Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Guy Incognito

Dont understand why they got rid of Ancelotti when he won the leaague
That was bonkers.

But they never would have won the CL the following season...

I think it's fair to say his Napoli team did play good football, but they caved as soon as any pressure/expectation came on them. As you say though I do wonder whether his reputation proceeds him. He's living off this wave of "sarriball" but I don't think anybody truly knows what that means. Most fans just assumed it meant sexy football, but honestly I've not seen anything special from this Chelsea team.

The problem is he might need 2/3 seasons to fully change the side into what he wants, but nobody can wait that long anymore, you have to be amazing from the 1st match.
It's not just that, his style doesn't fit into the whole Chelsea "backs against the walls", pragmatic ethos they've built up.

Robertd0803

Said it to two Chelsea fans today that you know you are screwed when we win a game at Stamford Bridge. Both agreed.

tomaldinho1

That was bonkers.

But they never would have won the CL the following season...

It's not just that, his style doesn't fit into the whole Chelsea "backs against the walls", pragmatic ethos they've built up.
An echo from their most successful years under he-who-must-not-be-named

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They have no goal threat at all.

Their midfield.
Kovacic - 11 goals + 21 assists in 240 games
Barkley - 31 goals + 33 assists in 218 games
Kante - 12 goals + 18 assists in 208 games
Jorinho -14 goals + 17 assists in 218 ames

Then they have wingers like Willian who has never scored more than 10 league goals in his career. Pedro scored more than 10 league goals 3 times in his career (last in 2013-14) and he spent majority of his career playing for Barca.

Their striker was Morata who scored more than 10 league goals twice in his career.

Obviously goal outputs can always be improved but looking at Chelsea midfield except Barkley don't think any of them will be a threat in final third.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Read they are ready to appoint Zola 'til the end of the season. His managerial career is not that great so it would be another bad choice.

Vadim

Zola has already said that he thinks they should persist with 'Sarri Ball'. So Zola isn't the answer.

Terry's at Villa isn't he? And Lampard won't touch it, he's doing well at Derby.

Chelsea are up a creek without a paddle, so to speak. Couldn't happen to a nicer club.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I think Allegri might get the job at some point in the not to distant future.

izec

Zola has already said that he thinks they should persist with 'Sarri Ball'. So Zola isn't the answer.

Terry's at Villa isn't he? And Lampard won't touch it, he's doing well at Derby.

Chelsea are up a creek without a paddle, so to speak. Couldn't happen to a nicer club.
Not sure if Lampard wouldnt go there, i think he would jump at the opportunity

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Thats their kind of manager.
Yup, and I think he & Juve will part ways soon if they don't win the CL. Juve, regardless of what the table says, have been pretty average this season, & were dumped out of the domestic cup by (much) lesser opposition - Convincingly so, too.

I'd not be surprised to see Allegri at Chelsea in the summer or two.

OleTheGreat

Higuain is a great player but there is a repetitive feeling that he makes poor decisions in front of goal at the most important times. He can add a great deal to the attacking side of any side but i still down he'll make a huge difference on a big day. The man has moved so much, his Juve big for 90 odd million was a joke. Chelsea have bought him for a reasonable price but i still think they over-paid a little. He cannot be their main striker for a long time, that's certain!

Djemba-Djemba

Yup, and I think he & Juve will part ways soon if they don't win the CL. Juve, regardless of what the table says, have been pretty average this season, & were dumped out of the domestic cup by (much) lesser opposition - Convincingly so, too.

They lost at home to a Mourinho managed Utd for feck sake so I think you're right.

We were pretty lucky that night I know but still.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Dont understand why they got rid of Ancelotti when he won the leaague
We didn't get rid of him when we won the league, we got rid of him after a second season full of lethargic and clueless performances.

Djemba-Djemba

We didn't get rid of him when we won the league, we got rid of him after a second season full of lethargic and clueless performances.
He won the double his first season and then the following season finished 2nd.

And it wasn't a never in the title race 2nd like Utd last year, if you'd beaten us at Old Trafford you'd have been level on points with us with 2 games to go.

I think it was incredibly unfair to sack him. Especially to then bring in some shite manager like AVB.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He won the double his first season and then the following season finished 2nd.

