Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Zoo

If you’re going to provoke don’t do so then run away like a coward down the tunnel.

cyberman

There isn't much goal threat from attack too (bar Hazard).
Thats true. I also see why they have so much possession since there's no central forward thrust at all. It reminds me of how we supplied Martial during his debut season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Nullified Sarri ball was well, barely created and chance and the goals they scored are from set piece and just lumping the ball to the box. This is probably the best we have played at Bridge in years.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
My Chelsea conclusions

Kepa distribution is great... He looks like a good signing for them
Kante is in the wrong position
Hazard is very good at football
Morata is not very good at football

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They should have signed a goalscoring RW. Pedro/Willian are just soooo inferior compared to Hazard.

CA1

I thought Chelsea were poor and have done whenever I've seen them this season.

They don't play at a particularly better level than they did under Conte, they're nowhere near Conte of 16/17 even. I think this Sarriball is a total myth. Everything goes through Hazard and just relies on his brilliance.

They were there for the taking from minute one, as soon as we pressed them and put pressure on we looked dangerous.

Bobski

I thought Chelsea were poor and have done whenever I've seen them this season.

They don't play at a particularly better level than they did under Conte, they're nowhere near Conte of 16/17 even. I think this Sarriball is a total myth. Everything goes through Hazard and just relies on his brilliance.

They were there for the taking from minute one, as soon as we pressed them and put pressure on we looked dangerous.
Have to agree here, they are a decent team but that defense is not reliable, the midfield balance might be a problem, great at possession(when you stand off), not much threat, which is exacerbated by the reliance on Hazard. A team in development, not going to be a threat to City this year.

AshRK

Keep hazard quite and Chelsea look average. Sadly we don't have any leaders hence conceded 2 silly goals. Anyways have to say this , the off the ball movement of hazard is just a treat to watch.

CA1

Keep hazard quite and Chelsea look average. Sadly we don't have any leaders hence conceded 2 silly goals. Anyways have to say this , the off the ball movement of hazard is just a treat to watch.
Hazard is sensational, I'm not including him in this at all. Chelsea fans were bemoaning he had a quiet game, he was their best player by a country mile.

They're an average team at the top level.

AshRK

Hazard is sensational, I'm not including him in this at all. Chelsea fans were bemoaning he had a quiet game, he was their best player by a country mile.

They have to understand he cannot do everything by himself. He has been saving them for last 5 years. If he has a worldie of a season they do well , if he is out of form they look toothless.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Not quite correct. We are one top striker from potentially winning the league. You cannot seriously think we dont play better stuff now, that has to be a wind up? I might have had a beer too many, but Chelsea and City will be top 2

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I'd like to see Sarri have a couple more transfer windows yet to bring some more players in before i really judge him, but so far, im pleasantly pleased

CA1

Not quite correct. We are one top striker from potentially winning the league. You cannot seriously think we dont play better stuff now, that has to be a wind up? I might have had a beer too many, but Chelsea and City will be top 2
That Chelsea side we played today was the worst Chelsea side we've played at your place for well over 15 years.

Hazard will be gone at the end of the season, I can only see it going one way for Sarri. Shame cos he seems a good guy.

The United

That Chelsea side we played today was the worst Chelsea side we've played at your place for well over 15 years.

Hazard will be gone at the end of the season, I can only see it going one way for Sarri. Shame cos he seems a good guy.
I don't know maybe we, united, were very good. I mean when the manager let them play in certain situations.

Also gotta be fair for Sarri. It is only his first season. Not that I know enough Sarri to judge anyway.

HNK55

Supports
Chelsea
Lol we went from title challengers to poor in 24 hours.

promisedlanchiao

They had two clear chances and scored both, whereas we still had Lukaku’s early header which he missed. But they got lucky this time with that and added time etc and I’m sure their performance levels will be better in the future, especially their heart and soul Hazard who was awful (fantasy team curse:smirk:). They’re 3rd and outclassed liverpool for a reason.

As for Sarri, always been a good man who plays good football most of the time. Just stop smoking please.

gajender

That's hyperbolic nonsense Sarri may have you playing aesthetically easy on the eye football but you struggle to create chances ,Sarri would need time to make this team work or dare a say few new players as well .

And no you aren't playing better than your best Chelsea versions better than last season sure ,you would be in fight for top 4 not guaranteed top 2 spot far from it.

Last edited:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
If yesterday was any indication, the current Chelsea team isn't anything amazing. You barely created anything and only scored because our players went missing for 2 plays.

If that's top 2 quality, than we're in the contention as well which quite frankly is just laughable if anyone said that about our team.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
We’ve completely changed our style of play this season. 2/3 of our starting midfield never even played for us before, Kante is playing a completely new role too.

