Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Does anyone really think Chelsea will ever get back to the force they were from 2005-2010 in Europe?

I honestly believe they are finished as a top club in Europe. Arsenal is their level from now on.
It's certainly the most precarious moment of the Abramovic era.

Mourinho's first side served them well even during the years when they were being mismanaged by the likes of Scolari, AVB & Di Matteo and then fair play to Mourinho he rebuilt the side again bringing in the likes of Costa, Matic & Fabregas but since then Conte and now Sarri have done a right number on it and with Hazard potentially leaving in the summer it does leave them pretty fecked especially when the best their recruitment can bring in is the likes of a 31 year old Higuain and Pulisic who's warming the bench at Dortmund.

All it takes is for Hazard to stay and a couple of good signings rather than the dross they've brought in over the last two years and they could easily be up there again though. Like I said it's extremely precarious at the moment...

Patrick08

Remember when Chelsea beat Tottenham 1-2 away and Alonso scored a brace? He was genuinely magnificent that match. He won Chelsea the game on his own. Other than Marcelo occasionally Alba I can’t think of any other fullbacks who have decided the outcome of a big game like that.

He is an excellent wingback, but not good enough to play as a fullback in a 4 man defence.
Arsenal's Kolasinac has the same problem as well.

Bojan11

The FA Cup last season for a start.

Look at Chelsea's performances over the past decade. They routinely win cups even in off seasons. Even Rafa Benitez left Chelsea with a cup.

I can see Chelsea players basically saving themselves for the cup competitions from here on.

Chelsea's squad is weaker than it has been in the past, its not so weak that with maximum application they couldn't still win a cup or two this season. Nobody can tell me that Chelsea's players were risking injury and throwing themselves into every 50/50 yesterday. We've seen this from them before many times. In their heads the league is done and they will only turn up to spoil it for someone else e.g. when they did Spurs for Leicester in 2015-16. The cups will be where the players actually give their all.

It might sound stupid after yesterday but I wouldn't bet against Chelsea beating City in the League Cup final in a couple of weeks time.
The last decade they had a different squad. I just told you their last successful league winning team is broken up. Most of those players don’t play for them or getting old.

Yes any team can beat anybody on their day. They can apply to anyone in the premier league. Chelsea have been bang average. The FA cup last season was more down to us being inept. They parked the bus and obviously under Jose we won’t have any clue how to break down a team.

RG 11

Mourinho's first side served them well even during the years when they were being mismanaged by the likes of Scolari, AVB & Di Matteo and then fair play to Mourinho he rebuilt the side again bringing in the likes of Costa, Matic & Fabregas but since then Conte and now Sarri have done a right number on it and with Hazard potentially leaving in the summer it does leave them pretty fecked especially when the best their recruitment can bring in is the likes of a 31 year old Higuain and Pulisic who's warming the bench at Dortmund.

All it takes is for Hazard to stay and a couple of good signings rather than the dross they've brought in over the last two years and they could easily be up there again though. Like I said it's extremely precarious at the moment...
That first mourinho side had 3 huge characters in Terry Lampard and Drogba. Which is why I think they were able to stay fairly successful even after mourinho left the first time.

Currently, I don't see that character in the team. And I think Roman has reduced his investment in the club significantly as well, right?

Bojan11

That first mourinho side had 3 huge characters in Terry Lampard and Drogba. Which is why I think they were able to stay fairly successful even after mourinho left the first time.

Currently, I don't see that character in the team. And I think Roman has reduced his investment in the club significantly as well, right?
It had more than 3 characters.

They had Cech, Carvalho, Essien and Cole too. They had a consistent base of winners. Just needed the right managers.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
People are going overboard based on the City game, it was a freak scoreline. The first 4 goals are 3 massive errors and a screamer, you can’t account for those. First 30 minutes was pretty even, 1-0 city was probably fair at that point (if we disregard the errors). Heads dropped from 4-0 and the 2nd half was much more one aided than the 2nd, despite the smaller scoreline. Just a freak game where city scored every chance first half bar the Aguero miss. Yes Chelsea are a long way behind and are playing poorly but I don’t think much can be taken from the game yesterday really.

tomaldinho1

Bit harsh on Conte, who came in and dominated the PL in his first season after Mou's disaster season. This is what prompted Pep's big summer blowout the transfer window IMO (Finishing 15 points behind Conte).

Chelsea are a weird one, they are the most successful PL club of the last decade but it almost feels like a new team every year. I think the mentality side is where they are weak - it's as if they don't really care about their erratic form and are now just waiting to see who comes in post Sarri. same as they did 2nd season with Conte, same as they did 3rd season with Mou... when things are going well, they're great but once they drop a few points it's like they just give up.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bit harsh on Conte, who came in and dominated the PL in his first season after Mou's disaster season. This is what prompted Pep's big summer blowout the transfer window IMO (Finishing 15 points behind Conte).
But look what Conte did in that second summer! Gets rid of Costa and Matic and replaces them with Morata and Bakayoko.

tomaldinho1

But look what Conte did in that second summer! Gets rid of Costa and Matic and replaces them with Morata and Bakayoko.
Wasn't the issue that he had no say on transfers? From articles at the time he had asked for neither Morata or Bakayoko if I remember correctly

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
People are going overboard based on the City game, it was a freak scoreline. The first 4 goals are 3 massive errors and a screamer, you can’t account for those. First 30 minutes was pretty even, 1-0 city was probably fair at that point (if we disregard the errors). Heads dropped from 4-0 and the 2nd half was much more one aided than the 2nd, despite the smaller scoreline. Just a freak game where city scored every chance first half bar the Aguero miss. Yes Chelsea are a long way behind and are playing poorly but I don’t think much can be taken from the game yesterday really.
Nah Kante would have literally intercepted at least 3 goals.

robbie81

Supports
Chelsea

Chelsea are a weird one, they are the most successful PL club of the last decade but it almost feels like a new team every year. I think the mentality side is where they are weak - it's as if they don't really care about their erratic form and are now just waiting to see who comes in post Sarri. same as they did 2nd season with Conte, same as they did 3rd season with Mou... when things are going well, they're great but once they drop a few points it's like they just give up.
This is the issue, once we are behind we suck. Doesn't even matter how bad the team is we are playing.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's certainly the most precarious moment of the Abramovic era. ...
It's been building for a while.

