Chelsea 2016/17 - Very Content

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
He at least has a solid point, given that Chelsea is 8 points clear at top of the league if Man City can beat United in the match later and 10 points if they can't. This is the biggest gap between 1st and 2nd teams in Europe top 5 leagues. That is the fact.

There are many speculation and arrogance in this threat. Claiming Chelsea's current success is because of Mourinho's foundation first - not Conte's hard-working and effort, even when he has made 7 changes to the team of 11 men - is full of rubbish speculation. Stating that 12 points (or possible 15) is a slim gap is arrogant. I know United is a good team but I am confidence Chelsea is not so weak that 12 points below them is only a slim gap.
no he doesnt have a solid point...Conte is a very good manager, but so is Mourinho and is already proven in the PL

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
He at least has a solid point, given that Chelsea is 8 points clear at top of the league if Man City can beat United in the match later and 10 points if they can't. This is the biggest gap between 1st and 2nd teams in Europe top 5 leagues. That is the fact.

There are many speculation and arrogance in this threat. Claiming Chelsea's current success is because of Mourinho's foundation first - not Conte's hard-working and effort, even when he has made 7 changes to the team of 11 men - is full of rubbish speculation. Stating that 12 points (or possible 15) is a slim gap is arrogant. I know United is a good team but I am confidence Chelsea is not so weak that 12 points below them is only a slim gap.
Most of these other leagues don't have a team at the top with zero European games and being able to focus on one game a week. It's a big advantage

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely. I wonder about whether its a purple patch or whether this system just suites him so well and puts in in positions to score. Still up in the air for me, and it certainly isnt the most pressing position. Im wondering whether a 3412 would work, with hazard behind Costa and Lukaku/Morata. Kind of a mix in between 352 and 343. But hazard is poor defensively as it is, im not sure if that would leave us too vulnerable and both wingbacks would need replacing.
I'm kind of surprised he hasn't really tried two up front already (apart from little periods chasing wins). I know he doesn't seem to rate Batshuayi, but it would be interesting to see it tried against a small team.

As for Pedro, I don't know either. He does seem to pretty much disappear sometimes, but then again so does Eden, so it might just be a winger thing. I still think LB is our most pressing need, as much as Alonso has done a decent job I still think he's the weak link.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Absolutely. I wonder about whether its a purple patch or whether this system just suites him so well and puts in in positions to score. Still up in the air for me, and it certainly isnt the most pressing position. Im wondering whether a 3412 would work, with hazard behind Costa and Lukaku/Morata. Kind of a mix in between 352 and 343. But hazard is poor defensively as it is, im not sure if that would leave us too vulnerable and both wingbacks would need replacing.
Pedro's a great player. If we're going to improve on any out of the front 3 it'll be Diego Costa.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Seems absurd to say doesn't it? 4th leading scorer in the League, scored several huge goals early on in the season but I stand by what I said.

If we're going to seriously contend in Europe next season with the same tactics & system then Costa needs to be replaced for a striker more suited for associative play.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Seems absurd to say doesn't it? 4th leading scorer in the League, scored several huge goals early on in the season but I stand by what I said.

If we're going to seriously contend in Europe next season with the same tactics & system then Costa needs to be replaced for a striker more suited for associative play.
Costa has one of the best goal returns in Premier League history. He also fits perfectly into our team after what felt like endless years of misfiring strikers at the bridge. We have someone who works and works well, I wouldn't change him for a second and risk things going back how they were.

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
Pedro's a great player. If we're going to improve on any out of the front 3 it'll be Diego Costa.
that will be difficult as when he is on form, he is one of the most complete strikers to ever wear a Chelsea shirt

Supermonkey

Supports
Chelsea
I'm kind of surprised he hasn't really tried two up front already (apart from little periods chasing wins). I know he doesn't seem to rate Batshuayi, but it would be interesting to see it tried against a small team.

