Griezmann.

Chelsea typically attack with 5 players and defend with 5 players like many other teams, but what is particularly difficult for the opposition is identifying which opposition players are attacking and defending. Generally, the wingbacks are actually attacking with the front three while the central midfielders defend with the back three. Chelsea have been incredibly successful this season at identifying when and how to transition between defense and attack. Consider this-since the switch to the 3-4-3, Chelsea have not conceded a single counterattacking goal. The chance that Firmino blasted into row zed was notable as being the biggest one Chelsea had allowed on the break since the change to the three at the back formation. That speaks to the team being incredibly well drilled, especially through the middle.

In terms of the attack, Chelsea still rely extensively on Hazard for creativity. The big difference between this year and two years ago however is that the structure of the attacks is fundamentally different-Hazard picks up the ball in much further advanced positions, and is in closer to Costa off the bat. Their combination play upon receiving the ball immediately has been a huge key for Chelsea's attack this year-under Mourinho Hazard would receive the ball in wider positions and would be unable to link effectively to Costa.

Aside from Hazard, Matic has been a very important player in an attacking sense-his passing in the final third is seriously underrated. To be honest though Chelsea don't really play with a genuine playmaker unless Fabregas is in the team-opportunities are created via rapid switching of the play from flank to flank and extensive stretching of opposition defenses due to the positioning of the wingbacks. If the opposition is playing exclusively in their own box, then Matic and Kante step forward along with a centre back and Chelsea attack with 8, switching play quickly from side to side and looking for a small mistake-a slow rotation, a missed assignment on a cross, etc.
Very good explanation. Next season, it'll be a bit different as there's every indication that we'll switch to a 3-5-2.

Stocar

They really are a solid and functional unit, with some elite talent in attack. No wonder they are running away with the title. However, their reactive style is sometimes exposed in big matches. Recently, for example, Spurs overpowered them and against City they were all over the place. But in the end, they are the best in EPL this year.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Conte's preferred formation is not 352 but 424. Unfortunately for him all the times he tryed it at all clubs where he has been manager, it didnt work.