If they fail to finish top 4 then next season will be their 2nd straight season in the EL - when did that last happen?Couple that with the freezing of their new stadium plans and Hazard's likely departure and I start to wonder if this is the start of Chelsea's slide back to where they came from pre-Abramovich.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I've seen a couple of fans trying to defend the Chelsea game. Sorry to say chap, but you need to get real, you were dominated, outclassed and rightfully beaten.

City could have made it worse, they practically played like they were in third gear and still ruined you.

The scoreline was not flattering.

You are dreaming if you think that performance was anything other than a complete disgrace from Chelsea.

I've just gone back to remind myself..
First goal shit defending, ball crosses area for a tap in
Second goal world class finish from Aguero, but two Chelsea players basically let him shuffle to the right for the shot, no sense of urgency.
Third goal..forget mistake it was pure stupidity. Who in their right mind defends a ball by heading it right towards the middle of their area.
Fourth goal..similar to Aguero, edge of the box, no defensive shape, great strike but there to be had
Fifth goal...crap tackle, rightful penalty, more shit defending
Sixth goal..more crap defending and a tap in

Even forgetting all 6 of those goals, Aguero missed an easy tap in, just missed connection with a diving header which would have been a goal and Jesus had a one on one which was well saved, but there to be scored. This could have made it 9

Chelsea had a few chances that were far from clear cut. One in middle of the area that was well managed by keeper, but not much to do. There was the Higuan save that was a brilliant shot and great save, but there to be saved as just above him. De Gea would have made that look far less dramatic.

Beyond that it was nothing chances like the Hazard run with weak shot at the end that was going wide anyway.

Last edited:

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
Hopefully Abramovich gets bored of football and these idiots drop out leaving us with one less team to compete with.

SungSam7

When was last time Abramovich was seen? He used to go to every game.
Think the UK denied him a visa during the summer and has failed to get one since. I remember reading the UK and Russian connection has been fragile since Russia has been accused of poisoning someone on British soil.

paulscholes18

Just don’t get the subs they made, made 3 changes all pointless and changed nothing also seems to make the same 2 subs every game, Barkley & kovacic, Willian & Pedro. Losing 2-0 why not take off Jorginho/ Kante for Giroud and Azpilicueta for Odoi

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
They'll be an absolute nothing team once Hazard leaves. The rest of their frontline is north of 30 (besides the incoming Pulisic), their midfield looks decidedly average, and Kepa looks like a costly mistake. Every time I watch them play recently, I look at the squad & think, which of those players would I really want here... & besides Kante/Hazard, & perhaps Willian/Pedro as a bench option? I can't think of any.

TsuWave

Hazard & Kante, if you guys want to play for a team that's going places and don't wanna have a hipster chainsmoking manager playing you out of position...COME TO DEATHROW!!!

Pagh Wraith

I know I'm hating on him a lot on here but Barkley's cameo was really special. Performed all his party pieces today. And the shot he took was really pointless even by his standards.

Also:

:lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Clearly Sarri system not working, Kante offers almost nothing against good opposition in it. Very obvious. Need to change Kante or change the system, and Alonso!

Best we've played recently was first half v Malmo without Hazard and Kante. If Sarri cant' see the issues and make changes he deserves to go.

Trizy

Felt we won as soon as Barkley stepped on the pitch. He was never gonna do feck all.

Hazard please feck off to Madrid so this septic club and disappear from top 4.

Bobski

I find it hard to believe that a professional manager can start Alonso and Luiz as the left side of a back 4. Alonso as a full back is one of the weakest defensively in the entire PL, he is an effective WB but as a full back it is such an obvious vulnerability to attack. Then you have Luiz as the other part of that pairing. With Hazard playing left side and drifting around opening the flank.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I know I'm hating on him a lot on here but Barkley's cameo was really special. Performed all his party pieces today. And the shot he took was really pointless even by his standards.

Also:

:lol:
:lol: That tweet.

Vadim

Felt we won as soon as Barkley stepped on the pitch. He was never gonna do feck all.

Hazard please feck off to Madrid so this septic club and disappear from top 4.
Top 6 you mean. They haven’t been a Top 4 club for a while.

Djemba-Djemba

Entire gameplan revolves around hoping Hazard produces something special or dives and wins a free kick in a dangerous area.

If he does finally leave in the Summer they are fecked.

Vadim

Entire gameplan revolves around hoping Hazard produces something special or dives and wins a free kick in a dangerous area.

If he does finally leave in the Summer they are fecked.
Hazard is a dribble merchant. He’s nowhere near the level of Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar. It’s why he’s happy being the big fish in the small pond at a medium size club like Chelsea. Real Madrid would gobble him up.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Reality is all about the europa league for them now.

On this form they're losing at Anfield and Old Trafford and also not beating Spurs at home next week so not finishing above Man. United and probably not even Arsenal either.

They need to wake up and realise EL is still a smooth route into champions league.