Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I was sure Sarri would go if we lost yesterday, but i think he has some leverage with the club now and might end up staying.

totally convinced he is Juve's main target though, way too noise for that to be untrue.

Still also think we will appeal to CAS, and perhaps have the ban stayed

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
It's been awhile since we've had a manager that plays attacking football and the players love him. I think Sarri should stay and build on this season, the club needs to back him fully and lets see if we can go on todo better.

MagicKarpet

Supports
Tottenham
It's been awhile since we've had a manager that plays attacking football and the players love him. I think Sarri should stay and build on this season, the club needs to back him fully and lets see if we can go on todo better.
You sure the players love him? From what I've seen the players don't show him any respect.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What makes you think the players love him?

Irwin99

Chelsea fans repeatedly booed their team, booed their manager, had a season of farcical unrest at times (league cup final) , had their best player constantly hinting at a move away, their manager often on the verge of being sacked ....

...and they finish 3rd with a European trophy. That’s not a bad season.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Chelsea fans repeatedly booed their team, booed their manager, had a season of farcical unrest at times (league cup final) , had their best player constantly hinting at a move away, their manager often on the verge of being sacked ....

Chelsea thrive in chaos.

They sacked AVB, ended up winning the Champions League. The next season sacked Di Matteo who had won them the champions league, got Rafa in and won the Europa. They were taken down to midtable by Mourinho and bounced back by winning the Premier League.

I'm actually envious because United are collapsing in the chaos, whereas Chelsea only suffer temporary setbacks.

Irwin99

Chelsea thrive in chaos.

They sacked AVB, ended up winning the Champions League. The next season sacked Di Matteo who had won them the champions league, got Rafa in and won the Europa. They were taken down to midtable by Mourinho and bounced back by winning the Premier League.

I'm actually envious because United are collapsing in the chaos, whereas Chelsea only suffer temporary setbacks.
There’s a thread on here about how toxic the United fanbase is when we’re way more tolerant than the lines of Chelsea and Madrid or any big club for that matter.

Chelsea have had a decent season all things considered.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
There’s a thread on here about how toxic the United fanbase is when we’re way more tolerant than the lines of Chelsea and Madrid or any big club for that matter.

Chelsea have had a decent season all things considered.
Tbh i think you guys go too far the other way.

From the outside the unwavering support of Moyes was as surreal as it was ridiculous. Even Liverpool fans who are known for obscene cult like behaviour with their managers hounded out Roy when they ended up with a similar situation (ie a 'mid table miracle worker' who couldn't adapt his expectations to suit a bigger club incharge).

Can't think of any other big or even second tier club that would have put up with what Moyes was serving at United.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
So since Abramovich bought Chelsea in 2003 they've won:

- 5 Premier League's
- 1 Champions League
- 2 Europa Leagues
- 5 FA Cups
- 3 League Cups

That's an incredible record. They're averaging one trophy per season.

Sterling Archer

I hate it. No matter how bad of a season Chelsea are having they always seem to leave with a trophy.
It probably helps that their fans don't spend their time wishing they lose finals so that another rival doesn't win.

So since Abramovich bought Chelsea in 2003 they've won:

- 5 Premier League's
- 1 Champions League
- 2 Europa Leagues
- 5 FA Cups
- 3 League Cups

That's an incredible record. They're averaging one trophy per season.
It's impressive even after you take away the Mourinho wins:
2 Premier Leagues
4 FA Cup
1 Champions League
2 Europa League

That's more success than City, isn't it? Despite a lot of manager turnover.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It probably helps that their fans don't spend their time wishing they lose finals so that another rival doesn't win.

It's impressive even after you take away the Mourinho wins:
2 Premier Leagues
4 FA Cup
1 Champions League
2 Europa League

That's more success than City, isn't it? Despite a lot of manager turnover.
Well it definitely is if you're a Liverpool fan. :lol:

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
How has that consistency happened? Has it been a fluke? Is it for differing reasons each season? Is it because of the money?

I don't think it's a fluke, it's been happening for too long. There is an argument for it being the money but I think that argument holds up less as time passes. There's no doubt that the huge initial investment before and during Jose's first stint had a huge impact but in recent years the club has been well run and supports itself. Yes they still spend big sums but less than some other clubs and they also sell well. Oscar, Mata and Matic all went for good money. Hazard will go for a huge profit. I think they paid about £30m for him 7 years ago and they have had his best years. They do have real bad signings as well but none of this explains what happens on the pitch.