As for Pedro, I don't know either. He does seem to pretty much disappear sometimes, but then again so does Eden, so it might just be a winger thing. I still think LB is our most pressing need, as much as Alonso has done a decent job I still think he's the weak link.
I think Moses is more pressing. Way more defensively weak, its because we have Azpi on that side that nothing materialises. That's also why I think the opportunity is greater on the rwb position, we can afford to have a more attacking option. Alonso also allows us to move to a back 4 easily. Plus Moses hitting the first man with every cross kills me.

Cahill needs an upgrade. Im interested in recalling Christensen who seems to finally be attempting the type of play he did at youth level. Him and Luiz could be great building from the back. Unless a real quality cb is available I wouldnt spend money.

Rwb, Lwb and Cm would be fantastic, plus recalling Christensen. Add to that i think fabregas seems happy as a squad player and will atleast be here next season i think we could give a good go. If Sanchez or Lukaku becomes available i'd even go for a cheeky CL run.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

3KDré

How on earth are you going to improve on Costa? There is literally no one available.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I think Moses is more pressing. Way more defensively weak, its because we have Azpi on that side that nothing materialises. That's also why I think the opportunity is greater on the rwb position, we can afford to have a more attacking option. Alonso also allows us to move to a back 4 easily. Plus Moses hitting the first man with every cross kills me.
I'm not sure there is much more of an attacking option than Moses. It seems strange to call him defensively weak (which is true) but also call for someone more attack minded. I do agree his crossing is frequently painful though. ;)

Cahill needs an upgrade. Im interested in recalling Christensen who seems to finally be attempting the type of play he did at youth level. Him and Luiz could be great building from the back. Unless a real quality cb is available I wouldnt spend money.
I understand the plan is that Christensen is coming home next year anyway, so I was kind of assuming he'd be stepping in. With Zouma back now also, CB seems pretty much sorted and I'd actually be a bit worried if we looked to buy in someone new. Christensen looks like the real deal, and I'd hate him to leave because of a perceived lack of oppoortunity. Christensen-Luiz-Zouma would be incredible, although then it'd mean pushing Azpi out to wingback and he's not the most attack minded. It'll be interesting to see what Conte decides.

Rwb, Lwb and Cm would be fantastic, plus recalling Christensen. Add to that i think fabregas seems happy as a squad player and will atleast be here next season i think we could give a good go. If Sanchez or Lukaku becomes available i'd even go for a cheeky CL run.
I'd take Sanchez in a heartbeat given the opportunity, and I agree about the positions. Not sure about Romelu, I was a big fan and his goal rate is impressive, but I suspect he would annoy the hell out of us frequently and I certainly wouldn't drop Costa for him.

Supermonkey

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not sure there is much more of an attacking option than Moses. It seems strange to call him defensively weak (which is true) but also call for someone more attack minded. I do agree his crossing is frequently painful though. ;)

I understand the plan is that Christensen is coming home next year anyway, so I was kind of assuming he'd be stepping in. With Zouma back now also, CB seems pretty much sorted and I'd actually be a bit worried if we looked to buy in someone new. Christensen looks like the real deal, and I'd hate him to leave because of a perceived lack of oppoortunity. Christensen-Luiz-Zouma would be incredible, although then it'd mean pushing Azpi out to wingback and he's not the most attack minded. It'll be interesting to see what Conte decides.

I'd take Sanchez in a heartbeat given the opportunity, and I agree about the positions. Not sure about Romelu, I was a big fan and his goal rate is impressive, but I suspect he would annoy the hell out of us frequently and I certainly wouldn't drop Costa for him.
Yeh, good points. Regarding moses I think he is so poor defensively that there are other RM that could do the job better on the defensive side. I have heard that Bernadeshi could play WB and he would be another world offensively compared to Moses. Basically someone was is adequate defensively but much more efficient offensively.

