Chelsea 2018/19 - 3rd and European Champions. Sarri, not sorry

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Another goal for Abraham (13 league games, 10 goals/1 assist - Skewed somewhat by the 5-5 midweek, but still). When do the Chelsea fans think he'll be featuring for them? Next season, or a bit later?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Another goal for Abraham (13 league games, 10 goals/1 assist - Skewed somewhat by the 5-5 midweek, but still). When do the Chelsea fans think he'll be featuring for them? Next season, or a bit later?
He isn't good enough for them.

Can see us signing him if we get promoted end of the season.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He isn't good enough for them.

Can see us signing him if we get promoted end of the season.
What sort of money do Villa have nowadays, assuming they got promotion? We sold Ake to Bournemouth for £20 mil last year, Tammy is a English centre forward with years left on his contract so would certainly cost more than that.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I'm just admiring a well crafted physique :angel:

His diet has got to be impeccable, I wouldn't be surprised if he's on low doses of TrenAce (Trenbolone Acetate) because the vascularity and fullness across his upper chest and shoulders is a sight to behold. Fabregas looks like a skinny drug addict while Giroud looks like a sculpted god, his skin is so thin and smooth it almost looks fake. He emasculates him.
How much dedication actually goes into that? I always assumed it was just like a few months of gym and eating a lot of chicken!

padr81

Supports
Man City
How much dedication actually goes into that? I always assumed it was just like a few months of gym and eating a lot of chicken!
I wish... Years of crazily clean eating, supplements and a strict training regime I'd say. Guy obviously looks after himself in a way even most pro athletes don't. Can't look like that if you come back to pre-season with an Aguero belly.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
What sort of money do Villa have nowadays, assuming they got promotion? We sold Ake to Bournemouth for £20 mil last year, Tammy is a English centre forward with years left on his contract so would certainly cost more than that.
Well we had another takeover this summer and would of course get all the premier league riches again. Apparent ITK on our forum says there's an option to buy if we go up anyway.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I think Sarri needs to change style of play for games away from home when we don't play a full strength team. It's all very well us trying to be Barcelona but unfortunately last night we looked like Wenger's Arsenal at the back, soft. Can see what he's trying to do. We should Keep the 4 3 3 but change tactically, put Kante as a defensive midfielder and play with quick transitions, concede possession and play on the counter attack.

First goal too easy to get a shot off and should have been saved. Second goal, Christensen mistake with a simple square ball and generally terrible from us. Don't think Willian was fouled either. Referee was pretty awful at times generally though, that is the premier league though. Morata and Willian should have penalties though for me. In any other European leagues at least one of those would be given and probably a red / yellow card as well.

Sarri needs to adapt to the league, lots of teams are physical and get away with playing in a way that you can't in any other country. Needs to adapt to it. When we play Brighton away unless we have our complete team available to play Barcelona style we should change tactically.

cheeky_backheel

Sarri ball is less than 6 months old at Chelsea. Even seasoned players like a
Kante are learning new roles. Give it time. The few games in which the likes of Kante and Kovavcic have played their roles to perfection the chelsea midfield has looked nigh unplayable.
Time is not going to make the issues go away but likely make it worse, as more team catch on to the flaws in the system.

The core of the problem is that jorginho lacks pace and physicality, and he is defensively suspect. Sarri could get away with it in the slower Serie A, but the PL is a different level.

The problem is only compounded by Kante not have the playmaking nor offensive abilities required of his new role, while playing him further upfield takes away his biggest strength.

Current Chelsea lineup is biased, with a heavily offensive left side (Hazard+kovacic+ alonso) and a very defensive right side ( willian+kante+azzi). Thus teams are more likely to attack down the left, hoping to catch Alonso upfield and exploit the lack of pace of Jorginho.

Sarri will need to either change the formation or his personnel to fix it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Wasn't Hazard supposed to explode this season due to Sarri's offensive football? Hasn't scored in a while now.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Bump

Very impressed with Chelsea's tactical evolution under Sarri. The first half they rode their luck, but they were clearly the best side in the second half. Evaded City's press well enough to create a good amount of chances.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
They pass the ball very well. Almost never see them hoof it aimlessly.

kidbob

Interesting to hear that Sarri said that his team find it hard to remain motivated and that they need to find that motivation consistently and not just against the top sides. Chelsea have the ingredients of a title challenge but not the overall application. Obviously you guys need a striker, anyone that Chelsea fans think could come in in January and make a difference?

Otherwise in the summer I see Sarri moving Azpi back to centre half with a new partner and see 2 new full backs (RB being the more essential), a striker, a RW and maybe a new CM (but not as important). Interesting to see how he gets on, he was my second choice (after Klopp) for the United job, a really astute coach.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Interesting to hear that Sarri said that his team find it hard to remain motivated and that they need to find that motivation consistently and not just against the top sides. Chelsea have the ingredients of a title challenge but not the overall application. Obviously you guys need a striker, anyone that Chelsea fans think could come in in January and make a difference?

Otherwise in the summer I see Sarri moving Azpi back to centre half with a new partner and see 2 new full backs (RB being the more essential), a striker, a RW and maybe a new CM (but not as important). Interesting to see how he gets on, he was my second choice (after Klopp) for the United job, a really astute coach.
Timo Werner perhaps? Also recent news that Hysaj's agent may push for a move to Chelsea in January, though the agreement between Chelsea and Napoli may complicate things (Chelsea agreed to not activate any Napoli players' buyout clauses).

