Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
We need to look up. Haven't seen the game. We've suffered some defeats in last few seasons but still finished the seasons with Silverware.

Top 4 / cl and a trophy are the goals and we need to stay focused on them. This result is done and we focus on the next game.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Jorginho got roasted for the third goal. Still a very good player though.
I’ve seen him caught out a few times off the ball this season. Class act in possession but very questionable off the ball IMO, slow and doesn’t tackle

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Good grief, Planet Football is a terrible site.

Sample article:
Planet Football said:
Maurizio Sarri and cigarettes: A timeline of a turbulent relationship

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I’ve seen him caught out a few times off the ball this season. Class act in possession but very questionable off the ball IMO, slow and doesn’t tackle
Sure he got beaten there, but David Luiz shouldn't go in like that. He gave him the best possible chance of scoring. Let him go to his right and don't go in.

Bearded One

Spurs (and by extension Poch) have a knack for decoding and breaking top teams in the league. Once again they decoded Sarri's chelsea as they did Pep's first team in the epl (by outmuscling them physically and being tight on them) and Conte's Chelsea (by exploiting space behind their wingbacks and their aerial weakness).

On saturday Poch showed again why he is highly regarded by many. He recognized that stopping Jorghino would effectively disrupt Chelsea's rhythm and that worked to a tee. Chelsea was totally destroyed by Spurs.

I expect to see other clubs copy this model going forward.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
We have to get a striker in January. Trying to win games without a striker takes an extra toll on your players mentally and physically. If anyone half decent is available in January I hope we go for it.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
We are one top striker away and CB from being a very strong side. We were always going to buy a striker in January IMO, and id like to see our side after Sarri gets a few windows to get players out and in.

Jorginho is very good. There is talk of us re-signing Ake using our buyback agreement which i would not be against, in place of Luiz. Luiz is a terrific footballer but is not a centre back. If we could get maybe Ake, Pulisic and someone like a Insigne from Napoli in Jan, id be very confident of top 4. Still am regardless.

Why would Ake want to return to Chelsea ?
Chelsea give up on players and then think they would be ecstatic to return.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We have to get a striker in January. Trying to win games without a striker takes an extra toll on your players mentally and physically. If anyone half decent is available in January I hope we go for it.
So you guys wanted Lukaku right?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
So you guys wanted Lukaku right?
Ah, Morata's lost brother! I wanted him to stay back then because he seduced me saying all the right things; even had a video of him visiting Stamford Bridge on a school trip (I think) saying one day he's gonna make it here! I now see him saying all the right things for United fans! :D

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Ah, Morata's lost brother! I wanted him to stay back then because he seduced me saying all the right things; even had a video of him visiting Stamford Bridge on a school trip (I think) saying one day he's gonna make it here! I now see him saying all the right things for United fans! :D
Oh you know we pay him to say such things. His heart lies with Chelsea :D.

I suggest Chelsea move heaven and earth to sign him in January.

Ether

Would you take Callum Wilson?

paulscholes18

Might be worth Sarri trying 4-2-3-1, it’s the only way I can see Jorginho & Kante most effectively, takes some of the pressure of Jorginho having Kante next to him doing his running. Also means that Kante doesn’t need to be in the opposition final 3rd which isn’t a strength of his. If he wants to keep 4-3-3 might be worth playing RLC over Kante

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Many pundits kept talking about how Kante should play where Jorginho does, and that his current position makes him a worse player. For me, when Kante was at his best he played in counterattacking systems, this was definitely true with Leicester, and Conte's Chelsea and even France. Now he plays in a team that wants to keep possession play intricate football and imo that is the issue.

Is he just world class for counter attacking sides, but not in sides that aim to keep possession and play intricate football like Sarri, and will he continue to be 'average' regardless of where he plays?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
What about Abraham? Will he make it for you guys ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If Hazard does not sign a new contact and they are forced to sell him they might already have their replacement in Hudson-Odoi

cheeky_backheel

Many pundits kept talking about how Kante should play where Jorginho does, and that his current position makes him a worse player. For me, when Kante was at his best he played in counterattacking systems, this was definitely true with Leicester, and Conte's Chelsea and even France. Now he plays in a team that wants to keep possession play intricate football and imo that is the issue.

Is he just world class for counter attacking sides, but not in sides that aim to keep possession and play intricate football like Sarri, and will he continue to be 'average' regardless of where he plays?
The way Chelsea is currently setup, with Jorginho as a DLP and pushing Kante upfield and to the side, basically makes it easier for teams to bypass kante and reduces his effectiveness in ball winning.

To get the best out of Kante imo, he should be the lone DM or in a pair, but in either case, sitting in front of the defence. He is not as capable going forward and thus pushing him upfield is shooting yourself in the foot.

Sarri should expect more teams to deny/pres to sure Jorginho and would be interesting to see how he responds. Against Spurs, I felt he should have swapped Jorginho and Kante or brought on Cesc for Kante.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Do people want to see Kante finish with 150+ touches a match? Because that what he would need to do playing in Jorginho's role. Jorginho leads the PL in passes completed and he lead the Serie A several years in the same category. All the attacks start with him. Their build up be a lot worse if Kante was there. If anything Kante is the one that needs to adjust not Jorginho or Sarri. There is no reason why he could not play the same role Allan played for Napoli under Sarri.