With Lukaku I would only take him back to partner Costa, obviously it would have to be a choice between Lukaku and Sanchez if either if these fairy tales were likely options.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Yeh, good points. Regarding moses I think he is so poor defensively that there are other RM that could do the job better on the defensive side. I have heard that Bernadeshi could play WB and he would be another world offensively compared to Moses. Basically someone was is adequate defensively but much more efficient offensively.
To be fair, I think I just feel a bit sentimental towards Moses. I know there are better options out there, but after he played his heart out pre-season after pre-season and was never given a chance, it would feel a bit cold to just dump him after he's made such a positive impact on us. I know that wouldn't stop it happening of course, but..

salford_

You're right, Conte has only won 20 of his first 26 league games. We should sack him and try again with a manager of a similar level, like Ryan Giggs or Gary Neville.
how dare Conte get any praise! thats mourinho's foundations dont you know, and i hope when you win it you give mourinho a congratulatory hand shake

salford_

I like Treble but he does seem a bit bitter of what Conte is doing he seems to throw a negative spin at it all the time and throw Mourinhos name in the mix. Conte is a bloody good manager, and has every opportunity to become one of the best in the world.
His side are the best in the league, not Jose's, not Hiddink's.. Conte's

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He tried it with both hazard and pedro at the beginning of the season. Just didn't have the defenders who could allow him playing with hazard, diego costa, pedro and willian/fabregas. In possession pedro is essentially playing as a second striker anyways

Also, if zouma, ake and christensen convince him, i think he might try going back to a back four

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
lets see if this squad evolves into a 424 that Conte so desires.
A few tweaks here and there with natural changes such as players moving on and/or coming to the end of their Chelsea career could well see this happen over next couple of seasons

Claude Makélélé

Pedro will be even better when playing Champions League next season. I feel he is more suitable to that competition than Premier League. But about Diego I think it will extremely difficult to replace him. There is no other striker in the world can match his aggressiveness (positive aggressiveness) and only few strikers can match his goal scoring instincts. All his goals for us this season are vital (either help us take the lead or equalize or confirm victories).

Many things can change this summer. I don't think Conte is satisfied with this squad yet. Last summer apparently the club couldn't get players that he wanted (but he's till doing such a good job so far). This summer hopefully he can get what he wants.

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
Yes of course this is the Chelsea thread so the discussion should be about Chelsea. But that doesn't mean that any discussion of Chelsea should not include some balanced and fair minded criticism of Chelsea, and that only exaggerated OTT praise of Chelsea is in order. For example Chelsea have looked very vulnerable against crosses and aerial balls as evidenced by Llorente's goal. So why should they be exempt from more critical scrutiny especially when it's completely fair.
The real problem is, you can't stand praise for any team not named United. Ridiculous :lol:

They've done well, but they're definitely not even close to being a world class champion team. Many previous title winners have been more impressive and that includes previous Chelsea teams such as the 04/05 squad or the 09/10 squad. In fact of all Chelsea's title winning squads this is probably the weakest. They would probably even lose a head to head match up against the 14/15 squad. Mourinho's Chelsea broke the points record and Ancelotti's Chelsea broke the goals record, now that's what I would call a historical achievement, this team just lacks that special X factor.
Look at the last 5 teams to win titles between Chelsea's 09/10 team and this current season, how many of those teams did something historical? I'll wait.

Also, you need to pick a position and stop flip flopping. Are we a weak, problematic team that's getting overrated and probably aren't going to win the league (because United will win it) this season or are we a team of strong, experienced champions inherited by Conte who only had to give a pep talk to get to the top of the league again? You can't have it both ways mate.

And honestly UTD aren't that far behind them. The margins are slimmer than people think. UTD are getting a lot of unfair criticism while Chelsea are getting a lot of exaggerated praise. We will challenge them next season and it will be neck and neck. I also think we are better equipped for a deep run in the CL than them.
Mate, you're 15 points behind Chelsea. During your unbeaten run, you've won 34 points. Chelsea (while losing and drawing games during the same period) have won 41 (44, really, but I'll be fair). Does that mean your current scintillating form still isn't good enough to at least match this "weak" and "overrated" Chelsea team? Does that say a lot about United or about Chelsea?

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah that's ridiculous. In the past 12 years, the only striker who's made more of an impact on Chelsea than Costa is Drogba. Anelka was great for one season. Costa already has more than one season of being great. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'd rather not go back to the Torres years of having shit luck with strikers. Thanks but no thanks. Very few strikers in the world better than Costa overall and even at goal scoring and none of them are available anyway. If Lewandoski was available, sure, I'd agree with you. Otherwise, every other option you could named (save for Suarez and maybe Aguero) is below him.