For all the talk of player power at Chelsea something in that dressing room is right. They dig out results in difficult circumstances and seem to thrive on pressure. To beat Bayern in their own stadium on penalties with that team was nothing short of daylight robbery but it wasn't a fluke. The dressing room culture at Chelsea is very strong and it has had many strong characters in the last 15 years. I believe the culture continues to this day. For all his faults David Luiz is a huge player for the dressing room. JT took to him immediately and I know he had huge respect for David as a person. Azpilicueta is also a strong character. Willian and Pedro are real energy players who run their hearts out. The new guy Rudiger is another strong character who's good for dressing room moral. I think all good teams have a strong dressing room moral. Yes you have to have good players and I'd argue Chelsea have certainly got that but you also have to have leaders to win trophies. People who lead by example and who aren't afraid to tell a bit of the painful truth.

I worked on the construction of Cobham for a couple of years and met a number players and the thing you noticed was the players were always noisy in training. JT and Drogba were huge characters and they set the tone. Call them big mouths if you like but I suspect on the inside the new signings were happy to have such strong players around them. There is a fantastic atmosphere down at Cobham. The youth team games down there are outstanding. Where it comes from I don't know but you used to see Roman Abramovic down there on a regular basis and he always spoke to the players. He is a real fan and they must miss his presence. I was glad to see him at Baku the other night and it wouldn't surprise me if he had some kind words before the kick off.

Chelsea aren't the best team at the moment and with the transfer ban will do well next season to get champions league. Top 6 would be an achievement. The ban may be a blessing in disguise and help some of the youth players into the team. It may also create a siege mentality. We will see.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
@blue blue

We do it for the same reason United did with Fergie (they still do to an extent as they're still the most successful outside of us and City since Fergie retired despite all the problems they've had) and Liverpool did in the 70's/80s, we have a winning mentality that flows through the club from the top level right down to the kids.

That's why I was never worried with Sarri's non trophy winning reputation, I always believed if he got us in same strong positions to go on and win things that he got Napoli we would finish off the job due to expierence in doing so and having the mentality to hold our nerve.

While it's a thing to be proud off that we can keep winning whatever is thrown at us in other ways it's frustrating because it brings to the fore that with a consistent structure we could have won even more (not nesseserily with managers but more everyone pulling in the same direction and appointing managers suited to that direction instead of say building a young team full of Pep players then appointing Jose). I believe with a better structure at the very top regarding the first team we would have totally dominated for a large part of the last 15 years, only Fergie's Ronaldo inspired United side's and now Pep's City would have challenged us if we structured the running of the club at first team level as well as City have.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Signed great, hugely influential players(lampard, drogba, makelele, essien, carvalho, cech, david luiz, kante, hazard, ivanovich, matic, diego costa, fabregas, pedro. Terry coming up from the academy) Hired the right managers at the right time to impart a strong winning mentality on those players -most of whom already had great mentality to begin with- (Mourinho, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Conte). Then mostly kept those players together. The constant managerial turnover was actually good for them, as it constantly gave those players new challenges, kept things fresh and replenished their hunger and motivation

Johan07

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ject-opening-bid-Eden-Hazard-Real-Madrid.html
If this is even remotely true its crazy.
It would be crazy by Madrid to offer 115m for a 28 year old with one year left on his contract. He can sign a pre-contract for nothing in 6 months for fecks sake. They will never recoup anything close to that transfer fee when he is 33.
Its even more crazy if Chelsea actually has rejected it.
I will put it down to it being the Daily Mail.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ject-opening-bid-Eden-Hazard-Real-Madrid.html
If this is even remotely true its crazy.
It would be crazy by Madrid to offer 115m for a 28 year old with one year left on his contract. He can sign a pre-contract for nothing in 6 months for fecks sake. They will never recoup anything close to that transfer fee when he is 33.
Its even more crazy if Chelsea actually has rejected it.
I will put it down to it being the Daily Mail.
Don't be a Daily Mail reader. Please.

Denis' cuff

Didn’t Mourinho win three trophies and finish 2nd with United despite being undermined by Woodward, yet still wasn’t good enough for most?