And it wasn't a never in the title race 2nd like Utd last year, if you'd beaten us at Old Trafford you'd have been level on points with us with 2 games to go.

I think it was incredibly unfair to sack him. Especially to then bring in some shite manager like AVB.
Our clashes at OT at the end of that season was evidence of what went wrong, both were gutless and despite the score only being 2-1 both times we rolled over tamely.

We finished 2nd due to the sheer mentality of the team allowing us to scrape result after result that we didn't deserve, the tactics in play that season were awful (he made Sarri of this season seem flexible) and everything was stale. Worth mentioning re us being in a title race it was the weakest PL season of all time (71 points often doesn't get top 4 and the Champions only winning away 5 times is unheard off) and we would have still had to have won at Goodison by a higher score United beat Blackpool at home.

Carlo is arguably the best around at making a great moment even better (as he did in the double season), but a rebuild? Forget it. I'll always love him for that season and may not be averse to him returning under the right circumstances but his sacking wasn't anywhere near as harsh as it looked on face value, we were going backwards fast at that time.

the_irish123

Our clashes at OT at the end of that season was evidence of what went wrong, both were gutless and despite the score only being 2-1 both times we rolled over tamely.

We finished 2nd due to the sheer mentality of the team allowing us to scrape result after result that we didn't deserve, the tactics in play that season were awful (he made Sarri of this season seem flexible) and everything was stale. Worth mentioning re us being in a title race it was the weakest PL season of all time (71 points often doesn't get top 4 and the Champions only winning away 5 times is unheard off) and we would have still had to have won at Goodison by a higher score United beat Blackpool at home.

Carlo is arguably the best around at making a great moment even better (as he did in the double season), but a rebuild? Forget it. I'll always love him for that season and may not be averse to him returning under the right circumstances but his sacking wasn't anywhere near as harsh as it looked on face value, we were going backwards fast at that time.
With this logic you guys will have 10 managers in 10 years. Wait you did have it.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool

Doubling down on this now :D Chelsea manager for next season.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Aleggri at Chelsea is a recipe for disaster for other clubs. He would actually use Alonso as a wing back, and he is a fantastic wing-back. He'd use Kante as a ball winner instead of a playmaker. Facing them would be a nightmare, because he'd stifle every big game and go for narrow wins. He had Juventus a game away from a treble twice, losing out to a Madrid team twice that is considered one of the best Madrid teams of all time.

dove

Aleggri at Chelsea is a recipe for disaster for other clubs. He would actually use Alonso as a wing back, and he is a fantastic wing-back. He'd use Kante as a ball winner instead of a playmaker. Facing them would be a nightmare, because he'd stifle every big game and go for narrow wins. He had Juventus a game away from a treble twice, losing out to a Madrid team twice that is considered one of the best Madrid teams of all time.
I feel I heard it last summer when Sarri became Chelsea manager... Chelsea fans were preparing for legendary Sarriball, our fans were shitting themselves. Funny times :lol:

roonster09

Scout
I saw many pundits saying "Sarri is playing Jorginho in Kante's position", I just don't see it how it makes any sense.

Yeah he is playing Kante higher up the pitch and Kante's weakness is him finding right pass or creative pass in final third but how will swapping places help here? Any possession based teams use deep playmaker or someone who recycles possession. Playing Kante in that position means he will be on possession more than anyone on the pitch. How will that help Chelsea as he isn't good passer of the ball?

Either Sarri should drop Jorginho and play someone who is better in that role or change the system. If he plays same system then changing Kante's position won't help them one bit.

settembrini

I saw many pundits saying "Sarri is playing Jorginho in Kante's position", I just don't see it how it makes any sense.

Yeah he is playing Kante higher up the pitch and Kante's weakness is him finding right pass or creative pass in final third but how will swapping places help here? Any possession based teams use deep playmaker or someone who recycles possession. Playing Kante in that position means he will be on possession more than anyone on the pitch. How will that help Chelsea as he isn't good passer of the ball?

Either Sarri should drop Jorginho and play someone who is better in that role or change the system. If he plays same system then changing Kante's position won't help them one bit.
When people say that they are talking about it as a solution to fixing Chelsea's defensive problems. The only clean sheets Chelsea have kept recently with Jorginho playing as the deepest midfielder have been against Huddersfield and Malmo. Anyone good can score against them easily because Jorginho is weak, slow and honestly seems a bit lazy defensively. Then it just becomes a matter of 'stop Hazard and you win'.