Lukaku? Absolutely not. Extremely streaky striker. Score a hat trick in one match, score another goal in the next and go the following 7 games without a goal. Score another 1 and go another 4 without a goal. Stat pad with another hat trick. Wash, rinse, repeat. Absolutely not the kind of striker we should be going after if we're trying to win the CL. And his first touch is worse than Costa's. He's terrible in the air for a guy of his size and he's basically useless with his back to goal. No chance. He could very well improve in the coming seasons but we don't have the time for that.

Also think we're forgetting Ake here. I'm not sure what Conte is going to do but Ake basically can't have a starting spot in the team. Christensen is a better player and is probably the first choice to replace Cahill. Zouma isn't good enough to be kicking Azpi out just yet. Still makes bone headed mistakes. Was at fault for Arsenal's consolation goal and almost laid one on a platter for George Saville the other day in the FA Cup. Saved by the bar. He has a lot of improving to do. For my money, it would be Christensen-Luiz-Azpi most of next season in the league. Cahill for CL games and Ake for EFL & FA Cup games.

I think we're most likely getting a new CM and a new RWB. If we want to win the CL, we'd need a new LWB too. We might end up spending up to 100m.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
I already said I doubt anyone would agree with my thoughts about Costa but I still think if we're going to compete in the Champions League then he needs to be replaced. He's an excellent goalscorer but the rest of his game is frequently found wanting.

If we can find a Drogba esque player that can hold up play, link up with others & create chances even if he isn't as prolific then I say pull the trigger.

Treble_Winning

I wonder if Chelsea fans ever regret the fact that some of their promising youth players weren't given a chance?

De Bruyne, Lukaku and Sturridge are the high profile examples. But yesterday during the cup final Bertrand had an excellent game. Explosive pace. Constant threat down the left. I can't imagine that he is worse than Alonso defensively or offensively?

Serious question - do you guys sometimes wish you had a different approach towards youth? Bertrand could have played for you guys and been groomed as a successor for Ashley Cole.

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
I wonder if Chelsea fans ever regret the fact that some of their promising youth players weren't given a chance?

De Bruyne, Lukaku and Sturridge are the high profile examples. But yesterday during the cup final Bertrand had an excellent game. Explosive pace. Constant threat down the left. I can't imagine that he is worse than Alonso defensively or offensively?

Serious question - do you guys sometimes wish you had a different approach towards youth? Bertrand could have played for you guys and been groomed as a successor for Ashley Cole.
Well you can thank Mourinho for selling those De Bruyne and Lukaku. He also sold Bertrand and Romeu to Southampton. It's a bummer but oh well. You can be certain that young players who weren't already regulars (like Rashford and Lingard) in your team pre Jose have zero chance of becoming regulars while he's at your club. Zouma was the only one who really got decent game time. But if you keep winning, it won't really matter.

I already said I doubt anyone would agree with my thoughts about Costa but I still think if we're going to compete in the Champions League then he needs to be replaced. He's an excellent goalscorer but the rest of his game is frequently found wanting.

If we can find a Drogba esque player that can hold up play, link up with others & create chances even if he isn't as prolific then I say pull the trigger.
Well, that's hard to find. Lukaku certainly doesn't fit that profile. Got anyone in mind?

BlueViper

Supports
Chelsea

Yeah it's sad. I wish our manager gave Bertrand a chance. If only we had someone like Mourinho at the time.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

De Bruyne is the only one I really regret, I think it was possibly the most damaging decision Jose made in his time with us (although the Eva Caniero one was morally worse of course, and the one I can't forgive him for). Sturridge could have been great for us, but at the time he came across as very selfish and not really a team player. His goal return at Chelsea was only 13 in 63 too, so I can understand why the club weren't willing to make him the main striker at that point.

Lukaku I was sad about at the time, but he's a very frustrating player and his behaviour with talking to the press is something that annoys me a lot. Bertrand meanwhile never seemed to me like a player with a future at Chelsea. I'm grateful for what he did for us in his time at the Bridge, and he's really improved since, but it's always felt like although he'd have been an improvement over some players there in the past (and maybe even currently), there's a lot better players we should be looking towards.