Seven Seas Sardines

Do people want to see Kante finish with 150+ touches a match? Because that what he would need to do playing in Jorginho's role. Jorginho leads the PL in passes completed and he lead the Serie A several years in the same category. All the attacks start with him. Their build up be a lot worse if Kante was there. If anything Kante is the one that needs to adjust not Jorginho or Sarri. There is no reason why he could not play the same role Allan played for Napoli under Sarri.
From what I've seen he's better with the ball than Kante? Anyone care to wage in?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
No one says he should play the Jorginho role of course but he could play closer to him, with him impetus on him carrying the ball forward and being threatening offensively where he's obviously at his weakest. It would mean changing too much of Chelsea's general structure which is understandable if Sarri doesn't go down that road.
Long term Kante will either turn in a very good ball carrying midfielder (which I doubt he ever will) or he could find himself on the bench

Mcking

Moving Kante to Jorginho's position will severely reduce the effectiveness of this Chelsea team in possession, depriving it of it's greatest strength. Kante can't do a third of what Jorginho can do in possession. If Kante is the master at tackling and intercepting, then Jorginho is the master at passing and Sarri/this chelsea team value possession and relies heavily on it over the dirty side of things. Jorginho is vital to Sarri's philosophy and if this conundrum leads to dropping of one of the midfielders, it will obviously be Kante as Jorginho is too valuable to the philosophy - Jorginho can't play in a two and I would say it matters little how good Kante is.
Kovacic doesn't seem to fit very well in the advanced role as he seems a bit reluctant to get involved in attacking moves. I could imagine him doing a better job than Kante in the Allan role. He is good enough for the defensive side of things since Chelsea have most of the possession anyway and he is much better than Kante in possession.

Last edited:
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Moving Kante to Jorginho's position will severely reduce the effectiveness of this Chelsea team in possession, depriving it of it's greatest strength. Kante can't do a third of what Jorginho can do in possession. If Kante is the master at tackling and intercepting, then Jorginho is the master at passing and Sarri/this chelsea team value possession and relies heavily on it over the dirty side of things. Jorginho is vital to Sarri's philosophy and if this conundrum leads to dropping of one of the midfielders, it will obviously be Kante as Jorginho is too valuable to the philosophy - Jorginho can't play in a two and I would say it matters little how good Kante is.
Kovacic doesn't seem to fit very well in the advanced role as he seems a bit reluctant to get involved in attacking moves. I could imagine him doing a better job than Kante in the Allan role. He is good enough for the defensive side of things since Chelsea have most of the possession anyway and he is much better than Kante in possession.
Sarri ball is less than 6 months old at Chelsea. Even seasoned players like a
Kante are learning new roles. Give it time. The few games in which the likes of Kante and Kovavcic have played their roles to perfection the chelsea midfield has looked nigh unplayable.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Why would Ake want to return to Chelsea ?
Chelsea give up on players and then think they would be ecstatic to return.
How many players did Real "give up on" that went crawling back? Most players aren't as petty as the average fan, that and the fact we have a different manager to the one that deemed him surplus means there's every chance Ake would return if we made a serious attempt to get him back.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I'll just leave this here...
Amazing level of conditioning on Giroud, would love to know what cycle he is on. I think there's got to be some Clenbuterol working there, I doubt he's using t3 since his hairline is impeccable.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Amazing level of conditioning on Giroud, would love to know what cycle he is on. I think there's got to be some Clenbuterol working there, I doubt he's using t3 since his hairline is impeccable.
You appear to know a lot about this.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You appear to know a lot about this.
You are Kolo Toure and I claim my £5
I'm just admiring a well crafted physique :angel:

His diet has got to be impeccable, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on low doses of TrenAce (Trenbolone Acetate) because the vascularity and fullness across his upper chest and shoulders is a sight to behold. Fabregas looks like a skinny drug addict while Giroud looks like a sculpted god, his skin is so thin and smooth it almost looks fake. He emasculates him.

Needham

I'm just admiring a well crafted physique :angel:

His diet has got to be impeccable, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on low doses of TrenAce (Trenbolone Acetate) because the vascularity and fullness across his upper chest and shoulders is a sight to behold. Fabregas looks like a skinny drug addict while Giroud looks like a sculpted god, his skin is so thin and smooth it almost looks fake. He emasculates him.
But look again and you'll notice a fullness inconsistency between shoulder traps. He's also lacking cleat acuity in the lateral sandtraps of both upper abs. And the less said about the christ rampacity of his pectoral shats the better. Needs to drink more milk.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
But look again and you'll notice a fullness inconsistency between shoulder traps. He's also lacking cleat acuity in the lateral sandtraps of both upper abs. And the less said about the christ rampacity of his pectoral shats the better. Needs to drink more milk.
As someone who is well versed in nutritional science I find this hilarious and appreciate the effort :D