I agree that moving Kante deeper wouldn't improve them in attack or in possession but Sarri looks like an idiot every game at the moment as opposition midfielders keep blowing past Jorginho to create and score and he has arguably the best defensive midfielder in the world stood out of position.

roonster09

Scout
When people say that they are talking about it as a solution to fixing Chelsea's defensive problems. The only clean sheets Chelsea have kept recently with Jorginho playing as the deepest midfielder have been against Huddersfield and Malmo. Anyone good can score against them easily because Jorginho is weak, slow and honestly seems a bit lazy defensively. Then it just becomes a matter of 'stop Hazard and you win'.

I agree that moving Kante deeper wouldn't improve them in attack or in possession but Sarri looks like an idiot every game at the moment as opposition midfielders keep blowing past Jorginho to create and score and he has arguably the best defensive midfielder in the world stood out of position.
It's surprising that Sarri haven't used anyone else instead of Jorginho. Fabregas wouldn't have done any worse than Jorginho and his vision is miles better than Jorginho.

Maybe playing someone like Kovacic might help considering he is good passer, can dribble and also better defensively than Jorginho.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

It doesn't make sense, it's lazy punditry.

Kante has never played as the DM in 3 man midfield in England and I don't think he has for France either. He played as a 2 in 4 4 2 for Leicester in the title winning season and in a 2 with Matic, mainly in 5 3 2 in his title winning season with us.

Changing Kante for a player who is more technical and offers more in attack on the right of the 3 might help, or changing formation to play Kante in his position in a 2. Going to be interesting to see what Sarri comes up with in the next couple games.

roonster09

Scout
It doesn't make sense, it's lazy punditry.

Kante has never played as the DM in 3 man midfield in England and I don't think he has for France either. He played as a 2 in 4 4 2 for Leicester in the title winning season and in a 2 with Matic, mainly in 5 3 2 in his title winning season with us.

Changing Kante for a player who is more technical and offers more in attack on the right of the 3 might help, or changing formation to play Kante in his position in a 2. Going to be interesting to see what Sarri comes up with in the next couple games.
Yeah, agree with this.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
They should get Diego Costa to manage them as player manager. It's the only way they'll do well.

Cloud7

Not sure if Lampard wouldnt go there, i think he would jump at the opportunity
Lampard has always struck me as a very intelligent guy.

While he may look at Ole and think that that could be how things go for him (Even though Ole is a vastly more experienced manager than him), I think he might look at the bigger picture. He’s only just gotten into the managerial game, and by all accounts he’s been doing a good job at derby.

If he abandons that for the Chelsea project, he may end up underwhelming at Chelsea, which could potentially screw up any chance he would have of being their manager further down the line, while at the same time his foray into management after Chelsea may be at a less stable club than Derby.

I have no doubt he will want the Chelsea job at some point in his career, but I think he will remain and cut his teeth at Derby rather than jumping onto Chelsea now. It’s not like he will ever be forgotten. He’s one of their biggest legends. As long as he is in management he will have already have a foot in the door to becoming the manager at Chelsea.

Hoof the ball

Sounds to me like the english journo doesn't understand any tactical concept other than the usual English cliche of DM as defensive destroyer. I'm pretty sure he would have used the "But Kante won..." argument as an indictment even if Pirlo was playing in the same role as Jorginho.

It just boils down to naivety.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sounds to me like the english journo doesn't understand any tactical concept other than the usual English cliche of DM as defensive destroyer. I'm pretty sure he would have used the "But Kante won..." argument as an indictment even if Pirlo was playing in the same role as Jorginho.

It just boils down to naivety.
Yes in this country, we see a DM as simply a defensive destroyer.
I said it a few weeks back, Pep wouldn't play Kante as a DM. I'm not even sure he would play Kante.

Eric7C

He has a bit of a point.
He may have a point, but it's not as if he has his midfield working even under his system. Also, it's not a good idea generally to publicly say that your player can't do a particular thing.

Advice to Sarri: look at how Ole is man-managing. The Italian's old fashioned cigarette management style isn't going to cut it at big clubs.