Of all of those though, only Bertrand is a real youth player in the sense of having come up through the academy system, the others were all purchased as young adults. We're actually making promising progress this year with bringing through the long time academy kids, with Chalobah in particular looking the most likely to break through. Really pleased for the lad, as it looked like his chance had passed after a couple of bad loans. Still crossing my fingers for RLC too, he's getting appearances but we're still waiting for him to really have the kind of impact that matches his vast potential.

Supermonkey

Supports
Chelsea

Bertrand, yes. De Bruyne for sure. Lukaku was the right decision whether we end up going for him or not, it turned out best for him at Everton and us with Costa.

Sturridge, no. Apparently, many at the club thought he had attitude problems and he is made of glass so for every magical season he gives, you also get 2 sprinkled with injury.

Though I wouldn't put all of the blame on the club. Bertrand was not getting in while azpi was the best defender in the league and Ivanovic was in his prime. It was poor timing for him, though he did get to start in the CL final! KDB was too self driven. Mourinho doesnt deserve too much blame for selling a player that would leave if he didnt get first team football (though JM really didnt give him any chance so it was a messy one).

Treble_Winning

Bertrand, yes. De Bruyne for sure. Lukaku was the right decision whether we end up going for him or not, it turned out best for him at Everton and us with Costa.

Sturridge, no. Apparently, many at the club thought he had attitude problems and he is made of glass so for every magical season he gives, you also get 2 sprinkled with injury.

Though I wouldn't put all of the blame on the club. Bertrand was not getting in while azpi was the best defender in the league and Ivanovic was in his prime. It was poor timing for him, though he did get to start in the CL final! KDB was too self driven. Mourinho doesnt deserve too much blame for selling a player that would leave if he didnt get first team football (though JM really didnt give him any chance so it was a messy one).
I do think that if you had De Bruyne, Bertrand and Sturridge in your squad right now, you would be a much better side, and possibly one that could have legitimate aspirations to win the CL or at least make a deep run (semis or finals).

Bertrand is definitely better than Alonso, Sturridge would be good backup for Costa and would offer a more direct approach. De Bruyne would start ahead of Pedro or Willian for sure.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to alienate your youth prospects. I am happy that Jose isn't selling or loaning out Rashford.

AshfordLad

I do think that if you had De Bruyne, Bertrand and Sturridge in your squad right now, you would be a much better side, and possibly one that could have legitimate aspirations to win the CL or at least make a deep run (semis or finals).

Bertrand is definitely better than Alonso, Sturridge would be good backup for Costa and would offer a more direct approach. De Bruyne would start ahead of Pedro or Willian for sure.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to alienate your youth prospects. I am happy that Jose isn't selling or loaning out Rashford.
You are forgetting that Felipe Luis (who was the best left back in the world during 2013-14) could not get into Chelsea team the next season. Bertrand had no chance of getting any game time.

It is ludicrous to suggest that we should have given up on 2014-15 PL title to have a deep CL run 3 years later. :lol:

Last edited:

Claude Makélélé

But do you know who let those players go? It's Jose. Conte expressed his disappointment before City match this season for the fact that Bruyne left Chelsea and there are so many reports that he also wants Lukaku back. He would love to have 2 those players in his team.

But I don't criticize Jose for letting those players go. Lukaku + 4M = Diego was a brilliant deal at that time, given the fact that Lukaku himself wanted to go after missing a crucial penalty in a cup match. Bruyne didn't have confidence in the pitch when playing under Jose. Sturridge, untill now he still has more days in hospital than in the training field. Bertrand? At that time we played with back fours and if you see Azpilicueta at your position on the left (who kicked both Ashley Cole and Felipe Luis out), you would better go.