Johan07

Don't be a Daily Mail reader. Please.
Yeah, should keep off the stuff.
Still, similar crazy amounts (IMO) are floating around.
What would you as a Chelsea fan accept for him this summer compared to keeping him around for the last year of his contract? And it would be interesting to hear the same but "opposite" from a Real-fan.
EDIT
I personally thought that both Eriksen and Hazard, being the age they are and entering the last year of their contracts would fetch maybe 50m tops this summer.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
What would you as a Chelsea fan accept for him this summer compared to keeping him around for the last year of his contract? And it would be interesting to hear the same but "opposite" from a Real-fan.
Nothing less than 100 mil pounds not euros. Honestly i wouldnt accept a bid and make him see out his deal, I dont think hes as must have for madrid as he seems to want to go, another year not going is also another year mbappe moves closer to being available and it was obvious that him and neymar were the first choices.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
EDIT
I personally thought that both Eriksen and Hazard, being the age they are and entering the last year of their contracts would fetch maybe 50m tops this summer.
I don't think I really care in all honesty but anything less than £50 mil and I'd prefer we keep him for another season and lose him on a free transfer.

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal

Very, very small margins that completely change the way you view the season/manager.

If we (Arsenal) won just 1 more game in the league and played a decent 2nd half in the final, we would be the one finishing 3rd in the league plus a European cup. As it is, it's Emery now who has the fans on his back while Sarri has breathing space again.

The lines between failure and success can be incredibly thin. Happy for Sarri though. He deserves this after the way he has been treated.

Irwin99

Very, very small margins that completely change the way you view the season/manager.

If we (Arsenal) won just 1 more game in the league and played a decent 2nd half in the final, we would be the one finishing 3rd in the league plus a European cup. As it is, it's Emery now who has the fans on his back while Sarri has breathing space again.

The lines between failure and success can be incredibly thin. Happy for Sarri though. He deserves this after the way he has been treated.
I get that and agree with it. I think I just find it interesting that some clubs that seem to have such a circus surrounding them at times or a 'toxic' fanbase actually seem to do well (Madrid, Chelsea, and to some extent Barca).

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
I get that and agree with it. I think I just find it interesting that some clubs that seem to have such a circus surrounding them at times or a 'toxic' fanbase actually seem to do well (Madrid, Chelsea, and to some extent Barca).
Yeah. These clubs seem to do well regardless if there is a good harmony in the club or a circus. That's why I think off the field issues don't have as much impact on the pitch as people like to think. Far more important to have great players than to have great camaraderie/preparations. If you can have have both than even better obviously.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Agree with this, it's always very thin line between good season and average one.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Looks like it, though he hasn't exactly been backed by the board either. It's all been very half arsed.
Hasn't he? They signed off on signing Jorginho for £50m to move Kante out of position and brought in Higuain in January. I think he's been backed to some degree, and I think he did a good job all things considered (the dressing room is a bit of a circus!).

ArjenIsM3

Hasn't he? They signed off on signing Jorginho for £50m to move Kante out of position and brought in Higuain in January. I think he's been backed to some degree, and I think he did a good job all things considered (the dressing room is a bit of a circus!).
To some degree yeah. Transfer wise. They didn't exactly have his back when he needed it when players like Kepa were publicly undermining him though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
To some degree yeah. Transfer wise. They didn't exactly have his back when he needed it when players like Kepa were publicly undermining him though.
What should higher ups have done? If I'm not mistaken he was fined by the club.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

It’s quite a feat of cognitive dissonance when people are looking for answers as to why Chelsea win things since Abramovic took over and not thinking about the residual benefits of the biggest investment ever made to a football team in history.

They win because they’ve spent, relatively - don’t look at figures without context - an obscene amount of money to build teams with very good players in them.

The biggest favour Chelsea have had is Manchester City as City’s spending and recent success seems to have made many completely forget exactly how Chelsea became a ‘big’ club.

As a west Londoner, I, and many non Chelsea fans used to laugh (and despair) at Ken Bates’s antics as well as the very vocal National Front minority at Chelsea. That club were very close to becoming luxury housing. And if Roman didn’t like the look of North London from his helicopter we wouldn’t be discussing any of Chelsea’s ‘amazing’ successes over the last 15 years or so.

This isn’t meant as a slight on any Chelsea fans that may be reading this, but let’s not rewrite history. Arsene Wenger, among many, hated Chelsea’s financial ‘doping’ long before the Arabs had even heard of Manchester. There’s no special secret to their success - just highly dubiously acquired wealth.