Don’t know why anyone is thinking we would title challenge this season? It’s totally unrealistic given all the change, and we have the Europa games as well. Top 4 and any trophy would be a great season.

Sarri has never actually won anything before as well. He needs a trophy. He is similar to Guardiola, we could actually afford him though (and didn’t need to buy his brother a football team..).

If we play as we have done so far this season I’ll be happy, even if we don’t win anything. Some very entertaining games. The team showed character yesterday and good to see Barkley finding his scoring boots. We’ve definitely been lucky as well at times. It will take Sarri a season at least to get us playing as he wants, sure we can improve next year and after if we stick with it.

CA1

Lol we went from title challengers to poor in 24 hours.
You were never challengers in my eyes, I've seen you play a few times before yesterday and never been impressed once.

Rajma

I really like Sarri. He deserves more than players like Willian and Morata.
Thanks god Woody has overpowered Jose on this one then.

Imagine Martial who Jose was happy to send the other way pairing up with Hazard yesterday.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
We’ve completely changed our style of play this season. 2/3 of our starting midfield never even played for us before, Kante is playing a completely new role too.

Don’t know why anyone is thinking we would title challenge this season? It’s totally unrealistic given all the change, and we have the Europa games as well. Top 4 and any trophy would be a great season.

Sarri has never actually won anything before as well. He needs a trophy. He is similar to Guardiola, we could actually afford him though (and didn’t need to buy his brother a football team..).

If we play as we have done so far this season I’ll be happy, even if we don’t win anything. Some very entertaining games. The team showed character yesterday and good to see Barkley finding his scoring boots. We’ve definitely been lucky as well at times. It will take Sarri a season at least to get us playing as he wants, sure we can improve next year and after if we stick with it.
I think Sarri has already implemented his system by getting Jorginho and Kovacic in. Now your success is just a case of finding the right personnel. If you're able to upgrade the striker then the team will go up a level but other than that you're pretty much a Sarri team already and another year won't have you playing any better.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think Sarri has already implemented his system by getting Jorginho and Kovacic in. Now your success is just a case of finding the right personnel. If you're able to upgrade the striker then the team will go up a level but other than that you're pretty much a Sarri team already and another year won't have you playing any better.
Napoli improved their points every season under Sarri, they had Raffa before so a similar transition of style. I think he can get a lot more out of the players too, especially Morata. I think we need to give Morata a lot of starts this season, give him a chance to get his confidence and sort his head out. If he doesn't improve we'll have to find a new striker for next season.

I'm fairly certain that if Morata does go back to La Liga / Serie A and is happy, he'll show the quality he did before, getting to CL semi finals / scoring in the finals with Juve and scoring goals at RM. He has the quality, but just isn't right at the moment. We need to give him a chance though, no other choice this season.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Napoli improved their points every season under Sarri, they had Raffa before so a similar transition of style. I think he can get a lot more out of the players too, especially Morata. I think we need to give Morata a lot of starts this season, give him a chance to get his confidence and sort his head out. If he doesn't improve we'll have to find a new striker for next season.

I'm fairly certain that if Morata does go back to La Liga / Serie A and is happy, he'll show the quality he did before, getting to CL semi finals / scoring in the finals with Juve and scoring goals at RM. He has the quality, but just isn't right at the moment. We need to give him a chance though, no other choice this season.
Problem with Morata is fully firing and confident he's quality but because of his conference issues we will never see that version of him enough to truly benefit. I think it's only a matter of time until false 9 with Giroud super sub is the MO.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
That's hyperbolic nonsense Sarri may have you playing aesthetically easy on the eye football but you struggle to create chances ,Sarri would need time to make this team work or dare a say few new players as well .

And no you aren't playing better than your best Chelsea versions better than last season sure ,you would be in fight for top 4 not guaranteed top 2 spot far from it.
I will put any money on it, City and Chelsea top 2. We always do it with a new manager.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Still reckon Hazard stays, Madrid will go for Mbappe or Neymar, Hazard pens new deal. The guy himself has said he wont force an exit or kick a fuss, if he has to stay he will be happy also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Are you basing that statement solely on our performances down the years vs United or think this team in general are the worst Chelsea team in 15 years?

If the latter you couldn't be more wrong, this isn't even the worst Chelsea team of this calendar year, let alone the last 15.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea

After yesterday's game, Glenn Hoddle reckons Kovacic starts ahead of RLC because he's foreign.

Am I underrating RLC or is that a completely deluded opinion? It's around the 3 minute mark! :eek:

Pete Dahh Sneak

Supports
Chelsea

After yesterday's game, Glenn Hoddle reckons Kovacic starts ahead of RLC because he's foreign.

Am I underrating RLC or is that a completely deluded opinion? It's around the 3 minute mark! :eek:
No you’re not underrating RLC. He’ll never be more than a sub at a top club.