There are some signals that Conte is going to use club's young talents. Moses is important squad member, while Ake, Chalobah, Aina are being used recently. Tammy (18 goals in championship), Christensen (one of best young defenders in Germany) are two other very good players who can have their chances next year. We all hope so. Let's see what will happen.

salford_

Treble seems to forget its his beloved Jose who let those players go. Bertrand was confirmed under Hiddink, but he didnt allow a loan with buy deal to be done, that was Jose. All so he could sign another left back for X amount of million. Its how he is,and always will be

Dont kid yourself that if LVG hadnt given Rashford a debut, Mourinho would have. Nope

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,

found wanting....he is miles better than Drogba was at link up play,.
Drogba only had 2 or 3 complete good seasons out the many he was the club.
Drogba legendary status seems to reached ridiculous levels since he left.
Remember for most seasons he was the most frustrating striker to watch with his play acting, going missing in a lot of games , and his petulance.
His knack of scoring in finals plus the 2 or 3 prolific seasons he had paper over a lot of the cracks that blue tinted specs cant see through

AshfordLad

While I dont agree with this notion for Costa, I hold similar view about Hazard.

With Hazard being the focal point of our attack, I dont think we can ever challenge top european teams the way we did 2004-2010. That team was truly among european elite and everyone feared drawing Chelsea.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Diego Costa is better at link up play than a guy that had multiple 10 assist seasons?

Call me whenever Costa pulls off something like this without falling over his arse.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
While I dont agree with this notion for Costa, I hold similar view about Hazard.

With Hazard being the focal point of our attack, I dont think we can ever challenge top european teams the way we did 2004-2010. That team was truly among european elite and everyone feared drawing Chelsea.
Absolute nonsense. It's the other way around. We won the Europa League & reached a CL Semi-Final in Hazard's first two seasons before Costa's arrival.

Go watch the home leg against PSG (vs 10 men) in 14/15 & compare the performances of Hazard & Costa then get back to me.

AshfordLad

Absolute nonsense. It's the other way around. We won the Europa League & reached a CL Semi-Final in Hazard's first two seasons before Costa's arrival.
More like you dont understand football enough to make sense of it.

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,

Go watch the home leg against PSG (vs 10 men) in 14/15 & compare the performances of Hazard & Costa then get back to me.
as we are picking out individual matches
go watch the Moscow final.....talk about being let down by our alleged talisman.

P.S. dont bother calling me

Francoruud

Supports
Chelsea
found wanting....he is miles better than Drogba was at link up play,.
Drogba only had 2 or 3 complete good seasons out the many he was the club.
Drogba legendary status seems to reached ridiculous levels since he left.
Remember for most seasons he was the most frustrating striker to watch with his play acting, going missing in a lot of games , and his petulance.
His knack of scoring in finals plus the 2 or 3 prolific seasons he had paper over a lot of the cracks that blue tinted specs cant see through
Not sure what you're on about. Drogba's link up play with Kalou, Malouda, Joe Cole, Anelka and Lampard over the years was something special. Costa would do well to reach that level. Drogba was also one of the greatest in the history of football when it came to back-to-goal play. You can quote me on that. While Costa's pretty good at it, he's no Drogba. (Lukaku on the other hand is fecking terrible at it)

MadMike

Not sure what you're on about. Drogba's link up play with Kalou, Malouda, Joe Cole, Anelka and Lampard over the years was something special. Costa would do well to reach that level. Drogba was also one of the greatest in the history of football when it came to back-to-goal play. You can quote me on that. While Costa's pretty good at it, he's no Drogba. (Lukaku on the other hand is fecking terrible at it)
Agree on all the points. Lukaku seems more comfortable running at players than with his back to goal too, strangely enough. I think his close control lets him down when he's got a defender nudging him on the back.

BonkersIam

Supports
Vitesse, KSV, Rangers,
urm...like I said....Drogba only had 2 or 3 decent full seasons .
Chelsea fans didnt really warm to him for the first couple especially as he was diving all over the shop, clumsy and lazy in general play etc...however he did start scoring a few which papered over the cracks.
Back then , I saw a lot more of Chelsea than I do now (40-50 matches a season compared to 20 odd now) and find it amusing how some of the same fans (especially on media) who were frustrated about his play now fawn over him with their blue timted specs as if he were god like and was brilliant at everything..... he wasnt and far from it