Think the team is totally stocked in central midfield, though Fabregas leaving would complicate things.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Willian, Drinkwater + 50mil for Richarlison, who says no?
Why would Willian go to europa league standard club? (I know Chelsea are in it but they should be back in CL next season). Barca are usually linked to him. He also seems very happy in London.

Maybe Victor Moses would interest Everton more, he's really fallen out of favour under Sarri.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Willian, Drinkwater + 50mil for Richarlison, who says no?
Not too many teams lining up to obtain Danny Drinkwater. People around Leicester think he will go to Fulham in January to team up with his old boss Claudio.

Member 114837

Maybe Victor Moses would interest Everton more, he's really fallen out of favour under Sarri.
Conte made lot of average players look great in his 3-4-3. Same with [Irrelevant point], defensively a liability. The man might cause friction, but he is one hell of a manager. Juventus of today wouldn't be without him.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Conte made lot of average players look great in his 3-4-3. Same with [Irrelevant point], defensively a liability. The man might cause friction, but he is one hell of a manager. Juventus of today wouldn't be without him.
He's excellent at fighting against the odds (probably as good as Fergie on that particular aspect of managing), 2/3 titles at Juve were completely unexpected (the first one was seen as a freak occurrance) and we all know the story around his title win with us. It's when he's made it to the top of the mountain and needs to stay there the problems start with him, he doesn't know how to deal with being a favourite so ends up acting up half because of his personality and half because it takes the attention away from that very flaw, Alegri and now Sarri have got tunes out of players he was basically calling crap.

It's a shame really because a fully motivated Conte is every bit as good as prime Jose (i really hope he doesn't go United as he's the perfect man to sort out their current predicament) but for one pro there's a con not far behind.

Member 114837

He's excellent at fighting against the odds (probably as good as Fergie on that particular aspect of managing), 2/3 titles at Juve were completely unexpected (the first one was seen as a freak occurrance) and we all know the story around his title win with us. It's when he's made it to the top of the mountain and needs to stay there the problems start with him, he doesn't know how to deal with being a favourite so ends up acting up half because of his personality and half because it takes the attention away from that very flaw, Alegri and now Sarri have got tunes out of players he was basically calling crap.

It's a shame really because a fully motivated Conte is every bit as good as prime Jose (i really hope he doesn't go United as he's the perfect man to sort out their current predicament) but for one pro there's a con not far behind.
That explains his failings with Juventus at the Champions league. If I remember correctly, Juventus only had one QF appearance in his 3 years.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Interesting
I'll be very surprised if he moves Azpi I field. He likes his right back capable of operating as a 3rd center half. Its more likely he might look for another cb super comforable on the left if central defence of a 3.

redmeister

Pretty sure we are going to sign Higuain on loan. Just a hunch and media seem to be reporting it, too. Big Sarri favourite
In the previous seasons his goal tally decline from 34 to 24 to 16 and this season is on target for about 11. He's 31 and looks a tad chubby. It's wreaks of Premier League flop. A bit like signing Sheva. I think just about the worst thing Higuain could do is move to the most physical league in Europe.

Classical Mechanic

In the previous seasons his goal tally decline from 34 to 24 to 16 and this season is on target for about 11. He's 31 and looks a tad chubby. It's wreaks of Premier League flop. A bit like signing Sheva. I think just about the worst thing Higuain could do is move to the most physical league in Europe.
He’s never looked in good shape for a footballer. Not surprised he’s declining with age.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Hazard in the striker role doesn't work, Giroud must play. I don't Chelsea were that bad today, they probably should've won. They hit the bar and post a few times and on another day they would've went in.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Dybala would have been perfect signing for Sarri more than Higuain, but I highly doubt Juventus would let him go with so many ageing players they got in the squad.

I don't think Kante has been used properly enough. Because Kante hasn't been used in his strength, their defense has finally been exposed.

He's not Allan! Kante is more defensive type so more effective for defending, he should be used on the left side instead of right side, restrict him from going forward so he can cover Alonso's position when overlapping.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Think Kovacic Jorginho Kante is too defensive. I mean City play with 2 cams and Fernandino. Hope Chelsea dont get Fekir because he's what they need.

Hazard can work in a false 9 role provided they have in place of Wiillian, another wide forward who can get 15 or so goals.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think they're lucky we waited till Dec 18 to sack Mourinho. Would have found the battle for top four a bit harder if they were competing with us rather than Arsenal imo.

Pagh Wraith

Think they're lucky we waited till Dec 18 to sack Mourinho. Would have found the battle for top four a bit harder if they were competing with us rather than Arsenal imo.
They'll finish 3rd anyway. Spurs are the ones you may have a slim chance of catching. But I don't see that either. The top 4 is pretty muchs set.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
They'll finish 3rd anyway. Spurs are the ones you may have a slim chance of catching. But I don't see that either. The top 4 is pretty muchs set.
Chelsea don't impress me all that much. Their success is pretty much exclusively tied to Hazard keeping fit and on form. They're the lowest scorers of all the top sides and I can see them having a slog on their hands in the second part of the season if they don't get a decent striker in January.